www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider II (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New patch, texture modding tool and mod manager for TR II (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=208815)

Peixoto 11-02-15 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorXD (Post 7282581)
Awesome!:D

And yes, I had been starting the game with text swapping disabled method.
And really? So, do I have to recompile everything again each time I want to see how the textures look in game? Cuz I had tried that one time and everything got REALLY messed up, like text textures all over the walls etc. Now that I think about it, it might be the solution. I dunno, but I'll deffo give it a try.

The best thing would be just compile when all is done.

I forgot to mention, another thing you may wanna try is to set the number of samples: it obeys the ini file for non compiled dumps:
[TextureSwap]
samples=4

for compiled dumps it is decided with the command line

VictorXD 15-02-15 02:12

WIP screens of Opera House. As some of you may know that only 3 -4 tops textures of this level were remade, so I am working on it, as I'm planning on doing all the levels to up until Tibet.

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...XD_photo/a.jpg
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y..._photo/aaa.jpg
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...D_photo/aa.jpg
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...D_photo/a2.jpg
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y..._photo/a22.png

This is a exauting process really!:p Making new textures althought not that hard is proving to be really time consuming.

Aside from this, the other first 3 levels are around 90% done too, excluding objects.

sackboy123 15-02-15 11:28

That's Impressive work :tmb:

Alex Fly 15-02-15 12:19

Beautiful work, Victor ! :tmb:

Dustie 15-02-15 15:42

Neat! Good work. Will you release the textures?

Also, the curtains texture seems to lack continuity... maybe you could fix it up a bit for a more seamless appearance?

VictorXD 15-02-15 18:22

Thanks for the support guys! :D

@Dustie: I will do that of course, but those curtains you are looking at are from TR2 :p I haven't edited them yet.

annl 16-02-15 00:49

These look great, bravo!

Would you mind me using these when you release them, I would love to use them in TR2 Remixed iOS and PC!

Please PM me with your response. Your textures, your choice.

Suikaze Raider 16-02-15 17:33

How you convert the images for be compatible with this new patch? I only saw a converted named "Splliter5" :confused: What program is necessary for do the *.DDS files for this converted? :confused: This converter needs the full title map, or the individual titles? :confused:

Best Regards :)

VictorXD 16-02-15 18:21

If you mean that you need a program to open the dds files then you could try paint.net. Free and pretty straight forward also it already come with .dds support and you can save the image with the correct setting (see help.exe).

Or if you mean the spliter tool, from what I understood you select an image you want for the title in full (the dimensions are speciafied in the help exec) and use it with spliter5, so you no longer need to keep cutting up and pasting selected parts of the image, you just overwrite your outputted images into the TR2 one. :)
Hope this helps.

Suikaze Raider 16-02-15 19:45

Thanks VictorXD :)

I tried do it, but I can't see the top-lelf thumbs :o

Quote:

- Start the game and now you can view the textures loaded in the scene in the top left corner of the screen. Use the left and right bracket keys to browse the textures. Press 'p' to dump the currently shown texture to disk. Textures will be dumped to:
I did those changes in my "Tomb2Fix.ini" file:

Quote:

[Main]
devmode=True
unlockalllevels=False
TexTure.Swap.Start.Enabled=True
scaleFMVs=True

[TextureSwap]
prev=z
next=x

dump=p
path=Tomb2Fix\Textures
preventFPSdrops=False
thumbnail=128
samples=4

Peixoto 16-02-15 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suikaze Raider (Post 7286991)
Thanks VictorXD :)

I tried do it, but I can't see the top-lelf thumbs :o

You running windowed? because you can only see the thumbs in fullscreen mode... what does error.log says?

you're using windows 8?

Suikaze Raider 16-02-15 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peixoto (Post 7287000)
You running windowed? because you can only see the thumbs in fullscreen mode... what does error.log says?

Yes... Now it works :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peixoto (Post 7287000)
you're using windows 8?

Nope, I use Windows Seven :)

annl 17-02-15 16:37

Is it possible to have the HD textures and have a custom Lara skin too?

Peixoto 18-02-15 03:31

The crashes related to adding new textures have been fixed

Just download the latest update

Peixoto 18-02-15 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by annl (Post 7287591)
Is it possible to have the HD textures and have a custom Lara skin too?

Yes, they can, but the textures will have to be dumped again

annl 18-02-15 10:45

Can you download my mod and do it for me? I don't know how, she uses TR1 skins.

Peixoto 18-02-15 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by annl (Post 7288154)
Can you download my mod and do it for me? I don't know how, she uses TR1 skins.

It's a lot of work because the at "runtime" the textures are "mixed" in mosaics containing textures for several objects, this is apparently done dynamically so your patch end up changing all the textures in the game...

what you could do use my patch to change the skins... you would have to do it for every level... but that also means that you can have different skins for each level

P.S.: for those interested, direct support for Tomb Raider 2 Gold in coming soon

annl 18-02-15 16:24

Could you PM me with the method? I would love to have your mod launcher working with my mod. My mod has the HD textures but they are the same resolution as the original textures. Actual ones will be much better.

Peixoto 18-02-15 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by annl (Post 7288267)
Could you PM me with the method? I would love to have your mod launcher working with my mod. My mod has the HD textures but they are the same resolution as the original textures. Actual ones will be much better.

the method is the same as for any other texture and is detailed in the documentation

annl 18-02-15 18:20

Here is the problem I am having, can you explain, I am strggling to understand what to do in help.exe.

http://s5.postimg.org/404vnm94n/Bugged_Level.jpg

Peixoto 19-02-15 18:45

Here's is a little tutorial on how to change textures:

i've started the game in devmode and here's is Lara in front of a very pixelated pinup drown in Bartoli's plane

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...19-98.png?dl=0

i've selected that texture and it's ready to be dumped: you can make the image on the left corner of the screen as big as you want changing a value in the ini file

after dumping that texture, it's in my dumps folder, and will remain there untouched

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...tuto1.png?dl=0

i will however copy that texture to the replacements folder:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...tuto2.png?dl=0

now i will change that texture in the replacements folder to this (you can see
the original in the left an the new texture in the right)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...tuto3.png?dl=0

when i restart the game, that's what i will have:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...44-76.png?dl=0

Peixoto 19-02-15 18:52

Now suppose that i've dumped the textures that make the title screen:

i'll end up with 5 textures

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...tuto4.png?dl=0

then i download a fine image from the internet but i will have cut it in 5 pieces with the right proportions to have my new title screen, that's what the splitter program is for: with it i can take this image:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...ft-d2z7fvr.png

and turn it into this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...tuto5.png?dl=0

annl 19-02-15 18:54

so if my level textures are in different positions, how do I keep Lara's model and textures the same and change the levels textures to HD ones?

Peixoto 19-02-15 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by annl (Post 7289185)
so if my level textures are in different positions, how do I keep Lara's model and textures the same and change the levels textures to HD ones?

You have to create replacements with matching positions

annl 19-02-15 18:57

Will that be difficult, as you can see in my screen, the textures are in completely different places.

Peixoto 19-02-15 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by annl (Post 7289188)
Will that be difficult, as you can see in my screen, the textures are in completely different places.

That or don't change lara's model... keep the original model and simply replace it's textures

VictorXD 21-02-15 19:18

Hi there, I have a few questions/requests regarding this tool.
1- Does anyone else have problem with working with more than 9 textures in a single level? I had this problem in Opera House, everytime I reached "dump10" the game would do this bug that happens when it seems that textures are not working properly (very randomly some of your new textures will appear and other won't and after something like 5 min of gameplay and/or reloading a level more than once crashes the game). I haven't tested this bug in other levels per se, as I'm currently focusing on modding 40 fathoms, which has only 11 tex so the ones I really need to mod are like 8. But when I did try to mod all first 4 levels at once (extracting ALL the textures from the levels) on one of my first tries with this, the same error happened. Random textures here and there and then BAM! crash. :(

2- How do I manage multiple mods? I've read the help.exe back and forth but I can't get it to work. I have been doing this:
1-dump and replace all textures
2-after that, compile all textures. Then take the dump_dds file and place it in the replacements folder. After that copy everything inside this folder and paste it in a new folder under the Mods one with no spaces in the name. Select the mod using "help".

After all that, nothing happens, or the textures that are supposed to be replaced turn white, if I remove the modded textures from the replacements folder.

Also, from what I read of the help exe it seems that the tool will read each dump individually, based on the name but not the level. So from what I understood is, if you have 2 seperate mods (in the Mods folder), for 2 different levels but both have files named the same* it will only load the texture in the subfolder with the last alphabetical letter, ignoring the previous texture. Is that it? Because if so, couldn't intead of naming the textures just "dumpX" the extractor name the textures after the level it originated from? e.g TGWdump.dds WMDdump.dds (the great wall and wreck of the maria doria).
That way, not only if per se someone were to mod loads of different levels together one would know exactly just what texture they are working with, without having to open various textures at the same time to know which is which.

*This would happen if someone was modding all levels one by one (which happens to be my case)

I am saying this because this is a god sent tool, and I am really loving updating the old textures with this, but it the only down side is that it needs some optimazing and bug elimination.

best regards

Peixoto 22-02-15 06:09

1 - Have you downloaded the latest version? There was a bug when loading new textures that was fixed. I just tested replacing all the textures in the opera house, loading and reloading several saves there and playing a little bit and it all works. Also, have you tried increasing the number of samples? If none of that helps, try to upload these 10 textures in a level so i can check it out... (NOTE: your description sounds like a bug i kept having before i find a memory leak in the texture replacement code so you might be running out of video memory.. if you run in devmode, you will see a "out of video memory message" in the console)

2 - have you kept the ._dds file in the dumps folder?

The patch only does distinctions based on the texture name, but you can rename the textures whatever you want as long as the dumps and it's corresponding replacement have the same name... you can have a texture named maria_doria1.dds or lara_home_sky.dds. Note that the compiler stores the original name of the texture so if you rename a texture you have to compile everything again but compilation should be very fast... is it?
If you keep several ._dds files in different folders however, only the one last in alphabetical order will be loaded.

Some of these rules might seem a little arbitrary, but it's makes sense in terms of the code i need to implement the features... as i am modifying a complex program whose source code i don't have, it's better to keep the code as simple as possible

Indeed it needs optimization and bug chasing... as people start to use it and report bugs, i will do it as fast as my free time allows me to

VictorXD 22-02-15 07:18

Yup, downloaded the latest version. I only did that yesterday, so maybe tomorrow I'll check and see if the 10 textures are loading then.

As for the ._dds file in the dumps forder... I dunno, I'll check it out and get back to you. I think so at least. I remember doing a lot of trial and error with this, so I'll have to see.

Where exactly do I find that out of video memory message? wouldn't doubt it as my laptop is kinda crappy.

Also, no I didn't even touch the samples numbers, as I did not know what those are/do. They are at the default "4" (if I'm not mistaken). How and why do I use them?

And hmmm, didn't know about that texture renaming thing. I had tried that once but it didn't work, but I'm sure there was a ._dds file in folder so that1s why. And this might sound like a stupid question but, if I DO rename the textures in both folders, do I have to compile the textures straight away or do I just do it after the modded tex are 100% finished?

Sorry for pestering you with all of this, I don't mean to nuisance :p
PS: I'll be sure to report any bugs I might find in this thread, since I don't know a thing or two about programming or anything like that, bug testing and report is a small way I can contribute, so I'm happy so help, even if it is not very much :o:)

EDIT:
Seems like the 10 tex limit bug is gone, yay! And also, renaming does work, just like you said.

Peixoto 23-02-15 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorXD (Post 7291176)
EDIT:[/B] Seems like the 10 tex limit bug is gone, yay! And also, renaming does work, just like you said.

Glad to hear it :)

b.gluch 24-02-15 00:44

The FMVs didn't work, as soon as I start the game from Tomb2Fix.exe it brings me right to the menu, the videos don't show up.

Peixoto 24-02-15 04:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.gluch (Post 7292459)
The FMVs didn't work, as soon as I start the game from Tomb2Fix.exe it brings me right to the menu, the videos don't show up.

Post what error.log says please

b.gluch 24-02-15 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peixoto (Post 7292489)
Post what error.log says please

How do I see that?

Peixoto 28-02-15 03:21

Support for Tomb Raider II gold have been added

Peixoto 28-02-15 03:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.gluch (Post 7292776)
How do I see that?

Tomb2fix.exe\error.log

please read the help

Alberto14 28-02-15 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peixoto (Post 7295271)
Tomb2fix.exe\error.log

please read the help

It's happening the same thing to me. My error log is:

Failed to create the IDirect3DDevice Interface 2147942487 - D3DERR_INVALIDPARAMS
Failed to create the IDirectDrawSurface Interface 2289434849 - DDERR_NOEXCLUSIVEMODE

Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::CreateSurface

I'm using Windows 8.1 with latest Directx 11

Peixoto 28-02-15 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto14 (Post 7295325)

Failed to create the IDirect3DDevice Interface 2147942487 - D3DERR_INVALIDPARAMS
Failed to create the IDirectDrawSurface Interface 2289434849 - DDERR_NOEXCLUSIVEMODE

you are not the first having issues with win 8, but it might also be the video driver: what video card do you have?

Try to put the game (Tomb2.exe) in compatibility mode (win 2000, XP vista or 7) and remember to come back and tell me if it works

Alberto14 28-02-15 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peixoto (Post 7295506)
you are not the first having issues with win 8, but it might also be the video driver: what video card do you have?

Try to put the game (Tomb2.exe) in compatibility mode (win 2000, XP vista or 7) and remember to come back and tell me if it works

I have Nvidia GTX 560, not, in compatibility mode doesn't work.

Peixoto 28-02-15 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto14 (Post 7295325)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirishima (Post 7277096)
The movies didn't work for me either.

Contents of error log when trying to use the new videos:

Succeeded to create the IDirectDrawSurface interface

Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::QueryInterface
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture2::GetHandle
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture2::Release

I've uploaded an update with some tentative compatibility fixes..

try it out

Alberto14 01-03-15 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peixoto (Post 7295765)
I've uploaded an update with some tentative compatibility fixes..

try it out

Failed to set the Display mode 2289434849 - DDERR_NOEXCLUSIVEMODE

Render init failed with "GoFullScreen"

I can't play.