www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider II (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New patch, texture modding tool and mod manager for TR II (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=208815)

ajrich17901 26-01-15 12:46

Can someone possibly make a video on how to replace textures with the new ones, step by step? Tried it myself and it was a disaster xD was like playing TR2 on acid lmao

The Great Chi 26-01-15 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajrich17901 (Post 7268242)
Can someone possibly make a video on how to replace textures with the new ones, step by step? Tried it myself and it was a disaster xD was like playing TR2 on acid lmao

One of the problems is that when you use Spliter5, is that the textures are all over the place or cut in two, for example in the yellow box below, so it makes it difficult to change the textures.

Also and this is my own problem, is that I have a lot off difficulties with DDS layered format, and always end up with some textures pure white :hea:

Pity its not in BMP or JPEG format.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ps64b1be73.jpg

TRJTA 26-01-15 16:17

Some more progress on Croft Manor
 
http://i.imgur.com/Y36yRp2l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8YLqaZ8l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qCzSB66l.jpg

The Great Chi 26-01-15 16:26

Glad, someone has got it working correctly :D

Peixoto 26-01-15 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Chi (Post 7268317)
One of the problems is that when you use Spliter5, is that the textures are all over the place or cut in two, for example in the yellow box below, so it makes it difficult to change the textures.

Also and this is my own problem, is that I have a lot off difficulties with DDS layered format, and always end up with some textures pure white :hea:

Pity its not in BMP or JPEG format.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ps64b1be73.jpg

Well, about the spliter, you should only use it in a texture you want to use as the title screen, you don't need to use for any other texture in the game...

the dds files are the fastest way to dump or load textures because they store data the same way DirectX textures do. They also should be simple plain textures with only one "layer"

Kirishima 26-01-15 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peixoto (Post 7267997)
Put the game in compatibility mode with win7

I already tried that, still didn't work.

Peixoto 27-01-15 03:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirishima (Post 7268629)
I already tried that, still didn't work.

I'm working on replacecing the FMVs, so we can use the playstation version ones

when i release this update, i'll include a more informative error.log

TombRaiderTim 30-01-15 01:52

This is really interesting for me as we never had the chance to make TR2 HQ like we did with Glidos for TR1, it's a shame the textures in the png format are not available to download now as the ones provided for the Tomb2 Fix are a little messy since the format changed after.

Peixoto 01-02-15 01:15

So my friends, the code to play bink videos is almost ready but my computer is not working well, anyone willing to reencode the PSX videos?

Lwmte 01-02-15 06:46

This is so cool! So finally we'll get rid of interlaced PC videos? :jmp:

I can convert PSX videos, but I need to know which resolution do you need. I can try to upscale PSX videos (which were 320x160, if I remember correctly), remove artifacts and add some grain with After Effects, so they at least will look a bit more crisp than original ones.

Also it seems that all FMVs except intro were rendered at 15 FPS. I can try to fix that with Twixtor, so videos will be at 30 FPS, as intro movie.

Edit: Here is the preview of what can be done (original video is top, remastered is bottom), better look in 1080p to see the diffrence.

Dustie 01-02-15 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lwmte (Post 7272020)
This is so cool! So finally we'll get rid of interlaced PC videos? :jmp:

I can convert PSX videos, but I need to know which resolution do you need. I can try to upscale PSX videos (which were 320x160, if I remember correctly), remove artifacts and add some grain with After Effects, so they at least will look a bit more crisp than original ones.

Also it seems that all FMVs except intro were rendered at 15 FPS. I can try to fix that with Twixtor, so videos will be at 30 FPS, as intro movie.

Edit: Here is the preview of what can be done (original video is top, remastered is bottom), better look in 1080p to see the diffrence.

Whoa, this is looking fantastic! :) The fluid animation looks killer!

Lwmte 01-02-15 16:37

Yes, this Twixtor plug-in surely does miracles! However, sometimes I need to set guide keyframes for it, as original FMVs are too small to track them properly...

Also, I decided to fix very old and known mistake in Offshore Rig FMV... You know what I'm talking about, right? ;)

Peixoto 01-02-15 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lwmte (Post 7272020)
This is so cool! So finally we'll get rid of interlaced PC videos? :jmp:

I can convert PSX videos, but I need to know which resolution do you need. I can try to upscale PSX videos (which were 320x160, if I remember correctly), remove artifacts and add some grain with After Effects, so they at least will look a bit more crisp than original ones.

Also it seems that all FMVs except intro were rendered at 15 FPS. I can try to fix that with Twixtor, so videos will be at 30 FPS, as intro movie.

Edit: Here is the preview of what can be done (original video is top, remastered is bottom), better look in 1080p to see the diffrence.

Any resolution will do as long as they are bink format: to be sure it would be better to convert just one video 1st so i can test it

Lwmte 01-02-15 17:27

Ok, here is the test for you! I have converted it to 720x380, but if you need, I can upscale it to 1280x720... Not sure if any higher resolution make any difference, since original is only 320x160 :D

Peixoto 01-02-15 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lwmte (Post 7272306)
Ok, here is the test for you! I have converted it to 720x380, but if you need, I can upscale it to 1280x720... Not sure if any higher resolution make any difference, since original is only 320x160 :D

Did you cancel the encoding halfway through then selected "keep the frames already done" ? because the binkw32.dll fails to read files created like this

the file didn't work

Lwmte 01-02-15 19:08

No, I didn't cancel encoding, probably file was still uploading while you tried to download it - I posted a link too early! :D

You can try re-downloading previous file (its size should be about 19 megabytes) or try this new one.

By the way, let me tease you with remastered Landing FMV! I have rendered it at 720p, but can't see much difference from 480p version, so most likely I'll just downsize it back to 480p before converting to Bink!


Edit: I have noticed that iOS version have non-interlaced FMVs without compression artifacts like in PSX version, so most likely Realtech VR are in posession of original uncompressed FMVs or they made RPL decoder out from TR2 sources and then deinterlaced video - either, maybe it's better to rip FMVs out of iOS version and then upscale and frame-blend them.

hannon13 01-02-15 23:46

I get this problem running Tomb2Fix.exe

http://i.imgur.com/NQ7rkEd.jpg

Peixoto 02-02-15 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by hannon13 (Post 7272543)
I get this problem running Tomb2Fix.exe

You have installed it wrong, copy the whole folder tomb2fix to the game directory, no only the files in that folder

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lwmte (Post 7272358)
No, I didn't cancel encoding, probably file was still uploading while you tried to download it - I posted a link too early! :D

You can try re-downloading previous file (its size should be about 19 megabytes) or try this new one.

By the way, let me tease you with remastered Landing FMV! I have rendered it at 720p, but can't see much difference from 480p version, so most likely I'll just downsize it back to 480p before converting to Bink!

Edit: I have noticed that iOS version have non-interlaced FMVs without compression artifacts like in PSX version, so most likely Realtech VR are in posession of original uncompressed FMVs or they made RPL decoder out from TR2 sources and then deinterlaced video - either, maybe it's better to rip FMVs out of iOS version and then upscale and frame-blend them.

The problem was on my side, it working alright now... i'll upload the update soon... any resolution\aspect ratio will work and in my opinion it was very nice to crop letter-boxing bars

I don't see any gain in increasing the resolution... we only loose sharpness...
(and there will be a option to play the movies without upscaling: small but sharp)

but since the original size it too small, it wouldn't hurt to double it (exactly and without filtering so we don't loose sharpness) unless of course, the IOS version is already 640x480...

a personally don't really the frame blending that much since it blurs the movie...

anyway, encode it however you like, i'll be alright with it :tmb:

hannon13 02-02-15 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peixoto (Post 7272702)
You have installed it wrong, copy the whole folder tomb2fix to the game directory, no only the files in that folder

The program installed just in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Core Design\Tomb Raider II" but program shows "C:\Program Files (x86)\Core Design" :(

Peixoto 02-02-15 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by hannon13 (Post 7272802)
The program installed just in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Core Design\Tomb Raider II" but program shows "C:\Program Files (x86)\Core Design" :(

Because it searches the game in it's parent folder:
the game is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Core Design\Tomb Raider II
so the patch must go in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Core Design\Tomb Raider II\Tomb2fix

but you putted it directly in C:\Program Files (x86)\Core Design\Tomb Raider II

Peixoto 03-02-15 04:44

The bink video update is online

Lwmte 03-02-15 07:05

Great! :tmb: I have only MS.AVI and JEEP.AVI to convert - then I'll upload whole Bink package... somewhere! :D

noname 03-02-15 17:31

This is very nice, thank you! While you're at it, do you think it's possible to increase the number of save slots?

Peixoto 03-02-15 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by noname (Post 7273590)
This is very nice, thank you! While you're at it, do you think it's possible to increase the number of save slots?

Create one o more folders for your saves in the mods folder, then paste the saves you already have in those folders (all of them, each folder must have the 16 saves the game allows). Use the mod manager (see help.exe) to select which set you wanna use. Each time you save, only the saves in the set you've chosen will be modified.

Of course, you will only have access to one set at each game session.

Can it be done in a simple and more efficient way? Perhaps, but the more complex it gets the bigger the chance for bugs

Lwmte 05-02-15 17:05

Finally: here are Bink remastered FMVs! :jmp:

1. Title Eidos/Core logo
2. Ancient intro
3. Modern intro
4. Landing
5. MS
6. Crash
7. Jeep
8. End

To use them, download and install latest Peixoto tool, then download and move all the .BIK video files into /FMV subdirectory of your TR2 installation. WARNING: Don't delete old .RPL files! For some reason, new Bink videos won't play if there are no old RPL movies in the folder.

P.S.: I decided do downscale videos back to 720x405, because 1280x720 videos are WAY too large to upload, about 1 gigabyte, which is larger than whole TR2 CD image! :D Re-rendered 1280x720 videos will be available on Youtube a bit later.

Kirishima 05-02-15 21:33

The movies didn't work for me either.

Contents of error log when trying to use the new videos:

Failed to create the IDirect3DDevice Interface 2147942487 - D3DERR_INVALIDPARAMS
Succeeded to create the IDirectDrawSurface interface

Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::QueryInterface
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture2::GetHandle
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture2::Release

Dustie 06-02-15 16:11

Looks like they could be too big for DirectX 5 (?) to handle?

Peixoto 06-02-15 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirishima (Post 7277096)
The movies didn't work for me either.

Contents of error log when trying to use the new videos:

Failed to create the IDirect3DDevice Interface 2147942487 - D3DERR_INVALIDPARAMS
Succeeded to create the IDirectDrawSurface interface

Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::QueryInterface
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture2::GetHandle
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture2::Release

Failed to create the IDirect3DDevice Interface 2147942487 - D3DERR_INVALIDPARAMS

This explains why texture replacements don't work. I will include a workaround for windows 8 it in the next update

as for the movies, i was careless not to include error checking for that, i'll also include it in the next update
do they original still play?

Kirishima 06-02-15 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peixoto (Post 7278002)
Failed to create the IDirect3DDevice Interface 2147942487 - D3DERR_INVALIDPARAMS

This explains why texture replacements don't work. I will include a workaround for windows 8 it in the next update that will also add pixelshaders

as for the movies, i was careless not to include error checking for that, i'll also include it in the next update
do they original still play?

Yeah, the original ones will still play if the bik files are removed.

AODfan 07-02-15 09:47

Great job at upscaling the FMVs :tmb:
However I'm not a fan of the increased framerate. It looks really awkward during fast movement I think :o

Zavi 07-02-15 15:06

It is the same speed ~ the frames are blended together

AODfan 07-02-15 19:53

I know they're the same speed but the blended frames just look awful during fast movement :o

noname 10-02-15 20:46

Can you make a version of this for TR2 Gold?

Peixoto 11-02-15 02:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by noname (Post 7282094)
Can you make a version of this for TR2 Gold?

Create a folder named gold (or whatever you want) inside the directory Tomb2Fix\Mods then copy the folder data from your installation of tomb raider gold to Tomb2Fix\Mods\Gold. It's better also to copy all your saves so gold won't overwrite the main game's saves

Read the section 'managing mods' in the the help program (help.exe)

sackboy123 11-02-15 08:01

Does this mean TR2 custom levels are compatible as well :confused:

Peixoto 11-02-15 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by sackboy123 (Post 7282413)
Does this mean TR2 custom levels are compatible as well :confused:

If they run with tomb2.exe, yes!

VictorXD 11-02-15 14:49

I had been working on completing all levels in HD using the iOS tex and some I found on TRsearch but I ran into some problems. First it is because I was doing some things wrong I admit, but then when I was getting everything working correctly, the textures won't get replaced. Some apparently do since Lara got some parts of her to get black but that is it. After that the game stopped working. As in, everytime I start the Tomb2fix it runs normally for 5 min then it crashes. Oh well. :/

Amazing work on this tool none the less, really useful and not complicated at all:tmb: I would be absolutaly delighted if you made similar ones to TR3-5 too :D

Peixoto 11-02-15 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorXD (Post 7282563)
I had been working on completing all levels in HD using the iOS tex and some I found on TRsearch but I ran into some problems. First it is because I was doing some things wrong I admit, but then when I was getting everything working correctly, the textures won't get replaced. Some apparently do since Lara got some parts of her to get black but that is it. After that the game stopped working. As in, everytime I start the Tomb2fix it runs normally for 5 min then it crashes. Oh well. :/

Amazing work on this tool none the less, really useful and not complicated at all:tmb: I would be absolutaly delighted if you made similar ones to TR3-5 too :D

Try to start with the texture swapping disabled (change it on tomb2fix.ini) load a level than enabled it by pressing insert... this fixed some crashes for me but. There might be some crashes that can't be fixed: with the IOs textures the game crashes for me on the Xian levels even though there are no replacements on those levels

As for some textures not been replaced, check if you didn't had a compiled dump, added new textures and forgot to recompile everything... this happened with me while testing... of course, there might be bugs: when you make the textures available i can try to fix them

there will be similar patches for TR3-5 and depending if a can get the things i want to work: TRI and AOD

VictorXD 11-02-15 15:21

Awesome!:D

And yes, I had been starting the game with text swapping disabled method.
And really? So, do I have to recompile everything again each time I want to see how the textures look in game? Cuz I had tried that one time and everything got REALLY messed up, like text textures all over the walls etc. Now that I think about it, it might be the solution. I dunno, but I'll deffo give it a try.

AODfan 11-02-15 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peixoto (Post 7282333)
Create a folder named gold (or whatever you want) inside the directory Tomb2Fix\Mods then copy the folder data from your installation of tomb raider gold to Tomb2Fix\Mods\Gold. It's better also to copy all your saves so gold won't overwrite the main game's saves

Read the section 'managing mods' in the the help program (help.exe)

The TR2gold engine is slightly different though. The wolves and bears will stop working correctly and I think the bonus level won't be accessible as intended. Those are minor issues but it would be great if TR2gold was supported as well :)

Anyway I started fixing the HD textures by adding already existing textures to level that didn't already have them and trying to add the new Font as well. However the font is a bit cut off, their placement is a bit inconsistent, and it's very time consuming as I have to move each letter to their correct position so I'm not sure if it's worth continuing :o

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...98/NewFont.jpg


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:08.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.