Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   The Lost Artifact (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   TLA crashes on windows 7 (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223210)

Feder 02-08-19 20:12

TLA crashes on windows 7

Hello people :wve:

So I was going through some old drawers and found my original TRTLA, and suddenly I was invaded by a great impulse to install it and play it one more time.

But after I installed it and attempted to play it, the game simply crashes to desktop when the main menu appears :confused:

Did anyone experience problems like this? Is there a patch necessary to make it work properly?

I have windows 7 home premium servipack 1, by the way :ponder:

UroshUchiha 02-08-19 21:19

[QUOTE=Feder;8117132]Hello people :wve:

So I was going through some old drawers and found my original TRTLA, and suddenly I was invaded by a great impulse to install it and play it one more time.

But after I installed it and attempted to play it, the game simply crashes to desktop when the main menu appears :confused:

Did anyone experience problems like this? Is there a patch necessary to make it work properly?

I have windows 7 home premium servipack 1, by the way :ponder:[/QUOTE]

You could try to run the game in compatibility mode set to Windows 98/Windows Me. I believe that worked for me.

You might also want to look into this thread, might find something of interest to improve your experience in the game: [url]https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=207886[/url]

Feder 02-08-19 23:21

I tryed to set the compatibility but it still doesn't work :o

I found in an old thread that there is a multipatch to fix some issues in windows 7/10, but I didn't find any links or information about it specifically :ponder:

Thanks for that link :cln: that will surely make this replay much more interesting.

UroshUchiha 03-08-19 00:01

[QUOTE=Feder;8117192]I tryed to set the compatibility but it still doesn't work :o

I found in an old thread that there is a multipatch to fix some issues in windows 7/10, but I didn't find any links or information about it specifically :ponder:

Thanks for that link :cln: that will surely make this replay much more interesting.[/QUOTE]

There is a multipatcher here that might help: [url]https://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr3/fixes.html[/url]

fallenangle 03-08-19 12:13

TR: TLA should play perfectly, just like TR3, on Windows 7 with the multipatch applied. I do have both it and TR3 set up for Win98 compatibility on a Win7 Pro 64bit machine which suggests this problem could be something else.

It might just be a coincidence but there's been another thread here in the last few day about what sounds like much the same problem. Unfortunately the solution did not work in that case but it makes sense to link to that thread as it might for this one.

[url]https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223194[/url]

Feder 03-08-19 16:12

The strangest thing is that TR3 works perfect, I didn't need any multipatch to make it work, so why am I having trouble with TLA only? :confused:

I'll try to install the multipatch and see if that fixes the problem :)

EDIT: the multipatch doesn't fix the problem :facepalm:

ANoDE 04-08-19 07:24

Have you tried running the game via dgvoodoo? I run my TR games through it and that seems to work perfectly fine. It's a bit of a hassle to get to know how to set it up though.

fallenangle 04-08-19 11:54

[QUOTE=Feder;8117471]The strangest thing is that TR3 works perfect, I didn't need any multipatch to make it work, so why am I having trouble with TLA only? :confused:

I'll try to install the multipatch and see if that fixes the problem :)

EDIT: the multipatch doesn't fix the problem :facepalm:[/QUOTE]

Are you using a no CD patch? Both TR3 and TLA are installed with that for me despite having the original discs of course. I do not know why that should make a difference in TLA's case if TR3 if working perfectly but unless there is something wrong with your TLA disc/installation it has to be some difference in the set up you're using for the latter.

Try launching TLA using "Run as administrator" from the right click mouse context menu. If that works it could be this* is the cause. Rather than muck about with that config.txt file you could just set TLA to always launch as admin in the Properties > Compatibility tab.

There have been reports in the past that Windows DEP (Data Execution Prevention) can cause certain games to crash. But if you want to add TLA as an exclusion then you need to to be very certain that it is not being blocked for good reason. DEP is a low level but important security feature so you have to be sure the TLA installation is malware free before doing that.

*The config.txt files for both TR3 and TLA should match but it is not unknown for those files to corrupt. What you could try is finding the working TR3 config.txt and copying that into TLA or at least comparing them. In both cases it'll be either in the main game folder or VirtualStore and there could be one in both. Again, if there are any differences between the two locations that might be it.

Feder 05-08-19 14:45

[QUOTE=ANoDE;8117693]Have you tried running the game via dgvoodoo? I run my TR games through it and that seems to work perfectly fine. It's a bit of a hassle to get to know how to set it up though.[/QUOTE]

I'm not familiar with dgvoodoo :o

[QUOTE=fallenangle;8117742]Are you using a no CD patch? Both TR3 and TLA are installed with that for me despite having the original discs of course. I do not know why that should make a difference in TLA's case if TR3 if working perfectly but unless there is something wrong with your TLA disc/installation it has to be some difference in the set up you're using for the latter.

Try launching TLA using "Run as administrator" from the right click mouse context menu. If that works it could be this* is the cause. Rather than muck about with that config.txt file you could just set TLA to always launch as admin in the Properties > Compatibility tab.

There have been reports in the past that Windows DEP (Data Execution Prevention) can cause certain games to crash. But if you want to add TLA as an exclusion then you need to to be very certain that it is not being blocked for good reason. DEP is a low level but important security feature so you have to be sure the TLA installation is malware free before doing that.

*The config.txt files for both TR3 and TLA should match but it is not unknown for those files to corrupt. What you could try is finding the working TR3 config.txt and copying that into TLA or at least comparing them. In both cases it'll be either in the main game folder or VirtualStore and there could be one in both. Again, if there are any differences between the two locations that might be it.[/QUOTE]

I reconected my old PC with windows XP and tryed to install the game in it, with the no cd-patch, and it works perfectly. There are two files in this folder that are not present in the windows 7 installation: the "data.bin" and the "config.txt". I will now try to copy the entire folder from this PC to the other and see if this missing files were causing the problem :ponder:

fallenangle 06-08-19 15:12

I thought that config.txt file might be involved.

Hope ^ that works.