www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Dumb things people say (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=210928)

_Seth 03-05-19 23:19

Dumb things people say?

"Camilla sounds British."

Rai 03-05-19 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Seth (Post 8084306)
Dumb things people say?

She does though. I guess I'm dumb :D :princess:

_Seth 03-05-19 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai (Post 8084311)
She does though. I guess I'm dumb :D :princess:

Or your speakers are corrupt. :D

Legends 04-05-19 20:37

Describing something as "badass". Get a thesaurus. Almost anything is better, and doesn't make you look like a complete moron.

For the record I'm talking about D&D, not the Shadow section, although it sort of applies there, too.

AlexyLC 05-05-19 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Seth (Post 8084306)
Dumb things people say?

Why do people say she doesn't? It's a genuine question.
I'm not british so maybe it's harder for me to recognize it even though people say my accent sounds british/irish but the fact I learned how to speak from school/movies/music it's really a mix and just became whatever.

Yeauxleaux 05-05-19 00:55

It's a certain quality that's hard to describe. All I can say is it shows that Camilla has lived in America for years. There's just something about her cadence and inflections on a lot of words that's Americanised, even as she's trying to do her best British accent. The long drawn-out over-stressed words, the really earnest dramatic tone to her voice, and often the vocabulary as well (over-use of the s-word more than British people generally use it). A lot of it is more typical of American English than British English.

I'm not against non-British actresses playing Lara if they can fake it convincingly, I think Angelina Jolie did an excellent job and from what I've heard Alicia did as well.

Robwood 05-05-19 01:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexyLC (Post 8084722)
I'm not british so maybe it's harder for me to recognize it even though people say my accent sounds british/irish but the fact I learned how to speak from school/movies/music it's really a mix and just became whatever.

I'm American, but as Yeauxleaux pointed out, she's forcing it and even I can tell. Camilla was born and raised British but has been stateside for over ten years now. That, on top of the fact that she speaks with an American accent while doing "Grey's Anatomy" during all of this time, means that her true voice is now accented half and half. Thus, whenever she does Lara's voice, she has to force her own to sound fully British again, hence why Lara sounds so dramatic all the time when she speaks.

_Seth 05-05-19 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexyLC (Post 8084722)

The above posts do a good job of explaining it. It really shows when soft I's and E's come up, she almost pronounces them as A's, like a proper Californian person would. Then when there's an L sound she'll almost use the back of her tongue on the roof of her mouth to really round it out.

"We have to head west into the triangle itself" becomes "We have to had wast into the trayangull itsallf."

It's interesting stuff. Thanks to her I've actually learned how to do an American accent from hearing the frequent slip ups.

FanosCroft 05-05-19 17:07

Blondes are dumb

Draco 05-05-19 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by lance6439 (Post 8084124)
^ when people purposely misgender someone itís 100% their fault

If someone appears to be a female, and you call them female, it's not purposely misgendering.

If someone appears to be female, but is still clearly male, and you call them male, it's not purposely misgendering.

If someone appears to be male, but is clearly female, calling them female is not purposely misgendering.

The only time I agree with the intent being to purposely misgender someone is if they have no reason to think they are that gender, but still insist on it. But if the physical cues and body details still scream male, despite claiming to be female... I'm sorry, but that doesn't trump what the senses say. I may be aware that someone is a male trying to pass for female, and I probably won't intentionally make it an issue, but I'm also not going to condemn someone for accurately identifying someone.

Genuine men and women get mistaken for the opposite all the time, so the issue can be pretty damn confusing as it is without muddying up the waters with requiring people to psychically know someone's correct pronoun. And frankly, having to ask them what pronoun is rather silly and defeats the point. If you randomly met someone on the street, your first impression is the accurate one, even if its wrong.

For me the issue has always been: If I can't tell, why does it matter. If I can tell, then they shouldn't have any expectations of accuracy. Nobody would mistake me for a woman, even if I dressed, groomed, and acted like one. No matter what I claimed.