www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Chronicles (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Chronicles Appreciation (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=224004)

_Seth 06-02-20 22:09

Chronicles Appreciation

I know this game gets a bad wrap but I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. :D Here are some things I really love about the game. Post your own, too. :)

• The only classic TR to be in 60FPS (or at least it feels like it!)
  • Unusually high quality audio quality for the time, rivalling even later TR games. Shout out to the pistols SFX
  • Beautifully directed FMV's which ooze style and an elegant European class
  • The most comprehensive move-set of all the Core Design TR's
  • It dipped it's feet in some next gen features such as; keypads, stealth, headshots, grapple gun
  • VCI being a great example of pure classic level design but in an urban setting. I like it when Lara enters James Bond territory instead of Indiana Jones territory sometimes
  • Ireland and it's art style succeeding at retaining heaps of colour while portraying a foreboding atmosphere

Tomb Raidering 06-02-20 22:22

Oh, I honestly love this thread! ^.^
Let’s see what I’ve got:

• Best story out of the Classics.
• Lara’s personality.
• The locations.
• FMVs and Cutscenes.
• The dialogue.
• Being split in chapters.
• The definitive Classic gameplay.
• Interesting puzzles.
• Graphics being praised for PS1.
• Catsuit.
• Red Alert! is the best farewell to PS1 Classic Lara. I still get teary when I combine the key to the exit. :/

I could add more later on... :cln:

SpyrosMonster 06-02-20 23:37

Chronicles has a soft spot in my heart. I really enjoy going back to it from time to time.

_Seth 07-02-20 19:36

I do prefer the TR3 catsuit, tbh. :p But yeah the ending of Red Alert! is tearfully nostalgic.

Heartache 07-02-20 20:40

i just love the vci levels and the cutscenes that come with it. cgi catsuit lara looks just so cool

Maverin 07-02-20 21:04

It's not the best TR game ever but I enjoy it almost every time I replay it.

VCI is one of my favorite locations, although it's a super bummer that it got bottlenecked by it's many serious bugs.

I'd give the game more credit than the developers themselves give it. They refer to it as a quick money grab but I still enjoy it thoroughly. Then again, I never paid full price for it.

Samz 07-02-20 22:00

Bugs aside, I actually really like Red Alert! aside from the cyborg bosses, The helicopter that constantly hounds you and isn't scripted is WAY better than what what Rise would later do.

VCI soundtrack is great.

Johnnay 08-02-20 02:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Seth (Post 8170855)
I know this game gets a bad wrap but I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. :D Here are some things I really love about the game. Post your own, too. :)

• The only classic TR to be in 60FPS (or at least it feels like it!)
  • Unusually high quality audio quality for the time, rivalling even later TR games. Shout out to the pistols SFX
  • Beautifully directed FMV's which ooze style and an elegant European class
  • The most comprehensive move-set of all the Core Design TR's
  • It dipped it's feet in some next gen features such as; keypads, stealth, headshots, grapple gun
  • VCI being a great example of pure classic level design but in an urban setting. I like it when Lara enters James Bond territory instead of Indiana Jones territory sometimes
  • Ireland and it's art style succeeding at retaining heaps of colour while portraying a foreboding atmosphere

Really.. I know TR2 was locked at 30fps but are you sure Chronicles was the first TR Game to be playable at 60fps?. I would have thought either maybe TR3/TR4 perhaps

Joey79100 08-02-20 07:44

NONE of the classics runs at 60 fps on any platform. All at 30fps (or 25fps for TR1 PSX PAL version - don't know about Saturn)
However TR5 does use floating points instead of integers for 3D coordinates, so it results in a smoother feeling (points don't snap to the closest full number).

Here's a comparison video:

TR4 vs TR5: Integers vs Floating points

You can see how Lara moves smoothly in TR5, but in TR4 it's more jerky. You can even see her butt "going in and out" as she breathes.
This also applied to cameras and everything that has coordinates.

_Seth 08-02-20 08:49

^Aha, interesting. It's a great illusion, then. :D

UroshUchiha 08-02-20 15:14

I enjoyed my time with TRC. It's not my favorite game of the classics but I always get super happy when I replay it. More than I thought I would.

Tomb Raidering 08-02-20 21:26

Added:
• The VCI catsuit backpack.
• The snow hat from the Russian levels.
• Timex.
• First direct sequel to a TR game.
• The energy bars {Health, Sprint, Breath} on PC.

_Seth 08-02-20 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering (Post 8171202)
Added:
ē The VCI catsuit backpack.

That horrible, vertically crushed floating backpack was awful. It must be a geometric error they never fixed.

Samz 08-02-20 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Seth (Post 8171206)
That horrible, vertically crushed floating backpack was awful. It must be a geometric error they never fixed.

Considering the....few inaccuracies between cutscene/FMVs of VCI, I wonder if maybe it was supposed to be a smaller backpack fitting the stealth theme, but they just sorta quickly edited the original backpack model.

TRExpertgamer 11-02-20 19:34

I definitely do see the idea that the story with certain characters from TR1 - TR6 is a plothole because how could Core Design would just have the idea to put Larson & Pierre right back into TR5? I can't even believe that Pierre just got right back into AOD as well. So those type of series from Core Design is definitely a plothole from their perspective. That's why I never recommend for TR5 to go for a remake at all. Nor will AOD either because it wasn't finished properly obviously.

Tomb Raidering 11-02-20 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRExpertgamer (Post 8171714)
I definitely do see the idea that the story with certain characters from TR1 - TR6 is a plothole because how could Core Design would just have the idea to put Larson & Pierre right back into TR5? I can't even believe that Pierre just got right back into AOD as well. So those type of series from Core Design is definitely a plothole from their perspective. That's why I never recommend for TR5 to go for a remake at all. Nor will AOD either because it wasn't finished properly obviously.

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/pic...ictureid=13533

TRI-V Pierre isnít AoD Pierre. One is a goon hired by Natla to eliminate Lara, and the other is simply a cafe owner in Paris.

Are you doing this on purpose?

@Seth & @Samz I honestly loved the VCI backpack. I donít think it was an error, tbh. :ponder

LaraCablara 22-02-20 15:54

Quote:

That looked SO bad. I dont know what they were thinking. Its supposed to be a catsuit to make her blend into shadows, so they give her a weird bright bag. Might as well have just removed the bag entirely.

_Seth 16-03-20 17:50

Forgot to mention a positive about Chronicles;

The Mistress of Darkness - Jonell Elliott

Tomb Raidering 16-03-20 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Seth (Post 8178799)
Forgot to mention a positive about Chronicles;

The Mistress of Darkness - Jonell Elliott

Oh, how did we all forgot?! Of course, The Queen! ^.^

Boobandie 16-03-20 21:03

Quote:

It must be. She's wearing the normal backpack in the FMV.

My guess is they changed its look to explain it not having straps. Lara's backpack straps are textured onto her body, but with the way the catsuit is textured (single texture with reflection map shine applied, this is why she doesnt have belts and holsters like the FMV as well) they couldn't do that and making them 3D would be too resource heavy.

_Seth 16-03-20 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boobandie (Post 8178866)
It must be. She's wearing the normal backpack in the FMV.

My guess is they changed its look to explain it not having straps. Lara's backpack straps are textured onto her body, but with the way the catsuit is textured (single texture with reflection map shine applied, this is why she doesnt have belts and holsters like the FMV as well) they couldn't do that and making them 3D would be too resource heavy.

Yeah, they could have at least uncrushed it and textured it black.

mizuno_suisei 19-03-20 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey79100 (Post 8171071)
NONE of the classics runs at 60 fps on any platform. All at 30fps (or 25fps for TR1 PSX PAL version - don't know about Saturn)
However TR5 does use floating points instead of integers for 3D coordinates, so it results in a smoother feeling (points don't snap to the closest full number).

Here's a comparison video:

TR4 vs TR5: Integers vs Floating points

You can see how Lara moves smoothly in TR5, but in TR4 it's more jerky. You can even see her butt "going in and out" as she breathes.
This also applied to cameras and everything that has coordinates.

This isn't solely the case mate.
I HAVE enabled 60fps rendering in tr5 which mostly affects effects but does interpolate. Watch at 1080p60. I see a phenomenal difference in smoothness, especially in Laras movements. This is a direct recording straight from PCTomb5(J) at internal 60fps.

I think the assuming problem is that most seem to think the classics only have ONE flag for framerates. I've found 3 (thanks to TREP).
Its needed some trial and error but, I've made the same change in TR3 and TR4 - TR2 is proving a bit difficult

By the way - to actually test 60fps capability to its fullest you need a smart TV that runs at 60hz, or a very new gen mobile phone.

On the topic of the thread overall - I actually adore chronicles. I always have! For a quick filler game, I think they provided something truly wonderful. Who would suit a chapter retelling saga than Lara Croft :cln:

s2m6 11-04-20 13:28

Chronicles has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, being the first TR game I played. The ambiance of each level is unique unto itself, the eclectic variety of the locations is admirable,
and there is a tremendous amount of imagination that went into the individual stories, particularly the Ireland levels, which adds a creepiness that the series had never seen before,
particularly as the player is controlling young Lara who is incapable of defending herself.

FreakRaider 11-04-20 13:30

The title screen video is not really 60fps. The video file might be but there is no difference to 30fps

Greenapple968 11-04-20 14:33

Chronicles is my 5th favourite TR game out of the Tomb Raiders that I've played; I rate Chronicles above AOD, Legend, Anniversary and Underworld but I rate Chronicles below TR1, TR2, TR3 and Last Revelation.

I certainly don't worship Chronicles but I don't dislike it either. I used to have a much lower opinion of the game but then I started to like it more as I came to realise that my reasons for disliking the game weren't as valid as I initially thought.

My reasons for disliking it were as follows:
1) I considered the gameplay to be poor and didn't enjoy the game much. The reason why I felt that way was because I thought lowly of the game when comparing it to the first 4 Tomb Raider games. However, by thinking about Chronicles as a game of its own, I realised that I liked the game more than I thought.
2) I didn't consider the secrets to be rewarding. The secrets are just flowers which don't help you during the game; you don't gain healthpacks, weapons, ammo or anything like that which you did in the previous TR games. I do still feel this way, although the secrets in Legend don't appear to help you during the game and there might be other TR games where this is the case.
3) Collecting items didn't seem worthwhile since you would always lose everything at the end of each section. This is kind of annoying, but I suppose it does make sense since all the sections were years apart.
4) The double death of Pierre and Larson was a bit confusing. The Rome section within Chronicles is set one year before TR1. In which case, it has to be assumed that Larson survived being attacked by the dragons and Pierre survived the fall into the ditch. Then Lara crossed paths with them again in TR1 where she then killed them.
5) The VCI section can be very buggy, especially after saving at certain times and places. This affects my opinion of the game, although it isn't exclusive to Chronicles; I've encountered similar problems in certain parts of Last Revelation and AOD can be very buggy as well.

Tomb Raidering 11-04-20 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenapple968 (Post 8185888)
Chronicles is my 5th favourite TR game out of the Tomb Raiders that I've played; I rate Chronicles above AOD, Legend, Anniversary and Underworld but I rate Chronicles below TR1, TR2, TR3 and Last Revelation.

Chronicles above Underworld and Legend: Good.
Chronicles under TRIII and TRII: :facepalm:

Quote:

I certainly don't worship Chronicles but I don't dislike it either. I used to have a much lower opinion of the game but then I started to like it more as I came to realise that my reasons for disliking the game weren't as valid as I initially thought.
You should though. :p
Quote:

1) I considered the gameplay to be poor and didn't enjoy the game much. The reason why I felt that way was because I thought lowly of the game when comparing it to the first 4 Tomb Raider games. However, by thinking about Chronicles as a game of its own, I realised that I liked the game more than I thought.
So Chronicles has a place deep in your heart. ^.^
Poor gameplay? At least you donít get busted by goons at every corner (looking at you, TRII).
Quote:

2) I didn't consider the secrets to be rewarding. The secrets are just flowers which don't help you during the game; you don't gain healthpacks, weapons, ammo or anything like that which you did in the previous TR games. I do still feel this way, although the secrets in Legend don't appear to help you during the game and there might be other TR games where this is the case.
Collecting the secrets unlock concept art for Angel of Darkness. Plus, thereís a trailer for Angel of Darkness on the PS1 version.
Quote:

3) Collecting items didn't seem worthwhile since you would always lose everything at the end of each section. This is kind of annoying, but I suppose it does make sense since all the sections were years apart.
It made sense story-wise. Thatís what matters. At least Lara doesnít abnormally start the game with a shotgun (TRII) or finds a shotgun at the first two seconds of the game (TRIII).

Greenapple968 11-04-20 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering (Post 8185912)
Chronicles above Underworld and Legend: Good.
Chronicles under TRIII and TRII: :facepalm:

I agree with half of these two sentences. :mis:

Quote:

You should though. :p

But I don't. :ton:

Quote:

So Chronicles has a place deep in your heart. ^.^
Poor gameplay? At least you donít get busted by goons at every corner (looking at you, TRII).

Chronicles has a small place in my heart. :mis: For what it's worth, I find TR2 much easier than Chronicles. :p

Quote:

Collecting the secrets unlock concept art for Angel of Darkness. Plus, thereís a trailer for Angel of Darkness on the PS1 version.

I have been informed about this a few times.

Quote:

It made sense story-wise. Thatís what matters. At least Lara doesnít abnormally start the game with a shotgun (TRII) or finds a shotgun at the first two seconds of the game (TRIII).

It did make sense as far as the storyline was concerned. If you don't like obtaining shotguns early on, then you should probably avoid Resident Evil 4, and possibly other resident evil games. :p

Woops 12-04-20 09:09

I think Chronicles is my favorite game. I really appreciate it!

Tomb Raidering 12-04-20 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woops (Post 8186219)

Itís my favorite too. Tbh, it deserves every praise it can get.

Greenapple968 12-04-20 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woops (Post 8186219)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering (Post 8186248)
Itís my favorite too. Tbh, it deserves every praise it can get.

It's just a shame that Chronicles doesn't like either of you! :ton:

TR-Freak 13-04-20 14:19

The only thing i like about TRC is the visual improvement (Camera movement, 24 bit room lighting vs 16 bit in TR3/4 and floats vs ints)

Quote:

By the way - to actually test 60fps capability to its fullest you need a smart TV that runs at 60hz, or a very new gen mobile phone.
Game is locked to 30 fps. Increasing the frames per second would mean having a faster game.

Avalon SARL 13-04-20 19:24

I like chroncles alot, except for Rome. Story was nice and engaging, but the first chapter makes no sense to me t all and lacks a bit of creativity.

Chronicles was more of a gap filler, so I never treated it like it had to be a main game like the previous ones.
It was a filler, but yet I apprecoate it alot and find it has many challenging moments.
VCI levels are one of the best levels I ever played because of the variety and new challenges they offered and they were very difficult.

Greenapple968 13-04-20 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalon SARL (Post 8186805)
Chronicles was more of a gap filler, so I never treated it like it had to be a main game like the previous ones.

Wasn't the original intention for Lara to have died at the end of Last Revelation? In which case, Core would've been limited as to what they could have done but the death of Lara wouldn't have interfered with Chronicles as it was all set in the past. Chronicles does show some key moments; the Ireland section where Lara was much younger, the Rome section which shows Lara's first encounter with Pierre and Larson, as well as showing us how Lara managed to obtain the Iris off of Von Croy.

Chamayoo 06-05-20 14:40

- I love the colorful health bar on PC, like the PS1 ones.
- Rome is really pretty and enjoyable. Nothing breathtaking, but it's very nice.

Greenapple968 06-05-20 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamayoo (Post 8193952)
- Rome is really pretty and enjoyable. Nothing breathtaking, but it's very nice.

The colour of the health bar is highly insignificant to me; I tend to value storylines and gameplay. :p Also, the Rome section is probably my 2nd least favourite section within Chronicles, with Ireland being my least favourite. :p VCI is my favourite section, followed by Russia.

Tomb Raidering 06-05-20 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamayoo (Post 8193952)

Agreed so much, omg! Itís even better than the PS1 health bars with HQ quality. Not to mention I also love the Chronicles PC sprint and breath bars. :cln:

I hate the matte red, matte blue, and the matte green bars in TR4 (and TRLE). >.<

Chamayoo 06-05-20 17:50

^ I don't dislike PC TR2 to TR4 bars but I would have like something a bit more stylish. They do they work, eh.
I don't remember those sprint and oxygen bars, I'm curious to see them again, just to see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenapple968 (Post 8193963)
The colour of the health bar is highly insignificant to me; I tend to value storylines and gameplay. :p Also, the Rome section is probably my 2nd least favourite section within Chronicles, with Ireland being my least favourite. :p VCI is my favourite section, followed by Russia.

This is just commenting of little details, nothing more. :D
I guess what they have intended with VCI, unfortunately I had game breaking glitches that prevented me to enjoy fully this last section. :(

Greenapple968 06-05-20 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamayoo (Post 8194059)
This is just commenting of little details, nothing more. :D
I guess what they have intended with VCI, unfortunately I had game breaking glitches that prevented me to enjoy fully this last section. :(

The glitches within the VCI section were very annoying indeed; saving at certain times and places can result in you getting stuck and being unable to complete the game. I had to restart Chronicles due to these glitches, and I also encountered similar problems in Last Revelation.

Stryke 07-05-20 10:39

Thank you for getting out of this big orange game TR4. I wish you were long though to feel like a complete adventure. I like Lara's sounds, camera upgrades, return of TR3 Desert Eagle, different locations, cutscenes galore.

and Anniversary >>> TR1? Gurl...what? lol

LateRaider 07-05-20 12:56

TR was 30fps on all consoles until TR:AoD

anywayz

TR: Chronicles gave us Larson and Pierre interacting and it was gay so it's not a total dumpster fire