Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What's the best way to experience/play AoD for the first time? (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=220496)

NoahCrofRaider 22-06-18 16:09

What's the best way to experience/play AoD for the first time?

Hi everyone. :wve: I'll get straight to the point: This is going to be the first time I'll play through AoD (partially as part of a marathon leading up to Shadow), and since there are bugs and such, what is the best way to experience the game for a first-timer?

I'm not sure if I should play through the vanilla version of the game, or if I should try to get some patches for a better playthrough, so I thought I'd get a second opinion.

SunDormant 22-06-18 16:23

I think patches are a must because I've heard you may inevitably get into really awful situations at some point on your playthrough.

If you are playing on PC, keyboard all the way. Don't even think about using the mouse. Just play the game like you would do with the classics.

Finally, HD Textures or other mods that you may find here could be left for some other time. I think the game is graphically nice as it is, but if you feel improved visuals may enhance your first time playing AOD, use them.

NoahCrofRaider 22-06-18 16:25

[QUOTE=SunDormant;7912995]I think patches are a must because I've heard you may inevitably get into really awful situations at some point on your playthrough.

If you are playing on PC, keyboard all the way. Don't even think about using the mouse. Just play the game like you would do with the classics.

Finally, HD Textures or other mods that you may find here could be left for some other time. I think the game is graphically nice as it is, but if you feel improved visuals may enhance your first time playing AOD, use them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much! I’ll keep the regular textures because I enjoy those a bit more, but I will get Sasho’s control patch. :D

Zreen001 22-06-18 16:42

There are a couple puzzles that are a bit difficult with Sasho's controls patch, I think the Breath of Hades in Hall of Seasons is the most egregious, just be careful, otherwise everything else's good. You can even skip most of Wrath of the Beast with the instant running-jumping.

NoahCrofRaider 22-06-18 17:01

I barely started, and I was going to ask if you could disable the walk-run mode? Because when I want to start running, I don’t want to start off walking first. (I apologize if this is out in the open in the setup or something and I missed it. :o)

red_lion 22-06-18 17:03

[QUOTE=NoahCrofRaider;7913021]I barely started, and I was going to ask if you could disable the walk-run mode? Because when I want to start running, I don’t want to start off walking first. (I apologize if this is out in the open in the setup or something and I missed it. :o)[/QUOTE]

You can walk, you can run. What more do you want :)

NoahCrofRaider 22-06-18 17:07

[QUOTE=red_lion;7913022]You can walk, you can run. What more do you want :)[/QUOTE]

I want the ability to not be able to wait through a walking transition into a run. I just want to start running. Not walk then start running.

SunDormant 22-06-18 17:15

I think that mostly happens when, before Lara starts running, you press left or right. If you just push forward, Lara won't start walking, but will immediately run.

Yes, it's awful that you have to do that when in all other TRs you can just press whatever you want xD

NoahCrofRaider 22-06-18 17:17

[QUOTE=SunDormant;7913043]I think that mostly happens when, before Lara starts running, you press left or right. If you just push forward, Lara should not start walking but will immediately run.

Yes, it's awful that you have to do that when in all other TRs you can just press whatever you want xD[/QUOTE]

Gah. XD I’ll just have to live with it then. I’m so excited for this playthrough though. I’ve wanted to play AoD for such a long time, but I never got around to it. :jmp:

red_lion 22-06-18 17:29

[QUOTE=NoahCrofRaider;7913045]Gah. XD I’ll just have to live with it then. I’m so excited for this playthrough though. I’ve wanted to play AoD for such a long time, but I never got around to it. :jmp:[/QUOTE]

Or you can download the multipatcher from Nakamichi680. See here: [url]http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=7758591&postcount=310[/url]

[QUOTE]
- Added Lag Free Walk Mode: removes the delay between pressing "WALK" key and "LEFT CURSOR" or "RIGHT CURSOR" keys required to perform a side step. On Sasho's versions this fix applies to step back too. Working with both keyboard and gamepad.[/QUOTE]