Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The General Tomb Raider Movie discussion thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=195044)

Chamayoo 27-08-18 19:07

[QUOTE=KylieDog;7959557]Did you read the source? It's $4M. Not copies sold. Says it sold about 165k week 1.[/QUOTE]
Oh indeed not. Thanks, now that seems more realistic to me and far less impressive. :o I understand now why I was the only one surprised about that. :D

SoraSakai 28-08-18 00:46

There's a big difference between studio notes and government notes.

I agree that a director of a film should always have the final say, this usually works for the best.

IT: Stayed true to the source material. Ended up a critical and financial hit.
Logan: Stayed true to the source material. Ended up a critical and financial hit,
Deadpool: Stayed true to the source material. Ended up a critical and financial hit.
Harry Potter: Stayed true to the source material. Ended up a critical and financial hit.

Ghost in the Shell: Casting changes and studio notes made to ensure success= Failed.
Meg: Casting changes and studio notes made to ensure succcess= Lukewarm.

when you make a film that you attempt to appeal to everyone, it ends up appealing to no one.

Wanted to say this days ago but some over-sensitive potato got me banned.

AimlessThunder 28-08-18 02:33

I agree Sora.

They could have easily kept the London section and the port chase while adapting it to the game's story.
They could have also shown a short montage of Lara having different small jobs, one of them being a bartender at the Nine Bells.

They could have also added the college scene from the early draft. It was such nonsense to have her not go to college.

I would have kept Richard out of the story and added Reyes, Jonah, Roth, Alex, Sam and Grim and Whitman. I know that it would have been a big cast, but they would have shown some diversity.

Matthias was also a let down in the movie. Walton had the perfect look for a demented villain. They could have kept the backstory with his daughters though, and even expanded upon it with the female sacrifices. "I have two daughters of my own. I don't want to sacrifice these women, Lara.. but Himiko must return to this mortal coil.. If I ever want to see them again... Bla Bla Bla" :p

They could have adapted the story from the game no problem. The movie could have been 3 hours, as long as it was exciting.
Add the cocoon, escape from the scavengers den and tower scene and the sliding from the wreckage scene. Make it action pumped while still keeping the more emotional and quiet moments.

Well I guess for a movie with all of that the buget would have been way above 200 millions.

I am happy with what we got, but Alicia is the sole reason why this movie worked.

I also can't believe that they decided to cut the fight scene on the beach. I am really dying to see that. I wonder how Lara would have killed that guy with that piece of wood.

SoraSakai 28-08-18 05:27

Alicia was definitely the best thing about the movie.
I still think they could've changed a few things. Make Sam Lara's roommate. Lara wants to go on this quest, Sam's crazy drunk of an uncle has a boat (enter Lu Ren character). Lu Ren gives them the boat and Lara and Sam wash up on the island. Sam is kidnapped to be used as the sacrifice. Instead of finding her father, Lara just an hallucination of him and he tells her not to give up. Lara then rescues Sam, kills Matthias and Himiko.

This way the film can stay within budget, appeal to Chinese government wishes of including Chinese actress, and not worry about such an extensively large cast of characters inflating the budget.

2001LC20 28-08-18 05:30

Kinda random but if only everything else was just as good as Alicia... :p

SoraSakai 28-08-18 06:12

[QUOTE=2001LC20;7960200]Kinda random but if only everything else was just as good as Alicia... :p[/QUOTE]
In what way was any of that random?

Ellioft 28-08-18 11:10

You know what I have understand when I was watching the bonus from the Cradle of Life with the director voice.

We love when they are deleted content and we all imagine how nicely it could habe been made in the final cut but we don't think about is this gonna fit with the intrigue ? Does it feel with the genre of the movie they try to make ? Is this ending really satisfying ?

Exemple : We all wish we see more London moments with Lara with her flatmates but what does bring theses scenes to the story ? Are we gonna see them at the end of the movie ? Does it fit with the tone ?

Sophie telling Lara what to do and push Lara forward to sign the papers isn't really interesting but in the final cut she take the decision by herself.

The fight in the beach : Concidering she was empalled by a tree branch ten second before it's logical to change this scene for a night scene.

Same with Lara and Sophie living together : Does it fit with the story ? No.

I'm happy we doesn't have the member of the Endurance it will be too much characters to introduce. Same with Himiko if you start your film with a "realistic" take you should stay with that spirit till the end. I'm happy with the movie we had and the sequel I'm sure will be better.

I'm gonna try to write a letter to Alastair Siddons asking him for an interview about how he re write the movie. I hope I can bring you something interesting. Wish me luck ;)

Also the scan for the script of The Cradle of Life is now complète. I'm gonna put him online when I'm gonna received the first script from 2000. :)

SoraSakai 28-08-18 12:06

[QUOTE=Ellioft;7960268]You know what I have understand when I was watching the bonus from the Cradle of Life with the director voice.

We love when they are deleted content and we all imagine how nicely it could habe been made in the final cut but we don't think about is this gonna fit with the intrigue ? Does it feel with the genre of the movie they try to make ? Is this ending really satisfying ?

Exemple : We all wish we see more London moments with Lara with her flatmates but what does bring theses scenes to the story ? Are we gonna see them at the end of the movie ? Does it fit with the tone ?

Sophie telling Lara what to do and push Lara forward to sign the papers isn't really interesting but in the final cut she take the decision by herself.

The fight in the beach : Concidering she was empalled by a tree branch ten second before it's logical to change this scene for a night scene.

Same with Lara and Sophie living together : Does it fit with the story ? No.

I'm happy we doesn't have the member of the Endurance it will be too much characters to introduce. Same with Himiko if you start your film with a "realistic" take you should stay with that spirit till the end. I'm happy with the movie we had and the sequel I'm sure will be better.

I'm gonna try to write a letter to Alastair Siddons asking him for an interview about how he re write the movie. I hope I can bring you something interesting. Wish me luck ;)

Also the scan for the script of The Cradle of Life is now complète. I'm gonna put him online when I'm gonna received the first script from 2000. :)[/QUOTE]
The game the reboot is based on started with a realistic tone.

The entire point was Lara at first thinking her dad was crazy and then being proven he was right all along.

Again, and I'm soooooooo sick of repeating myself but...

Nothing in the entire Tomb Raider franchise (the games, the comics, the spin off GBA games, the iPhone games, the remakes or the rebooted series) EVER ditched the supernatural elements.

Praising the removal of that is just... it's just weird and comes off as you being afraid to criticize a film you like. I can't take anyone's opinion on the supernatural elements being removed seriously. I'm only going to think you're just lying to yourself because nothing in the entire series has ever been that way.

That's what Uncharted is for. The twist is the dumbest part of the film and it breaks my heart seeing people just pretending to like it.

"I actually really li-"

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. You didn't. It ruined Lara's most important story arc.

"Maybe in the sequel they coul-"

That would be awful and awkward and confusing. [I]Remember how your dad thought supernatural was real? And he was wrong and an idiot... and then well... I don't know... it's real now apparently[/I].

We all hate it. You hated it (you know you did), I hated it. Every fan of the series would hate it.

It's like changing the magic spells in Harry Potter to drugs and handguns.

Edit: I agree the entire endurance crew not being there is a good idea. Most of them added nothing to the story in the game anyway except for Sam and Ross. I also agree with every other thing you said so please don't take my rage to heart <3

Portugalraider 28-08-18 12:31

Sora, I also would prefer the movie still had the supernatural (and I think Richard would actually work better if he was dead and was just a manifestation of Himiko's power, either as an actual ghost or as an hallucination), but understand that perhaps some did enjoy the lack of it. People who perhaps like tomb raider just for the wonder of adventure, regardless of supernatural.

People may like the same thing but for different reasons. Remember that.

Ellioft 28-08-18 12:31

[QUOTE=SoraSakai;7960300]

We all hate it. You hated it (you know you did), I hated it. Every fan of the series would hate it.

It's like changing the magic spells in Harry Potter to drugs and handguns.

Edit: I agree the entire endurance crew not being there is a good idea. Most of them added nothing to the story in the game anyway except for Sam and Ross. I also agree with every other thing you said so please don't take my rage to heart <3[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but maybe you didn't like it but other may like it and I like what they done it too. :) I assure you in the next adventure there will be supernatural. :)