www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   TOMB RAIDER General Discussion Thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=187894)

TippingWater 17-05-12 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 6173144)
So do I. :pi:

:gki:.

Spong 17-05-12 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 6173101)
IDK. Would you rather hunt animals or swim?

What a ridiculous question. Which has always been a mainstay of Tomb Raider's exploration? I'll give you a clue; it's not hunting animals.

She's Lara Croft, she's supposed to explore tombs and swimming has always been a part of that. She's not the female Crocodile Dundee. I personally couldn't care less for 'surviving', I just want to climb ledges, jump across spike traps, raid tombs and find secrets.

larafan25 17-05-12 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spong (Post 6173172)
What a ridiculous question. Which has always been a mainstay of Tomb Raider's exploration? I'll give you a clue; it's not hunting animals.

She's Lara Croft, she's supposed to explore tombs and swimming has always been a part of that. She's not the female Crocodile Dundee. I personally couldn't care less for 'surviving', I just want to climb ledges, jump across spike traps, raid tombs and find secrets.

She's always been hunted by animals and has always killed animals.

Hunting as opposed to frolicking about enemy heads is supposedly more exploration-based as you actually have to hunt the animal. Just think of it like finding secrets that you have to kill.

leglion 17-05-12 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 6173177)
She's always been hunted by animals and has always killed animals.

Hunting as opposed to frolicking about enemy heads is supposedly more exploration-based as you actually have to hunt the animal. Just think of it like finding secrets that you have to kill.

I think he doesn't want moving secrets because they're too much of a challenge for him. :whi:

Phlip 17-05-12 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 6173116)
"Swimming doesn't fit this game" is a quote by whom?

Just because there's water around the island doesn't make it a priority, as the game is about what happens on the island.

We can wade the **** into water, seamlessness, believability, immersion doesn't seem to have been broken yet. We just can't swim.

edit: Also I think CD are lazy for not making a game which was a long as the entire series up to this point with every action I can do as a featured game mechanic. Lazy buggers.

Karl, I'm pretty sure.

Again, it doesn't need to be a priority to feature.



They're lazy for not doing something which has been done in games, INCLUDING TOMB RAIDER, since like, the 1980's.

Spong 17-05-12 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 6173177)
She's always been hunted by animals and has always killed animals.

I wish I'd put money on you saying something like that. So fighting with a tiger is hunting? Gunning down a Tibetan monk is hunting?

Did we enter those combat scenarios based on a necessity? Maybe there was the odd scripted encounter to gain an item, but we never had to go chasing pigs to eat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 6173177)
Just think of it like finding secrets that you have to kill.

I'll see it as a mechanic that is completely alien to the series, one that ostensibly seems absurd and appears to do nothing more than pointlessly elongate a process which used to be accomplished simply by pressing the action button while stood over a medipak.

That's how the hunting comes across to me at the moment. I can't say that's what it is until I play the game. Until then, everything about it screams rubbish.

larafan25 17-05-12 21:09

I can see why people would want swimming...and I can totally understand the sentiment that exploring takes priority over anything combat-oriented.

Buttt...

Swimming in the past three games, I'd argue much like platforming has simply been a means of getting around. I would rather hunt a rabbit through a hub in the new game the way it looks to be, than swim in a hub the way swimming has been in the past three games.

Of course people would argue that more than swimming was broken in the past games, so given that idea, why not assume that everything else is being fixed (especially land exploration which I truly have faith in) while swimming waits on the sidelines for at least one game.

If we're getting a hub system which provides better and more exploration than the past TR level structure, might that not make up for a little bit of missing and possibly linear swimming?

I think an issue with the TR series has been that so many features come to be tradition and expected, that there is less room for quality when it comes to stacking up all that quantity from past installments.

Scrape it all off and start adding in quality mechanics instead of just throwing everything back into the game and adding some good new stuff.

larafan25 17-05-12 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spong (Post 6173195)
I wish I'd put money on you saying something like that. So fighting with a tiger is hunting? Gunning down a Tibetan monk is hunting?

I was extremely careful to say they hunted her and not vice-versa.

Both are combat, though one type of combat includes exploration.

Quote:

Did we enter those combat scenarios based on a necessity? Maybe there was the odd scripted encounter to gain an item, but we never had to go chasing pigs to eat.
Nope. We didn't. That doesn't mean our nutrition will be a pressing matter. That's something that seems like it will only be an issue if you make it one.


Quote:

I'll see it as a mechanic that is completely alien to the series, one that ostensibly seems absurd and appears to do nothing more than pointlessly elongate a process which used to be accomplished simply by pressing the action button while stood over a medipak.
Well....you could say the same about a lot of things I'm sure. Auto saves fixed the absurd system of collecting and choosing when to use saves.

Quote:

That's how the hunting comes across to me at the moment. I can't say that's what it is until I play the game. Until then, everything about it screams rubbish.

If our draining health proves not to be draining at a pace which is urgent, then do you find it to be an issue that we should hunt animals which run from us as opposed to attack us?

You seem to be looking at this from the perspective of it being a mandatory drag, but if it weren't mandatory then would a gamer enjoy the possible challenge of hunting the prey?

In fact why not just think of it as a mandatory boss in the sense that it has something you need to progress, so you must kill it? We know there are other ways of getting food.

just*raidin*tomb 17-05-12 21:28

Wow, I ****ing hate this forum right now.

Some of you are being cocky bigots who seem to think your assumptions are facts. Please grow up a little bit.

Mr. Giraffe 17-05-12 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by just*raidin*tomb (Post 6173246)
Wow, I ****ing hate this forum right now.

Some of you are being cocky bigots who seem to think your assumptions are facts. Please grow up a little bit.

This :)

Even if hunting is mandatory, so was a lot of things in previous games.

Swimming, running, jumping, killing some of the animals.... All these things were mandatory and no one whined about it. Get over it and enjoy the abilities that the game has.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:42.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.