www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Anniversary (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   4K gameplay with the Trilogy (PS3) version (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219120)

GFY2013 31-12-17 12:10

TR Trilogy Emulation (RPCS3, XENIA etc.)

Hey guys! I just wanted to share my Anniversary gameplay with you, and it is not the ugly PC version, but the remastered PS3 version, played in RPCS3 (PS3 emulator), in 4K.

Take a look, it looks really beautiful :D :jmp:
link
not really worth watching now, it's older, glitchy gameplay.

I thought I'd update the first post: now Anniversary runs almost flawlessly in 4K 60fps. Take a look:

Underworld gameplay

It's unlisted because it's a rough cut, but anyone who is interested here can watch it, and get a glimpse of RPCS3 performance. Note that RSX (GPU) utilization is almost always at 99%. It was rendered at 2K, but uploaded at 720P because of the length, and because I was recording in windowed mode to eliminate tearing.

I tried Xenia too, and the manor loaded!! (but nothing else...) So I quickly made a short comparison video on the three versions we have on PC :cln:

Comparing the lighting, the PC version is the outsider here; has more lighting effects and more details, but almost zero shadows, except the one that Lara casts. (But not on Lara.) Also some level textures are higher quality. (at least in the Manor) RPCS3 and Xenia looks very similar in terms of lights, still the Xenia one has weaker, barely visible shadows. Only the RPCS3 version has a better Lara model with higher textures, and specular maps. And finally Lara casts a shadow on herself. Wow.

EDIT: full res pics guess game :mis:
lol honestly no cause theyre in order

The XBOX360 version appears to have higher quality textures (2:34), more foliage (2:47), while the PS3 remastered version has harder shadows (3:23) and more shadow effects (0:42, 2:56) in general.

TL;DR
To wrap things up for however is reading this first post and doesn't wanna read everything in the thread: since v0.0.7-8000+ Anniversary runs, well, flawlessly in the emulator, just a few dips in the FPS in heavy areas (35 fps min in 4K). (Most areas are way over 60, about 100 average, somewhere even more than 200.) Next up is Underworld, which is mostly averages between 30 and 70 regarding FPS. The worst one to emulate of the trilogy is surprisingly Legend, which generates a lot of shader cache (like, Underworld generates less cache in the full game than Legend does in one whole level lol) and runs 20-50FPS.

Exciting times for Xenia!

My RPCS3 settings:
CPU
PPU & SPU: LLVM
SPU cache: Enabled
SPU loop detection: Enabled
Preferred SPU threads: 3 (I tried with all, 3 yields best FPS, at least in TRA.)
SPU block size: Safe
everything else is disabled. If you're on Ryzen and not on Windows 10 v1903, turn ON thread scheduler. If you're on Intel you can turn on TSX instructions, although I can'T test that.

GPU
VULKAN
Framelimit: OFF
Anti-Aliasing: Auto
Default Resolution: 1280x720
Resolution Scale: 300% (sometimes I use less. Depends. I tried 10K too.)
Resolution Scale Threshold: 1x1
everything else is disabled.

Advanced:
Load liblv2.sprx only
Relaxed ZCULL Sync: Enabled (I didn't find any gains nor performance penalties from this.)
Driver wake-up delay: 1 (change this if the game is unstable for you)
Vblank Frequency: 1800hz (newest RPCS3 supports upto 1800hz, before it was 500hz top)
Clocks scale: 100%. (The trilogy requires no scaling when you change max frequency. some games do.)

Debug:
Use GPU texture scaling: Enabled
Hook static functions: Enabled (I didn't find any gains nor performance penalties from this.)

My specs: Ryzen 1600X, 32GB RAM, GTX1070.

Mokono 31-12-17 23:58

That's absolutely mind dazzling! Is the lag/stutter a byproduct of the recording or the emulator settings?

Thank you for sharing that video with the community. Hopefully we'll get to see more as compatibility progresses.

Kapu 01-01-18 04:22

Too bad I don't have a 4K monitor to view it on. :vlol:

I bet it looks dazzling, though. The 1080p image alone is fantastic. :tmb:

GFY2013 01-01-18 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokono (Post 7809003)
That's absolutely mind dazzling! Is the lag/stutter a byproduct of the recording or the emulator settings?

Thank you for sharing that video with the community. Hopefully we'll get to see more as compatibility progresses.

I think it's due to lack of shader-cache in that area (it was generating everytime you went into a new area, and the camera was seen a new place, thing so to say). After it has been generated (like you were in that area a lot of times, it becomes stable, playable.)
But this isnt for sure, I mean I have no idea how this shader cache works, but after it got saved, it lags no more. But if you re-open the game it has to load all of them back in, meaning it'll take minutes to load, that's why I delete all if there's more than a thousand. (Once I had like 9K pieces of them)
So we can say it's the emulator's, well, it's gonna sound harsh, but "fault". Don't misunderstand me, I find RPCS3 amazing.

Also, too bad that the game itself is locked at 30fps. :o
Btw, thank you guys for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Anyway, does any of you guys have a 100% savegame for this version of the game? It'd take for me a year to complete it to 100% lol. :o:D

JohnCroft25 02-01-18 06:51

So, is a PS3 emulator available for the PC? :eek:

GFY2013 02-01-18 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCroft25 (Post 7809357)
So, is a PS3 emulator available for the PC? :eek:

Yeah :D some games wont go in-game, some wont even boot.

You can try it here: https://rpcs3.net/download
Of course, no games are included.

AimlessThunder 04-01-18 07:28

Lovely! If only they released a patch for the PC as well.

GFY2013 04-01-18 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by AimlessThunder (Post 7809882)
Lovely! If only they released a patch for the PC as well.

That'd be awesome! :D

Dustie 04-01-18 17:21

Impressive... I didn't even realize people were emulating PS3 already, but that's only logical. The footage looks awesome. Hopefully the emulator will reach a point where the issues will no longer occur.

Jorje Croft 04-01-18 18:46

no matter wat, TRA is still a decent TR game in my opinion, I had a best experience with it from LAU trilogy. it feels totally TombRaiderish

AimlessThunder 05-01-18 12:20

Yeah. It's a good game :).

AimlessThunder 06-01-18 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by AimlessThunder (Post 7810234)
Yeah. It's a good game :).

Double post.. ****..

Anyways I think that I found the savegames for the trilogy in the video description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxe93wKLdP8

leoarcie 07-01-18 19:25

They should put the Trilogy - or PS2 games - on PSN for PS4.

JohnCroft25 07-01-18 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by leoarcie (Post 7810787)
They should put the Trilogy - or PS2 games - on PSN for PS4.

I agree... but with upscaled resolution and bugs/glitches fixed. :)

AimlessThunder 07-01-18 21:52

They should do that as well as re-release them on the Nintendo Switch. Theoretically it should be an easy port of the PS3 trilogy.

GFY2013 08-01-18 04:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by AimlessThunder (Post 7810466)
Double post.. ****..

Anyways I think that I found the savegames for the trilogy in the video description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxe93wKLdP8

Thank you! Unfortunately I've already tried to use these saves, though they don't work. :o:(

AimlessThunder 10-01-18 02:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by GFY2013 (Post 7810871)
Thank you! Unfortunately I've already tried to use these saves, though they don't work. :o:(

Oh. I am sorry, but you seem to be quite far into the game on your own. It really looks so much better with the extra shaders, effects and shadows. I still don't understand why they couldn't release this version on pc as well. Maybe it had something to do with a deal between them and Microsoft.

maikaal 10-01-18 09:39

It's not really 4k when the in-game resolution is 720p or something. We are very far from real 4k games yet.

AimlessThunder 10-01-18 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by maikaal (Post 7811334)
It's not really 4k when the in-game resolution is 720p or something. We are very far from real 4k games yet.

Actually the emulator allows to increase the resolution.

GFY2013 10-01-18 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by maikaal (Post 7811334)

It is 4K.
Screenshots for you. :)

Or if you meant that in the way that the textures are not high-res enough to fully utilize 4K(+) res, you're right SOMEWHAT (cause most of the textures look really great, better than on the PC version), but it still looks way better than in 720p or 1080p (or in PC ver. 4K).

BTW if someone is familiar with hex coding and stuff like that, please help us unlock the 30fps limit in the game. The emulator also has a debugger of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AimlessThunder (Post 7811299)
Oh. I am sorry, but you seem to be quite far into the game on your own. It really looks so much better with the extra shaders, effects and shadows. I still don't understand why they couldn't release this version on pc as well. Maybe it had something to do with a deal between them and Microsoft.

Yeah I am, but I can't really do the ascending part in the Great Pyramid level. (some level parts are not visible). Also I didn't collect any secrets/relics and didnt complete the levels in time trial either so it'd take time to achieve 100%

Shing 11-01-18 09:30

I think most difference is on Lara. Look at that shotgun shadow on her. And lighting affects her body much more overall.

Otherwise i don't really see any difference. Same resolution textures and lightmaps were used. No other fancy shaders or anything.

Basically Angel of Darkness used more effects.. specular map, bump mapping, better shadow casting, etc. Anniversary looks very bland, not the best engine used for a 10 year remake, to show off graphics progression.
Thanks to this i was actually able to finish the game using a Geforce 4 MX440 GPU, released in 2002.

JohnCroft25 11-01-18 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shing (Post 7811553)
I think most difference is on Lara. Look at that shotgun shadow on her. And lighting affects her body much more overall.

Otherwise i don't really see any difference.

I agree that the most profound difference is the change in Lara's model (probably upscaled to HD resolution? More porygons used? Something like that has been done... also her face and her eyes' color is different) Another change was in water color, which they made more realistic in the PS3 (and XBOX360) version.

AimlessThunder 11-01-18 20:33

Yeah Lara's model has more polygons and water surfaces have physics that react to the in-game models.

SrDanielPonces 16-01-18 18:45

I got platinum on the PS3 trilogy, but I don't know how I can get the savegames from PS3 and give it to you..

GFY2013 18-01-18 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces (Post 7813090)
I got platinum on the PS3 trilogy, but I don't know how I can get the savegames from PS3 and give it to you..

From what I read online you got to make a system backup onto a USB stick and dump the saves from there. (the USB to be formatted to FAT32 I believe.) link

Of course I'm not expecting you to dump the saves for me, but it'd be greatly appreciated. :o :D

Caesum 19-01-18 09:48

Is lighting really that flat on PS3? Apart from Lara everything else looks quite PS2/PC quality.

Joey79100 19-01-18 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by GFY2013 (Post 7811482)

They should have made the colours more vibrant. It looks even more dull than I remember. Having high resolution graphics and everything but still no improvement on the colours make it look bland, it could be so much better with more saturation.

JohnCroft25 19-01-18 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caesum (Post 7814232)
Is lighting really that flat on PS3? Apart from Lara everything else looks quite PS2/PC quality.

There are also other changes, like the water colour that has been changed into a more realistic one (as I have written in a previous post in this thread)...also, some textures have been redesigned (like the "Vergina Sun" in the first room of St Francis' Folly).

loom 29-01-18 13:14

I fail to see how the PS3 version is noticeably better than the pc one, graphically or otherwise. You can use Sweet Fx or maybe even Reshade ( I haven't tried ) on pc to make the game look better, especially if you play with colors and contrast.

GFY2013 29-01-18 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by loom (Post 7817083)
I fail to see how the PS3 version is noticeably better than the pc one, graphically or otherwise. You can use Sweet Fx or maybe even Reshade ( I haven't tried ) on pc to make the game look better, especially if you play with colors and contrast.

I don't know, it all comes down to preference, and I like it better. :o
Some textures are higher res, also in the PC version the environment does not have shadows. (only Lara) The water also looks better. (Looks like in Legend Next gen.)
And maybe Lara has more polygons.

VictorXD 04-02-18 01:39

^ This. Also Lara looks amazing when wet.

Really the only thing the PC version has going for it is high resolution.

JohnCroft25 04-02-18 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorXD (Post 7818595)
^ This. Also Lara looks amazing when wet.

But... does PS3 version have water effects? I don't see any when Lara gets out of the water.. or are they just barely noticeable? :confused:

AimlessThunder 05-02-18 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCroft25 (Post 7818836)
But... does PS3 version have water effects? I don't see any when Lara gets out of the water.. or are they just barely noticeable? :confused:

Check out 6:22 and 7:36.

link

JohnCroft25 06-02-18 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by AimlessThunder (Post 7819117)
Check out 6:22 and 7:36.

link

I don't see any wet effects on Lara :confused:

GFY2013 06-02-18 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCroft25 (Post 7819266)
I don't see any wet effects on Lara :confused:

I guess the only effect is that her top/shorts is wet (darker color), also she's more shiny a bit.

GFY2013 13-03-18 17:36

link
its in 4K just wait for youtube to process

New ****ty gameplay focused on graphics, with the latest (at that time) emulator version :D only Temple of Khamoon this time. :o:D

EDIT: I'm gonna upload some Peru gameplay soon. :D

GFY2013 14-03-18 14:28

link

Here it is. :D It just occured to me that I never showed any Peru gameplay before in the emulator. It has some graphical glitches like any other level.

I realized there is no sound on my video. :facepalm: gonna reupload now and i'll replace the links.
Fixed, replaced links.

GFY2013 12-05-18 14:18

Not 4K gameplay again, but a graphics comparison between RPCS3 and the original PC version.

The RPCS3 remastered one was rendered in 1440p with Vulkan api (but was recorded in 1080p), unlike the original PC one which was in 1080p with Dx9. :D

Shing 12-05-18 18:15

Cutscene is buggy in the emulated version (at the moment), but i like the shiny effect on Lara. Maybe it's too strong too, because of a bug, at least i didn't remember that effect on PS3 version (and lazy to check now).

Otherwise they didn't bother adding more effects to the PC version sadly... or most likely didn't have time. It's a pure PS2 game, using baked lighting/shadows, same resolution textures and barely any modern shaders. Nothing much to see sadly.

EDIT: Also thanks for the comparison, very good video.

Mokono 12-05-18 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shing (Post 7880805)
Cutscene is buggy in the emulated version (at the moment), but i like the shiny effect on Lara. Maybe it's too strong too, because of a bug, at least i didn't remember that effect on PS3 version (and lazy to check now).

The shadows in the level geometry seem to be missing too, but i'm positive the accuracy will improve with time as it's been the case with both PPSSPP and Dolphin.

Thank you, GFY2013, for the footage!