Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   General Final Fantasy Thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=86691)

Alive_and_Funky 14-02-07 20:41

[QUOTE=Rivendell;1575869]I'd recommend going from FF7 onwards (solely because it's what I did!) I like the plots better in FF7/8/9 than in any of them before it, and find that I can relate to the characters a lot more and get much more drawn into the plot :tmb:[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the advice.

What are the originals like anyway? I don't really mind if the plots aren't too good, I just want the adventure itself to be good. :p
[QUOTE=Forwen;1575951]Nonono! It's too much of a love-or-hate title to risk getting disappointed like that! (And it's also one of the greatest mistakes of a history, plastering the name of a legend on something like [i]that[/i])[/QUOTE]
Sorry, but it's a risk I have to take. What don't you like about it anyway? I have heard that *possible spoiler* [COLOR="White"]Cloud dresses in drag[/COLOR] *end of spoiler*, is that a reason why?

Forwen 14-02-07 20:52

[QUOTE=Alive_and_Funky;1576021]Thanks for the advice.

What are the originals like anyway? I don't really mind if the plots aren't too good, I just want the adventure itself to be good. :p

Sorry, but it's a risk I have to take. What don't you like about it anyway? I have heard that *possible spoiler* [COLOR="White"]Cloud dresses in drag[/COLOR] *end of spoiler*, is that a reason why?[/QUOTE]
You know, once I decided to try and sum up my opinion on what's wrong with FFVII in a form of an article. So far it's got about 20 pages in MS Word :o

I think you shouldn't start out with FFVII because it's already a relict - something to know, but probably not to enjoy. It's a history of FF, not its present - it's got a plot full of holes (way beyond "open to interpretation"), mostly sketchy (and I believe cheap) characters, unbalanced narration, rather frustrating battle system (not as much as FFIX though). Imo starting with FFVII in this day 'n' age is like watching a film you've wanted to see for ages on a monochrome TV. Sure it's history, but it's not exciting anymore - even worse if you were convinced before that monochrome TV is the best thing that can happen to a film fan.

By the way - nope, I had no problem with a [COLOR="White"]drag[/COLOR] ;) Why should I? This scene was actually one of the better ones in the entire game, and one of the very few moments I actually smiled. Not surprising, as first 7-10 hours if the game are in my opinion the most polished.

Kiss-Bite 14-02-07 20:53

I'm so excited right now as i know that FF12 is being released here in the UK next week after a wait that has seemed like an eternity!:jmp: I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan & love them all for a different reasons.:)

Hyper_Crazy 14-02-07 20:55

[QUOTE=Kiss-Bite;1576076]I'm so excited right now as i know that FF12 is being released here in the UK next week after a wait that has seemed like an eternity!:jmp: I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan & love them all for a different reasons.:)[/QUOTE]

I'm not really excited about FFXII really, since FFX the games have kind of got worse...

Angelus 14-02-07 20:59

[QUOTE=Mad Tony;1575910]Well then don't post here.
If you don't like it, then what's the point in posting in here?[/QUOTE]

The thread is called "General Final Fantasy Thread", and I was just giving my general opinion on FF. Sorry if I've annoyed you or something. :)

Mad Tony 14-02-07 21:05

[quote=Angelus;1576102]The thread is called "General Final Fantasy Thread", and I was just giving my general opinion on FF. Sorry if I've annoyed you or something. :)[/quote]
Well you did a little, because I just don't see the point in posting if there isn't even gonna be a reason why. :wve:

Alive_and_Funky 14-02-07 21:19

[QUOTE=Forwen;1576073]You know, once I decided to try and sum up my opinion on what's wrong with FFVII in a form of an article. So far it's got about 20 pages in MS Word :o

I think you shouldn't start out with FFVII because it's already a relict - something to know, but probably not to enjoy. It's a history of FF, not its present - it's got a plot full of holes (way beyond "open to interpretation"), mostly sketchy (and I believe cheap) characters, unbalanced narration, rather frustrating battle system (not as much as FFIX though). Imo starting with FFVII in this day 'n' age is like watching a film you've wanted to see for ages on a monochrome TV. Sure it's history, but it's not exciting anymore - even worse if you were convinced before that monochrome TV is the best thing that can happen to a film fan.

By the way - nope, I had no problem with a [COLOR="White"]drag[/COLOR] ;) Why should I? This scene was actually one of the better ones in the entire game, and one of the very few moments I actually smiled. Not surprising, as first 7-10 hours if the game are in my opinion the most polished.[/QUOTE]
I see. Well, I still plan to play it (I doubt anything you say will change my mind about that :p), but I'll think hard about which one to play first.

About the [COLOR="White"]drag[/COLOR] thing, I wasn't implying that you have a problem with one, I just thought that it might have been out of place. I'm not sure when and why that happens in the game though, so I just sort of jumped to the conclusion that it might have been a stupid thing that was put in the game. By "stupid thing that was put in," I mean something which leaves you thinking "Why the heck is that in the game?", you know what I mean?

Legend of Lara 14-02-07 21:28

I like FFXII. It has a great battle system.

Forwen 14-02-07 21:39

[QUOTE=Alive_and_Funky;1576160]I see. Well, I still plan to play it (I doubt anything you say will change my mind about that :p), but I'll think hard about which one to play first.[/quote]
I'm not trying to discourage you from playing it - if only because it's advisable and welcome to know what people are discussing all over the game world ;) Just urging you to reconsider playing it as your first FF, because some concepts are way out of date and not fun anymore.

Oh well - that was an opinion of a one that is from the haters' camp anyway. Believe me, no matter what FF you'll ask about you will always get black&white opinions, so I guess you will just go your own way with the series, as most do.
[QUOTE=Alive_and_Funky;1576160]About the [COLOR="White"]drag[/COLOR] thing, I wasn't implying that you have a problem with one, I just thought that it might have been out of place. I'm not sure when and why that happens in the game though, so I just sort of jumped to the conclusion that it might have been a stupid thing that was put in the game. By "stupid thing that was put in," I mean something which leaves you thinking "Why the heck is that in the game?", you know what I mean?[/QUOTE]
Yep, now I do. And even though it's a tad controversial scene in FF fanbase I didn't have a problem with it. It was absurd, and I like absurdity ;)

Megalith 14-02-07 21:42

I'm a second gen FF Fan (FFVII was the first i played),and i love everything FF related (yes,even X-2).
I can't wait to play FFXII!!!
After that i will have to buy FFIII...arrrgg,too many games too play and so little time!!!:D