Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Request for a bigger, more ambitious Lara Croft game in third person. (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=213234)

Nigel Cassidy 06-12-15 15:34

Request for a bigger, more ambitious Lara Croft game in third person.

Dearly beloved Crystal Dynamics,

When it comes to post-Underworld games I have decided that I am [B]no longer a Tomb Raider fan[/B]. There, I said it. I am a [B]Lara Croft fan instead[/B] - of the series [I]Lara Croft[/I].

I have decided that the reboot TR games have nothing to offer me: yes, the gameplay is good, but it's nothing that can't be found elsewhere and the 'Lara Croft' here is not 'my' Lara Croft, not the one that I enjoy.

I now understand that Guardian of Light back in the days ushered in a new series, the spin-off series Lara Croft. I am most grateful that you kept traditional Lara alive in this spin-off and I have greatly enjoyed most of it's games. But what I'm asking for now is: is it possible to make a bigger, more ambitious, more expensive game in third person perspective in this series? One that has gameplay that is kinda similar to Rise of the Tomb Raider, as in:

- manual aim.
- platforming with the aftertouch feature.
- weapon upgrading.
- some RPG-ish things

...but with this Lara:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/LKmlwSK.jpg[/IMG]

Who's got:

- dual pistols.
- Keeley Hawes' voice.
- And, well.. I don't need to explain how this Lara needs to be; Temple of Osiris got it perfectly as far as I'm concerned. :)

And of course the world in which [I]that [/I]Lara lives: so instead of getting dirty and bloodied and crying in the corner, this Lara is supposed to be [B]ridiculously awesome[/B], and looking amazing while being it.

Like when in Relic Run she drives her quad over a cliff, dives down, grabs a liana and ends up on a path to continue. Or when she jumps over a Tyrannosaur. I was like: 'Yes! That is the ridiculous awesomeness I want to see Lara Croft doing!'
Also take note how the environment is bright and colourful and both it and Lara are a pleasure to look at. That's what I want, you know? Brightness and colour! And perhaps the graphics don't need to be super advanced; I think this style of game works better in graphics like below:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LVmjYvJ.jpg?1[/img][img]http://i.imgur.com/SjDwNxm.jpg?1[/img]

Making a large, third person game around this Lara would allow for reintroducing some of the elements of the Lara Croft mythology that games like Temple of Osiris are not exactly the right platform for: such as the manorhouse, a high society party, or vehicle sections.

Personally, I was a huge fan of Carter Bell, and of the comical dialogue that he had in Temple of Osiris. That lighthearted comedic element was so incredibly welcome after the way too heavy, serious darkness of the reboot games, it really sets the two series apart from eachother. So put Carter Bell in that game too please.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/9aUUl5F.jpg?1[/img]

As for the gameplay elements that require a bow: I would be severely displeased if that friggin' thing was gonna show up in this game, but I accept a crossbow or a harpoon gun: those things do seem appropriate for traditional Lara and they too can set things on fire from a distance, make ziplines and so forth.

I really don't think it's too much to ask if Crystal D was to make this game when you're done with the sequel to Rise. You got yourself a nice trilogy then, to be republished into a trilogy box, and then everybody can take some time out by making and playing a Lara Croft game that is totaly different in tone and will be a fresh breath of air for everyone.

So, how about it eh? I will add a pretty please if that is necessary :D

[B]Wall of Honour[/B]: these people are the passionate supporters of this proposal:

CheshireBitch
Enzimix
Laralicious
Xopax
Alex Fly
HsuanPo
HRHCroft
Dream
MBog
Laras Dream

WWETombRaider
TheRCroft
GabrielCroft
_KC_
Qualopec21
TheMadModder
pipermaru
ESCachuli
Shirley_Manson
Coffin Fodder

Jorje Croft
laracroftswest
JsotoTRSaga
Patrick star
NoahCrofRaider
Love2Raid
Larson_1988
Enya Brennan
Red Master FFX
thabani33

Sir Launcelot
cara loft
laracroft1997
Uninvited
Orionvalentine
Yuna´s Wish
Sanglyph
anthonycraig
Hazelphoenix
kunoichi

Horus-Goddess
iMakeMyOwnLuck
Metalrocks
PallasAthene
Fabiusco
trfansince96
Mikky
doppeL
Chamayoo
tomekkobialka

Vaskito
paulojr_mam
benjamin_2010
TR1249
SpiralStorm
Shakira Croft
danraid
random0905
Moylen
Retro Raider

sheepman23
dcw123
Annoying Fool
Raider99
lizardspock110
VindicativeBF
Tesla
Revenge
Aragogo
Jonipoon

Lio123
VictorXD
ThatSassyKid
EQuartermain
Lara_Fan1
SrDanielPonces
RoseTyler
moongirl
HeroBrineR
Nausinous

Alex Croft.
TheDetectiveXx
Ryudo
LaraHocusPocus
Tombraider95
lordkaho
quetzalcoatl
ryan91
SamCactus101
**LARA LOVER**

KyleRises
Epic Fumble
Nenya awakens
MegaGamer
larafan1996
jonathanrij
Newraider75
dragoon004
pr0ton
tpboy

Nathan McCree
malferink
Zhyttya
Sifo-Dyas
JACOBryanBURNS
dinne
girlyB
Grid21
suckerpunch
Ceamonks890

New Dwight
GRiannisRaider
SarahPilko
ANoDE
remyma
SRE Croft
Kapu
kabal
Lillie
wearemany

milkshake364
Matie
dantedmc
CrisGer
andre_costa
Ramoram
Jewlz420
tomblover
Error96
Anakzunamuhn

laracroftonline
Vinkula
frankgberry
MicheleMouse
Lara Croft!
ArigatoGozymas
Aminahveggie
Gaelen
anniversarytr11
Waxyyyy

Wooxman
E.Carnby
Edming
jhons0529
CroftManiac05
biscuits
Kurtis6
TheLostSecret
n00basaur
Guuims

Yeauxleaux
PinkyPromise
LAUFan
ActuallyArlow
kiersaint
Samz
Tonyrobinson
Gabi
Eliana Croft
Lily.J

MuruCoder
Nerdy
Ahmier
Ruu11
Alterjano
JuditePrince12
Mutant Messiah
Legends
sikasika18
Topixtor

Ligufaca
DOPE
Ross C
TombRaiderTim
Avalon SARL

[img]http://i.imgur.com/wK2Y4Na.jpg[/img]

scremanie 06-12-15 19:46

[QUOTE=Nigel Cassidy;7504833]Dearly beloved Crystal Dynamics,

When it comes to post-Underworld games I have decided that I am [B]no longer a Tomb Raider fan[/B]. There, I said it. I am a [B]Lara Croft fan instead[/B] - of the series [I]Lara Croft[/I].

I have decided that the reboot TR games have nothing to offer me: yes, the gameplay is good, but it's nothing that can't be found elsewhere and [b]the 'Lara Croft' here is not 'my' Lara Croft, not the one that I enjoy.[/b]
[/QUOTE]

Well, that's [i]exactly[/i] it. She isn't the same. The series has been REBOOTED. This is a completely new character, which CD are definitely not denying, nor are they trying to say she is the exact same. They've stated time and time again, that she is a new Lara. The game mechanics have also been changed, and I for one like them, and this NEW Lara. I'm honestly over people trashing the revamped system/Lara, just because they can't accept that it's not the same as the classics. The classics worked... back in the day. Not in today's standards of gaming. Now I'm in no way trying to be a dick here, but honestly, people need to let it go and just move on. Old Lara isn't dead, hence the Lara Croft series that CD has created to satisfy the fans that dislike TReboot world/Lara, or the fans that just won't let her go.

I for one, still love Classic Lara/TR, but I do not want to see the TReboot universe go back to that system... especially Lara. This NEW character (Lara) is great.

Nigel Cassidy 06-12-15 20:02

You know: if I understand you well you're approving of me because I have 'let it go' in declaring myself no longer a TR fan...

But the way people are often talking about this in terms of: 'this is a REBOOT', 'let it go!', 'move on!'... it kinda comes across as if you're saying that we should just gobble up whatever they shove down our throats and say thank you sir can I have another, regardless of what it is.

That's not how it works: if you like something it's because it caters to a certain demand of yours. When it no longer does that the product is not wanted anymore. And no amount of 'this is a REBOOT' is gonna change that. And it's the most ordinary thing in the world to complain about that and request something that you do like.

CheshireBitch 06-12-15 22:47

I agree with Nigel ! I don't know if they'll make a bigger Lara Croft game but I sure want a new Lara Croft game. Classic Lara + the style of the reboot would be just great. But I don't mind if the new Lara Croft game is more like temple of osiris, I just want a new one ! :)

Metalrocks 07-12-15 01:08

i certainly would like to see more colourful surroundings. having maybe some darker section like a torture chamber or something ritual related stuff would be ok.
was never a fan of the lara croft series. the gameplay just didnt appeal to me and osiris was on top a terrible port on pc that it was impossible to play. but since it was the same mechanics, i cant say i miss anything.
so far i had no chance to play the new titles due xbox release only for the time being but i had to chance to play it at a convention in hong kong with meagan (thanks again meagan :D ). it was nice to look at. at least the demo part i have played but i have seen more videos and it was still dark and i like to see more brighter hubs that is just more appealing and relaxing to look at.

lets see if the third title will be some way brighter and after that, the new once will be again the way we used to play TR like the LAU series.

Nigel Cassidy 07-12-15 20:40

[QUOTE=Metalrocks;7505178]
lets see if the third title will be some way brighter and after that, the new once will be again the way we used to play TR like the LAU series.[/QUOTE]
It would take more than that. At least for me; the lack of brightness and colour is but one (well actually two :rolleyes:) of many things.

Enzimix 07-12-15 21:13

agreed! I'll love a more bigger Lara Croft game :D after all that's the only thing left to enjoy for the classic fans... the 20th anniversary is coming... who knows :whi:

Nigel Cassidy 07-12-15 21:32

Thanks for the support. :)

By the way, I'd like to emphasize that this in no way has to influence or tamper with the reboot: the two series could just live side by side under the same 'Lara Croft umbrella' as Scott Amos put it. I'm just asking for the Lara Croft games to grow a bit bigger than the B-games and cellphone games they are now.

CheshireBitch 07-12-15 22:10

[QUOTE=Nigel Cassidy;7505576]Thanks for the support. :)

By the way, I'd like to emphasize that this in no way has to influence or tamper with the reboot: the two series could just live side by side under the same 'Lara Croft umbrella' as Scott Amos put it. I'm just asking for the Lara Croft games to grow a bit bigger than the B-games and cellphone games they are now.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they could release bigger Lara Croft games and we could have Tomb Raider Reboot too at the same time like:

2017: Lara Croft
2019: Tomb Raider
2021 : Lara Croft
2023: Tomb Raider
and so on...

It could be great and as they are two very different type of games, it would be more creative for them.

Nigel Cassidy 07-12-15 22:23

[QUOTE=CheshireBitch;7505620]Yes, they could release bigger Lara Croft games and we could have Tomb Raider Reboot too at the same time like:

2017: Lara Croft
2019: Tomb Raider
2021 : Lara Croft
2023: Tomb Raider
and so on...

It could be great and as they are two very different type of games, it would be more creative for them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but that's what they're even doing already: with Temple of Osiris spanning the gap between TR9 and TR10, and presumably another such game in late 2016.
The basic ideas are already there; now we only need to encourage them to think bigger.