Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   The Lost Artifact (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   tr3gold.exe crash on Win 10 (on main menu load) (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=224913)

Nickelony 12-08-20 08:02

I just installed TR3LA from my disk and I'm having the exact same issue. The game crashes as soon as the main menu title image shows up. I'm using Windows 10 ver. 2004. None of the compatibility settings worked. Has anyone found a solution for this issue yet?

laravision 12-08-20 13:41

[QUOTE=Nickelony;8229125]I just installed TR3LA from my disk and I'm having the exact same issue. The game crashes as soon as the main menu title image shows up. I'm using Windows 10 ver. 2004. None of the compatibility settings worked. Has anyone found a solution for this issue yet?[/QUOTE]

I've lost track of the amount of times I've given instructions on how to run this game. Apart from compatibility settings, can you outline what exactly you have done so far? If you haven't patched the game and copied folders over from the CD, you will face problems.

I've never had an issue running this game, even on Windows 10. There must be some variable which prevents this game from running...perhaps with high-end systems. :confused:

Nickelony 12-08-20 16:43

[QUOTE=laravision;8229174]I've lost track of the amount of times I've given instructions on how to run this game. Apart from compatibility settings, can you outline what exactly you have done so far? If you haven't patched the game and copied folders over from the CD, you will face problems.

I've never had an issue running this game, even on Windows 10. There must be some variable which prevents this game from running...perhaps with high-end systems. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Basically everything which was mentioned here.
None of the compatibility settings (Win95...Win8) have worked.
DxWnd didn't work.
The config.txt file doesn't even exist in either my TR3 or TR3GOLD game folder. Is there something I'm missing? The settings are getting saved though. TR3 runs perfectly fine and it's from the same physical copy (a bundle with the first 6 TR games + GOLDs)
Peixoto's patch didn't work either.

I ran out of ideas at this point. :/

I remember I ran the game without any issues on Win10 a while ago, but I'm not sure if that was before or after I upgraded my PC.
I'm currently using a [B]Ryzen 2600x[/B] + [B]GTX 1070Ti[/B] combo, dunno if that info would help.

laravision 12-08-20 20:38

Okay, where do you have the game installed? If it's in Program Files, this could explain the absence of config file in the games folder. See the following quote:
[QUOTE=Sardoc;6952729]If both of these are true:

- the game is installed in C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86)\........... ;
- AND you have User Account Control turned on (those yes-no questions which appear every time you install something),

then your saves will be in
C:\Users\*insert username*\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Core Design\Tomb Raider

Otherwise (UAC turned off and/or the game installed anywhere but C disk), it will just be in the game location.[/QUOTE]

This also pertains to the config file in addition to savegame files. This is an older quote, so things work a little differently on Windows 10, but the VirtualStore location is still utilised. Perhaps try moving your Lost Artefact folder to another location such as the documents folder, and try all troubleshooting steps again, including running the setup. It may not make any difference, but it's worth a shot.

Nickelony 13-08-20 09:49

[QUOTE=laravision;8229294]Okay, where do you have the game installed? If it's in Program Files, this could explain the absence of config file in the games folder. See the following quote:

This also pertains to the config file in addition to savegame files. This is an older quote, so things work a little differently on Windows 10, but the VirtualStore location is still utilised. Perhaps try moving your Lost Artefact folder to another location such as the documents folder, and try all troubleshooting steps again, including running the setup. It may not make any difference, but it's worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

The [B]VirtualStore[/B] directory is empty... There's nothing there.
I have reinstalled TR3GOLD onto my second drive, outside [B]Program Files[/B] and I've got the same main-menu crashing issue.
My friend also sent me one of his 100% working TR3GOLD copies and even that copy doesn't launch for me.
I then tried installing the game on my brother's Win10 PC and... it doesn't work there either.

I guess I won't be replaying TR3GOLD anytime soon. :<

ATombRaiderFan 13-08-20 10:15

^Just to put here how I got TLA up and running on windows 10. Maybe it will help.[LIST=1][*]Go into 'Documents' and create a folder. This will be your TLA directory.[*]Open the disc and copy the following folders; audio, data, fmv, pix, script and support, and paste all these into the new TLA directory.[*]Put Arsunt's exe and dll files into the TLA directory.[/LIST]

laravision 13-08-20 12:03

[QUOTE=Nickelony;8229350]The [B]VirtualStore[/B] directory is empty... There's nothing there.
I have reinstalled TR3GOLD onto my second drive, outside [B]Program Files[/B] and I've got the same main-menu crashing issue.
My friend also sent me one of his 100% working TR3GOLD copies and even that copy doesn't launch for me.
I then tried installing the game on my brother's Win10 PC and... it doesn't work there either.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Nickelony;8229229] The settings are getting saved though.[/QUOTE]

This is strange. How do you know the settings are being saved if the game crashes? I don't think TR3 uses the registry to save settings like the other games do; it's done via the config.txt file. This config file doesn't seem to be generating and could be the culprit of the crashes.

As you mentioned TR3 works fine, then locate your TR3 config file - is it present in your TR3 folder or its VirtualStore location? If you find it, copy and paste it into your TLA folder. You can also refer to the following config settings (you may have done so already).

Save the following as config.txt and place it in your TR3 LA folder:
[code]
DD 0
D3D 1
D3DTF 1
DS 0
VM 18
ZBUFFER 1
DITHER 1
FILTER 1
AGP 0
SOUND 1
JOYSTICK 0
MMX 0
SFX 10
MUSIC 5
GAMMA 10.000000
DEFKEY 200 208 203 205 52 53 54 184 157 57 51 82 207 1
USERKEY 72 80 75 77 83 79 54 184 157 57 76 82 207 1[/code]

Also, have you tried running the game as administrator? If all else fails, you may be facing a similar issue as [URL="https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=8226822&postcount=12"]Sardoc[/URL], although he hasn't specifically mentioned about the config.txt file missing...

My folder contents (Documents) on Windows 10:

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/rygFwzsK/tla-folder.png[/IMG]

I'm assuming you've tried [URL="https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=7733224&postcount=15"]Arsunt's patch[/URL] and/or the generic [URL="http://www.mediafire.com/file/4d7299dvad52o33/tr3gold.exe"]No-CD[/URL] patched exe's?

[QUOTE=ATombRaiderFan;8229352][LIST=1][*]Go into 'Documents' and create a folder. This will be your TLA directory.[*]Open the disc and copy the following folders; audio, data, fmv, pix, [B]script[/B] and [B]support[/B], and paste all these into the new TLA directory.[*]Put Arsunt's exe and dll files into the TLA directory.[/LIST][/QUOTE]

What are those files in bold? They are not present in my folder/sub folders. As far as I know, TLA doesn't use a file called "script". As for "support", I highly doubt some HTML file from the year 2000 is vital in getting the game to run. :p

ATombRaiderFan 13-08-20 13:08

^Ah okay thanks. The 'script' folder contains a file called trtla.dat - I don't know if it's necessary for running the game so I just did the 'devil you know' thing and tried covering all bases. :o

[Update] Just checked and trtla.dat is also present in 'data' folder as well.

Nickelony 13-08-20 13:14

[QUOTE=laravision;8229364]This is strange. How do you know the settings are being saved if the game crashes? I don't think TR3 uses the registry to save settings like the other games do; it's done via the config.txt file. This config file doesn't seem to be generating and could be the culprit of the crashes.[/QUOTE]

I just want to point out that the TR3GOLD build I have is from 2011 and it's from the polish publisher [B]Cenega[/B]. Yes, you heard it right, it's a BUILD from 2011. It's a bit different from the original because it doesn't have the usual game folder structure. Instead of all the folders being in the main directory, there's a [B]cd[/B] folder, which contains all the game files.

Going a bit off-topic, that disc also has a very interesting TR2+Gold build, where you choose which game (TR2 or TR2GOLD) you want to play at the start... but it's not like an additional window, it's an in-game choice. This basically makes it impossible for me to apply any external patches to that .exe file, because it's not the original build. It's from 2011 as well and even the .exe file name is different this time.

But going back to TR3GOLD, I tried everything at this point. Moving folders and even getting a different build to see if it runs. Sadly, the same issue happens to that other build too.

Creating the config file manually doesn't help, but at the same time, as I already said, the TR3 build from that disc works perfectly fine. All the settings in that game are getting saved, but... the config.txt file is nowhere to be found. Neither in the game folder nor in the [B]VirtualStore[/B] folder. (keep in mind that this is also a build from 2011)

Also neither [B]Arsunt's patch[/B] nor the [B]No-CD[/B] patch helped. (On both my version and my friend's more "authentic" version, which doesn't even support 1080p screens)

RIP I guess.

[B]EDIT:[/B] I think I have a theory... can it be a sound driver / sound device related issue? The game crashes when the main menu song starts playing. I tried disabling the sound entirely, but that didn't fix it, although I remember having a similar issue once and doing something with my sound devices helped. I will try to investigate.

laravision 13-08-20 15:03

[QUOTE=ATombRaiderFan;8229369]^Ah okay thanks. The 'script' folder contains a file called trtla.dat - I don't know if it's necessary for running the game so I just did the 'devil you know' thing and tried covering all bases. :o

[Update] Just checked and trtla.dat is also present in 'data' folder as well.[/QUOTE]

Okay. To my knowledge, the trla.dat file should be placed in the data folder, not the root folder. I've just checked the TLA CD contents (Premiere Collection), and it's in a folder called Script. It is a required file. I wonder why it's not located in the data folder on the disc? Maybe this is how the file structure was pre-patch days?

@[B]Nickelony[/B]

I think I have heard of this classic bundle edition. Perhaps they are indeed structured a little differently as you pointed out with TR2+Gold.

So, when you play TR3, do you need the CD in the drive with that edition? Doubtful, but I wonder if this edition saves its settings using a different method (like a .reg entry), seeing as you cannot find any config file. Have you tried an actual search on your PC for that config file?

Can you show the contents of your TR3/TLA game folders? Where are the tombpc.dat (TR3) & trla.dat (TLA) files located? As there might be some build/structure differences, it's worth comparing to mine. Also, your friends "100% working TR3GOLD" copy that you tried and was still faced with a crash - was that from one of these newer bundle builds? If not, that points to this issue being some other variable, not related to builds.

Who knows. This whole bundle edition thing has thrown a spanner in the works, but it may not even be related.

[QUOTE=Nickelony;8229372][B]EDIT:[/B] I think I have a theory... can it be a sound driver / sound device related issue? The game crashes when the main menu song starts playing. I tried disabling the sound entirely, but that didn't fix it, although I remember having a similar issue once and doing something with my sound devices helped. I will try to investigate.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...interesting. Earlier in this thread, Sardoc mentioned that he had audio issues (with TR2) in addition to the Lost Artefact crash problem.