www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Software Development (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Meta2tr update. (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=135733)

HeinzFritz 27-04-13 09:42

I experimented with the new blending modes now that they can easily be set in Metaseq: The results are spectacular and I can see countless possibilities, especially when combining all so far enabled blending modes.
Thanks once more meta2tr!

HeinzFritz 02-05-13 17:19

Adding objects?

I keep playing with this marvelous software like a kid and can not stop. It is simply perfect and once you get used to it, the possibilities open one after the other!
So do the questions and a list of features one would like to have.
Like:
As it allows adding textures in an easy way, I wonder if it would be possible also to add objects from another level decompiled in meta2tr. It is clear that such objects could not animate as moveables but could simply be added from another mqo file, together with their corresponding bitmaps as static meshes and afterwards be merged with the room geometry.

EDIT: Sometime it is enough to write down a question to find the answer without anybody answering.
This can be done by importing any object inside metaseq and merging it with the room geometry, of course.
Anyway, while I am at it, would it be possible to add anything that was not previously in the TR file from another TR file so that it will be written with its meshtree in the newlevel.tr4?

psiko 02-05-13 21:19

if it is not present in the wad initially, you can't use it in the tr4 file, or even see it in game.

To merge objects from different tr4 files (you can do it even in future uploading them in sites like trsearch), it is simply necessary to have the object in the wad, even textured with a fake placeholder texture, then have the mqo file with its own tiles (eventually renamed in order to match the tiles of different tr4 files).

Edit: some spelling.

HeinzFritz 03-05-13 07:24

Renaming bmp tiles

Thanks Psiko.
I experimented to create a test library of objects to use them when the level is completely finished and exchange them with the originally placed ones.
A new feature could make the workflow with meta2tr easier:
It would simplify replacement of objects if meta2tr would offer a choice of texture numbering while decompressing the tr4 files, similar as it does for the room geometry. Like: press key X for default numbering from 001.bmp or press key Y to type in a number to start numbering from. Eg: 090.bmp.

psiko 03-05-13 19:19

you can do exactly the opposite, and get the same result :)
I mean, all the new objects you build, can have tiles from that tile090.bmp you mention, as you will be sure all the tga tiles of the prj will be less than 90 (if you are sure of this).
So, you can drag objects and tiles from 090 on, onto meta2tr in any tr4 file :)
the missing tiles will be replaced by empty magenta tiles, with no waste of resources :) I use myself the tile numbered 210, just to be sure, to have common objects for different tr4 files.

A_De 03-05-13 20:22

Will the tail infos number be increased if I use objects which have uv-mapping with textures already present in level? I mean adding the new object which uses an old texture tile from the level. For example, the rock which uses 128x128 floor texture. And how do I avoid increasing tail infos number?
P.S.: sorry if I posted this in wrong thread.

HeinzFritz 03-05-13 20:40

Psiko, I did some experiments and found out that you can modify the meta2tr.exe by opening it in WinHex and changing one hex value from 30 to 31 so that it starts numbering tiles from Tile101.bmp upwards.
But the result was, when adding these tiles together with the modified Moveable.mqo that lots of intermediate empty tiles got created and considerably increased the file size of the newlevel.tr4.
Looks like it is easier to rename the needed tiles to one number plus the last one in the file which gets edited.
Anyway, one of the side results of these experiments was the proof that bump mapping can be applied to moveables like Lara's skin meshes.

meta2tr 03-05-13 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_De (Post 6772974)
Will the tail infos number be increased if I use objects which have uv-mapping with textures already present in level?

Yes. The number of texture infos is related to the number of faces on the object. If the faces all have the same uv polygon, then the number of texture infos doesn't increase, but this doesn't usually look very good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_De (Post 6772974)
And how do I avoid increasing tail infos number?

The first thing to do is to watch the number of polygons in rooms and objects that you inject into the tr4 file.

Also, it helps to rebuild the level completely, since reloading the an object several times while editing it results in unused texture infos building up in the level.

HeinzFritz 13-06-13 22:46

Combining TRNG and Meta2tr

I have recently enjoyed some spectacular custom levels, created with TRNG by several authors who are first class artists when it comes to environments, architecture, objects and lights. Yet not one of these did use Meta2tr to polish the final results.
I wondered why, and then I tried to open one of such .tr4 files in Meta2tr, and realized that they were all locked by TRNG converter's lock feature.
It was clear that each TRNG creator is confronted with a dilemma whether to lock and protect their levels so nobody can open them, or use Meta2tr to give them a more organic and natural look, but let them open to everybody to modify them further or extract objects, textures etc.

I wonder if it would be possible to create a protective encryption AFTER the level has been converted and touched up with Meta2tr?

I do not use TRNG (I prefer TREP), so all this interests me from a player's point of view.

A_De 14-06-13 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeinzFritz
each TRNG creator is confronted with a dilemma whether to lock and protect their levels so nobody can open them, or use Meta2tr to give them a more organic and natural look, but let them open to everybody to modify them further or extract objects, textures etc.

As far as I know, Titak managed to encrypt her MoA levels after editing.
Nothing wrong when the creator wants to keep some things in secret, however I can't understand why some people get crazy about encrypting and don't wish to share their objects or textures. Really, if somebody will take something from my levels after their release, it will be the reason to be proud for me :D I don't use ripped objects though, because I prefer to know who's the creator. Their work worths respect! :D