www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

biscuits 06-07-18 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily.J (Post 7922576)
As a spectator, my emotional connection to Anna was relatively close to zero. I felt absolutely nothing during this betrayal. While Lara, her, was apparently in roller coasters.

On that we agree. The Ana twist was handled very poorly. We had absolutely no emotional attachment to her, making the revelation very ineffective. That being said, I still really enjoyed Ana's character. Her complex emotions towards Lara were very interesting. I also thought her voice actress did a wonderful job with her performance.

Samz 06-07-18 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuits (Post 7922582)
On that we agree. The Ana twist was handled very poorly. We had absolutely no emotional attachment to her, making the revelation very ineffective. That being said, I still really enjoyed Ana's character. Her complex emotions towards Lara were very interesting. I also thought her voice actress did a wonderful job with her performance.

We literally know Ana for less than 5 min before the "Twist", it was awful, I do NOT care for any of the reboot Characters, hell I was actually glad when Roth died because it ment he'd shut up, after all the "YOUR A CROFT!" nonsense that confused me on my first playthrough (Since I guess we're supposed to Assume her dads an archaeologist?, but why does he call her a croft then if he's literally the only croft who does Archaeology/adventure unless I missed something?)

just*raidin*tomb 06-07-18 23:15

I understand the criticisms of not developeling characters before these moments. It is pretty unfortunate.

Grimaldi 06-07-18 23:17

This is why we write things in advance and not as we go, CD...

jajay119 06-07-18 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samz (Post 7922584)
We literally know Ana for less than 5 min before the "Twist", it was awful, I'm honestly hoping they actually bring Sam and Reyes back for Shadow but kill them off in some sort of poor twist, I'd wish for Laura to die too, but she'd probably survive it like all the other crap she's survived so far with no permanent effects.

And should have held her cards closer to her chest longer and played a supporting role more thoughout the story. I think it would have been really impactful to only have the betrayal come out near the end and the confrontation in the scene where she’s in the observatory with the Devine source.

Lily.J 06-07-18 23:18

Quote:

Roth is really the only well executed character with whom we were supposed to share a bond and actually did when a bad thing happened.
I totally agree with that.

Roth was a part of us... This idea could be sketched when Lara was alone and that Roth's words resonated in her mind when she tried to survive.

jajay119 06-07-18 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily.J (Post 7922589)
I totally agree with that.

Roth was a part of us... This idea could be sketched when Lara was alone and that Roth's words resonated in her mind when she tried to survive.

Exactly! It wasn’t just implied Lara had a relationship with him we saw and loved it. Both before Yamatai and on it. Live and in the documents. We saw the good side of their mentor-pupil relationship and the bad when she wasn’t willing to accept his world view of ‘you can’t save everyone’ which made it even more tragic when he chose not to save himself (which would have been even more impactful if they kept the original ending where she sacrificed Sam to save the rest).

Ana was just... there.

Samz 06-07-18 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jajay119 (Post 7922592)
Exactly! It wasn’t just implied Lara had a relationship with him we saw and loved it. Both before Yamatai and on it. Live and in the documents. We saw the good side of their mentor-pupil relationship and the bad when she wasn’t willing to accept his world view of ‘you can’t save everyone’ which made it even more tragic when he chose not to save himself.

Ana was just... there.

Honestly I just saw him as annoying with the "YOUR A CROFT!" Stuff, I was glad when he got axed by Matthias.

biscuits 06-07-18 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samz (Post 7922584)
We literally know Ana for less than 5 min before the "Twist", it was awful, I do NOT care for any of the reboot Characters, hell I was actually glad when Roth died because it ment he'd shut up, after all the "YOUR A CROFT!" nonsense that confused me on my first playthrough (Since I guess we're supposed to Assume her dads an archaeologist?, but why does he call her a croft then if he's literally the only croft who does Archaeology/adventure unless I missed something?)

I miss Roth :(
I always choke up during his death scene.

jajay119 06-07-18 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samz (Post 7922595)
Honestly I just saw him as annoying with the "YOUR A CROFT!" Stuff, I was glad when he got axed by Matthias.

I get that. But what I mean is he was at least a well constructed character within Lara’s life. There was genuine effort to entrain a relationship both with Lara and with the audience through multiple aspects.

With Ana there wasn’t any of that. Some people tried to pass it off as ‘well you should have read the comics and the books’ but that a shoddy excuse for poor writing. If a character is important to the overall canaon you need to build them up and pay them off in your main medium: the games.