www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Level Editor (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Create a Classic Competition 2019 (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223038)

dcw123 12-11-19 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces (Post 8151298)
Nope, not aware of this issue. What happens when you get into the crawlspace is the screen fades in, teleports Lara and fades out. Shouldn't interest with the camera...

Maybe it is a bug with the automatic FOV plugin???

I love all these cool little tricks in your level Daniel.

One issue I am having at the moment though (seems to be a Tomb Editor issue, but not 100% sure)
Lara simply won't grab a ledge which is above her... I've had this happen on other levels for this competition too - where she will bump her head etc when she shouldn't.

I made sure Lara is aligned on the rock in the corner, I even stepped back and jumped and jumped, over and over.. but she won't grab - even though she clearly can reach the edge..

https://i.imgur.com/lBcd6B4.jpg

LoreRaider 12-11-19 14:59

^that's because the height between the lower floor and the ledge is higher than 7 clicks, and it's also sloped iirc, so that's normal :)

dcw123 12-11-19 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoreRaider (Post 8151315)
^that's because the height between the lower floor and the ledge is higher than 7 clicks, and it's also sloped iirc, so that's normal :)

Hmmm.... not sure you're correct sorry.
I know what height Lara can reach (7 high)

The slope she stands on slopes upwards by 2 clicks (meaning 9 clicks high turns into 7 - she should be able to grab here at the highest point)
Maybe its an NGLE or TRLE thing - not sure.. but almost positive in any TR game she'd be able to reach here.
Maybe she isn't meant to I dunno - not using a walkthrough and just assumed it was somewhere she could go - I'm missing the Uzis and remember seeing some through a window somewhere.. hmm

EDIT: Reloaded the save and tried again, she did make it up there - and there were items, so she was meant to reach after all.
Managed to reach the 'doorway' to a cave on the left leading to some boiler room - but now I'm not sure if I've done something in reverse/unintended route. Gonna save and explore the lower levels and see whats around there.

OK so apparently this ''may'' have been an unintended shortcut. It means I've missed out the nearby caves for some items according to YT.
Least I know I haven't broken the level by doing something silly lol

OverRaider 12-11-19 16:34

Right folks so firstly I want to appologize for reviewing CaC levels as it triggered the unnecessary dramatic chain reaction when I reviewed Lost Library but I just wanted to take a part in voting and share my experience here as well as share my thoughts and opinion. Now secondly, since there was a disagreeable respond from the author's side as well as disagreeable opinions on this level from other people, then allow me to provide a more detailed and in-depth review as to why I rated it as I did because I stand by it.

Well as you could notice I am not that easily impressed and it is not likely I will award 10's for anything. This little game simply doesn't provide any real experience nor challenge as the gameplay here is all about opening doors to pass through areas to pick up puzzle items or pulling the levers. Tough there are some approaches like pushing pushable object where the textures literally lead the way where to push it or a jumpswitch which activates raising blocks right next to it and traps like chains and one spinning wheel. There are some shatterable obejcts containing items though but this is literally all there is to it. Everthing feels pretty purposeless, enemies being rather annoying than exciting as bats striking in the darkest places force to throw a flare everytime to be able to draw the weapon, quite a bunch of skeletons to lure to the nearest pit to shoot them off the ledge, small scorpions in vases or fire wraith to extinguish in a next room pool. Felt very random and boring, felt like it is there just to be there because it can be there? Atmosphere also did not convince me as it absolutely did not feel like a lost library to me. It is pretty much very far from lost library from TR4 where we can feel the ghostly presence throughoout the whole level and mysterious spirit in each area not to mention the hidden rooms which only add to the mysteriosity and those amazing puzzles such as planet pushable or star fire puzzle. This level however felt like clean empty abandoned building with some annoying appearances. The atmosphere did not immerse me at all and gameplay did not help to it either even secrets, which are very easy of course, are of no help at all, if at least it contained crosbow with explosive ammos that at least would be good against those skeletons. Regarding sounds there is proper background audio chosen though still did not help to create the mystic atmosphere and one or two audio tracks which did not convince me for the effect it tried to tell either. There is apart one or two fixed cameras no camera work either, no cinematic camera experience with fly-by cameras and no useful cameras either, just those fixed cameras that were rather annoying than helpful. There is of course some effort visible in indoor areas creation. It is not complex or breathtaking but it is pretty much good and classic, it is well textured and lit though not overly impressive, even some placeholder textures are left or some strange choice of textures in some places but otherwise it looks ok overall. Lighting is good in most places though quite a few rooms have weird strong light sources without explanation, while some rooms are pretty dark. It's ok overall though. Some objects are enhanced but for me it did not help to add anyhting to the experience at all to be honest. The whole level felt uninspired and uneventuful, pretty boring and unrewarding, no surprising moments nor any sign of creativity...

I now withdraw myself from the voting and wish luck to every participant. I want to thank to all involved in Cac and am happy to see so many levels because all this is what keeps the trle world alive ;)

Good bye...

klona 12-11-19 16:57

Don't feel unwelcome from voting just because a some people disagreed with your honest review.
Honestly, I agree with all of your points and I think the review was very respectful.

MarlenaCrystal 12-11-19 17:00

I guess, there is some love needed here. ;)

I played your levelset, @Reggie and also your Lost Library, @dcw123.

Reggie, your levelset was phenomenal and unique, I think I never had an experience like this in a Custom Level before.
Absolutely "amazong"! :D
Let alone the artistic design choice with the TR3 and comic-style atmosphere was very coherent and fitting after all.
The whole thing, the storytelling and with all the guns and explosions felt like a game or a movie with cliches and the feel of "too much", but in a positive way!
Unfortunately some of the large areas looked a bit too wallpapered like and empty and it's really sad, cause you proved that you can do sooo much better, especially in the starting area!
Nevertheless the storytelling is progressing very well and there were so many cool easter eggs and tense moments.
You've put so much work into all these edited objects and textures and it was absolutely worth it.
I could understand if someone might not like your levelset, the TR community sometimes seems to be very strict if it comes to new ideas and different "unknown" ways in gameplay design, but there definitely should be more brave people who dare this step into new directions. It was a fun game after all! Thank you for this. :)

https://abload.de/img/amazonstatisticsnbk0c.png

PS: the flamethrower boss could have been a little bit weaker, I first thought he wasn't killable at all.^^'

dcw123, I enjoyed your level, too! It was short, yes, but the overall atmosphere was very close to TR4 and absolutely coherent.
I personally loved the cave areas and everything that was "damaged" inside the building, cause it looked so natural. You did a very good job on the room design.
Unfortunately there was not a lot of gameplay in it, but a simple and linear gameplay doesn't have to be bad, I just thought you could have done so much more with the good looking enviroment. For example the water flooding room with the big gears looked so good, but the puzzle for it was rather simple and there could have be a lot more to do to power up all the engines. That room reminded me a little bit of Amnesia 1 and 2, with all these big engines.. Very cool after all. :)
Please keep up the good work and take your time for gameplay ideas and stuff. :)
For me it's also difficult to implement gameplay, so you are not alone with that.^^

https://abload.de/img/lostlibrarysatisticsjajna.png

Btw, I played almost every of the CaC levels now, I will write a review for each on trle.net and also a personal review to every builder, if I haven't done it yet. Not everyone is on the discord server, but I really want to give constructive feedback to everyone who attempted on CaC. :)

Mulf 12-11-19 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverRaider (Post 8151352)
I now withdraw myself from the voting

Aw, come on. Simply giving in is not a promising way of dealing with toddlers' temper tantrums, and it would be dispiriting to see a certain subset of builders known as prone to throwing hissy fits succeed in scaring off reviewers whenever their levels are not being praised to the high heavens.

SrDanielPonces 12-11-19 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcw123 (Post 8151310)
I love all these cool little tricks in your level Daniel.

One issue I am having at the moment though (seems to be a Tomb Editor issue, but not 100% sure)
Lara simply won't grab a ledge which is above her... I've had this happen on other levels for this competition too - where she will bump her head etc when she shouldn't.

I made sure Lara is aligned on the rock in the corner, I even stepped back and jumped and jumped, over and over.. but she won't grab - even though she clearly can reach the edge..

[img]https://i.imgur.com/lBcd6B4.jpg[img]

You can't grab it because you are not supposed to grab it. Look for another way up :)

dcw123 12-11-19 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces (Post 8151380)
You can't grab it because you are not supposed to grab it. Look for another way up :)

I found the ''proper'' way the 2nd time around hehe

I actually got Lara up here the way I went - shortcut hehe .. for some reason she just grabbed it when I loaded my save back up..

Nearly at 2 hours playtime haha - loving the level and all its cute cutscenes and new gameplay mechanics!!
Just solved the engine room to get the key - that was a nice touch!

I'm interested as to how you pulled off most of these, although I can guess at a few. The 'new' half steps were awesome - using bridges, right?

dcw123 12-11-19 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulf (Post 8151376)
Aw, come on. Simply giving in is not a promising way of dealing with toddlers' temper tantrums, and it would be dispiriting to see a certain subset of builders known as prone to throwing hissy fits succeed in scaring off reviewers whenever their levels are not being praised to the high heavens.

I'm really hoping this is not aimed at me.. because the earlier review was definitely in bad taste - in the way it was originally worded.

If you go to TRLE.net and read other reviews - I totally agree with every point.. heck I knew I wouldn't get amazing marks.. I knew my level was short and too easy etc - I designed it as such due to time constraints.

Not my intention to drag all this back up again and start anything - but I feel this needs to be said.
There is a difference between honest and downright rude.

In fact @OverRaider - your second review actually sounds even ruder and worse than your first one...
I mean, jeez..
I honestly don't know what to even say - other reviewers speak for themselves..

Sure my level was short - I know.
But to say it felt nothing like Lost Library? Are you blind? Did you even play TR4???
Ehh I've had enough of this nonsense..
Honestly, I think you should withdraw if THATS how you're gonna review levels (and I'm not the only person you've done it to either)
I was going to be nice, until I started reading further into your new post

So now I'm gonna pick apart everything you've just said in a ''constructive'' manner and show you just how childish you sound.

"gameplay here is all about opening doors to pass through areas to pick up puzzle items or pulling the levers"
Erm.. have you ever played a TR level before in your life? This is kind of how they work .. as have most other levels in this comp.

"Atmosphere also did not convince me as it absolutely did not feel like a lost library to me. It is pretty much very far from lost library from TR4"

Are you suuuure we're talking about the same game here? Jesus Christ...

"no useful cameras either, just those fixed cameras that were rather annoying than helpful."
I think you'll find these are, again, how TR does things..
I'm not sure, but I assume you mean the balcony fixed cameras? TR4 had them - it was to prevent the camera clipping through the pillars and was in the TR4 levels too.
As for the 'opening doors cameras' - I've played levels before where there is no camera at all and you're left running around an entire level looking for what the level did.. so again utter rubbish you are spouting.

"few rooms have weird strong light sources without explanation, while some rooms are pretty dark"
Again .. go and play TR4's Lost Library and the beta demo - you'll see

And on your note about texturing - I've also played several levels here who have some texture mishaps and some rather glaring ones at that.
Yet you seem to massively target my level which (to my knowledge and others) was textures pretty damn well apart from one missing texture in a section most players won't even see anyway..

Yeah I'm sorry.. I'm not having this. Mods do as you wish..
How people can sit there and defend this nonsense it beyond me.
There is being honest about flaws in a level .. sure - but this takes the cake.. its just flat out rude.
I'm chalking it down to either young age or someone where English isn't their native language.

I know what others have said and I stand by those reviews I've seen so... yeah whatever, who cares at the end of the day about one persons opinion. Cause thats all it is.. an opinion (just a shame they had to be so blatant and public about it)

(Aaaaand I just noticed I double posted.. sorry)