www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Motion Pictures (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Why? (About movies from videogames) (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223708)

Alex Shepherd 18-11-19 16:53

Why? (About movies from videogames)

The first Tomb Raider appeared in 2001: Angelina Jolie. All was I thought was she's going with an extremly long adventure and the screen is going to be just exactly like Tomb Raider games. But why they never make video games just like exactly storyline as in movies? Why they change the story of Lara's father's death, home, second mom and eveyrthing else? Why??? Does Hollywood has its speicifc rule of movies? But Harry Potter is hollywood
Is it really so hard for producers to take the Exact storyline from video games and make it a movie? Just like harry potter. But Tomb Raider,Resident evil, Silent hill,Assassin Creed and others never mention ANYTHING that has to do with video games or they mention a little. Why not copying the video game storyline to movie? WHY EVEYTIME they change everything including Lara herself?

larafan25 18-11-19 21:48

It's because they're stupid. That's the only fathomable reason.

It is such an important detail, that it is a sin for them to change it, or get it wrong.

Yet... it matters so little, so why would they even change it?

Very annoying. <3

Tomb Raidering 18-11-19 21:56

I ask this question to myself a lot. What if the first TR movie was an adaptation of TR1?

Natla, her gang, the abandoned cities and kingdoms, Dinosaurs, the mummies, the Scion would all have made an interesting story. They could have changed parts of the story (a la TR2018), and re-composed the music from the game more... symphonically? The Dinosaur parts could have been hard, idk, maybe it could have been possible?

Anyway, they probably didn’t want to sell the same story twice, literally...... :ponder:

JsotoTRSaga 18-11-19 22:19

Sadly writers have a set of rules when writing a story for a movie, when writing a video game movie they must first find the movie within the games. That is how they view it, instead of making an adaption from the videogames storyline they always change things drastically bc of the "find the movie within the games" view. Sometimes they also want to add their own spin on it on an attempt to fix what isn't broken and/or to leave their own mark. It never works as it should but in TR's case, I'd say it wasn't so bad at all.

Tomb Raidering 18-11-19 22:23

Taking their spin on it gave us the parental issues that we’ve been suffering since Legend. :p

Rai 18-11-19 22:59

Moved to the TR movie section, seeing as you're talking about the movie adaptations :).

Tonyrobinson 18-11-19 23:12

I think it's mostly a way to write a ten hour narrative into a two hour one, they find the elements of what they want to include then build a story and character around it. Games are a harder medium to adapt because they're already a visually cinematic art form and have unlimited time for plot to unfold.

Books are a different medium and are generally easier to adapt.

michaeldt 19-11-19 02:36

Because stories from video games are not written and structured in a way that necessarily works for a film.

That being said, TR2001 also doesn't do a great job of its story (Although I still love it <3).

It may have something to do with the fact that the first movie was written very quickly, rushed otherwise the film couldn't be made.

PinkyPromise 19-11-19 07:39

I never understood why they changed Lara's origin in 2001.

Lara being disinherited by her aristocratic parents because she wants to pursue her dreams. That's perfect. This makes someone rich more friendly to the audience. Instead, they made Lara the daughter of Indiana Jones and it was all more predictable and less interesting.

ccroft2003 19-11-19 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkyPromise (Post 8153143)
I never understood why they changed Lara's origin in 2001.

Lara being disinherited by her aristocratic parents because she wants to pursue her dreams. That's perfect. This makes someone rich more friendly to the audience. Instead, they made Lara the daughter of Indiana Jones and it was all more predictable and less interesting.

Because to get AJ signed on to the film, Simon West changed the script to accommodate her and her ideas to include her real Dad in the movie... VERY ANNOYING!!!! Not to mention them selling Lara to be the "Female James Bond" when she should have been the "Female, English, Indiana Jones". :o

The problem back then was that Lara actually had very little back-story and this left a lot of gaps to fill to transform her into a relevant, relatable movie character that Angelina could play. Back then, Lara was a visual icon on covers of magazines and Lucozade commercials, but not much was really known about her character other than she "kicked ass" while looking "sexy".

Then CD swooped in with the reboot hoping to add their own spin which (for me at least) was very lack-lustre and hasn't worked. They've Americanised the franchise and Lara is now a pathetic shadow of her former self, a caricature of what Americans believe it's like to be upper-class British... :confused::mad:

PinkyPromise 19-11-19 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccroft2003 (Post 8153178)
Then CD swooped in with the reboot hoping to add their own spin which (for me at least) was very lack-lustre and hasn't worked. They've Americanised the franchise and Lara is now a pathetic shadow of her former self, a caricature of what Americans believe it's like to be upper-class British... :confused::mad:

So true. Lara is Lara Cruise now.

Ellioft 19-11-19 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccroft2003 (Post 8153178)
".

This is when I stoped to read because Lara as a british person in the Core games are also filled with a lot of cliches about talking with manierism, live in a manor with a buttler. When reboot Lara live in East London with multicultural peoples who surround her life. It's not in your face I think.

ccroft2003 19-11-19 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellioft (Post 8153193)
This is when I stoped to read because Lara as a british person in the Core games are also filled with a lot of cliches about talking with manierism, live in a manor with a buttler. When reboot Lara live in East London with multicultural peoples who surround her life. It's not in your face I think.

I think the thing is this - Lara's character was simple back in the CORE days. She might have been a bit of a cliche, but the team behind her creation and the script of the games were British, so the humour and cliches were the right ones. This is something that is VERY different to American humor and cliches. For example, a British person knows that it doesn't always rain in the UK... an American probably thinks it does given the image portrayed to them.

CD have changed things so much that not only has Lara herself, but the entire heart of Tomb Raider has been lost - and I believe this came from the British team originally behind it.

This originally started with a complete miss-understanding of Lara from the 2001 movie and AJ meddling with the script to get her own Dad on board. They thought - "What drives Lara, what makes her more interesting to an American audience... oh, i know, lets turn her into a mix between James Bond and Bruce Wayne. Forget the fact she was disowned by her parents for being who she was, who wants to relate to that?"...... :confused:

AimlessThunder 22-11-19 23:13

I think that the current movie Lara iteration is the closest we ever got to classic Lara. Personality wise. I can't wait to see what they have in store for us for the next one.

michaeldt 27-12-19 16:23

Understand that when it comes to adapting an IP- soooo many factors come into play.

It's usually a group of writers all conglomerating to form not only a cohesive story, but ALSO a screenplay that they can successfully pitch to executives. Executives in Hollywood have the final say on what script gets made- which is why a movie like TR had like 4 scripts which were all completely different.

When the 1st TR movie was pitched, it was most likely pitched as a female James Bond/Indiana Jones type film- both examples of films which do in some ways represent the Tomb Raider games, but are also successful film franchises. Executives want a successful franchise, and so pitches like these are the more successful ones.

Also, things like the storyline of a video game usually won't translate well to film- especially pacing-wise. It'd be boring to just watch Lara explore Tombs and figure out puzzles quietly for two hours- it was fine in a video game because of the interactive experience, but with films the audience is more passive, whereas a video game calls for an active audience.

Other factors also come into play such as the directors vision and what the director wants for the character and story. And then to top it all off most Hollywood films are also put through focus groups of many people for feedback and changes to be made to the film.

It's not JUST video game to film adaptations that fail, it's more a fact of too many cooks in the kitchen when Hollywood adapts IP's :p. Although there are successful ones like Harry Potter, LOTR etc- I think video game movies have been hard to crack due to the difference of a passive versus active audience.

Kivlov 31-12-19 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 8153071)
It's because they're stupid. That's the only fathomable reason.

I don't think they're stupid. Producers just think that movies-world is too different from games-world. I suppose they think that some stuff which is good and popular enough for games may be not be so popular for movies.

So, the main reason is fear that they will not get enough fees in cinemas. Therefore, we get all this simplification, shortening. Everything aimed just for lowering the entry threshold, maximizing audience and raising the profit as result.

Avalon SARL 31-12-19 17:57

I believe, in cae of Tomb Raider 2001, they did make a very big mitake.

I am a huge fan of AJ as Lara, but was it really her idea to change Lara in this way and her biography from the games?
If so, I need proof/ link where I can read/watch.

I don't believe that Lara's relationship with her family in the games was even addressed or mentioned when the movie scripts were written. I read that the 2001 movie had a couple of stories all different from each other.

Also, bringing directors, writers and producers who are not hard core fans of the games in the first place is a big problem.

A story where Lara is disowned by her parents is a much more appealing story line to the audience then being Daddy's Daughter which we are till suffering from.

With Reboot timeline still taking place, get ready for adventures where Lara is following her father's footsteps to uncover mysteries he has written down in his many other journals since now she finds interest in archaeology.

Even Lara in the recent movie is worse example in my opinion.

PinkyPromise 05-01-20 11:50

Lara being disinherited by her parents is so perfect. The audience would love Lara. A rich girl who could have had it all but she prefers to pursue her dreams. The story of parents who do not accept their children as they are. Lara would be more interesting for audiences than a rich girl with Elektra complex. I never understood the change.

Angelina never had the idea of ​​changing Lara's biography. There are many discarded scripts and they all presented Lara as the daughter of Indiana Jones-type archaeologists. Simply the screenwriters assigned never played Tomb Raider or they informed themselves and decided to make their version of the story.

Then Crystal Dynamics when they made the reboot they took as a reference the movies and not the games ... they respected the stupidity of Lara's father as Indiana Jones

Tomb Raidering 05-01-20 14:19

^
Imo the LAU-style Richard Croft is better, but I truly agree that it’s done to death. There’s no return from Reboot Lara’s (and indirectly Alicia Lara’s) family background, so we need to accept this and move on; wishing new, better, standalone adventures (both in game and movie media-form) for our beloved Lara on the go.