www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The General Tomb Raider Movie discussion thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=195044)

SoraSakai 22-08-20 21:34

Right. So the current financial climate of the company, mixed in with the complications of the pandemic has made it likely that the film is unfortunately cancelled.

Which is what I’ve been saying for months.

Portugalraider 22-08-20 21:42

Except the film hasn't been cancelled yet.

SoraSakai 22-08-20 21:51

I didn’t say it had.
I said it “most likely has”.

Which it most likely has.
There’s more evidence and events pointing to it being cancelled than there is being “on track.”

The “TR” brand isn’t stronger than a financially crippled production company and a global pandemic.

TrustyBow 22-08-20 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoraSakai (Post 8231909)
I didn’t say it had.
I said it “most likely has”.

Which it most likely has.
There’s more evidence and events pointing to it being cancelled than there is being “on track.”

The “TR” brand isn’t stronger than a financially crippled production company and a global pandemic.

I think it'll go to streaming, best case.

SoraSakai 22-08-20 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrustyBow (Post 8231914)
I think it'll go to streaming, best case.

If it had already filmed, yes. But there’s two streaming shows (one by Netflix and one by Amazon) that both recently just announced they’ve cancelled further seasons due to the pandemic.

Before anyone stupidly misinterprets what I’m saying:

I don’t want the film to be cancelled. I want it to be filmed and released. Nothing would make me happier.

TrustyBow 22-08-20 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoraSakai (Post 8231915)
I don’t want the film to be cancelled. I want it to be filmed and released. Nothing would make me happier.

No I actually do see where you're coming from and am inclined to believe that it actually may have be cancelled. In this case though, I think they've put way too much work into the movie already (as much as you can without filming), and Alicia's a big enough star that if she wants it to happen she can probably get the studio to make it happen.

Also, another thing to consider is they probably wouldnt even come out to say its cancelled. It could always just end up stalling to the point of being in development hell, God forbid.

Portugalraider 22-08-20 22:06

Still, if we are to believe the part of the new info that says the studio is still figuring out how to shoot and finance the movie, in my opinion we also have to believe the info that the movie hasn't been cancelled yet, considering they come from the same source.

And just to be clear, I am not saying that there isn't a possibility that the movie will indeed get cancelled. Just that it might still be too soon to go for that conclusion. Especially considering TR2018 is still bringing in good money to MGM, it might still make sense to invest in a sequel.

Of course, if the sequel is still on the table, MGM has to be extra smart with how it spends that money, not only because of it's finance situation, but also because of the very possible second Covid wave. I wouldn't be surprised if, for example, they now don't want to start production in 2020 because of the possibility of a second Covid wave halting production mid-way through and making the studio lose even more money. Wait for the second wave to pass and start shooting then might be the safest option.

SoraSakai 22-08-20 22:34

Waiting for the second wave to end, which could literally never end, would be waiting to the point of the iron rod losing all its heat. It’d just be too late to the point of no longer really being relevant.

I work on a show here in Japan called いただきマーティン . It’s a play on the word “Itadakimasu”(let’s eat) and “Martin” (name of the host). We haven’t been able to film any new episodes at all this year due to the pandemic. And it’s just a small breakfast food show.

So this is another reason why I just can’t see this film happening.

Portugalraider 22-08-20 23:06

I don't really have that much to add, because none of us will change their feeling really. :p

But I still need to comment that "small breakfast food show" just sounds suck a lovely concept for a cooking/food show that I wish we had actually had those at least in Portugal. :p

SoraSakai 22-08-20 23:10

It was really fun :(
We traveled around to different areas and showed different things people have for breakfast.