www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1995 Tech Demo! (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=226035)

Guy N. Cognito 02-05-21 00:50

1995 Tech Demo!

Download and further informations

Thanks to Raidercast (footage), Tomb of Ash (download) and Gh0stblase (making it playable).

ANoDE 02-05-21 07:47

*drops jaw*

That's amazing! I mean, look at it!

Thank you so much for sharing - and thanks to everyone involved for bringing it to us :jmp:

-- Edit: Just played it. Wow, it has free camera controls and working dual-aim - I'm impressed! And the braid! Wonderful :)

A few things I noticed:
* Lara can't move backwards (or I'm too stupid :D)
* Lara automatically jumps forward, when you press the jump button - she will also build up momentum before she jumps
* The walk key doesn't prevent you from falling down - it does seem to prevent you from dying from a high fall, though
* There is no handstand-vault move
* Lara will still draw her weapons even if she's dead :vlol:

This is a gem. I love it.

Zsott 02-05-21 08:17

Wow. Just wow.
This is an actual relic! I know there's not much to do, but I got excited, when I realized I saw some of the rooms in videos.
Anyway, thank you for everyone involved in this!

@Anode
I noticed the automatic jump function, I do wonder though, if my mind tricked me or not, but I think she jumps bigger (not farther) when you hold the arrow key. Could you check that out?

Caesum 02-05-21 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANoDE (Post 8295933)
There is no handstand-vault move

Handstand was a pretty late addition actually. It's not even in the release Saturn version (that or I was unable to perform it).

Chamayoo 02-05-21 09:05

Incredible !! Can't wait to see videos or playing it myself !

ANoDE 02-05-21 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caesum (Post 8295940)
Handstand was a pretty late addition actually. It's not even in the release Saturn version (that or I was unable to perform it).

Interesting, thanks :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zsott (Post 8295938)
@Anode
I noticed the automatic jump function, I do wonder though, if my mind tricked me or not, but I think she jumps bigger (not farther) when you hold the arrow key. Could you check that out?

I just did a frame-by-frame comparison, but could not find any differences :confused:
Here's my source videos - first jump is always the one without the arrow, second one has the forward key pressed.

UroshUchiha 02-05-21 10:06

Wow I just woke up to this news. What a good way to start a Sunday.

Brendanlovesu1 02-05-21 10:22

Incredible

Thank you Raidercast, Tomb of Ash and Gh0stblade!! we are not worthy

CircusBabysGal 02-05-21 10:55

Played it myself a few hours ago and I'm really into it! We went so far in just a year, thank god the controls have been remade, the jumping mechanic is the worst! But I can't help but notice that the Tech Demo's control kinda share similarities to TRAE... Like when Lara jumps she immediately does a hard land and you cant run and jump like you'd do in the classics to quickly move, which is also in TRAE. :ponder:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caesum (Post 8295940)

Actually, it is! Though it can't be activated for some reasons, if you drag the Saturn files into OpenLara you can perform the Handstand and her animation is even slightly different where at the end she tumbles to the side a little before balancing herself!
XProger has a video of it on his Twitter!

Boobandie 02-05-21 10:57

The move in TRAE is because it was like that in Free Running (the game engine and animations that TRAE used as a base).

This is such a treasure to play. I ran around the whole area though and didn't spot any snakes, while there is an entity labelled SNAKE one in the game files.

Anyone able to open those files and take a look?