www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider II (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Visible white lines around (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223904)

caiusmisus 09-01-20 21:28

Visible white lines around polygon edges

Hi,

my first post here :). Finally got to playing the old Tomb Raider games and I'm currently deep into 2 (Temple of Xian).

All good except for one minor graphical issue. Whenever I am in a very bright area or pull out a flare, some objects have visible white lines separating polygons. 99% of the time, it is visible only on Lara's hair. It is only mildly distracting but would prefer fixing it if possible.

Is this a known issue? I tried playing with the setup but nothing seemed to fix it. Anyone has the same problem? I stumbled upon these forums and it seems like the best place to ask.

Thanks.

Kirishima 09-01-20 22:10

White lines around poly's are usually caused by something like anti-aliasing and or mipmapping in my experience. Mipmapping is generally not used in this game, so that's likely not the issue. If you don't have anti-aliasing forced in any way, try disabling the bilinear filter to see if that could be causing the issue (I forgot which F# key that was). Otherwise, try using something like DGVoodoo2.

caiusmisus 09-01-20 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirishima (Post 8164361)
White lines around poly's are usually caused by something like anti-aliasing and or mipmapping in my experience. Mipmapping is generally not used in this game, so that's likely not the issue. If you don't have anti-aliasing forced in any way, try disabling the bilinear filter to see if that could be causing the issue (I forgot which F# key that was). Otherwise, try using something like DGVoodoo2.

Wow. Why did I not think about trying DGVoodoo? :hea::hea::hea: Of course it solved the issue completely and made some other things better than before (like transitions between cutscenes etc.). Thanks for reminding me.

I am playing the version from GOG and they usually use some custom solution for games which conflicts with other stuff. But not in this case.

Problem solved! Thanks :jmp:

New Dwight 10-01-20 06:42

these white lines appear within settings MLAA or SGSSAA
SSAA generates none for classic tr's

caiusmisus 10-01-20 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Dwight (Post 8164424)
these white lines appear within settings MLAA or SGSSAA
SSAA generates none for classic tr's

I wasn't using any anti-aliasing. At least not that I'm aware of. Just playing on 1920x1440 with pretty much the default settings in the setup.

As I said, it was visible only in bright areas or with a flare, almost exclusively on shades of brown (Lara's hair, boots and some other minor stuff) and ONLY from certain angles and distances. Unfortunately, the basic camera position was among those angles/positions combos.