www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Legend (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Tomb Raider Legend UNappreciation (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=224490)

Kidd Bowyer 14-05-20 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mek (Post 8197166)
I agree with this completely.

I'll add that I don't think that the trend to make trilogies out of everything (movies, games) boosts their quality. As I know several trilogies, it seems that they usually artificial lengthen a single story. Making trilogies would not decrease the quality if the entire story was written at once, but not after releasing a part of it. The writers must add a new part to an unfinished history and cannot change already released parts and foresee the newer ones. I think that Anniversary was worse by being part of the story and Underworld was massively worse because of it. For me both Natla and Amanda didn't fit it in Underworld.

I know what you mean. There's a feeling of narrative elements being "stretched" to make the Legend trilogy work.
Trying to tie in Amanda's search for Avalon with Natla's plan to "kickstart evolution" (which ALREADY tied together four different civilizations/mythologies), and trying to tie BOTH of those into the "Norse Apocalypse"...it all feels warped in a way that's hard to summarize.

Both villains' stories feel resolved in their own games, so having 'em both come back for Round 2 in Underworld seems unnecessary. (Also the visual weirdness of Lara facing off against two white women with platinum blond hair. If the two of them were always meant to work together, I feel like the designers maybe should have done more to contrast their designs. Even just giving Natla her old, darker blonde would've helped a bit.)

_Tomb_Raider 14-05-20 20:56

I agree with everything that was said. For me, the story in Legend was great, if there was no family drama attached to it, it would be near perfect.

And then Underworld came... what an epic mess that was. It wasted so much potential left by King Arthur myth and the whole secrecy of Avalon. I still cringe when I see Thor statues in Mexico and Thailand. :facepalm: Stuffing Anniversary's story and adding Norse mythology together in the mix was such a bad decision.

One member posted way back how Tihocan being a true Thor was a big miss. I would totally agree with this and I think this would maybe, just MAYBE, make the whole narrative more coherent.

Lara_Fan1 14-05-20 21:15

^

I like how the family drama takes a backseat though. Yes the whole point of the story is to find out what happened to Amelia in Nepal but the story focuses much more on Excalibur and King Arthur. The whole Amelia story arc is only present in the opening, Bolivia the end of Nepal and obvious Bolivia Redux. Which compared to Rise and Shadow is nothing, she goes on about her Father and Mother far too much that it overtakes the actual story.

Thatís why I didnít mind Tomb Raiderí13 that much, Richard is mentioned in a passing comment at the beginning and explained more towards the end of the game.

LateRaider 14-05-20 23:23

what pisses me off about the ending of TR:L is lara could've just screamed "turn and run" at amelia and her younger self until her voice was hoarse and she probably would've changed fate. but she was too stupid to think of that apparently

Tomb Raidering 14-05-20 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8197529)
what pisses me off about the ending of TR:L is lara could've just screamed "turn and run" at amelia and her younger self until her voice was hoarse and she probably would've changed fate. but she was too stupid to think of that apparently

But Amelia wasn’t properly hearing or comprehending her, since even though she said “Mother, it’s me. It’s Lara, your daughter”, Amelia got worried about the young Lara near her.

ThatNorskChick 14-05-20 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8197305)
in good news, the doppelganger shot alister and now he is dead :jmp:

:D A moment of silence for Alister...ah, beautiful silence...

LateRaider 15-05-20 00:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering (Post 8197531)
But Amelia wasn’t properly hearing or comprehending her, since even though she said “Mother, it’s me. It’s Lara, your daughter”, Amelia got worried about the young Lara near her.

she heard lara shout "don't touch the sword" pretty clearly. i think she could've heard her shout "amelia, turn and run" if she'd like... done that

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatNorskChick (Post 8197540)
:D A moment of silence for Alister...ah, beautiful silence...

you know a hilarious thing is i see fan art and discussion of winston, jean-yves, von croy, kurtis, sam, jonah, reyes, roth, unuratu. even the occasional about charles kane, father bram, alex, and abby.

but literally no one ever talks about zip or alister. no one. i think that's ****ing hilarious

JAMJOOM 16-05-20 02:00

super

[LIST][*]major flaw in the story: how was the sword broken into pieces that appeared in different places around the world if it was intact in Nepal when Lara was young?
:D You're right.
Maybe this is why the game is successful, the simplicity of ideas and ease of playing. The level of difficulty in the game is so easy that even the kids were playing it, but at the same time it's a deep game with its story.
You can feel like Lara is closer to you than any other game.
I feel very bad that the graphics are weak
Even after NG modification, it won't reach Underworld level.:mad:

TR1249 16-05-20 06:43

As far as I understood, there are several swords.

Mek 16-05-20 10:56

Today I've noticed another inconsistency: young Lara in Nepal cannot see the person in the portal, but Amanda in Bolivia can (you can see Lara's mother in the portal from her perspective), although both young Lara and Amanda see the portal from a similar distance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR1249 (Post 8197852)
As far as I understood, there are several swords.

I've looked for more information about the sword and the stone daises after posting this thread, because I was curious if this was found before or if there is some explanation to it and I've found information that there might have been more swords (for instance, in thread So where would the other Stone Dias/sword frags sites have been found?). Even if this was the case, when you analyze it deeper, it seems for me like it is not totally consistent (an example: purpose of breaking the sword). It looks like there are several old threads about this on the forum with the analysis and doubts regarding some aspects of the concept of the swords and the daises, but I've only just flicked through them for now.