www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Rise of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   As a person that disliked 2013 is Rise worth it ? (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=222736)

dg1995 03-05-19 06:16

As a person that disliked 2013 is Rise worth it ?

TR 2013 for me wasn't a true TR game. That game was a 3rd person cover shooter with optional stealth, set pieces , QTEs with minimal platforming and no puzzles(booby traps, tombs).

Is Rise worth it for me ?

Chamayoo 03-05-19 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by dg1995 (Post 8084035)
TR 2013 for me wasn't a true TR game. That game was a 3rd person cover shooter with optional stealth, set pieces , QTEs with minimal platforming and puzzles(booby traps, tombs).

Difficult to say. The gameplay is the same, no doubt of that. So you could be annoyed once again. There is slightly less shoot and stealth is considerably there. Less set pieces but still present and less varied.
Optional tombs are definitely bigger and I think in the main story the puzzles are a little more present.

Think of this : baby steps, as maybe you think it is not enough of an amelioration.

Samz 03-05-19 06:41

Its pretty much the same.

Avoid.

People did the math and you actually do even more combat.
Story is just outright awful and its actually worse than 2013.

Everything horrible about 2013 is still present.

killchan 03-05-19 07:07

Rise is TR2013 with more stealth, more exploration, more weapons, less QTEs and bigger maps and a fair number modes.

if you can get past the fact that it isn't a "true TR game", you might like it.

IMO it's worth $20

FanosCroft 03-05-19 07:51

You should give it a try, the game has more and better tomb and optional tombs than TR2013, plus they're all eye-candy, more exploration, gunfights are reduced to aswell as the QTE's. And oh, you will love Syria level, it's so beautiful and feels like tomb raider with no resources to find for survival, just pure exploration.

Costel 03-05-19 09:13

If I were the OP I would not know who to believe:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samz (Post 8084039)
Its pretty much the same.

Avoid.

People did the math and you actually do even more combat.
Story is just outright awful and its actually worse than 2013.

Everything horrible about 2013 is still present.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamayoo (Post 8084038)
Difficult to say. The gameplay is the same, no doubt of that. So you could be annoyed once again. There is slightly less shoot and stealth is considerably there. Less set pieces but still present and less varied.
Optional tombs are definitely bigger and I think in the main story the puzzles are a little more present.

Think of this : baby steps, as maybe you think it is not enough of an amelioration.

larafan25 03-05-19 09:21

Naw, it's not.

It's not anywhere close to being anything more than a sequel to the reboot. So it's like... the same game. Because that's the point of that, etc...

Greatest TR 03-05-19 09:39

Stick to Core design era, those are the Tomb Raider games :tmb:

Patrick star 03-05-19 10:00

Rise to TR2013 is like TR2 to TR1 . Interpret that as you wish .

It's also worth noting that many people who outright disliked TR2013 ended up liking Rise , I can name a handful on this forum no less .

So all in all , I'd say you should give it a try and form your opinion on it .

Personally ? It's my favorite in the reboot trilogy and my third favorite Tomb Raider game overall .

GRiannisRaider 03-05-19 10:23

If you want a tomb raider experience you should try shadow of the tomb raider if you haven't already :) it is so much closer to the old tomb raider games with many tombs to explore .

TR1249 03-05-19 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatest TR (Post 8084076)
Stick to Core design era, those are the Tomb Raider games :tmb:

You mean those mediocre games?

killchan 03-05-19 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRiannisRaider (Post 8084082)
If you want a tomb raider experience you should try shadow of the tomb raider if you haven't already :) it is so much closer to the old tomb raider games with many tombs to explore .

oh please

Dennis's Mom 03-05-19 11:49

I despised TR2013. Everything about the game was horrid to me.

ROTTR is . . . better in that IMO the combat is better. It's more of the combat that I think makes sense, i.e., stealth based, limited enemies, as opposed to the endless merc battles.

There's still tons of stupid though. The story is poorly written, the dialog is cringe-worthy. I didn't like the game really, but I didn't despise it like TR2013.

I always view these things in terms of whether I got my money's worth in enjoyment. I got the game at a Redbox for 3 bucks a day and beat it in two days. I can't say it was a bad value at that price.

My full thoughts here. There are spoilers though so . . . .

tomee 03-05-19 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by killchan (Post 8084042)
Rise is TR2013 with more stealth, more exploration, more weapons, less QTEs and bigger maps and a fair number modes.

if you can get past the fact that it isn't a "true TR game", you might like it.

IMO it's worth $20

I think this is the key sentence that summarizes it up.

Rise improved on some aspects of TReboot and stayed the same in others. It's up to the individual player to decide whether they are content with what they've got or not.

I do agree that TR game or not, Rise was a well made game that is worth a couple bucks at least. If you find a good deal then I would go for it.

Maverin 03-05-19 12:11

I really liked the game but not as much as TR2013 to be honest. The biggest reason as to why is this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom (Post 8084101)
The story is poorly written, the dialog is cringe-worthy.

The story is over-dramatic. Every single event is portrayed as the end of the world and every scene is like Titanic's ending. The documents are boring and very similar to one another. The environment is mostly the same and the dialogue is cringe. Especially the campfires my goodness.

Problem is: not only is the story very tedious to go through, it's also kinda bad. There are so many problems with it. Situations where you'll be thinking like: but couldn't this person do this? Haven't they done that? Why did they choose to do it that way? Etc.

It's not a bad game, absolutely not. Some of the locations/visuals are astounding and the Tombs are a delight. But in my personal opinion, it's by far the weakest of the trilogy and Shadow was an unbelievable comeback. Shadow is the best Tomb Raider game I've played in years. They fixed all the issues mentioned above and the story and Lara don't take themselves too seriously except for where it needs to be.

NoahCrofRaider 03-05-19 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR1249 (Post 8084088)

lol

I tried playing Rise a couple of years ago, but I personally couldnít get into it. It felt so boring, and I didnít know what to do. I should probably give it another try, but Iím... reluctant.

Error96 03-05-19 12:38

If you didn't like 2013 you probably won't like Rise. It's more of the same but with Lara having gone backwards and with more of the awful parents storyline. Shadow is a far better game and so is probably worth skipping Rise and going straight for Shadow.

Talos Munera 03-05-19 14:03

I do not love Tr2013 but I adore Rise. Everyone has their own tastes, there is nothing abnormal and strange. As a medieval, Byzantine and eastern history lover, for me it is the Tomb Raider par excellence, along with Tomb Raider IV.

I don't love the splatter of TR2013, but it has great gameplay and it's fun. Good story, but for me... Rise it's the top :jmp:
Everyone plays what he wants, loves what he wants.

dg1995 03-05-19 14:24

So I have to try it to see whether I like it or not. Thanks everyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR1249 (Post 8084088)

Nah the first 4 are 10/10 for me. the 5th one was also good. only AOD was disappointing.
And please do not complain about the controls. Every game shouldn't play the same and I easily get used to the controls of core design TR games.

Samz 03-05-19 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by dg1995 (Post 8084136)
So I have to try it to see whether I like it or not. Thanks everyone.

Nah the first 4 are 10/10 for me. the 5th one was also good. only AOD was disappointing.
And please do not complain about the controls. Every game shouldn't play the same and I easily get used to the controls of core design TR games.

IF you are and you're getting a version that has the Croft Manor DLC Blood Ties, do that ASAP.

Its the only good bit as it has proper adventure-game having-to-write-stuff down puzzles.

Not worth the price of a full game that has none of those puzzles in the main game but its definitely the only good bit IMO.

CroftManiac05 03-05-19 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider (Post 8084114)
It felt so boring, and I didnít know what to do.

I'm not the only one who felt that way it seems.
I just couldn't care about the story, Lara and the rest of the characters.
The game also lacks colour and well... life.

Putting those aside, Baba Yaga and Blood Ties are definitely worth playing, and Rise as a whole is far superior to TR2013.

pharaea 03-05-19 16:17

I loathed 2013 and adored Rise. The story is meh, but I'm a sucker for byzantine art and the tombs are beyond beautiful. way prettier than shadow.

Saphyre 03-05-19 16:49

As someone who loved the classics, but also likes the reboot (yes, we exist hahaha) I'd say Rise is an improvement on 2013 in a lot of ways.

2013, whilst a good game, felt so far removed from what Tomb Raider was when it was initially conceived. It felt like an attempt at being the next big survival horror game, rather than an action-adventure game. To me, Rise turned it's back on some of the survival horror elements (there's considerably less gratuitous gore and torture in comparison to 2013), and brought back the wonder and spectacle of discovering tombs and forgotten places.

The game itself, plays the same as 2013 for the most part. If your gripes with 2013 were centered solely around the game play, Rise won't do anything to change your perspective. However, if like me your main gripes with 2013 were based around the atmosphere and tone, Rise may present a small shift in the opposite direction - one you may appreciate. The character of Lara still remains questionable (if you're looking for a Lara that's in a similar vein to the classics, you'll be disappointed), so don't take the 'Rise' part of the title too literally - there's no rising here.

Looking ahead to Shadow, I'd say that it's the most 'tomb raider-y' out of the three - at least environment/atmosphere wise. It's also a very frustrating game - in the sense that it's the closest thing we've had to a conventional Tomb Raider experience in years, but it falls short on a fair few things, making it miss the mark.

Hope this helps, but ultimately, you should definitely try it out and form your own opinion.

Costel 03-05-19 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samz (Post 8084139)
IF you are and you're getting a version that has the Croft Manor DLC Blood Ties, do that ASAP.

Its the only good bit as it has proper adventure-game having-to-write-stuff down puzzles.

Not worth the price of a full game that has none of those puzzles in the main game but its definitely the only good bit IMO.

Spoilers:

To me it is just reading documents simulator.

Yunaīs Wish 03-05-19 18:50

@dg1995: If puzzles are an important aspect to you, Rise should please you there.

I honestly prefer TR2013. And by that logic, if you were like me, I wouldn't recommend it. But you are you and I am I :p

Nobody can quite tell you if you'll enjoy it. Perhaps you can rent it and try it.

Samz 03-05-19 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Costel (Post 8084199)
Spoilers:

To me it is just reading documents simulator.

Spoilers:

I loved translating the Hieroglyphs personally.

JsotoTRSaga 03-05-19 21:58

I have to be honest and I can only speak for myself, I really don't find Rise easy to recommend to a fellow TR fan... the casual UC and COD fan though.... now that's another matter. Fans of shootemups will basically love the hell out of ROTTR. However with TR fans it is subjective. I don't think you will lose much by trying it out, IMo you probably should, it is way better than TR13 as an attempt for a TR game, though as a game I believe TR13 is superior.

Shadow is the obvious winner of the trilogy and even that has issues.

Yeauxleaux 04-05-19 04:07

Depends what exactly you disliked about 2013. If you absolutely hated 2013 across the board then you will not like Rise.

If you disliked it because, as you said, it's basically a third person shooter, then Rise is somewhat of an improvement. I hated that about 2013 as well. In Rise there are still plenty of blazing gunfights, but I find it's not so irritatingly constant. There's nothing like the Shanty Town segment of 2013 from what I remember.

There's somewhat expanded platforming and puzzle elements, some of which I found quite enjoyable, but nothing mindblowing.

Story-wise, it is worse than 2013. Lara's character development has regressed to a lesser state than it was at the end of 2013, and it absolutely stays there for the entire game (and the entirety of Shadow too, although Shadow has the best gameplay of the 3 games overall).

iWANEX 04-05-19 19:27

Based on your opinion that TR2013 is not a true TR game, I would just play Shadow and skip Rise. I feel like with Shadow you'll be a little bit more open to the reboot in general. Rise won't change your mind but I know some people who didn't like the first 2 and loved Shadow. It's also one of the games with the most amount of tombs/puzzles and there's definitely less shooting, so I bet Shadow is more your style of TR game.

Hazelphoenix 05-05-19 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by dg1995 (Post 8084035)
TR 2013 for me wasn't a true TR game. That game was a 3rd person cover shooter with optional stealth, set pieces , QTEs with minimal platforming and no puzzles(booby traps, tombs).

Hey there.

As a fellow TR fan that wasnít satisfied with the reboot and didnít consider it a proper TR game for my standards (just like you), I strongly recommend to play Shadow at some point. Itís probably the closest we can get to a modern TR experience with a good balance of old and new elements. Plenty of exploration in jungles, ancient temples, lots of puzzles and deadly traps (mostly in the DLCs to be fair). The overall vibe is also much more akin to that of a classic TR game so thereís that. It still has some of the things that you listed above so thereís no guarantee that youíre gonna enjoy it. Might as well give it a try and judge for yourself.

As for Rise, I personally felt that it barely improved upon certain aspects - the challenge tombs and slightly more exploration - and felt like a regression in other circumstances, namely the storyline, Laraís characterization and the overall tone. Thatís just me though.
The game still plays very much like its predecessor as it retained the same gameplay formula - all three, Shadow included. The difference is that the action is slightly toned down to leave room for more puzzle solving game after game, even though the biggest leap in this regard would probably be from Rise to Shadow.

That being said, Iíd still recommend buying it and trying it first-hand. People can give your their opinions but at the end of the day it comes down to personal preferences, as you can clearly see for yourself looking at the variety of the replies you got. Despite what anyone might think, Rise remains a polished game with a high production value so itís worth spending 15-20Ä/$/£ on it.

Tl;dr: buy them all at some point, wait Ďtil the go on sale or get a second-hand copy, thereís plenty of options if you donít want to spend lots of money on them :)

veigafd 05-05-19 23:12

I'd say to avoid rise, but give it a try on shadow with exploration dfficulty on max and combat level on minimun if you don't like. But for consistency reasons, you should get rise, but since you didn't like the 2013 one... it's hard for me to think what I can say to you...But for me the sequels updated some things in relation to exploration but at the same time the character and the story is beyond horrendous.

norabrave 06-05-19 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by iWANEX (Post 8084587)
Based on your opinion that TR2013 is not a true TR game, I would just play Shadow and skip Rise. I feel like with Shadow you'll be a little bit more open to the reboot in general. Rise won't change your mind but I know some people who didn't like the first 2 and loved Shadow. It's also one of the games with the most amount of tombs/puzzles and there's definitely less shooting, so I bet Shadow is more your style of TR game.

This.

Rise was more like 2013, only more tombs and less combat. Shadow was more like classic TRs, what you want.

GRiannisRaider 06-05-19 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by killchan (Post 8084091)
oh please

???

RAID 08-05-19 18:12

I actually liked Rise and Shadow ever more. I thought both were superior to the Reboot.

However, the story is terrible and pointless. The plot doesn't get anywhere, Yamatai quickly gets forgotten, Lara has the personality of a 3 year old girl, the characters are 2 dimensional and the script is badly written - everything is over the top melodramatic.

annacroft 09-05-19 20:53

To me, Rise is so different to 2013 I think you'll love it. I treasure that game, it gave me a lot of chills and there are some really neat cinematic moments. The story kept me going but it was the gameplay that really got me addicted to it.

charmedangelin 10-05-19 02:37

I'd say give it a shot, Rise improves on aspects of 2013. The combat is toned down and swimming is brought back. Not like the true underwater swimming in Shadow, but it's there.

Tombs are much better in Rise as they are bigger, but they do still have the one puzzle thing you need to solve.

Storywise it doesn't reference 2013 at all, it's as if it didn't happen. Also it brings back Lara's parents again like in the movies so if you hate that then yeah, the plot is very focused on Lara's father.

Overall I'd recommend you at least give it a shot if you haven't already.

Rafael 10-05-19 03:53

As a Gamer, I encourage you to buy it and give it a go. It's a great action-adventure-TPS-stealth-exploration game.

Buy the 20th Anniversary Edition that includes all the content. This version has a great replayability factor. You Can Replay Any Chapter you want and with any setup or card you find best. Its a great way to pratice your gameplay skills like stealth, speedruning, aiming and even explore different kinds of approachs/strategies. You can also practice these skills playing Lara's Nighmare and Cold Darkness DLCs.

Lara's hair looks amazing in this game, Not only the hair but the face work of textures and expressions in cutscenes looks good.

One thing that I noticed that Shadow lacks in simulation of her hair getting wet. At least I played it in my two PC Setups (1st - CPU Phenon X6/ GPU RX 560/ 8 GB RAM --- 2nd - CPU RYZEN 7 2700/ GPU RX 590 / 16 GB RAM) and couldn't see that. Or I need to pay more attention.:-)

But in Rise, her hair gets wet.

I really love Rise of The Tomb Raider. I took almost a year and a half to buy it before it was released as a XBOX exclusive.

If you have a decent PC Setup buy it. Wait for a great offer in Steam and buy it.

Amunet 10-05-19 14:17

Personally, I really disliked TR13, thought Rise was pretty meh and LOVED Shadow. I think Rise did improve upon TR13 in terms of gameplay, but it still wasn't enough for me. I was mostly bored by it and the story didn't help at all. So I would personally jump straight into Shadow, which I think is the best TR experience we've had since the Classics.

Patrick star 10-05-19 18:54

Rise paved the way for many of the good aspects of Shadow imo .

Say what you want about Rise but that game was crucial in the gradual process of improving TR2013's gameplay . I hugely doubt that Shadow would have this considerable focus on tombs (the focus on PTT and the "social aspect" was still bigger though , duh) and this great underwater swimming -just to name a few- if it came directly after TR2013 .

For instance , TR1 needed two games to get into TR4 : the game that had the Classic formula at its absolute best and most fleshed out (imo) .

That's what I think anyway .

NoahCrofRaider 11-05-19 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick star (Post 8087293)
Rise paved the way for many of the good aspects of Shadow imo .

Say what you want about Rise but that game was crucial in the gradual process of improving TR2013's gameplay . I hugely doubt that Shadow would have this considerable focus on tombs (the focus on PTT and the "social aspect" was still bigger though , duh) and this great underwater swimming -just to name a few- if it came directly after TR2013 .

For instance , TR1 needed two games to get into TR4 : the game that had the Classic formula at its absolute best and most fleshed out (imo) .

That's what I think anyway .

True. I donít care for Rise, from what Iíve played and because of the story, but it did help get us to Shadow. Plus, it delivered the best/most impressive graphics in the series (graphics, not art direction).