Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ben Wheatley to direct Tomb Raider 2 (19.03.2021) (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223395)

Tonyrobinson 04-09-19 21:21

Ben Wheatley to direct Tomb Raider 2 (19.03.2021)

As we all know now Wheatley has joined the film and we have a release.

A few things seem more likely now too and we can expect a few crew members likely to be in on this. Laurie Rose doing the cinematography and Clint Mansel doing the music with Amy Jump also editing seems like it will happen based on their previous films. This gives them greater control over the film and allows something more experimental and original.

SoraSakai 04-09-19 21:23

Okay no. Please don’t do this stuff again >.< Theresa a thread already for this film with people already discussing this. We don’t need a separate thread for every single piece of info. It makes it harder to navigate. Thank you. Please understand.

Rai 04-09-19 21:28

Thanks for the thread Tony. I said in the other thread this news deserves its own thread. Makes it easier to find than get lost among pages of another thread :).

I guess I'm gonna have to familiarise myself with this director's work so I have an idea what to expect.

It's great to have a release date too. Next year is going to be very interesting following news.

Portugalraider 04-09-19 21:34

[QUOTE=Tonyrobinson;8128453]As we all know now Wheatley has joined the film and we have a release.

A few things seem more likely now too and we can expect a few crew members likely to be in on this. Laurie Rose doing the cinematography and Clint Mansel doing the music with Amy Jump also editing seems like it will happen based on their previous films. This gives them greater control over the film and allows something more experimental and original.[/QUOTE]

Amy being in the editing team I think it's a given since she already is involved with the movie. Laurie Rose in cinematography might also be a certainty, given her history with Ben's movies.

Clint Mansell is not so sure, I think. Ben has worked with Jim Willians a lot as well, and none of them worked on Free Fire, for example. Besides, I think that composers are more studio mandated than director chosen.

And the same could be said for editors and cinematographers, really. Even if it goes low to mid budget, and even if they go for a more European, less Hollywood for the sequel (which considering the writer and director that were hired, is very probable), this is still a major studio franchise release. I don't feel that they might go that much aboard with "let the director do what he wants".

Besides, everyone here knows that I want Junky XL back for the music, so there's also that. :p

Tonyrobinson 04-09-19 22:35

[QUOTE=Rai;8128459]Thanks for the thread Tony. I said in the other thread this news deserves its own thread. Makes it easier to find than get lost among pages of another thread :).

I guess I'm gonna have to familiarise myself with this director's work so I have an idea what to expect.

It's great to have a release date too. Next year is going to be very interesting following news.[/QUOTE]

Have fun going down the rabbit hole of weirdness that is Ben Wheatley. :p

He's a very intense film maker his films are very varied but also very dark in terms of the material. I honestly have no idea what is going to happen with this.

laracroftswest 04-09-19 23:08

As I've said before, I'm excited. Given Alicia's take on Lara's character was the highlight of the last film and she has a good relationship with Amy/Ben I'm guessing she'll have some say on Lara's characterization once more.

As long as they really hone in on who Lara is and take her to some unique places I think they'll do a good job.

Tonyrobinson 04-09-19 23:18

I'm excited because this feels experimental. The twitter reaction is surprisingly strong too he is more of a cult name than Roar. I hope this film can bring the weird supernatural vibes that his other films have.

_Seth 05-09-19 08:28

All sounds positive. :) Is there a particular reason Roar isn't returning? Surely if he was able to direct a successful enough film to warrant a sequel he'd be seen as good enough to hire back.

Tonyrobinson 05-09-19 09:47

I'd say they want something a bit more stand out and less by numbers. Roar was great for the first and I loved it but I think Ben will bring something vastly different in tone.

I'm just thinking Alicia will probably begin her training soon.

James_Rutland 05-09-19 10:01

Great news to see the sequel is actually moving forward, I was beginning to wonder if it would go into development hell! Really interested to see what Ben Wheatley brings to the table - and if it carries on with the reboot style or goes off into it's own thing. Would love a plot synopsis or at least shooting locations!