www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   The Angel of Darkness (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Lara's personality and attitude (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223510)

Tomb Raidering 12-10-19 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverin (Post 8138219)
I don't think she behaved like a b*tch to be honest. She just didn't have any time or desire to fool around. She's being chased nonstop. And as far as I know she only acts cruel to those of whom she knows they're scum anyway.

She's friendly towards Janice for example, a little further in the conversation.

Youíre right actually. She wasnít taking it to the extremes, she was actually quite nice to people (Janice [later on], Pierre [at the start :p], the herbalist, Mlle. Carvier, Kurtis [at the Louvre, I donít approve :p], Francine)

Joey79100 12-10-19 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimaldi (Post 8138213)
or why she wrongly accuses Von Croy of leaving her behind, or why his death even bothers her that much when she hardly liked him. I know there was supposed to be an element of the tribe that rescued her being slaughtered, but thatís just not in the game.

That's because they originally meant to put Jean-Yves there, which actually was Lara's friend and got away without searching for her. And, he's French, hence Paris. But after the legal issues with him, they thought Von Croy was the most fitting replacement (they couldn't rewrite TR4).
They could have altered Jean-Yves' looks, called him just Jean or just Yves or something, people would still have put the dots together, and there might not have been any legal issue, it would have made more sense than Von Croy.

Grimaldi 12-10-19 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverin (Post 8138219)
I don't think she behaved like a b*tch to be honest. She just didn't have any time or desire to fool around. She's being chased nonstop.

While being rude is mostly an option, she still can find the time to be rude to the likes of Carvier, the homeless guy, Janice, the guy at the boxing ring (ďam I talking too fast for you?Ē), etc. while being chased. Whether itís almost boasting she couldíve killed Von Croy if she wanted to (really proving your innocence there...), talking down to Janice, or baiting the homeless with the implication of spare change...AoD Lara can look really petty. Itís a far cry from the composure she held in the original games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey79100
That's because they originally meant to put Jean-Yves there, which actually was Lara's friend and got away without searching for her. And, he's French, hence Paris. But after the legal issues with him, they thought Von Croy was the most fitting replacement (they couldn't rewrite TR4).
They could have altered Jean-Yves' looks, called him just Jean or just Yves or something, people would still have put the dots together, and there might not have been any legal issue, it would have made more sense than Von Croy.

I donít think Iíd ever heard this before, but it explains a lot. I still donít think Laraís bitter reaction is justified, she never needed or depended on people to save/come back for her before, but Jean is the better option. I donít know why they didnít try a work around like you suggested for it to still work instead of just picking Von Croy. Heís the last character Iíd care about being murdered.

Samz 12-10-19 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimaldi (Post 8138213)
Valid to the AoD interpretation of her character, yes, but as an unpopular opinion, I think sheís out of character regardless. Laraís temperament was cool and calculated, she hardly ever resorted to biting comments - quite the contrary, one of her first lines was flirty. She could be impressionable, even if it was just to get what she wanted.

While I appreciate there are reasons for her personality change, some didnít make it into the game and the ones that are there donít make much sense. The plane crash when she barely started her career didnít transform her into a condescending, cynical person so I donít understand why a cave-in would, or why she wrongly accuses Von Croy of leaving her behind, or why his death even bothers her that much when she hardly liked him. I know there was supposed to be an element of the tribe that rescued her being slaughtered, but thatís just not in the game.

So, I disagree.

I presume a cave-in is alot worse than being stranded, you'd probably feel completely useless in a cave-in while when you're stranded you can at least try to do things to help you survive.

Considering how she acts a bit afterwards (I admit this is a bit of a fan-theory thing) I think maybe she herself regrets it afterwards.

Grimaldi 13-10-19 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samz (Post 8138270)
I presume a cave-in is alot worse than being stranded, you'd probably feel completely useless in a cave-in while when you're stranded you can at least try to do things to help you survive.

Itís more the fact that, by the Last Revelation, Laraís career had largely consisted of crumbling caves and tombs. Thereís no indication from anything in the games that the one in Egypt was particularly rough, though I know thatís where the amulet and tribe wouldíve come in. Comparatively, the plane crash happened when she had no experience, until TR4/5 retconned in her teenage adventures, and yet that was the making of her.

I suppose thatís what AoD itself was meant to be, the real event that ďmadeĒ Lara again and the cave-in was just the catalyst, but I donít feel thatís implemented well either. She doesnít feel very different by the end of the game, nothing about her behaviour was unpacked or acknowledged. I suppose Iíll never know if it wouldíve succeeded and won me around because it was never finished.

TRExpertgamer 16-10-19 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 8136400)
All of the AOD dialogue options are valid parts and expressions of Lara's character, that's the argument.

Agree? Disagree?

I certainly do agree very much on that. :cool:

https://youtu.be/J5mGm_AybL8

https://youtu.be/lFckSUKnA6A

https://youtu.be/A3BbY3nLjDA

dg1995 16-10-19 14:11

In my opinion one problem of AOD storyline is this that people that haven't played Last Revelation have no idea why Lara is angry at Werner.(And why she is "rusty".)

Even though Core Design had to remove that cutscene with Shaman they could make some low budget 2D cutscene explaining Last Revelations events for the newcomers.

TRExpertgamer 16-10-19 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by dg1995 (Post 8140345)
In my opinion one problem of AOD storyline is this that people that haven't played Last Revelation have no idea why Lara is angry at Werner.(And why she is "rusty".)

Even though Core Design had to remove that cutscene with Shaman they could make some low budget 2D cutscene explaining Last Revelations events for the newcomers.

I understand exactly what you're saying. But other than that, I very much do appreciate the fact that they've insisted to develop 3D scenes instead. I feel so sorry for Core Design that never had enough time to finish what ever else was supposed to be added into the final version of TR6AOD. I especially don't even feel so pity from what Eidos have done to the Tomb Raider franchise from what they were.

Tomb Raidering 16-10-19 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRExpertgamer (Post 8140358)
I understand exactly what you're saying. But other than that, I very much do appreciate the fact that they've insisted to develop 3D scenes instead. I feel so sorry for Core Design that never had enough time to finish what ever else was supposed to be added into the final version of TR6AOD. I especially don't even feel so pity from what Eidos have done to the Tomb Raider franchise from what they were.

What dg1995 meant was that they could have at least include some references to The Last Revelation, be it 2D or 3D. New players most likely got confused as to why the iconic Lara Croft was on the run as a fugitive, emotional/angry, and weak/rusty...

UroshUchiha 16-10-19 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering (Post 8140364)
What dg1995 meant was that they could have at least include some references to The Last Revelation, be it 2D or 3D. New players most likely got confused as to why the iconic Lara Croft was on the run as a fugitive, emotional/angry, and weak/rusty...

So much for "I understand exactly what you're saying." :D


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.