www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Motion Pictures (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The General Tomb Raider Movie discussion thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=195044)

Tonyrobinson 25-09-16 13:29

Very possible I guess. It'd be a nice cameo but what if they were to make Amanda fill Sam's role?

shockwave_pulsar00 25-09-16 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson (Post 7657635)
Very possible I guess. It'd be a nice cameo but what if they were to make Amanda fill Sam's role?

It would be just another instance of Hollywood removing minorities from lead roles IMO.

Granted Amanda is from Tomb Raider, but it would just feel like they are trying to get rid of diversity in the cast.

Tonyrobinson 25-09-16 13:54

I think if Amanda replaced Sam there would be a massive uproar. It was rumoured at one point that they'd race swap Sam's character I think maybe having Amanda as a crew member alongside Sam wouldn't hurt though.

Zebra 25-09-16 14:25

The lack of diversity would be the only bad thing about them swapping Sam for Amanda IMO. Other than that, Amanda is a much more interesting and complete character than Sam, especially if they actually make her as over-eager and backstabbing as she was in LAU. Maybe they could sort of merge the roles Whitman and Sam had in the game's story into one for Amanda?

lizardspock110 25-09-16 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebra (Post 7657663)
The lack of diversity would be the only bad thing about them swapping Sam for Amanda IMO. Other than that, Amanda is a much more interesting and complete character than Sam, especially if they actually make her as over-eager and backstabbing as she was in LAU. Maybe they could sort of merge the roles Whitman and Sam had in the game's story into one for Amanda?

Please No ...

Whitman is Far more hatable than Sam

Zebra 25-09-16 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizardspock110 (Post 7657666)
Please No ...

Whitman is Far more hatable than Sam

They're both awful, flat, boring and forgettable characters. I wasn't talking about merging their personalities (because the result would be just as awful, flat, boring and forgettable), I was talking about merging their roles in the plot. So make Amanda the one who (naively) uses herself as bait so she can figure out the mystery and try and control its powers... or sth along those lines.

Heidi_w_ 25-09-16 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson (Post 7657645)
I think if Amanda replaced Sam there would be a massive uproar. It was rumoured at one point that they'd race swap Sam's character I think maybe having Amanda as a crew member alongside Sam wouldn't hurt though.

This movie doesn't need a Johanssengate. Let Sam be Sam (as in Japanese, or at the very least Asian).

I think this is the same scenario as we saw a while back with Jian Ting's rumoured casting as Sam -- she does fairly well in English all things considered, but I really doubt she could pull off a convincing American dialect. So she was most likely a rumour as well.

Heidi_w_ 27-09-16 19:55

Interesting...

One Huge Way Alicia Vikander's Tomb Raider Will Differ From Angelina Jolie's Version

I personally still think the movie will be broadly based on the 2013 game rather than one set between TR2013 and Rise -- for one, it would be clunky, requiring way too much exposition to bring the movie going audience (80%+ of which will not have played the game) up to speed.

Tonyrobinson 27-09-16 20:50

It could be an adaption similar to Batman Begins with the flashbacks of his ordeal.

OrangeFr3ak 28-09-16 03:36

Will it be too predictable if the movie is directly based off the 2013 game? Perhaps the last thing needed would be a copy-and-paste of the game in the live-action format.