www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   The Last Revelation (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   issues getting Steam TR4 and 5 to run on windows 10? (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=225628)

LateRaider 27-01-21 03:58

issues getting Steam TR4 and 5 to run on windows 10?

hi, a friend of mine got the classics on Steam and i was helping him install them with mods, etc. but he can't get TR4 or 5 to launch at all. the games load to a black screen and he has to restart his computer to regain control of his PC. it does work in windowed mode but he'd prefer to play in fullscreen. does anyone have a solution? thanks

Bokkie 27-01-21 12:08

As a quick workaround, can your friend try to press ALT+ENTER in windowed mode, it should switch to full screen.

I am also recommending dgVoodoo2, it's free and easy to configure: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/QuickGuide/

LateRaider 27-01-21 12:53

yeah dgvoodoo was my next suggestion to him. he said he'd just play his ps1 copies but i dont wanna give up so easily lol

ATombRaiderFan 28-01-21 06:36

Could be a display resolution issue. Recently I tried to play a different game in 1600x1200 and my screen went black, so my monitor probably doesn't support said resolution. Check if your friend is able to use the setup shortcut and make sure they select the correct resolution.

NYCL@R@ 29-01-21 21:14

I have dgvoodoo 2 and TRIV looks stretched out. anyway of configuring it?

Larasenpai 30-01-21 02:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCL@R@ (Post 8275144)

Have you tried the widescreen patch for TR 2-4?

TombHackR 30-01-21 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCL@R@ (Post 8275144)

On the front page of the dgVoodoo 2 settings, click 'scaling mode' then select 4:3 :).

ToMbRaIdErxFtW 16-02-21 17:21

Hi TRF,
Im looking for a solution to my problem, I hope someone can help me because it's a well known issue. The problem is that the menu screen is white when using Peixoto's patch. Using software mode fixes the problem but I would prefer hardware mode obviously. When I use DGVOODOO 2 that fixes the problem too but I want to know how to fix the problem when using Peixoto's patch. Does anyone know?

fallenangle 17-02-21 00:39

Going back to the OP's problem it sounds to me suspiciously like the quite well known rundll.exe and gameux.dll issue a number of Eidos games have in particular.

This explains the fix:-

https://steamcommunity.com/discussio...4842597996108/

I was reminded of this recently because my long time install of TR2 Gold from the original discs on a Win7 64bit PC used with a no-cd shortcut, suddenly started having to be double launched. This left a process running even after you exited the game and slowed the shutdown of the PC.

It was so long ago I'd had the same problem before with TR5 I'd forgotten about it and that solution. It appears the SysWOW64 > gameux.dll was reinstated by some other game or Windows update and I hadn't noticed.

Anyway the point is that disabling that 64bit DLL just by removing or changing its extension fixes the problem.

This is the original source for information I've just re-found and it also explains something that was bothering me: why I have a SysWOW64 > gameux.dll.UBEOGESH in my Windows folder alongside the unwanted new gameux.dll.

http://ubeogesh-things.blogspot.com/...lorer-aka.html

The problem, unlike that Steam forum thread suggests, is said to be an online issue. The gameux.dll is trying to connect to a now non-existent server to check for updates. I'd guess the Steam offline issue is possibly because Steam actually stops that check but if you're not using Steam but still online it doesn't.

That's an uneducated guess. I do not use Steam, my TRs are all installed from original discs.

TombHackR 17-02-21 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW (Post 8279913)
Hi TRF,
Im looking for a solution to my problem, I hope someone can help me because it's a well known issue. The problem is that the menu screen is white when using Peixoto's patch. Using software mode fixes the problem but I would prefer hardware mode obviously. When I use DGVOODOO 2 that fixes the problem too but I want to know how to fix the problem when using Peixoto's patch. Does anyone know?

Not sure if it's a good idea mixing Pexioto's patch and dgVoodoo 2 together, because I don't use Pexioto's patch or know how it works. However... usually to fix white screens in Tomb Raider, you have to select a different emulated video card. The options are 'dgVoodoo Virtual SVGA Card', 'dgVoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated Card', GeForce4 Ti 4800, ATI Radeon 8500, Matrox Parhelia-512, and GeForce FX 5700 Ultra. Try all of them and see if any fixes it.

ToMbRaIdErxFtW 17-02-21 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by TombHackR (Post 8280070)
Not sure if it's a good idea mixing Pexioto's patch and dgVoodoo 2 together, because I don't use Pexioto's patch or know how it works. However... usually to fix white screens in Tomb Raider, you have to select a different emulated video card. The options are 'dgVoodoo Virtual SVGA Card', 'dgVoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated Card', GeForce4 Ti 4800, ATI Radeon 8500, Matrox Parhelia-512, and GeForce FX 5700 Ultra. Try all of them and see if any fixes it.

Im not mixing them together, I'm using them separately. Originally, I was using Peixoto's patch but that still gave me the white screen in the inventory and pause menu. This also affects Chronicles which has a yellow tint. After this I tried using DGVOODOO2 separately and it fixes the white inventory but now I'm losing out on some of the benefits of Peixoto's patch.

TombHackR 17-02-21 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW (Post 8280124)
Im not mixing them together, I'm using them separately. Originally, I was using Peixoto's patch but that still gave me the white screen in the inventory and pause menu. This also affects Chronicles which has a yellow tint. After this I tried using DGVOODOO2 separately and it fixes the white inventory but now I'm losing out on some of the benefits of Peixoto's patch.

Iím suggesting that you mix them together (but Iím not sure if it will work). Definitely give it a try.

NYCL@R@ 26-02-21 03:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by TombHackR (Post 8275292)
On the front page of the dgVoodoo 2 settings, click 'scaling mode' then select 4:3 :).

No because then that would still keep it stretched

TombHackR 27-02-21 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCL@R@ (Post 8282007)
No because then that would still keep it stretched

No, it does the opposite. It stops the stretching.

EpicRaider 01-03-21 17:04

I had the exact same problem and solved it running the games through Peixoto's patch. When the screen goes dark, what you can do is press Windows+Tab and create a new desktop, then use ctrl+alt+supr to open the task manager and close the game in desktop 1 😉

NYCL@R@ 02-03-21 01:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicRaider (Post 8282727)
I had the exact same problem and solved it running the games through Peixoto's patch. When the screen goes dark, what you can do is press Windows+Tab and create a new desktop, then use ctrl+alt+supr to open the task manager and close the game in desktop 1 😉

Wait what!!! So I’ve been doing this all wrong?!

EpicRaider 04-03-21 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCL@R@ (Post 8282812)
Wait what!!! So Iíve been doing this all wrong?!

Have you tried Peixioto's patch? The only problem is that you have to create a new shortcut into Steam, and it doesn't register the time played. We still need a better solution.

UniMatrixXB 19-05-21 12:07

Hello folks, I'm having trouble to get my TR IV (Steam Version) running on Windows 10. Weird thing is, it was working well for some time using only the TR Multipatch and Widescreen Patch. Now it won't start anymore, no matter what I do (I did not change any of my system settings). The screen goes black and I have to restart the computer.

I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, running without patches, with the patches, even using Peixotos Patch (which won't find TR IV path and says there's an error). The game works in windowed mode but well... who wants to play it like that.

I'm running out of ideas and the Guides on Steam or fansites didn't help so far. Do some of you maybe ran into the same problems and know how to fix it?

Also: How can this still be an issue in 2021? I even approached developers on Twitter that it would be nice to fix the classic TR games but they didn't reply.

ANoDE 20-05-21 10:34

I suggest using Dgvoodoo2. It should get things working again.

LateRaider 20-05-21 23:09

that's what he ended up doing, i think. thanks ANoDE.

Jathom95 22-05-21 17:29

Yep, that's what I ended up doing too. DGV2 is honestly a lifesaver with older games.

UniMatrixXB 24-05-21 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANoDE (Post 8299466)
I suggest using Dgvoodoo2. It should get things working again.

Thanks a lot, I will try it!

Update: It worked, thanks guys :) dgvoodoo really does wonders.