www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   The Angel of Darkness (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   PC Control Mod - Tank Plus (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=226481)

Jathom95 16-08-21 20:29

As much as I can't stand that damn camera, I do agree that someone should probably roll that into their own mod or something. Just like many of Sasho's changes in his mod being controversial to some, they may likewise prefer having the combat camera for some reason.

I'd say the more necessary addition if someone can ever find out how to do it is making Swap Targets more accessible. People over in the general section have commented that they didn't even know AOD had that function at all. I think your suggestion of mapping it to the Stealth key and not being able to go into stealth with a weapon drawn would be best, though like you I've no clue how it'd be done.

Caesum 17-08-21 17:10

Honestly in my opinion the main problem with combat is not the camera itself, but L&K's erratic left/right movement along with an obvious camera mode switching lag after an enemy is killed. Like I don't even miss jumping while shooting that much, because it's not even needed in TRAOD, but the left/right movement and camera lag are the worst offenders.

Jathom95 31-08-21 14:13

@LateRaider Been meaning to say, thanks for the work you've put into this. While I'd gotten used to playing with Sasho's patch, and am grateful for how much better it made running in particular, there were things about it I wasn't crazy about. I actually didn't mind the 180 turn much, but the limping and low health effect and especially the "Last Chance Grab" thing, I really could've done without.

I think Sasho's mod worked better as a proof of concept, while yours aims to be strictly vanilla controls enhancement, hence the name. But it's great to finally have more fluidity with the controls now without having to compromise. Thanks again. :)

Joey79100 05-09-21 19:39

A few months ago I tried doing an AOD run, but I stopped in the middle of Industrial Rooftops, because I got annoyed very quick of the running speed and the walk to run bug. And I didn't want to play with sasho's patch because it doesn't feel like it was meant to be this way (the extra things overbalance the positive things in it in my opinion).

So yesterday I wanted to try out this mod, just to see how it felt. I ended up finished the entire game earlier today. :gabisaysbequiet:

It genuinely felt good. Once the running speed is back at 100% instead of 70ish% (btw it was slow but definitely not 50%, that's a bit misleading :p) and that walk to run bug is fixed, the controls are actually pretty good. I even wanna say it's better than the classics.
Two things that would add even more to responsivity would be: allowing Lara to keep turning while she stops running (like in TR1-5), and make the fact that she keeps running after a jump dependent on the key pressed only (right now she will always and only run if she was already running before the jump). The rest actually feels like it's more permissive than the classics, something I didn't feel was true before.
Also making a few animations faster could help, for example wall-hugging in stealth mode actually feels like 50% animation speed. Also maybe the ladder animations could be faster (especially Kurtis's ones because they're even worse), Kurtis's transitions from crouch to that alternate crouch he needs to move forward (and vice-versa), but overall it's pretty good.
Monkey swinging could use a little fixing too: you can't turn in place, even though she has the required animations (right now she will always start moving forward when you press left or right).

Also it seems sasho had fixed more than playing with the controls, there's a crash that occurs in the Strahov in vanilla, and in this mod too: I kept getting the error mentioned in this thread right after the Luddick's death cutscene, and generally around the lasers area. Disabling sound only fixed it for a while, but sasho's patch fixed it completely.

Anyway: that mod, plus reverb, plus nakamichi's level fixes, plus his multipatcher to fix a few other things (control wise, removing the lag from the Look button, and inverting the Y axis to make it like the classics) just made the whole AOD experience way more solid than I ever thought I would see. Even Kurtis was bearable. Combat mode is still **** but that's a whole topic. :cln:
I used to launch AOD with cheats only to fly around places and look for removed stuff. This time I actually enjoyed playing it properly.

Thank you for this mod. :)

Jathom95 05-09-21 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey79100 (Post 8319177)
Post

Like I've said before, even AOD can be given a second chance. :)

I'm so very glad to hear LateRaider's work improved the game for you that much, alongside everything else as well!

LateRaider 06-09-21 03:33

oh i guess sasho did a lot more than we all thought. i wish i had any idea of how to fix the strahov crash. i'm sorry.

Jathom95 06-09-21 03:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8319209)
oh i guess sasho did a lot more than we all thought. i wish i had any idea of how to fix the strahov crash. i'm sorry.

I can't recall ever having an issue with any part of the Strahov, even in vanilla, but the few reports of it circulating means it must not be an isolated event. I wonder if it has anything to do with the memory error I helped TRJTA solve for his Definitive Edition texture project? Vanilla AOD doesn't really ever hit the upper RAM limit at all, but it could possibly be something with that.

On an unrelated note, something I really wish we could fix is the disconnect between different interfaces in game. There's no clear cut control scheme for any of those. For instance, in Parisian Ghetto, you press Action to open those area maps, and Action again to close it. Logical enough, right? But then the same isn't true everywhere else. The computer in the Louvre to look into Carvier's office can only be closed by pressing Duck. Vasiley's clock puzzle is closed by pressing Stealth. It's all just really weird and not intuitive at all. Not to mention things like the keypad will adjust to whatever you have mapped for Action but to move the hand around you still have to use the arrow keys.

TRJTA 06-09-21 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jathom95 (Post 8319211)
I can't recall ever having an issue with any part of the Strahov, even in vanilla, but the few reports of it circulating means it must not be an isolated event. I wonder if it has anything to do with the memory error I helped TRJTA solve for his Definitive Edition texture project? Vanilla AOD doesn't really ever hit the upper RAM limit at all, but it could possibly be something with that.

On an unrelated note, something I really wish we could fix is the disconnect between different interfaces in game. There's no clear cut control scheme for any of those. For instance, in Parisian Ghetto, you press Action to open those area maps, and Action again to close it. Logical enough, right? But then the same isn't true everywhere else. The computer in the Louvre to look into Carvier's office can only be closed by pressing Duck. Vasiley's clock puzzle is closed by pressing Stealth. It's all just really weird and not intuitive at all. Not to mention things like the keypad will adjust to whatever you have mapped for Action but to move the hand around you still have to use the arrow keys.

Yes agreed. Those key bindings are so random.

ANoDE 06-09-21 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRJTA (Post 8319235)
Yes agreed. Those key bindings are so random.

I assume this was one of those: "Let's make it work first and fix it later" issues that - unfortunately - never got fixed.

Jathom95 06-09-21 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANoDE (Post 8319282)
I assume this was one of those: "Let's make it work first and fix it later" issues that - unfortunately - never got fixed.

Yes, that's about the only thing that makes sense. You'd think though if they specifically had to program those functions to use a certain key that it would've just been easier to map it to the right one the first time. Unless there were unforeseen issues.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:26.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.