Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   TOMB RAIDER General Discussion Thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=187894)

Tonyrobinson 18-01-12 12:55

People are forgetting that it's Karl's personal twitter so it's not going to be about Tomb Raider all the time, as much as we'd like to see Tomb Raider news it's @crystaldynamics or @tombraider that we need to follow. :p

I do think his tweets are 80% food and alcohol related, 15% Percent sport related, 10% family related and 5% Tomb Raider related. :)

To be honest I don't think he likes Tomb Raider forums because we are gonna judge the harshest either way, we are the TRUE official forums. :vlol:

Lukass 18-01-12 13:05

[QUOTE=Tonyrobinson;5924262]
I do think his tweets are 80% food and alcohol related[/QUOTE]

True dat! You're right :pi:

lcroft_lc 18-01-12 14:37

[QUOTE=Tonyrobinson;5924262]People are forgetting that it's Karl's personal twitter so it's not going to be about Tomb Raider all the time, as much as we'd like to see Tomb Raider news it's @crystaldynamics or @tombraider that we need to follow. :p

I do think his tweets are 80% food and alcohol related, 15% Percent sport related, 10% family related and 5% Tomb Raider related. :)

To be honest I don't think he likes Tomb Raider forums because we are gonna judge the harshest either way, we are the TRUE official forums. :vlol:[/QUOTE]

I follow all those twitter accounts.

Love2Raid 18-01-12 16:04

Found this [B]Q&A[/B] while I was browsing [B]Eidos Forums[/B], you might find it interesting:

[QUOTE=Karl Stewart]Thanks for the great questions, everyone. Below are the answers to the picked questions!

[HIGHLIGHT][B][COLOR="Red"]stevo505[/COLOR][/B] asks: Will we ever see some behind the scenes content, such as motion-capture and voice-recording sessions?[/HIGHLIGHT]

Yes, we intend to show lots of behind the scenes content, but are working to ensure that it isn’t delivered in the same old vein as developer diaries. We’re going to do something very special in not-so-distant future, although I don’t want to give it away right now.

[HIGHLIGHT][B][COLOR="Red"]aragorn2[/COLOR][/B] asks: The game will have any stealth system or it will be more action style? [/HIGHLIGHT]

We’re working very hard to ensure our combat system has a variety of different play paths and play styles. Melee, ranged, and stealth interactions all play a huge part in this world. We’re looking forward to showing you our combat system around E3, when we’ll be unveiling it.

[HIGHLIGHT][B][COLOR="Red"]LaraRocks2[/COLOR][/B] asks: Can we expect to see a variety of enemies? or will it be exclusive to the islanders and animals? (ie no more mythological creatures?) and/or boss battles? [/HIGHLIGHT]

I don’t want to keep giving away spoilers. There is obviously an element of mystery to the island that you have to play to properly experience. I can say that there are plenty of people on the island, and lots of diversity in your encounters. I look forward to fans seeing the bow in action, and to hunting. That’s what you do on an island, right? Hunt.

[HIGHLIGHT][B][COLOR="Red"]adobeARTIST[/COLOR][/B] asks: Now that Lara is so much more humanized (bravo on that direction of character development) what's the potential to see her get involved in any relationships? [/HIGHLIGHT]

I’ve read and fed into the script now on many, many occasions, and I can tell you that there is no love interest in this game. She is trying to survive. She is busy. Surviving the situation is all she can cope with right now; surviving a relationship would be a bit tough. In one of the next releases we could possibly see this more human Lara meet someone, but that is way over the horizon.

[HIGHLIGHT][B][COLOR="Red"]Foundered[/COLOR][/B] asks: All the past games have had Lara search for an artifact. Will the goal of the game be an artifact, or survival?[/HIGHLIGHT]

Lara has landed on an island that is shrouded in mystery, so obviously we want her to uncover that mystery. First and foremost she has to survive. There is a core discovery to be made, and that core discovery will unlock the mystery of the entire island and answer a lot of questions for you. There are items and artifacts that you have to pick up and find around the island, but everything points to this big discovery.

[HIGHLIGHT][B][COLOR="Red"]larafan-25[/COLOR][/B] asks: Will the axe interact with fixed climbing points, or will we be able to free climb with it? [/HIGHLIGHT]

We have a very wide range of fixed points, guaranteeing you’ll have freedom of movement. There are limitations, however, like not being able to jump off the side of a cliff and hook onto the side at random to free climb. The real world doesn’t work like that. Like real life you can’t just walk up to a cliff and assume you can climb it. It may be too steep, or too rocky, or jagged. But then there will be other areas perfect for climbing. It will feel organic and natural. The path won’t be screaming at you – no white ledges.

PS. Meagan accidentally picked 6 questions instead of 5, so you guys get a bonus one for this first Q&A session :)[/QUOTE]

p.s.
Due to the wide range of different topics addressed, I think it would be best to just discuss it here, in the [B]general discussion[/B] thread. But if you can't suppress your urge to create a new thread then by all means go right ahead. :)

NightWish 18-01-12 16:11

Hey guys I saw that someone has asked Karl questions.

I am wondering could someone ask him something about the overall direction of the franchise as a whole past this game. Like what would be the direction of the next? If the gameplay in this game is so focused on darkness, survival, horror, and gore many people might like those features. What would happen if poeple want more of that?

And does not having supernatural enemies in this game mean that the supernatural element is gone from the franchise replaced by complete realism and logic?

I think that they should talk more about that

Lukass 18-01-12 16:14

^ Thank you for posting this. Interesting....

NightWish: Do you think he would answer a question about TR10 when he can't even tell us million of things about TOMB RAIDER? That is not gonna happen. Don't be fool I guess.

lcroft_lc 18-01-12 16:33

Yaay. Karl said a new word instead of [B][SIZE=3]VERY SOON[/SIZE][/B]. Its "[SIZE=3][B]not-so-distant future[/B][/SIZE]". :jmp:

larafan25 18-01-12 17:03

**** me.

Holyu crap.

Karl you just made my life.

STEALTH.

STEALTH.

Hands down. I'm dead.

edit: Also, you can tell "The island has a whole lot of mystery" is one of those answers that goes either way.

Either "No, no supernatural enemies, but this is my way of getting around such a redundant question" or "uhmmm...I've been trying not to give the plot away, so stop asking, the island has [I]mystery[/I]".

We've tangled ourselves up in a web. Don't spoil us CD, but do tell if there are supernatural enemies, so we know when and what to expect at the end of the game when we're greeted with a bunch of freaky ****ed up monsters ala Uncharted 1.

It makes me feel gross thinking back to how everything was just given to us in a constant traditional style of media, like non of it mattered in the game and was just for talking about.

edit: Oh fudge, my question was picked! <3

I understand what he means, and this is essentially what I've expected (not my dream of course). That we'll probably find some surfaces looking climbable (sort of like vines in the classic games) and some other parts of the rock not looking climbable. However I would have thought it would be different, like the climbable part would be more rough and crumbly looking like in Lara's Shadow. Man, they really went to town on these questions. Awesome!

Lukass 18-01-12 17:05

:yah: :jmp: :yah: :jmp: :yah: :jmp:

[QUOTE][B]I look forward to fans seeing the bow in action, and to hunting. That’s what you do on an island, right? Hunt.[/B][/QUOTE]

Love2Raid 18-01-12 17:09

[QUOTE=larafan25;5924557]**** me.

Holyu crap.

Karl you just made my life.

STEALTH.

STEALTH.

Hands down. I'm dead.
[/QUOTE]
Creep close, press a button and a QTE will start. I bet it's going to be like that, lol. :p

I am surprised that he answered your question about the axe. They're slowly giving away more details about gameplay now. Unfortunately we will have to wait till E3 for combat. :(

larafan25 18-01-12 17:14

[QUOTE=Love2Raid;5924569]Creep close, press a button and a QTE will start. I bet it's going to be like that, lol. :p

I am surprised that he answered your question about the axe. They're slowly giving away more details about gameplay now. Unfortunately we will have to wait till E3 for combat. :([/QUOTE]

I kind of had it planned we'd see combat at E3.

Which leads me to believe we'll get a gameplay trailer either before or at GDC. Although I'd expect more of a demo at GDC.

I'm sad that he had to give away the bit about the artifacts.

It's sad that the fan base is so touchy and must know that this IS Tomb Raider and there IS an artifact. Why can't we just play the game and be surprised by the story we get tangled up in?

I think we should focus on the gameplay and whether we like the way it operates.

I like that combat is going to have variety, and I'm glad white ledges are gone. I think climbing is just going to be fun in this game, I hope the axe is fun to use regardless of it not offering freeclimb.

Although that does make me question how much skills and control we have when it comes to exploring the island.

Love2Raid 18-01-12 17:21

He didn't say what he meant with artifacts (artefacts?). It could be a rusty key for all we know. Not valuable, but it's still an artifact. :D

I do not want to hear [B]anything[/B] more about the enemies, it must remain a surprise! :-)))

I never expected complete freedom (climbing etc). I doubt there will be much skill involved in platforming.

slavo120 18-01-12 17:23

[QUOTE][B]not-so-distant future[/B][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i41.************/2na2ww8.gif[/IMG]

larafan25 18-01-12 17:23

[QUOTE=Love2Raid;5924592]He didn't say what he meant with artifacts (artefacts?). It could be a rusty key for all we know. Not valuable, but it's still an artifact. :D

I do not want to hear [B]anything[/B] more about the enemies, it must remain a surprise! :-)))

I never expected complete freedom (climbing etc).[/QUOTE]

I hoped for free climb. But I sort of expected something more like the quick climbing in Lara's Shadow.

Which nobody should have much of an issue with considering it's essentially the same as the textured surfaces in the classics, with some crumbly bits of rock signaling interaction, or sometimes vines.

I just hope the island has physical depth and intricacy, whether we're moving across it or up it, I want it to feel big and real.

Love2Raid 18-01-12 17:33

I think they'll make the platforming fun, neither super obvious nor tedious. I also think that it won't be really different from for example Underworld or Anniversary, but with a few new things added and obviously better and more realistic animations. I can't wait to try it out!

About the size of the island, I have no doubt that we will be overwhelmed once we climb out of that cave and get the chance to look around. It's like taking all the levels of for example TRU and pasting them next to each other, with paths connecting them in various ways, incl. Beneath the Ashes and Lara's Shadow. Maybe even bigger!

larafan25 18-01-12 17:35

[QUOTE=Love2Raid;5924616]I think they'll make the platforming fun, neither super obvious nor tedious. I also think that it won't be really different from for example Underworld or Anniversary, but with a few new things added and obviously better and more realistic animations. I can't wait to try it out!

About the size of the island, I have no doubt that we will be overwhelmed once we climb out of that cave and get the chance to look around. It's like taking all the levels of for example TRU and pasting them next to each other, with paths connecting them in various ways, incl. Beneath the Ashes and Lara's Shadow. Maybe even bigger![/QUOTE]

I feel like we're not going to have nearly as many ledges on walls like Anniversary though.

I think the climbing will be more similar to the moves we do in the classics but with the controls of the past three games.

IDK.

I just all of these level don't feel so enclosed. I don't want to see small hills with just enough slope that I can't run over and explore. I want to go everywhere.

MyRaider4Life 18-01-12 17:49

Hmm, does anybody else think that June is too close to release to be unveiling the combat? I mean, that's roughly 3 months before release... it just feels too close.

Rai 18-01-12 18:16

[QUOTE=Love2Raid;5924460]Found this [B]Q&A[/B] while I was browsing [B]Eidos Forums[/B], you might find it interesting:

p.s.
Due to the wide range of different topics addressed, I think it would be best to just discuss it here, in the [B]general discussion[/B] thread. But if you can't suppress your urge to create a new thread then by all means go right ahead. :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you for posting :tmb:. Very interesting. It almost feels like they're answering questions instead of 'soon', or 'can't answer yet' :p

Love2Raid 18-01-12 18:17

^
No problem! :hug:
[QUOTE=larafan25;5924620]I feel like we're not going to have nearly as many ledges on walls like Anniversary though.

I think the climbing will be more similar to the moves we do in the classics but with the controls of the past three games.

IDK.

I just all of these level don't feel so enclosed. I don't want to see small hills with just enough slope that I can't run over and explore. I want to go everywhere.[/QUOTE]
I think there will be more surfaces that you can interact with than in Underworld. I mean, in that game there were some blocks that you could vault over and some other, that looked pretty much the same, were completely ignored by Lara. So that was weird. I don't think it will be like that this time. And I also hope that there will be less ledges, but they will still be there of course. Except that they're more a part of the environment now. No more randomly placed poles etc. So you won't really know how you will climb a structure when you're looking at it from a distance, but when you get close, it will make sense. In the other games by CD, the path was very clear even from a great distance. Well, that's what I hope.
[QUOTE=MyRaider4Life;5924644]Hmm, does anybody else think that June is too close to release to be unveiling the combat? I mean, that's roughly 3 months before release... it just feels too close.[/QUOTE]
I guess it feels that way indeed, but like I said in another thread, we're just not used to this. CD's marketing strategy has changed a lot since Eidos was acquired by Square Enix...

I think it's fine, it's not like they need our approval or anything, lol. :p
As long as they show all the potential buyers what they've got before the release, it's okay. And it's a big event as well, lots of people watching. It must be something really cool if they keep it hidden till E3. I don't see any problems.

lcroft_lc 18-01-12 18:30

[QUOTE=larafan25;5924581]I kind of had it planned we'd see combat at E3.

Which leads me to believe we'll get a gameplay trailer either before or at GDC. Although I'd expect more of a demo at GDC.

I'm sad that he had to give away the bit about the artifacts.

It's sad that the fan base is so touchy and must know that this IS Tomb Raider and there IS an artifact. Why can't we just play the game and be surprised by the story we get tangled up in?

I think we should focus on the gameplay and whether we like the way it operates.

I like that combat is going to have variety, and I'm glad white ledges are gone. I think climbing is just going to be fun in this game, I hope the axe is fun to use regardless of it not offering freeclimb.

Although that does make me question how much skills and control we have when it comes to exploring the island.[/QUOTE]

See I told it long ago. As they told before they have unique plan on combat system it only can be shown at E3. Last year at E3, Tomb Raider won 2nd most awards, right after Battlefield 3. This year, TR not going to give any damn game any chance. Here comes the best E3 of all time. Can't ****ing wait. :jmp: :jmp:

Tonyrobinson 18-01-12 18:47

Anyone know when the next podcast is due out? :o

Edit: Doesn't matter found the answer! :vlol:

larafan25 18-01-12 19:06

[QUOTE=lcroft_lc;5924728]See I told it long ago. As they told before they have unique plan on combat system it only can be shown at E3. Last year at E3, Tomb Raider won 2nd most awards, right after Battlefield 3. This year, TR not going to give any damn game any chance. Here comes the best E3 of all time. Can't ****ing wait. :jmp: :jmp:[/QUOTE]

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Everyone's going to cra their pants when they see the new TR's combat! It'll be so different! They'll be crazy excited OHMEGAWD!

[QUOTE=Love2Raid;5924704]^
No problem! :hug:

I think there will be more surfaces that you can interact with than in Underworld. I mean, in that game there were some blocks that you could vault over and some other, that looked pretty much the same, were completely ignored by Lara. So that was weird. I don't think it will be like that this time. And I also hope that there will be less ledges, but they will still be there of course. Except that they're more a part of the environment now. No more randomly placed poles etc. So you won't really know how you will climb a structure when you're looking at it from a distance, but when you get close, it will make sense. In the other games by CD, the path was very clear even from a great distance. Well, that's what I hope.

[/QUOTE]

I hope everything blends well. Like, looking at the monastery from a distance I couldn't see what to climb, but seeing Lara on it, I could point out other paths.

NCFirebolt21 18-01-12 20:57

[COLOR=Teal]Stealth and Tomb Raider? Probably the first time ever! Bring it on!

And I know E3 this year is gonna be better than last years after Karl's announcement!
[/COLOR]

larafan25 18-01-12 21:29

[QUOTE=NCFirebolt21;5924992][COLOR=Teal]Stealth and Tomb Raider? Probably the first time ever! Bring it on!

And I know E3 this year is gonna be better than last years after Karl's announcement!
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

AOD had stealth.

I hope they add the ability to cover against walls and such. I want it to work, but it doesn't need to be huge or excessive to work. It can be a piece of combat and still be great.

edit: Oh, I'd also love a commando crawl like in AOD, but somehow feel like it would be too much.

lcroft_lc 19-01-12 04:02

[QUOTE=larafan25;5925053]AOD had stealth.

I hope they add the ability to cover against walls and such. I want it to work, but it doesn't need to be huge or excessive to work. It can be a piece of combat and still be great.

edit: Oh, I'd also love a commando crawl like in AOD, but somehow feel like it would be too much.[/QUOTE]

Damn! Another common with AoD! Hope the review will not be common. :(

larafan25 19-01-12 04:03

Naw, I don't think the game will do poorly.

JsotoTRSaga 19-01-12 04:19

[QUOTE=lcroft_lc;5925808]Damn! Another common with AoD! Hope the review will not be common. :([/QUOTE]

No, it will not Be Common to AOD Don't worry :) im sure this Game will be Great in Fact i Picture myself reading a Game Magazine in the November 2012 Issue saying TOMB RAIDER IS BACK BETTER THAN EVER!
With a Huge 9-10 Rating. And i also picture myself coming here and all of Core's Die hard fans Getting a Life or getting over the Fact That TR Doesn't need Core to Progress. ;)

Stevo505 19-01-12 05:46

[QUOTE=larafan25;5925809]Naw, I don't think the game will do poorly.[/QUOTE]

It won't, I agree. The only way it'll fail (IMO) is if it gets bad reviews. And I think that is almost impossible. I mean even TRU didn't get [I]bad[/I] reviews. Surely Tomb Raider will score higher. And the fact alone that so many people are hyped about it is a good sign.

lcroft_lc 19-01-12 06:01

[QUOTE=Stevo505;5925895]It won't, I agree. The only way it'll fail (IMO) is if it gets bad reviews. And I think that is almost impossible. I mean even TRU didn't get [I]bad[/I] reviews. Surely Tomb Raider will score higher. And the fact alone that so many people are hyped about it is a good sign.[/QUOTE]

I hope those review sites will not be hyped much. Review mainly get better when most of the things are new, innovative & amazing. But if CD give us all the info then it will be a bad effect on reviewers. When IGN gave a 10/10 review to Uncharted 3, I am curious to see if TR get 10/10 ever from a well recognized site.

Stevo505 19-01-12 06:08

[QUOTE=lcroft_lc;5925909]I hope those review sites will not be hyped much. Review mainly get better when most of the things are new, innovative & amazing. But if CD give us all the info then it will be a bad effect on reviewers. When IGN gave a 10/10 review to Uncharted 3, I am curious to see if TR get 10/10 ever from a well recognized site.[/QUOTE]

Anything is possible. :)

I definitely think Tomb Raider can get that perfect score, but it all depends on the final product. I'm hoping for the best.

lcroft_lc 19-01-12 06:44

[QUOTE=Stevo505;5925913]Anything is possible. :)

I definitely think Tomb Raider can get that perfect score, but it all depends on the final product.[B] I'm hoping for the best.[/B][/QUOTE]

Me too. :D

robm_2007 19-01-12 08:23

[QUOTE=Tonyrobinson;5924262]I do think his tweets are 80% food and alcohol related, 15% Percent sport related, 10% family related and 5% Tomb Raider related. :)[/QUOTE]

Go back to grade 1 and refocus on learning basic arithmetic. As for the rest of the stuff, they actually said when we will see combat: E3. That was already a given, but I was sick of all these "I cant say right now" answers. I also am excited to hunt and eat some animals. I think that having fixed points for the climbing axe is a good confession to make. No more of these false promises that say you can do everything and stop at nothing :pi:

Anyways, it's fun to hear new stuff, even if most of it is nothing OTT exciting.

Only TR lover 19-01-12 13:56

Somebody should continue this picture!:)

[url]http://nd04.jxs.cz/482/577/bc523a9f61_69959719_o2.png[/url]

lcroft_lc 19-01-12 14:27

Meagan is playing Tomb Raider 2. She finished Maria Doria level few hours ago & is at Tibet level now. :p

tomee 19-01-12 14:35

[QUOTE=lcroft_lc;5926277]Meagan is playing Tomb Raider 2. She finished [B]Santa Maria[/B] level few hours ago & is at Tibet level now. :p[/QUOTE]

O_O
That's Maria Doria. :smk:

lcroft_lc 19-01-12 15:36

[QUOTE=tomee;5926285]O_O
That's Maria Doria. :smk:[/QUOTE]
Damn! How could I possible mistake one of my favorite level in TR history? :confused: :(

Lukass 19-01-12 15:36

Santa Maria omfg :vlol:

Charlie91 19-01-12 15:44

[QUOTE=Only TR lover;5926253]Somebody should continue this picture!:)

[url]http://nd04.jxs.cz/482/577/bc523a9f61_69959719_o2.png[/url][/QUOTE]

I didn't though I will see here picture from my site:D

Love2Raid 19-01-12 15:46

[QUOTE=Lukass;5926359]Santa Maria omfg :vlol:[/QUOTE]
Maybe that's the xmas version of the level. :vlol:

lcroft_lc 19-01-12 16:48

[QUOTE=Love2Raid;5926367][B]Maybe[/B] that's the xmas version of the level. :vlol:[/QUOTE]

It really is. :pi: