www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Underworld (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   CD trying to bring the DLC to PC (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=225774)

frodrigues 27-02-21 01:36

CD trying to bring the DLC to PC
 
In case you guys missed it - Megan mentioned during todayís anniversary stream that CD is looking into ways to bring the XBOX DLC to PC. It is not a promise nor an announcement, just something they are looking into. Apparently, legal issues are proving to be a challenge so they wonít commit to anything for now.

Blackmoor 27-02-21 03:24

Is this the TRU xbox exclusive dlc or was there some other exclusive dlc they had?

michaeldt 27-02-21 06:30

Still exciting news- would be a nice way to preserve these levels.

Los Angeles 27-02-21 09:33

That would be nice, I never got to play the underworld DLC cuz I didnít own a 360.

Chamayoo 27-02-21 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by frodrigues (Post 8282222)
In case you guys missed it - Megan mentioned during today’s anniversary stream that CD is looking into ways to bring the XBOX DLC to PC. It is not a promise nor an announcement, just something they are looking into. Apparently, legal issues are proving to be a challenge so they won’t commit to anything for now.

OMG, it's still good news as they're actually trying !

Wooxman 27-02-21 12:05

A link to the stream and a time stamp would've been nice.

frodrigues 27-02-21 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmoor (Post 8282236)
Is this the TRU xbox exclusive dlc or was there some other exclusive dlc they had?

The TRU DLC, yes. I believe they were specifically talking about the two extra chapters. If I’m not wrong, XBox also had an exclusive outfit pack, but I’m not sure she meant those as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaeldt (Post 8282250)
Still exciting news- would be a nice way to preserve these levels.

Which reminds me of another thing she mentioned. She’s working on archiving/restoring different versions of the games, such as press kits and alpha builds, including Legend’s. Also on her radar is updating her book with new material.

And finally, CD is also trying to bring the games’ soundtracks to streaming services, specially the OSTs from the LAU era.

RAID 27-02-21 15:10

Good news I guess. I'm over Underworld or anything LAU though.

Chamayoo 27-02-21 15:17

If they'll succeed to port them, I'm just waiting modders to make Doppie playable in the main game. Would be fun, even if I know that would probably be messy and broken haha

Wooxman 27-02-21 15:45

Could someone please provide a link to the stream and a time stamp for the moment when this was said? Because I can imagine that they just said "That's something that we really want to do" and not "We're certainly doing this!"

CheshireBitch 27-02-21 16:22

It's very good news and also very pleasant to hear they want to preserve the TRU DLC by bringing them to PC. I hope they could do it !

Also archiving and restoring presskit and alpha builds is wonderfull news too !
The TR presskit were very creative back in the 90's so I hope she will manage to do that.
(The one for TR5 and the one for AOD are awesome)

LateRaider 27-02-21 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooxman (Post 8282312)
Could someone please provide a link to the stream and a time stamp for the moment when this was said? Because I can imagine that they just said "That's something that we really want to do" and not "We're certainly doing this!"

yeah this. i think in the end it's going to mean "we wanted to but we couldn't, oh well, sorry"

Gian Carlo 27-02-21 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooxman (Post 8282312)
Could someone please provide a link to the stream and a time stamp for the moment when this was said? Because I can imagine that they just said "That's something that we really want to do" and not "We're certainly doing this!"

The title clearly says that theyíre TRYING to.

tomblover 27-02-21 21:53

What Meagan said was essentially that they forward people's requests (for the DLC, and for TLA as well I'd imagine) to their legal department, but it seems that the executive decision lies in Microsoft's hands, as the contractual obligation looks like it still applies.

I mean, if the contract had a time limit on it, CD would've already made the DLC available for everyone by now, don't you think?

I personally doubt they're going to buy out the contract, if that is what's holding them back.

The demand for these DLCs is small enough that there's no way they'd be able to turn a profit from it, or even be bothered to put people to task when there are so many more lucrative options. It's a 13-year-old game.

frodrigues 27-02-21 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gian Carlo (Post 8282363)
The title clearly says that they’re TRYING to.

Thank you! I had to read my post 3 times to check if somehow I didn’t make it clear that they are not doing anything other than seeing if it’s possible :confused:

Glad to see a fellow brazilian got it :p

LateRaider 28-02-21 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblover (Post 8282375)
What Meagan said was essentially that they forward people's requests (for the DLC, and for TLA as well I'd imagine) to their legal department, but it seems that the executive decision lies in Microsoft's hands, as the contractual obligation looks like it still applies.

I mean, if the contract had a time limit on it, CD would've already made the DLC available for everyone by now, don't you think?

I personally doubt they're going to buy out the contract, if that is what's holding them back.

The demand for these DLCs is small enough that there's no way they'd be able to turn a profit from it, or even be bothered to put people to task when there are so many more lucrative options. It's a 13-year-old game.

thank you for being the only ****ing person to tell the truth

Wooxman 28-02-21 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gian Carlo (Post 8282363)
The title clearly says that theyíre TRYING to.

That's already one step further than "We want to do this." Plus TR fans are prone to misinterpreting stuff like this. Not necessarily the OP, but probably some of the people that already replied in here. Also I just want to know the exact wording, and the safest way to get this is to watch the original statement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblover (Post 8282375)
What Meagan said was essentially that they forward people's requests (for the DLC, and for TLA as well I'd imagine) to their legal department, but it seems that the executive decision lies in Microsoft's hands, as the contractual obligation looks like it still applies.

I mean, if the contract had a time limit on it, CD would've already made the DLC available for everyone by now, don't you think?

I personally doubt they're going to buy out the contract, if that is what's holding them back.

The demand for these DLCs is small enough that there's no way they'd be able to turn a profit from it, or even be bothered to put people to task when there are so many more lucrative options. It's a 13-year-old game.

Thank you! This is already more information than what anyone else has given in this thread. Them forwarding these requests isn't really the same as Crystal actively trying to port the DLCs.

Blackmoor 28-02-21 18:16

^I haven't watched it but I think the stream is on Crystal's Twitch site.

https://www.twitch.tv/crystaldynamics

tomblover 28-02-21 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooxman (Post 8282486)
Thank you! This is already more information than what anyone else has given in this thread. Them forwarding these requests isn't really the same as Crystal actively trying to port the DLCs.

I've no doubt that they would port the DLCs, but not a second before Microsoft gives them the go-ahead to do so. Which isn't all that likely, unfortunately, because it's not a profitable venture.

Anything CD does with the DLC will be on Microsoft's behalf, ultimately, and at their behest.

I think the chance we have of seeing TLA re-released is significantly bigger, and what we should be focusing on thus (in terms of sending in requests and generally pushing for it, I mean), but that's just my two cents.

It was made by the San Francisco branch of Eidos, which means that SE probably are within their rights to re-release it, there's just the matter of them digging up old paperwork to reconfirm the legal details of it.

Wooxman 01-03-21 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmoor (Post 8282498)
^I haven't watched it but I think the stream is on Crystal's Twitch site.

https://www.twitch.tv/crystaldynamics

It's not. There's only two short streams, one that opened the whole thing and one that ended it and the rest is fragmented over several other Twitch channels. Besides, the whole thing is several hours long and I surely won't watch such a long stream for just one small information, especially since others know exactly when that piece of information was given.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblover (Post 8282511)
I've no doubt that they would port the DLCs, but not a second before Microsoft gives them the go-ahead to do so. Which isn't all that likely, unfortunately, because it's not a profitable venture.

Anything CD does with the DLC will be on Microsoft's behalf, ultimately, and at their behest.

I don't doubt that they would port the DLCs, but it's kinda frustrating that so many times a bunch of TR fans misinterpred things that have been said by people from CD or SE or even things that have been leaked (purposefully or not) or figured out otherwise and that gets blown up to a point where a majority of fans believes this to be true and definitive (T.R.U.E. anyone?). And then everyone is disappointed when that thing doesn't happen, even though no one from any official source ever said that it'll definitely happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblover (Post 8282511)
I think the chance we have of seeing TLA re-released is significantly bigger, and what we should be focusing on thus (in terms of sending in requests and generally pushing for it, I mean), but that's just my two cents.

It was made by the San Francisco branch of Eidos, which means that SE probably are within their rights to re-release it, there's just the matter of them digging up old paperwork to reconfirm the legal details of it.

They probably have the full rights of TLA anyway. My guess is that it never has been released digitally is because there wasn't a huge audience for it. A lot of people don't even seem to know that the classic expansion packs exist.

LateRaider 01-03-21 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooxman (Post 8282647)
I don't doubt that they would port the DLCs, but it's kinda frustrating that so many times a bunch of TR fans misinterpred things that have been said by people from CD or SE or even things that have been leaked (purposefully or not) or figured out otherwise and that gets blown up to a point where a majority of fans believes this to be true and definitive (T.R.U.E. anyone?). And then everyone is disappointed when that thing doesn't happen, even though no one from any official source ever said that it'll definitely happen.

https://i.imgur.com/TfC8ljc.png

SnatchingEdges 01-03-21 19:16

That picture is so spot on and ironic lmao

Wooxman 01-03-21 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8282746)
https://i.imgur.com/TfC8ljc.png

Yup, I know this tweet and I love that statement. Sadly some fans still find ways to overhype themselves over things that have never been said. :rolleyes:

Johnnay 01-03-21 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblover (Post 8282511)
I've no doubt that they would port the DLCs, but not a second before Microsoft gives them the go-ahead to do so. Which isn't all that likely, unfortunately, because it's not a profitable venture.

Anything CD does with the DLC will be on Microsoft's behalf, ultimately, and at their behest.

I think the chance we have of seeing TLA re-released is significantly bigger, and what we should be focusing on thus (in terms of sending in requests and generally pushing for it, I mean), but that's just my two cents.

It was made by the San Francisco branch of Eidos, which means that SE probably are within their rights to re-release it, there's just the matter of them digging up old paperwork to reconfirm the legal details of it.

Obviously TLA being re released has a bigger chance than Underworld DLC because The difference is TLA is PC exclusive and no other platform has exclusive rights to it so well most likely see a steam/gog release of it right away compared to Underworld DLC where it’s up to M$ To decide and that will take some time


Besides that I don’t understand why they took this long in wanting to release underworld dlc for PC, I doubt this will come to PS, if it does then underworld (and maybe LAU) would have to be released on PS4 with the dlc as I seriously doubt SE would have to focus on porting the dlc to PS3 version of underworld as no developer touch’s PS3 nowadays

Obi_Black 03-03-21 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnay (Post 8282784)
Obviously TLA being re released has a bigger chance than Underworld DLC because The difference is TLA is PC exclusive and no other platform has exclusive rights to it so well most likely see a steam/gog release of it right away compared to Underworld DLC where itís up to M$ To decide and that will take some time


Besides that I donít understand why they took this long in wanting to release underworld dlc for PC, I doubt this will come to PS, if it does then underworld (and maybe LAU) would have to be released on PS4 with the dlc as I seriously doubt SE would have to focus on porting the dlc to PS3 version of underworld as no developer touchís PS3 nowadays

Of course itís pointless to even think about releasing it on PS3 but I will not be surprised if they eventually announce port/remaster of LAU trilogy on next gen consoles. It wouldnít be anything unusual these days and it would be great oportunity to release definitive editions for each of those games - including DLC.

Chamayoo 03-03-21 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obi_Black (Post 8283057)
Of course itís pointless to even think about releasing it on PS3 but I will not be surprised if they eventually announce port/remaster of LAU trilogy on next gen consoles. It wouldnít be anything unusual these days and it would be great oportunity to release definitive editions for each of those games - including DLC.

I agree. The best way to make the DLCs profitable would be them on a next gen remaster with the rest of the trilogy. :)

Felipe 03-03-21 14:17

That exclusivity deal with Microsoft surely tangled things for them, but they're still hanging on to it after 13 years?
I remember Nintendo made a similar exclusivity deal with Capcom for RE in the 2000's, but ports started to appear not even 5 years after.

I hope they can work something out and re-release LAU with the X360 content, and maybe even some new outfits for the 3 games :D

GaviCroftREmix 03-03-21 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felipe (Post 8283104)
That exclusivity deal with Microsoft surely tangled things for them, but they're still hanging on to it after 13 years?
I remember Nintendo made a similar exclusivity deal with Capcom for RE in the 2000's, but ports started to appear not even 5 years after.

I hope they can work something out and re-release LAU with the X360 content, and maybe even some new outfits for the 3 games :D

EVERYONE HOLD HANDS AND PREY FOR THE BEST RE-RELEASE OF OP LARA CROFT's RETURN of all the timelines also for those who don't believe change your mind RIGHT NOW thus is time we are recognized again.:jmp::jmp::jmp:

LateRaider 04-03-21 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felipe (Post 8283104)
That exclusivity deal with Microsoft surely tangled things for them, but they're still hanging on to it after 13 years?
I remember Nintendo made a similar exclusivity deal with Capcom for RE in the 2000's, but ports started to appear not even 5 years after.

I hope they can work something out and re-release LAU with the X360 content, and maybe even some new outfits for the 3 games :D

i mean it took 12 years for re0 and re1 remake to come to other consoles... but yeah youre right about tr:u this is ridiculous at this point. for it to not even come to pc is ludicrous

Johnnay 04-03-21 02:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felipe (Post 8283104)
That exclusivity deal with Microsoft surely tangled things for them, but they're still hanging on to it after 13 years?
I remember Nintendo made a similar exclusivity deal with Capcom for RE in the 2000's, but ports started to appear not even 5 years after.

I hope they can work something out and re-release LAU with the X360 content, and maybe even some new outfits for the 3 games :D

Yes that backtracked on them big time. The DLC for 360 makes underworld a much better complete game and most people didnít and still canít get it on other platforms back then and itís too late for the remainder of them instead PC which is the widespread platform

The Rise exclusivity didnít help things out either and stuffed up crystal because they didnít think twice before another exclusive deal with M$

Yeah around 5ish years for RE Exclusively on GameCube

Zsott 04-03-21 05:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felipe (Post 8283104)
I hope they can work something out and re-release LAU with the X360 content, and maybe even some new outfits for the 3 games :D

The funny thing is, there are other exclusive contents for LAU: the PSP exclusive items.
Legend has several outfits locked behind its multiplayer/ time trial for one of its game mode, a PSP exclusive track for fighting Takamoto; and Anniversary has some PSP exclusive outfits too.

tomblover 04-03-21 10:07

I think it's also important to remember that if they did port the DLCs, it would likely be for PC only.

Partly because Microsoft would be more amenable to that, but also because the PS3 and 360 platforms are no longer supported, we're talking two generations ago.

The easiest option is to just stick 'em on STEAM, or more likely as part of another re-release, similar to the trilogy we got on PS3.

Granted, I don't think they would re-release LAU on its own, there would probably be re-releases of the Classics as well then, but y'know.

Obi_Black 04-03-21 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblover (Post 8283297)
I think it's also important to remember that if they did port the DLCs, it would likely be for PC only.

I would beg to differ :D If we are talking about releasing simple ports to already existing version of TRU, then yes, it makes sense. PC however is not leading gaming platform, so it would be more profitable to make actual remasters for all current gen systems.

On the other hand, GOG proves that there is still demand for old and niche titles, that were never released in digital distribution, so who knows.

Zsott 05-03-21 05:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblover (Post 8283297)

Granted, I don't think they would re-release LAU on its own, there would probably be re-releases of the Classics as well then, but y'know.

If so, then the TRUE trademark got its meaning. (granted, that all the TR anthology would be included)

frodrigues 05-03-21 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8282482)
thank you for being the only ****ing person to tell the truth

Just a little something: don’t go up online calling people you don’t know a liar. I opened this thread with the best of intentions to give a heads up to those who missed the information. Have you find the stream with the info to confirm what the truth is? I tried it and when I came back I found I was in trial or something. Your attitude sucked so maybe try to not say online what you probably wouldn’t say in person.

Wooxman 09-03-21 12:37

Couldn't a remaster be a solution for this? Some of the Assassin's Creed games had PlayStation exclusive DLCs, but when the Ezio trilogy was released, it came with those DLCs, even on Xbox One. So maybe that could be a loop hole.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obi_Black (Post 8283317)
PC however is not leading gaming platform, so it would be more profitable to make actual remasters for all current gen systems.

There's easily more people with PCs that could run LAU remasters than those who own a PS5 or Xbox Series X/S. So there's that. And in recent years there have been a lot of ports of older console games to PC with improved graphics and those apparently sell well enough.

killchan 09-03-21 13:09

A remaster should include the DLCs , as they extend the ending of the base game.
And maybe , as a cherry on top, SE might leave the bikinis to Microsoft :p as a testament to that stupid agreement.

The way I see it the real news is that the discussion itself even started. It strongly implies that a remaster might be on the table.

The legend trilogy as a whole needs more than just a couple of bonus levels and outfits.

The next gen graphics in Legend are pretty instable, Anniversary lacks them completely on some platforms , in Underworld the movement is broken and Lara prioritizes walljumps over ledge grabbing :vlol: which is kind of ironic considering the latter is basically 80% of the gameplay of the entire trilogy

tomblover 09-03-21 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by killchan (Post 8284322)
And maybe , as a cherry on top, SE might leave the bikinis to Microsoft :p as a testament to that stupid agreement.

If only! The game would get so much promo from all of the mouthbreather channels on YouTube crying censorship... :vlol:

Valentino 09-03-21 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by killchan (Post 8284322)

The legend trilogy as a whole needs more than just a couple of bonus levels and outfits.

The next gen graphics in Legend are pretty instable, Anniversary lacks them completely on some platforms , in Underworld the movement is broken and Lara prioritizes walljumps over ledge grabbing :vlol: which is kind of ironic considering the latter is basically 80% of the gameplay of the entire trilogy

Yeah for real I don't know why we got what we got from Legend in the PS3 remaster. Actual jokes. And they didn't even attempt any polish up with Underworld. They knew it was buggy but proceeded to release it again.......with it being buggy? Anniversary looks splendid in some parts but still has it's "ooff" moments.

Did Lara's Shadow and Beneath the Ashes play like Underworld did? I.e clunky movements and whack camera?

Wooxman 11-03-21 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valentino (Post 8284359)
And they didn't even attempt any polish up with Underworld.

They probably just put the original PS3 version into that collection. IIRC back then not many people outside of the TR fandom complained about Underworld's buginess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valentino (Post 8284359)
Did Lara's Shadow and Beneath the Ashes play like Underworld did? I.e clunky movements and whack camera?

Beneath the Ashes plays the same, but there aren't as many small and cramped rooms as in the main game, so Lara doesn't constantly bump into walls. Lara's Shadow on the other hand plays much better and has more responsive controls.


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.