www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Motion Pictures (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The General Tomb Raider Movie discussion thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=195044)

lovechin 01-04-13 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigR4444 (Post 6733544)
I love Emmy Rossum... but keep in mind, its April fools day... trust no one... ;)

I don't know her actually. But she looks a lot like our new Lara. I'd be sad if this was just a joke :(

Tonyrobinson 01-04-13 15:12

I would die if true I LOVE Emmy Rossum and she said she always wanted to play Lara!

But it isn't true so... :p

HowConvenient 01-04-13 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson (Post 6733594)
I would die if true I LOVE Emmy Rossum and she said she always wanted to play Lara!

But it isn't true so... :p

Yeah, I check all the pages related to the TR film every day for news, and I just checked again, it's a fake. Not the first one I've seen today, or the first April Fool's casting joke related to this film (Vanessa Hudgens a few years ago, among others). Can you provide a link to where Emmy said that? I can't find it. I loved her in Phantom, but I could never picture her as Lara, she seems too soft and frail to me.

Wild 01-04-13 19:51

Emmy Rossum? No thanks. :p
I know it's April's fools joke and even if it was real, Emmy is too cute to play Lara.

Tonyrobinson 01-04-13 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowConvenient (Post 6733999)
Yeah, I check all the pages related to the TR film every day for news, and I just checked again, it's a fake. Not the first one I've seen today, or the first April Fool's casting joke related to this film (Vanessa Hudgens a few years ago, among others). Can you provide a link to where Emmy said that? I can't find it. I loved her in Phantom, but I could never picture her as Lara, she seems too soft and frail to me.

This was the article link back in 2011 but it is gone now. She talked about her love of the games and that she would like to be in an action movie like Tomb Raider.

http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=3328

Panama 02-04-13 08:35

When will be premiere of the newest Tomb Raider movie?

peeves 02-04-13 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panama (Post 6734602)
When will be premiere of the newest Tomb Raider movie?

The newest movie will be on hold until further notice since there ain't no release date set in stone yet.

PinkyPromise 02-04-13 13:17

fans are so predictable ... always his favorite actress is the latest model. Now Alison is no longer good? Karima? no, now only Camilla ... lol In 2016 the next model be our favorite hahaha

Emma Watson is the typical Jane. Not pretty enough, not sexy enough, not good actress enough and will always be Hermione Granger.

I hope who choose a good actress, young, sexy and British. There are hundreds of actresses, not always have to choose the most famous.

HowConvenient 03-04-13 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkyPromise (Post 6734846)
fans are so predictable ... always his favorite actress is the latest model. Now Alison is no longer good? Karima? no, now only Camilla ... lol In 2016 the next model be our favorite hahaha

For the record, I never like the models, and I hated Alison. She was nothing like Lara; she didn't look like her, act like her, and IMHO came across as a snob right from her first interview, 'Do you have any plans for the future?' 'Yes, I'd quite like to star in the movie,' and she just always looked and acted like she thought she was King Sh*t of Turd Land in everything I saw her in. You can't just put on a costume, do some gymnastics and pose for pictures and call yourself Lara Croft, like my favourite quote, 'I can't answer any archaeology questions, I haven't taken my course yet.' If I had to rank all of Lara's traits in order of importance, IMO gymnastics would be like last. They were cool to watch in the games, but an unnecessary afterthought. But that was the only thing that could possibly link Alison to Lara. *Rant over.*

Atlantisfreak666 03-04-13 05:19

Lindsay Lohan should be Lara

Scorpio1991 03-04-13 05:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantisfreak666 (Post 6735899)
Lindsay Lohan should be Lara

You are joking right? :pi:

Jonipoon 04-05-13 22:03

Many people have been suggesting stories based on the games to be the basis of the story in the new movies.

While I think this is a great idea, at the same time I find it to be boring. Why would I want to watch a movie which I already know the ending to?

Jen_TR 07-05-13 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonipoon (Post 6774077)
Many people have been suggesting stories based on the games to be the basis of the story in the new movies.

While I think this is a great idea, at the same time I find it to be boring. Why would I want to watch a movie which I already know the ending to?

I love playing the games and would be really interested on how a movie version would look. I think the LAU trilogy would make a great movie, yeah I know the storyline but when you replay the games you know what's gonna happen! AoD would make a great movie as well I my opinion. With the reboot movie everyone's gonna know the gist of the story as well if they have played the game. Me personally the more Lara the better! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpio1991 (Post 6735912)
You are joking right? :pi:

I really hope so!! Maybe a spoof tomb raider lol

HowConvenient 07-05-13 22:29

Quote:

Have you never watched a movie or read a book or played a game twice? Or watched a movie you read the book for? It would be a completely different experience and I would love to see the transition onto film and just watch it because if I enjoyed the games I should enjoy the movie if they did it justice, and I love Tomb Raider.

I would love to see AOD or the AOD trilogy we never got made into a movie, but I am kind of sick of the LAO trilogy, they beat the whole parents thing to death, they kind of took away from Lara by making her search for her mum rather than a Tomb Raider just because she loves it, and the storyline of Underworld was a mess, and the ending was crap, in my opinion. :/

Quote:

Me personally the more Lara the better!
:tmb:

Azerutan 10-05-13 01:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonipoon (Post 6774077)

Then you must not be a big fan of enormous big-budget movies such as Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter...

HRHCroft 12-05-13 23:43

The thing with "TR2013" is that the game really is very cinematic. I know it's a word that gets used a lot to describe video games nowadays but it really is one of the most movie-like games I've ever played, with the amount of cinematics and QTEs, plus the way so much of the gameplay blends seamlessly into those moments... So because of that, I'm not crazy about the new movie being a straight up adaptation of the game, which has been speculated about.

I mean sure, it'd be different seeing everyone being played by real actors, etc. but unless they changed a lot of things (a surefire way to piss off the fanbase) I don't think there's much they could to with it to make it feel all shiny and new. I know little things were changed with the first two films but they were only really character based, and neither of the films were adaptations of the games so it balances it out.

motoleo 14-05-13 02:18

I'm not really expecting anything to come out until much later, a movie adaptation of a story we've seen before isn't really practical. Unless they expand it, but that I don't think they'll do.

shockwave_pulsar00 14-05-13 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azerutan (Post 6779633)
Then you must not be a big fan of enormous big-budget movies such as Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter...

Agreed to the max.

Its funny when people say they don't want the story of the movie and a game to be the same. Name one live action video game movie, where they actually follow the story of a game.

Exactly.

That is how we wind up with movies like the Resident Evil series. I'd like a producer to actually follow a game story for once, without changing it to something completely different.

Obviously this movie will make changes to fit within a time frame, but the basic story points should be followed:

- Lara and the others embark on the Endurance to find the lost city of Yamatai.
- A storm causes the Endurance to sink.
- Lara washes up on shore, is captured and escapes.
- Lara finds Sam. Meets Mathias who then takes Sam captive.
- Lara has the wolf attack scene then reunites with some of the crew to rescue Sam.
- Lara and Whitman are ambushed. Lara's first kill.
- Lara explores more of the island to find Sam. This could include Lara finding Himiko's tomb, the Shanty Town, Lara meeting up with Grim, ect.

and so forth and so on. They can add on to the existing story with things like:

- Show the story of Hoshi.
- Roth visiting Lara working at the Nine Bells to give her the news about the expedition.
- The crew meeting up at the Endurance before it sets sail. Basically like the comic. Give the other characters back story and flesh them out.

Lil91 14-05-13 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by shockwave_pulsar00 (Post 6783576)
Obviously this movie will make changes to fit within a time frame, but the basic story points should be followed:

- Lara and the others embark on the Endurance to find the lost city of Yamatai.
- A storm causes the Endurance to sink.
- Lara washes up on shore, is captured and escapes.
- Lara finds Sam. Meets Mathias who then takes Sam captive.
- Lara has the wolf attack scene then reunites with some of the crew to rescue Sam.
- Lara and Whitman are ambushed. Lara's first kill.
- Lara explores more of the island to find Sam. This could include Lara finding Himiko's tomb, the Shanty Town, Lara meeting up with Grim, ect.

and so forth and so on. They can add on to the existing story with things like:

- Show the story of Hoshi.
- Roth visiting Lara working at the Nine Bells to give her the news about the expedition.
- The crew meeting up at the Endurance before it sets sail. Basically like the comic. Give the other characters back story and flesh them out.

I agree with you to 100%.

Tonyrobinson 24-05-13 16:50

Anyone thinking they might be at Comic con this year? Or is that more likely a next year thing? :p

Avalon SARL 24-05-13 17:38

I am writing a very beautiful and brilliant story about an adult Lara Croft with breathtaking moments... it has taken me around five years so i could finalize the concept behind the story and what it will be about...

Hopefully someday my story will see the light :)

Rai 24-05-13 23:36

That's great, I truly hope you keep going with your story and it does see the light of day. I'm intrigued, so maybe there will be a chance to read it at some point. :)

However, what does this have to do with TR movie discussion? Did you perhaps mean to post this in the Tomb Raider General Discussion thread? Or are you writing a film script?

Tonyrobinson 15-06-13 16:59

For the upcoming story if they adapt the new game I really hope they show us flashbacks of Hoshi's story it is begging to be shown in my opinion. They put a lot of effort into the backstory what took a back seat in the game that could have added a whole new element if it had been featured. Hoshi could easily have been a good secondary character within the plot and shown a greater understanding had she been shown in the cutscenes.

She was also the reason for them being trapped there in the first place and her sacrificing herself was brave and although she thought she did good she single handedly made it worse for the rest. I love her story I only hope they look into the game and bring an element of it into the film. It could be hard for time and I expect them to cut a lot but this could fit really well and add a new element for a side plot alongside the main action.

I am expecting a few of the crew to be cut because some of them don't seem essential to the story. I think the most expendable could be Grim, Jonah and Alex and I think the essential should be Roth, Whitman, Sam and Reyes mainly because they had the most fleshed out backstory of the characters. The others could be included to as a nod to the game and killed off early on without having to make them part of the main ensemble the movie goers would see them as just fellow crew whereas the gamers would see them as the members. I do think they will probably go all Hollywood and expand alarm and Alex's relationship if he is featured though. :p

TheRCroft 03-07-13 00:26

According to imdb:

Quote:

Archaeologist Lara Croft sets off on a series of international adventures.
So, the movie won't take place only on the island? Is this information reliable?

Rai 03-07-13 12:34

^That seems like a placeholder to me. It's a generalization based on the franchise. Overall, this is what Lara has been doing since '96.

amiro1989 03-07-13 15:37

Please, please, please....! Let Joe Wright be the director of TOMB RAIDER. He did such an amazing job on the movie HANNA. Please, he has to.

Tonyrobinson 03-07-13 16:05

Ooh he would be good. If I was to pick the director for this I would want Gore Verbinski he worked wonders for the first three Pirate movies and could inject some tension and horror elements from The Ring. It depends if they go down the gritty route or the action adventure route though. I wouldn't personally mind a grittier reboot. :)

HowConvenient 03-07-13 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiro1989 (Post 6841426)
Please, please, please....! Let Joe Wright be the director of TOMB RAIDER. He did such an amazing job on the movie HANNA. Please, he has to.

I hope not! Sorry, but in my opinion that was an awful movie! The trailers looked good but I spent the whole movie thinking, "This HAS to pick up!" but it was just two hours of my life I wish I could get back. :/

Phlip 03-07-13 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowConvenient (Post 6841802)
I hope not! Sorry, but in my opinion that was an awful movie! The trailers looked good but I spent the whole movie thinking, "This HAS to pick up!" but it was just two hours of my life I wish I could get back. :/

Totally agree.

AimlessThunder 03-07-13 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phlip (Post 6841848)
Totally agree.

The music was the only good thing about that movie.

PinkyPromise 04-07-13 09:07

Joe Wright is a wonderful director. His movies are very smart, knows how to move the camera, photography is excellent.

Anna Karenina, his latest work, is just huge in terms of staging.

Tonyrobinson 04-07-13 17:11

Martin Scorsese worked wonders with Shutter Island but there is no way we are getting him. Given the type of people who have been hired for the script Mark and Ferguson and now Marti I think that could be indicative of what type of director we are getting. I would start looking at the Superhero movie directors. :)

TheRCroft 05-07-13 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai (Post 6841297)
^That seems like a placeholder to me. It's a generalization based on the franchise. Overall, this is what Lara has been doing since '96.

I thought as much. I seem to remember that they're basically turning the game into a movie, right? Same story and all..

Tonyrobinson 05-07-13 11:06

Marti Noxon is on the Big island in Hawaii if you remember a few years back the film commission where dealing with GK Films to film the movie there so it could possibly be related if she is writing or just for leisure. :p

http://hawaiiw.net/wp-content/upload...nd-hawaii1.jpg

amiro1989 06-07-13 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowConvenient (Post 6841802)

You missed the whole human part, then. A teenager struggling to grow up, forge an identity, because an identity is forced upon her. She still has to fight her past, when she knows she might have no future, but still manages to build a bond with a family that she never had, and probably, deep inside her, always wanted to have. It was intimate, interesting, funny, sarcastic (even the direction was sarcastic, taking inspiration aesthetically from traditionnal action movies, but keeping it's feet sinked in the cultural codes of Eastern Europe) & subtle.

This movie was a masterpiece.

AND SAOIRSE RONAN IS SUCH A PRO. She slayed. Shat all over Camilla Luddington back in 2011.

@PinkyPromise: I HAVE TO WATCH THAT MOVIE! SO EXCITED.

And what I loved about the movie is that the action is really well translated in the camera work... I don't think I've seen an action movie that good in terms of camera work, editing, etc.

HowConvenient 06-07-13 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiro1989 (Post 6844169)
You missed the whole human part, then. A teenager struggling to grow up, forge an identity, because an identity is forced upon her. She still has to fight her past, when she knows she might have no future, but still manages to build a bond with a family that she never had, and probably, deep inside her, always wanted to have. It was intimate, interesting, funny, sarcastic (even the direction was sarcastic, taking inspiration aesthetically from traditionnal action movies, but keeping it's feet sinked in the cultural codes of Eastern Europe) & subtle.

I didn't miss the human part, I just think it is one of those things people point out to try to put a piece of crap on a pedestal, as some sort of masterpiece, like those horrible books that win all those awards and they force you to read them in school, but no one would ever read them willingly. I just didn't care about any of the characters, for one. It wasn't very well thought out or written, for another, and everything about this movie was really weird, in a bad way. I have to give you props for making this movie sound really great, but that is not really what I saw, that’s hugely exaggerated, and you’re being really melodramatic.

Every teenager struggles to grow up and forge an identity. She is not really fighting her past, she is doing what her dad (or whatever) told her to, and she is probably not worried about her future, because she is so out-there and has no idea of how the world works, and she gives no indications of being worried about her future or her past and what she has been instructed to do. She spends a little time with that other girl’s family, if I remember correctly because she stowed away in their trailer, and the rest of it was as a friend, not a family member. Also, if I remember correctly, the relationship of the two girls was not a relationship that would be accepted between family members. Yeah, she probably always wanted a family, but you’re reading way too much into that relationship; they are not her new surrogate family, they just let her tag along on their vacation.

I found this movie was as far from interesting as it gets, it was not funny, it was hardly an action movie, especially not aesthetically, and it was not subtle. The word that comes to mind is just weird, a waste of money and time in my opinion. This movie was not about any of that really, she grew up in circumstances beyond her control, same as everyone else. Then, rather than stay in hiding, because clearly they are scouring the globe for her , she leads them right to her, snaps some lady’s neck, because obviously her dad or whatever he is couldn’t go after her himself or at the very least get her a picture or a better description (sarcasm). Then, she assumes killing this woman, the task her whole life was leading up to, with all the training, was as simple as breaking her neck and sneaking out, and joins some random family on their vacation. Then the lady hires the world’s weirdest and most unlikely assassins, and the girl meets up with this weird guy that lives in the middle of an old theme park or something, the lady brushes her teeth until they bleed, her dad dies because he’s actually a pathetic fighter even though he’s a spy or whatever and he should be badass and he trained Hanna, who is of course an 80-pound tank, Hanna has almost the same expression on her face the whole movie too, and tries to kill some guy who kisses her (because that is human instinct), she is a genetically engineered baby that should have been destroyed when the project was scrapped, blah blah blah – writing was crap, I want my 2 hours and my money back. But I think that’s a Saorise Ronan thing – in every movie I’ve seen her in she just has the same out-there, in-some-fantasy-world, doe-eyed, strung-out-on-drugs, everything-I see-is-unbelievable-and-amazing kind of expression, facially and vocally. At first I thought it was talent but now I think she’s just a one-trick-pony, not very impressive.

Quote:

This movie was a masterpiece.

I would say it was at the opposite end of the spectrum. Maybe the film techniques were great, or the music or something, but I was so distracted by how awful everything else was that I didn’t notice.

Quote:

AND SAOIRSE RONAN IS SUCH A PRO. She slayed. Shat all over Camilla Luddington back in 2011.

Like I said, she only had one expression for most of that movie and every other movie I’ve seen her in too. I hope she stays far away from Tomb Raider, but she doesn’t fit Lara Croft at all anyway.

Quote:

And what I loved about the movie is that the action is really well translated in the camera work... I don't think I've seen an action movie that good in terms of camera work, editing, etc.

I agree that the camera work and editing suck for a lot of action movies: shaking camera, really dark, jumping around – it ruins potentially great scenes because you can’t see anything. However, if all of that was great for Hanna, I was too distracted by how awful everything else was to notice let alone appreciate it.

Sorry but that movie was thoroughly awful, and I hope everyone involved stays far away from Tomb Raider.

Phlip 07-07-13 07:17

Hypothetical question just for fun: Who should play mature Lara?

I'd say Angelina, 2nd choice being Keira Knightly (with a padded bra). :)

Tonyrobinson 07-07-13 11:00

Rhona Mitra, Kate Beckingsale, Hayley Atwell. :p

Lil91 07-07-13 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson (Post 6844725)
Rhona Mitra, Kate Beckingsale, Hayley Atwell. :p

That :D
I just would not like to see AJ in any other movie. She can still make movies - but she should please stand far away from every movie I'm interested in that much

Tonyrobinson 07-07-13 12:27

I think it'd be cool to have her take on Lara's mother if they ever have her cameo just a little passing of the mantle. Many people unfortunately see Tomb Raider as Angelina's franchise but it should really be like the Bond movies and shake it up every once in a while. :)