www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Software Development (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Meta2tr update. (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=135733)

Titak 31-08-14 10:52

^
Ah, thanks HeinzFritz. :tmb:
I was thinking about that as well the other day but did not realise that by just using repeat once I would not be able to see those sectors.

Some questions:
I've started working with Meta2TR on one of my levels, just to get back into the habit.
It is nice to see the differences in lighting now that objects have been merged with the roomgeometry.
The odd thing though is that the lighting on the roomgeometry is different from the non-Meta2TR version... I already noticed this in MoA-part1 and my Canyon levels for CC2. In some cases I don't mind but in one case, the yellowish fog object now has a pinkish tint to it... even if the object is not merged with the roomgeometry. :confused:

And, there's a way to colour-pick light values, right?
But how? :o

Btw, I'm using Meta version 3.1.1.
Would it be better to update to a more recent version or is all that is possible with Meta2TR version 8 possible with this Meta version?

Btw, I really like how Meta2TR8 cleans the level of unused textures.
Quite usefull because when you edit something which changes the textures the old textures will be deleted instead of staying put, adding to the total amount of used textures.
So, good job on that one! :tmb:

I also like the grouping of the textures for objects.
Makes things easier as well.

Another thing I would like to see, if it is possible, is that the order of the roomgeometry texturetiles will stay the same as in the TGA.
I often use blocks of 256x256 for rocks, walls and such (I do apply them as 128x128 textures), and when UV-mapping new geometry, it is easier to have those tiles stay the way they are so I don't have to open new tiles all the time to texture a mesh which needs the four tiles of the 256x256 tga tile.
If that makes sense... :ponder:

HeinzFritz 31-08-14 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titak (Post 7165175)
^
Ah, thanks HeinzFritz. :tmb:
I was thinkign about that as well the other day but did not realise that by just using repeat once I would not be able to see those sectors.
Some questions:
1. If that makes sense... :ponder:

I must confess that only parts of your problem make sense, so I'll guess that you want to know:

1. Why, when you add objects by merging into the roomgeometry, the lightening is different then when you don't merge objects into it.

Increasing the polygon and vertex numbers by merging an object (that allone, may have more vertices than the whole room, the lightening is distributed in a different way.
As your yellowish fog object, I guess that you have messed up the sprites (happens often). Check the sprites.mqo.

2. There is a way to do it, but as far as I remember when I tried it for the first (and last) time, the result was disappointing. At the moment I can't remember how it was done, but there is a tutorial about it, probably in the Titak created & organized tutorial section of this forum.

3. The newest 3 Metaseq version is the 3.16, so you might want to upgrade. The 4.xx versions in the unregistered version don't have major differences to 3.xx except for the possibility to set the grid to values below 1.

4. There is a feature in meta2tr 8 which allows just that by dropping the original tga upon the meta2tr.exe.
Haven't tried it yet, as there was no need for me to use this feature so far.
Try to read the instructions accompanying the release or visit the author's site.

meta2tr 31-08-14 15:42

Quote:

Some questions:
I've started working with Meta2TR on one of my levels, just to get back into the habit.
It is nice to see the differences in lighting now that objects have been merged with the roomgeometry.

Just to be clear, the objects under "STATIC_POSITIONS" and "MOVEABLE_POSITIONS", like the shatter below,
https://sites.google.com/site/meta2t...nsShatter0.jpg
are only meant to show the position of the object in the map. Notice that they have black lines and vertices. The advantage of these position objects is that you can change the moveable or static's position and RGB directly in Metasequoia.

To change the position, click on the object in the list, click on "Local", and move the object by dragging the XYZ cursor. To change the RGB values, change the values in the object's name (only applies to objects with internal lighting, typically statics).

Although the shatter's mesh is shown here, it is just to help the builder in case he or she wants to adjust its position in the room. This mesh data is not imported into the level when you drag RoomAll onto meta2tr.exe, only the position XYZ and RGB values are imported.

In the example above, the shatter isn't merged into the room using mapmerge. If it had been, then we would still see it as above, except it would now be part of the Room002 object's mesh, and would therefore have pink lines and vertices instead of black ones.

Quote:

The odd thing though is that the lighting on the roomgeometry is different from the non-Meta2TR version... I already noticed this in MoA-part1 and my Canyon levels for CC2. In some cases I don't mind but in one case, the yellowish fog object now has a pinkish tint to it... even if the object is not merged with the roomgeometry. :confused:

Don't worry, if you don't use MapMerge on the fog object, even if the fog position object is shown in RoomAll with a pinkish tint, it will still have the original yellow tint when in game. The reason for the difference in tint in RoomAll is that I calculate lighting on objects differently to how tomb4 does. But since these position object meshes are not imported, you will not change the original yellow tint that the fog has.

Quote:

And, there's a way to colour-pick light values, right?
But how? :o

Shift-click.
Edit: remember, position objects (black lines and vertices) are not imported, so if you are changing vertex lighting on a position object, it won't have any effect in game.

Quote:

Btw, I'm using Meta version 3.1.1.
Would it be better to update to a more recent version or is all that is possible with Meta2TR version 8 possible with this Meta version?

You can stay with version 3.1.1, everything works fine.

Quote:

Btw, I really like how Meta2TR8 cleans the level of unused textures.
Quite usefull because when you edit something which changes the textures the old textures will be deleted instead of staying put, adding to the total amount of used textures.
So, good job on that one! :tmb:

I also like the grouping of the textures for objects.
Makes things easier as well.

Quote:

Another thing I would like to see, if it is possible, is that the order of the roomgeometry texturetiles will stay the same as in the TGA.
I often use blocks of 256x256 for rocks, walls and such (I do apply them as 128x128 textures), and when UV-mapping new geometry, it is easier to have those tiles stay the way they are so I don't have to open new tiles all the time to texture a mesh which needs the four tiles of the 256x256 tga tile.
If that makes sense... :ponder:

That is now possible, you drag the project's TGA file and the un-meta2tr'd level onto meta2tr.exe when you first convert to Metasequoia files. This causes the TileNNN.bmp files to have the same layout as the TGA, for example tut1's tiles would be as shown below
https://sites.google.com/site/meta2t...TheTGAFile.jpg

If you have scrolling textures, the process will also create a new TGA file with a repeated scrolling texture at the bottom of the image, this is necessary because scrolling textures have to be repeated in the Tile files, with one placed above the other. I'll explain this in more detail if you need me to.

Happy editing :)

raiderromero 31-08-14 15:46

hi meta2tr, can you help me in the other thread, ive been stucked with an animating range issue for weeks :(

Titak 01-09-14 18:08

Thanks for all the answers, meta2tr! :tmb:

Btw, the pinkish tint is ingame...
I'll use vertex colouring if all else fails. :D

@ HeinzFritz:
I don't see how the sprites would have anything to do with it because my fog object is simply a static object textured with textures from the wad. :ponder:
Simple greyish textures and I lit the object in the editor to make it look more yellowish.
So, as far as I know, it should stay yellowish as long as the object isn't merged with the roomgeometry.

The lighting being redistributed makes perfect sense, although it does nto really explain the sudden presence of purplish hues... :ponder:
Well, the purplish hues are very subtle and I'm already getting used to the slightly changed lighting of things. I could always use vertex lighting if the lighting is not to my liking. :D

HeinzFritz 01-09-14 18:37

Sorry, seems I did not understand correctly what a fog object might be (and I'm still in the fog about it).

Titak 01-09-14 19:49

It's a static object made of flat faces that are either all horizontal for a layered looking fog or sort of randomly placed (horizontal, vertical, diagonally) to form a more cloudy sort of fog.
The flat faces are textured with some faint cloudy looking texture, kinda like the fog layer textures used in City of the Dead.

I think some of these objects can be downloaded from TR Search Engine.

The nice thing about these fog objects is that they give a more irregular looking fog-effect than the fog bulb. And you don't have to worry about distant fog/volumetricfx either. You can use distant fog and then use these types of objects for a local fog. :D

HeinzFritz 01-09-14 20:00

That explanation clears the fog about these objects! I have made similar myself, but as at that time only the default transparency was available, got the light multiplication effect when making them layered.
Now, that you have reminded me of these objects, I'll try to make them again, but using the new transparencies to check how it all would look with layers.

meta2tr 01-09-14 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titak (Post 7166186)
Btw, the pinkish tint is ingame...

Even though you didn't use MapMerge?

Titak 02-09-14 09:46

Yes, odd isn't it. :ponder:
I changed it, having Meta2TR unpack the level again without those objects merged and used the edited RoomAll.mqo nd removed the already merged fog objects from it. Same result.

In another room with another type of fog object, the pinkish hue does not appear.

Well, I'll just merge the objects again and use vertex colouring on them if needed.
No big deal really. :D