Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider (Crystal Dynamics' version) (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   TOMB RAIDER General Discussion Thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=187894)

tomee 07-01-13 13:30

Voted.
Poor TR, it's always second to something. :vlol:
At first it was Assassin's creed 3 and now GTA 5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by klona (Post 6593451)
I voted for TR! :D
OMG, why is GTA winning.
It's garbage.

GTA never really disappointed the fanbase. Okay maybe GTA4 wasn't the best but the franchise itself still has a much better reputation than TR. It'd still sell better without any promotion.

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 13:33

GTA 5 is #1? Of course, it'll be an awesome game. Rockstar never disappoints, compared to other developers *coughcough* :D

Edit: I voted for The Last of Us by the way

Lukass 07-01-13 13:52

Voted.

TR won't win it though. GTA will... :-//

Bomb Fighter 07-01-13 13:54

Voted for TR of course. If otherwise, karma would get me...:pi:
Kinda sad seeing DmC so low tho

Rai 07-01-13 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukass (Post 6593495)
Voted.

TR won't win it though. GTA will... :-//

Goes without saying. Better to be second to something that popular though, than nothing at all.

Lukass 07-01-13 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai (Post 6593498)
Goes without saying. Better to be second to something that popular though, than nothing at all.

You're right, girl :D

klona 07-01-13 14:16

OMG.
The Last of Us is trying to catch up!
KILL IT.

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by klona (Post 6593528)
OMG.
The Last of Us is trying to catch up!
KILL IT.

The Last of Us is the better game :pi: imo

Linoshi Croft 07-01-13 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593533)
The Last of Us is the better movie :pi: imo

I agree.

tomee 07-01-13 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593536)
I agree.

I see what you did there! :vlol:

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593536)
I agree.

If you put The Last of Us into the movie category, then Tomb Raider belongs right next to it with its cinematic QTE cutcene gameplay. ;)

Stevo505 07-01-13 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593533)
The Last of Us is the better game :pi: imo

I didn't know you played it already. :p

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo505 (Post 6593544)
I didn't know you played it already. :p

I didnt, but I played Tomb Raider already :p Just because Tomb Raider is a damn good game, that doesnt mean it has to be the best game of 2013. At least for me, its not :D Because I am way more excited for The Last of Us.

Stevo505 07-01-13 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593546)
I didnt, but I played Tomb Raider already :p Just because Tomb Raider is a damn good game, that doesnt mean it has to be the best game of 2013. At least for me, its not :D

Touché. They'll both be fantastic, no doubt.

LarasFan 07-01-13 14:29

TLoU in my opinion has better AI and graphics (just cause it's a exclusive title). Other than that the story, of what I've seen so far, TR owns it by far. But I'm still getting both!

Linoshi Croft 07-01-13 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593543)
If you put The Last of Us into the movie category, then Tomb Raider belongs right next to it with its cinematic QTE cutcene gameplay. ;)

No, not really.

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593552)
No, not really.

The Last of Us -> Cinematic 3rd Person Action Adventure ----> "Movie in your Opinion"
Tomb Raider -> Cinematic 3rd Person Action Adventure ----> "Game in your Opinion".

Well, whatever you think about The Last of Us in MY opinion its still the better Game ;)

I am Not saying Tomb Raider is bad, by the way. Its just not my most anticipated title this year. There are The Last of Us, Beyond (which would be closer to a movie than TLoU) and GTA V on my radar too. Tomb Raider is somewhere among them, I guess

Linoshi Croft 07-01-13 14:53

Wow, they have one similar element of course we must categorize them them same. :p
Extremely silly.

The Last of Us is much more cinematic, simple and linear than Tombraider. Tombraider has a lot more doing, than watching. :p Alot more interactivity..

I've not seen anything from the Last of Us that doesn't make me just see Enslaved (A main guy working on the game even worked on Enslaved) re-hashed in a closer time to our own, more dull with guns. :p OH and with an even more simplified "game play" style and even more cinematic.

lcroft_lc 07-01-13 14:57

TBQH, judging by trailers, screenshots and information, there's nothing interesting in The Last of Us. Beyond: Two Souls is more interesting.

TippingWater 07-01-13 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcroft_lc (Post 6593607)
TBQH, judging by trailers, screenshots and information, there's nothing interesting in The Last of Us. Beyond: Two Souls is more interesting.

I agree! :tmb:

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593596)
The Last of Us is much more cinematic, simple and linear than Tombraider. Tombraider has a lot more doing, than watching. :p Alot more interactivity..

Running from point A to point B, picking up some arrows and smashing some boxes on the way is more interactivity? And especially "simple". How can a game become simpler than Tomb Raider with all the pop-ups, Eagle Visio--- eh Survival Instinct and "I need to get that bow." "I NEED to get that bow NOW" "I think I need that bow" voices going on.

Even though TLoU does not have stuff like basecamps etc I would not consider it a movie. Its as cinematic as Uncharted (probably because its both developed by Naughty Dog) which is also nothing like a movie.

Stuff like Heavy Rain, Max Payne 3 or The Walking Dead or Beyond are movies. TLoU is far from that imo ;)

It all depends on someones Point of View, and in my PoV its no movie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593596)
Wow, they have one similar element of course we must categorize them them same.
Extremely silly.

Its called, a genre. And games are categorized into genres because of similar elements. Yup - damn silly. :p

Linoshi Croft 07-01-13 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593616)
Running from point A to point B, picking up some arrows and smashing some boxes on the way is more interactivity? And especially "simple". How can a game become simpler than Tomb Raider with all the pop-ups, Eagle Visio--- eh Survival Instinct and "I need to get that bow." "I NEED to get that bow NOW" "I think I need that bow" voices going on.

Even though TLoU does not have stuff like basecamps etc I would not consider it a movie. Its as cinematic as Uncharted (probably because its both developed by Naughty Dog) which is also nothing like a movie.

Stuff like Heavy Rain, Max Payne 3 or The Walking Dead or Beyond are movies. TLoU is far from that imo ;)

It all depends on someones Point of View, and in my PoV its no movie.



Its called, a genre. And games are categorized into genres because of similar elements. Yup - damn silly. :p

It's basically a movie imo.

And no, it's not a genre. :p

...

Action Adventure is a genre yes, but it's also very ambiguous! There are many games that are considered action adventure and are completely different. :p So, my point stands...they both are cinematic and in the 3rd person...doesn't necessarily make them similar. Plus, we were on about them being movies...their genre has not much to do with that. How they are executed is.

HAHA LOOOL XD 07-01-13 15:08

Wohoooo TR at 16% votes. I had nothing to do with it :whi:

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593618)
It's basically a movie imo.

Was it that hard? I respect your opinion, sir :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593618)
And no, it's not a genre. :p

...

Action Adventure is a genre yes, but it's also very ambiguous! There are many games that are considered action adventure and are completely different. :p So, my point stands...they both are cinematic and in the 3rd person...doesn't necessarily make them similar. Plus, we were on about them being movies...their genre has not much to do with that. How they are executed is.

And imo Tomb Raider is as close to being a movie as TLoU is.

SpyrosMonster 07-01-13 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593616)
Running from point A to point B, picking up some arrows and smashing some boxes on the way is more interactivity? And especially "simple". How can a game become simpler than Tomb Raider with all the pop-ups, Eagle Visio--- eh Survival Instinct and "I need to get that bow." "I NEED to get that bow NOW" "I think I need that bow" voices going on.

Even though TLoU does not have stuff like basecamps etc I would not consider it a movie. Its as cinematic as Uncharted (probably because its both developed by Naughty Dog) which is also nothing like a movie.

Stuff like Heavy Rain, Max Payne 3 or The Walking Dead or Beyond are movies. TLoU is far from that imo ;)

It all depends on someones Point of View, and in my PoV its no movie.



Its called, a genre. And games are categorized into genres because of similar elements. Yup - damn silly. :p

Don't compare TR to The last of us.
Tomb Raider is a semi-open world game... That says much.
The Last of us is just Uncharted with different Story and Characters tbh..

Linoshi Croft 07-01-13 15:13

Read the edit...

Genre has little to do with it being like a movie, which we were discussing. End of discussion frankly. :p I could give many examples of where cinematic gameplay is found outside the AA genre.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593625)
Was it that hard? I respect your opinion, sir :p



And imo Tomb Raider is as close to being a movie as TLoU is.

I think you find it harder than me. ;D

And like I said above genre means ****. Which was your main argument which you are now chosing to drop, assuming I've made a good point.

Carbonek_0051 07-01-13 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster (Post 6593290)
I don't get it! Why do you people even comment that voted another game?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo505 (Post 6593311)
I've always wondered this as well. I guess it's to stir the pot.

Because we can? Oh I forgot this is the TR section full of Nazis who get upset if you don't blow TR.

Forr the recored I am more than pumped for TR but am more pumped for DmC. :wve:

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593630)
Genre has little to do with it being like a movie, which we were discussing. End of discussion frankly. :p I could give many examples of where cinematic gameplay is found outside the AA genre.

We weren't even discussing how much impact a genre has on cinematic gameplay *facepalm* I brought up that they are both cinematic 3rd person action adventures. Which is correct, you then stated how silly I am by putting those 2 games together in a category.
THEN I started talking about genres - They were never my main argument or something. I just tried to defend myself against your

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593596)
Wow, they have one similar element of course we must categorize them them same. :p
Extremely silly.

Because thats what genres are there for. And they are not extremly silly.

But you stated your self that Cinematic 3rd person action adventure is no genre so whats the matter with you continuing to talk about them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593596)
And like I said above genre means ****. Which was your main argument which you are now chosing to drop, assuming I've made a good point.

I thought the things I brought up (cinematic 3rd person action adventure) are no genres? :p --->

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593618)
And no, it's not a genre. :p

...

Action Adventure is a genre.


Evan C. 07-01-13 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonek_0051 (Post 6593660)
Because we can? Oh I forgot this is the TR section full of Nazis who get upset if yoy don't blow TR.

Forr the recored I am more than pumped for TR but am more pumped for DmC. :wve:

Ouch.

SpyrosMonster 07-01-13 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonek_0051 (Post 6593660)
Because we can? Oh I forgot this is the TR section full of Nazis who get upset if yoy don't blow TR.

Forr the recored I am more than pumped for TR but am more pumped for DmC. :wve:

Nazi? Please... I asked a simple question.
If you can't understand what other people say or how they say something you shouldn't respond unless you are sure. :wve:

Carbonek_0051 07-01-13 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan C. (Post 6593662)
Ouch.

It's true. There are members here who will put you on a stake and burn you if they think you are against TR.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster (Post 6593667)
Nazi? Please... I asked a simple question.
If you can't understand what other people say or how they say something you shouldn't respond unless you are sure. :wve:

Take your own advice, smart guy.

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan C. (Post 6593662)
Ouch.

kinda true though.
Look:


Tomb Raider is not the best game in 2013.


(and now just wait for 'them')

Evan C. 07-01-13 15:34

But there's a big difference between being a moron and a nazi.

SpyrosMonster 07-01-13 15:34

I don't even care about the awards.
I just asked a simple question but is seems that here you can't ask or tell anything without being called names or being criticized... lol whatevs...

LNSNHGTDS 07-01-13 15:35

I can't believe I lost a fight! You guys should leave a reminder 1 minute prior to the beginning of the fight.

SpyrosMonster 07-01-13 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS (Post 6593681)
I can't believe I lost a fight! You guys should leave a reminder 1 minute prior to the beginning of the fight.

What? Nobody is fighting... :confused:

Linoshi Croft 07-01-13 15:36

@Dark_Messiah

The whole discussion was over the games being more of a movie than a game...you instantly saying...They are both 3RD Person Cinematic AA games. That was your argument about them being just as much as movies as eachother.

I was saying it's silly as that is not enough to say it is more like a movie, as I said how the game is executed is what's important. I don't know what you think we were talking about but spanning from my original point this was all about them being movie like nothing else.

You seem to think that just because a game is cinematic means it more like a movie, yes that is also important. However, breaking down TR and TLOU their execution both makes them different and either more movie like or not which I believe the TLOU is very movie like.

For example, take platforming for example.

TLOU (From what I've seen)

-Walking around, few linear paths leading in the same way. Pressing one button to get up and pull yourself up the item.

Literally all I've seen in that game.

Tombraider

-Scramble.
-Normal ledge hop and climb, single button like the TLOU.
-Pick Axe. X to interact with, A to jump including X again to reattach.
-Being able to direct Lara within the air.
-Use ropes to platform further (with the bow)

There's probably other things I've missed but that's my point. They are both cinematic and heavily story based but in boths gameplay TLOU is always very simplified.

Even in combat which the TLOU seems more about is simplified. Enviroments are more linear to...meaning less interaction with the world. Puzzles...simplifed and none existent and more just about finding a way up to places or handling enemies (which TR does to though TR has many more interation of puzzles)

The game lacks substance and depth, and seems more movie like based on everything I've seen. Why? explained above.

Evan C. 07-01-13 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS (Post 6593681)
I can't believe I lost a fight! You guys should leave a reminder 1 minute prior to the beginning of the fight.

:vlol:

Wanna fight? SOMEONE BRING MY BODY OIL

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS (Post 6593681)
I can't believe I lost a fight! You guys should leave a reminder 1 minute prior to the beginning of the fight.

There are fights here every day, hard to miss :o Or at least, heavy discussions :p

LNSNHGTDS 07-01-13 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster (Post 6593684)
What? Nobody is fighting... :confused:

Well it wasn't exactly a fight, but the whole "being called names" thing and the heated conversation fall under the "Fighting" category in my mind, lol :p . My post wasn't meant to be serious, of course, it's just that I like to see a funny side in... well... nearly EVERYTHING :p .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan C. (Post 6593686)
:vlol:

Wanna fight? SOMEONE BRING MY BODY OIL

:vlol:

You pick a place to fight, I'll bring a cheering mob ;) .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593687)
There are fights here every day, hard to miss :o Or at least, heavy discussions :p

Yes, this place is rather... intresting xD .


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:32.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Tomb Raider Forums is not owned or operated by CDE Entertainment Ltd.
Lara Croft and Tomb Raider are trademarks of CDE Entertainment Ltd.