www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   TOMB RAIDER General Discussion Thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=187894)

just*raidin*tomb 12-09-14 01:29

Well then its settled. Rhianna appreciation thread activated.

larafan25 12-09-14 01:30

K. How tho. D:

just*raidin*tomb 12-09-14 01:32

Should we make it in the ROTR forum?

I'm not really sure. I mean people who want to pitch in can pitch in. I could do a short biography and then someone else can do a list for the games she's written. It'll be cool.

I may not agree with everything Rhianna has done with TR's narrative but its so much better than it ever has been and I feel like she really does need to know that people appreciate her work. Those twitter comments make me sad.

EDIT: k someone else might have to do this if they want. I do not have time right now. .__.

trfanX34 12-09-14 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by just*raidin*tomb (Post 7173942)
I may not agree with everything Rhianna has done with TR's narrative but its so much better than it ever has been and I feel like she really does need to know that people appreciate her work. Those twitter comments make me sad.

TRL's story and script was much, much better. :/
In fact I think any TR's story and script was much better than the reboot's.

larafan25 12-09-14 01:43

Yes, these are good ideas.

We can brainstorm more, and postpone the thread while you're busy.

Though I don't want it to be an obligatory compliment thread, something that feels forced. But just... a nice appreciation thread.

just*raidin*tomb 12-09-14 01:48

Yeah of course. ^ :)

@trfanx34 It's been a long time since I've played TRL. But I know that I enjoyed TR2013's story a lot up until the last quarter of the game.

In general the writing for TRL is pretty mediocre and juvenile though. That may just be because of the Teen rating but from what I recall much of the story was really quite silly and the dialogue cringe worthy.

Babou 12-09-14 01:55

Well I saw this earlier and she's 100% talking about this forum. The girl in question, well we all know who she is, Mikky's good 'friends' with her, anyways do you think she was talking about the thread in the ROTTR subsection I started with her interview, and everyone was like: she doesn't know the character. Which to be frank she doesn't know the original character but anyways I do like what she's doing to some extent.

just*raidin*tomb 12-09-14 01:59

Idk I feel like she probably doesn't visit often and caught the wrong thread at the wrong time.

I'm also not sure why people seem to have a generally negative view of this forum. I feel like things have improved a lot over the past year or so since the game's release

Babou 12-09-14 02:04

To be fair it's open season on CD right now, in particular the re-boot. I don't even think the worst elements of the re-boot are her writing, rather the other two. She came on late and did the best that she could with an already adapted script from ascension.

larafan25 12-09-14 02:04

I have a short "Who is Rhianna" segment in the OP... but, I'd like to add something about... like... what she cares about. I'm just not sure how to word it. But like, what her battles are.

Edit: Though I totes have to sleep right now cuz I gotta get up waaay early. So I'll finish the thread tomorrow. I have some ideas.

Babou 12-09-14 02:20

Are you really serious about this? Going through her tweets she's not that nice about these forums. She basically say's that criticism of her work happens because these forums aren't moderated. Developers of the game also started slagging us of saying that people were critical of the title etc. And yeah it was the polygon thread.

trfanX34 12-09-14 02:38

She really needs to learn to take criticism. I read through that thread and it isn't even that bad.

Babou 12-09-14 03:06

^I do agree with you. It seems as though anyone who disagree's with her vision is her hater. We have freedom of speech and as a writer you need to learn to take criticism. I admit that some is unconstructive, but the vast majority is, and it's coming from very long time fans who, at the end of the day buy the game (some of them) and pay her wages. Fans just want to see the games be the best that they can and not crtisising what you dislike won't change anything.

Rai 12-09-14 09:40

At the end of the day, it should be remembered that Rhianna is not some random* behind a PC screen. She is a human being with feelings. And yes, as a writer in the public eye, in part due to her work on popular video games, so she should be able to take constructive criticism. She doesn't have to take anything that is uncalled for or unwarranted. Not all criticism on this forum is blunt or nasty, but she may have interpreted some as being below the belt/too personal, perhaps. Being in the public eye does not mean you have to take anything that comes to you or mean that you have a mental armour to protect yourself. And her Twitter account is hers to view her thoughts/update fans etc. She shouldn't have to justify what she says on it, Or to be criticised for her thoughts on the criticism. She hasn't shown any disrespect to the fans on here or elsewhere as far as I can see. She's merely expressed how she feels about the forums she's taken the time to read and comment on.

Just my pennies worth.

And *I'm not saying a random behind a PC screen isn't human, lol, just that they're entirely faceless to others sitting behind their own PC screens and 'unknown' for the most part, and, as such it's easier to forget they have feelings just like us.

klona 12-09-14 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfanX34 (Post 7173969)
She really needs to learn to take criticism. I read through that thread and it isn't even that bad.

Just FYI, criticism doesn't mean:
"I can bash your work as much as I want and you can't say anything about it."

trfanX34 12-09-14 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by klona (Post 7174140)
Just FYI, criticism doesn't mean:
"I can bash your work as much as I want and you can't say anything about it."

That's not what was happening in that thread. And of course someone's going to be rude at times. You just have to ignore those. But I think most people who criticize the reboot's writing here have a point.

And what she says about it is ridiculous. She goes "everyone who dislikes my work must hate me because I'm a woman or because they didn't want TR to be rebooted, 'cus my work can not possibly be actually bad."

Love2Raid 12-09-14 15:24

It's true that some people on here can be extremely harsh. I'm not going to mention any usernames or quote posts here, but I've seen comments that made me think to myself 'wow, you could have worded that in more respectful way'. That doesn't mean I necessarily disagree with what they are saying, it's more about how they say it. It's totally understandable that some people don't like what she did with the story, that has nothing to do with who she is. They just don't like the story, period. I personally think that the story could have been better, but I have more problems with the overall direction of this reboot. I don't like this Lara, her background story and motivations to go on adventures very much. She's too 'perfect', or something, I don't know. There's nothing interesting about her. IMO. To be honest, I think most of that is CD's work. And ROFLMAO at that comment about Sam x Lara. :vlol: I'm a straight female and the thought of Sam appearing in another Tomb Raider game makes me SICK, not to mention the possibility of them being more than friends. Somebody hand me a bucket. :ton:

just*raidin*tomb 12-09-14 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfanX34 (Post 7174145)
That's not what was happening in that thread. And of course someone's going to be rude at times. You just have to ignore those. But I think most people who criticize the reboot's writing here have a point.

And what she says about it is ridiculous. She goes "everyone who dislikes my work must hate me because I'm a woman or because they didn't want TR to be rebooted, 'cus my work can not possibly be actually bad."

She actually says the complete opposite. There's a tweet of her claiming she hopes its not b/c she has a vagina and rather that they just don't like her work on the reboot.

On a lighter note I finally platinumed TRDE! Took me ages! Oddly enough I didn't actually have to buy every weapon upgrade to get the trophy which was really odd but oh well. :D Fine by me.

trfanX34 12-09-14 18:19

I interpreted that same tweet the other way.

Mikky 12-09-14 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 7173907)

But we should make it clear somehow, that we appreciate her, and her effort... and her...her-i-ness...

But, er... How do I put this? Oh, that's right - we don't, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfanX34 (Post 7173915)
https://twitter.com/rhipratchett/sta...76047380180992

****ing excuse you for a second.

*Offers a seat*

Many members there (the guys mostly) don't fantasize about Lara, precisely.

Oh, look, who it is she's replying to - TR/Sam's White Knight in shining armour. Shocking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by just*raidin*tomb (Post 7174222)
She actually says the complete opposite. There's a tweet of her claiming she hopes its not b/c she has a vagina and rather that they just don't like her work on the reboot.

To even suggest it might be because of that is absolutely ridiculous. Most of us here are gay, so that pretty much comes hand-in-hand with all-round equality, especially gender equality. Even with the straight guys here, who the hell on this forum is sexist? Who?! No-one. She doesn't know us, and frankly, trying to fall back on the "it's because I'm a woman" thing is such an overused tactic by feminists out there when they have nothing else to say. Oh, no, you're a semi-popular woman, all men must hate your work now. Get. Over. Yourself.

At the end of the day, we are not "vicious" towards her, we are vicious towards her work, and for good reason. I'm sure she is a lovely person, as we've seen in developer dairies and videos, but her writing in Tomb Raider SUCKED. It was AWFUL. I will say it again and again, and I do not give a tiny rat's ass if someone thinks that's disrespectful, it is my opinion, and the opinion of many others, and we have the right to express it any time we want. If she has a problem with that, well then, she chose the wrong industry to work in. To be honest, instead of wasting time slandering us on Twitter, she should be trying to think of ways to actually write a good story in ROTTR, and maybe then she'll earn some of our respect.

I am out. Mhhmhmmhhm. *snaps fingers with attitude*

Blue_light 12-09-14 22:23

^Mikky, you're misunderstanding her quote. She was simply answering to this tweet:

Quote:

oh lordy, really? Is it because you rebooted Lara? Or because you have the temerity to write games and possess a vagina?

Mikky 12-09-14 22:53

Well, whoever asked her that definitely doesn't know us and is a twat, to be blunt. And it still doesn't excuse everything else Rhianna tweeted.

scremanie 12-09-14 22:57

Wowza. We're all taking our anger out on the writer now? I feel uncomfortable even reading these threads now...

Mikky 12-09-14 23:06

Well, you know what they say - what goes around, comes around.

larafan25 12-09-14 23:10

I don't feel as though Rhianna has taken her anger out on us, if that is what you mean.

Babou 12-09-14 23:13

^she kinda slagged of the entire forum including it's moderating team, that do an amazing job.

tomekkobialka 12-09-14 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babou (Post 7174572)
^she kinda slagged of the entire forum including it's moderating team, that do an amazing job.

Exactly. Whatever anyone says, that's not the kind of attitude you would expect from a CD employee working on the next game. You would expect them to try and build some sort of constructive relationship with the TR community, not slag us off, or compare us as inferior to another forum. :facepalm:

larafan25 12-09-14 23:35

It's hard to read emotion through text though, it's quite possible she's not as distressed as we're reading.

I mean, she's gotten a negative reception here, and she's simply noted it. I'm sure she doesn't want it to be this way.

Babou 12-09-14 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomekkobialka (Post 7174582)
Exactly. Whatever anyone says, that's not the kind of attitude you would expect from a CD employee working on the next game. You would expect them to try and build some sort of constructive relationship with the TR community, not slag us off, or compare us as inferior to another forum. :facepalm:

It's rather unprofessional. This site is run by fans for free, you simply shouldn't do that, even if you are annoyed. Going for the fans is wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 7174597)
It's hard to read emotion through text though, it's quite possible she's not as distressed as we're reading.

I mean, she's gotten a negative reception here, and she's simply noted it. I'm sure she doesn't want it to be this way.

You clearly haven't read them all. She was rather nasty

larafan25 12-09-14 23:56

Y'all aint nuthin, I was the first hoe to find those tweets.

Babou 12-09-14 23:59

^I saw them before you posted. I knew it would cause this so I left it be. Plus I was on my phone and I can't post on that lmao. But seriously I think a lot of what she said was rude. The other forums better because they like her work. OK.

larafan25 13-09-14 00:01

There are still some qualms with the story, over at the Eidos board. Though I think they get into less intense discussions. So maybe it seems sweeter.

Babou 13-09-14 00:04

^This is true they are deceased and they seem to have a newer fan base, i.e. starting with Crystal rather than Core. Doesn't make it better though, just a different slant on the same topic.

Rai 13-09-14 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikky (Post 7174562)
Well, you know what they say - what goes around, comes around.

Seems to me, it's already gone full circle. Some of the criticism here was harsh, and Rhianna saw it and then said something on her twitter. Sure it was generalising, but she could have called individuals out, but she chose not to. Apart from anything else, twitter doesn't exactly give you room to be specific. What's she's said herself (IE: not what others' are saying and she's just replied) isn't even all that critical, yet people are now quick to either a, dismiss any bashing as not that bad or say 'it wasn't me' or whatever. Seems to me, some peeps here can't take criticism back. Oh, someone Critiques your work harshly and in a non constructive manner? Tough pudding. Well here's the shiz, don't dish out what you can't take back. It's highly possible she's just tired of reading the bashing and then when she is here, everyone's cosying up to her. Or she feels she just can't win or even find a happy medium.

At the moment (this is how it seems to me) it's like: Harsh criticism = Criticism of harsh criticism = outrage of criticism of harsh criticism, IE: :eek: person A didn't like my harsh words? How very dare they! :mad:, or 'eh, what harsh criticism? Oh that, pfft, grow a pair person A :mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by scremanie (Post 7174557)
Wowza. We're all taking our anger out on the writer now? I feel uncomfortable even reading these threads now...

Totally with you here.

trfanX34 13-09-14 01:56

Whatever. As bad as her job as a writer was (in TR! I love Mirror's Edge. Just thought I'd clarify I didn't mean her career in general), I still liked her as a person from what I saw of her in The Final Hours. Now I'm rather disappointed.

And the people replying to her tweet are even worse.

Blackmoor 13-09-14 08:59

None of this is going to make me say I like something I don't. Why on earth shouldn't we have those kind of conversations on here? A forum to discuss Tomb Raider. We haven't gone to her twitter account to hound her.

I see (what I consider) a lot of sycophantic comments on that twitter feed - oh yes, Rhianna, those unbelievers are such bad people. Well, hopefully all that reassuring feedback from her followers has helped her. I believe she's upset so I hope that now she feels supported, truly.

I am disappointed that we are dismissed as "people who stick pins in others" but what can you do - people are entitled to feel hard done by and also people are entitled to take sides on behalf of others.

To me the game is only incidently about Rhianna anyway. She is not TR and I sincerely hope that in that context she understands it really isn't about her - we are all about The Game.

:)

BigR4444 13-09-14 12:05

Good to see her fighting back a little if you ask me...

GASP* Oh my god, I cant believe she had the AUDACITY to actually acknowledge the childish generic internet troll-hatred that goes on in this forum, and actually defend herself... THE NERVE!

Look at all the butthurt... LOL
I especially love how some people suggest that she should be able to "take criticism better," as they complain about her having the audacity to disagree with them... hypocrisy much???
Put your giant overinflated ego away for a second, and get it through your thick skull that the story being poorly written is your OPINION...

...and a minority opinion at that ;)
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=199406

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babou (Post 7174572)

While some of the mods around here are great... there were one or two in particular, one who is no longer a mod, who spent months being SHOCKINGLY unprofessional; not only saying awful mean things about her, but verbally bashing members (me included) simply because we said we liked the game and its story... when we disagreed or objected, we were called "stupid/moron/loser/idiot, etc;" our posts were deleted, and we were sometimes threatened with suspensions...
It went on way too long, and it was an embarrassing reflection on this forum...
How that person was allowed to be a mod around here for that long is inexcusable... youve only been around since Feb 2014, so you probably never saw it...

Mods are supposed to moderate; keep the discussion civil... theyre not supposed to grab the pitchfork first and lead the charge...

Babou 13-09-14 14:06

^True, I was lucky enough not to have seen that. While I've been here I've never seen any mods go in on Rhianna, personally. There's still a case of Rhianna painting everyone with the same brush. I know she might not be a frequent visitor but I think that's what the majority of the thought's are here, and why it's caused this reaction.

SpotEnemyBoats 15-09-14 06:52

For those that play on PC, I noticed that sweetfx no longer works with TR 2013. Which means you can't get rid of that blue/gray filter that the game uses, unless you disable tessellation and hair physics (then sweetfx works).

Crystal most likely patched it to preserve their "artistic vision" on the game or something, I hate it when companies do this. Well it was nice while it lasted.

Mikky 16-09-14 21:02

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/...ears-Fixed.png

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...ource=facebook

I can't believe they used AoD Lara to represent the PS2 era. :facepalm: And then they used GoL Lara to represent the PS3/360 era (wot), and finally, they used the worst shot possible of DE Lara to represent the present generation. Someone get to photoshop ASAP, lol.

But seriously, it's nice to see Lara there.