www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Arts and Entertainment (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   The General Sailor Moon Thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=156755)

Atlantisfreak666 08-08-09 18:40

The General Sailor Moon Thread

Seeing as everybody else is making fan threads, I thought I'd make one for my new favorite cartoon. :D

Sailor Moon (美少女戦士セーラームーン, Bishōjo Senshi Sērā Mūn?, officially translated as Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon) is the title of a Japanese media franchise created by Naoko Takeuchi. Fred Patten credits Takeuchi with popularizing the concept of a sentai (team) of magical girls, and Paul Gravett credits the series with "revitalizing" the magical girl genre itself.

The story of the various metaseries revolves around the reincarnated defenders of a kingdom that once spanned the solar system, and around the evil forces that they battle. The major characters—called Sailor Senshi (literally "Sailor Soldiers"; frequently called "Sailor Scouts" in the North American version)—are teenage girls who can transform into heroines named for the moon and planets (Sailor Moon, Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, etc). The use of "Sailor" comes from a style of girls' school uniform popular in Japan, the sērā fuku (sailor outfit), after which the Senshi's uniforms are modeled. The elements of fantasy in the series are heavily symbolic and often based on mythology. - Wikipedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...or_Senshi2.png

Sailor Moon English dub: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...EBF2B498156CC5

Sailor Moon Japanese with English subs: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...FA597C0B31C236

MOON TIARA ACTIONNNNN. :pi:

RAID 08-08-09 18:41

The English voices penetrate my brain and kill the cells one by one. Ugh. Awful stuff.

No one does voice acting like the Italians do :tmb:

Lara Croft! 08-08-09 18:42

I used to watch it when I was a kid. Fun anime...

Mokono 08-08-09 18:42

I'm officially in... Being that episode when Sailor Venus disguised as Sailor Moon to clear suspects my favorite from the entire saga... It was aired here in late 90's. SM also counted with it's official SNES set of games; if i'm not mistaken, there was an adictive RPG along with action and fighting games... Oh, and i really like your Luna avatar.

Drone 08-08-09 18:43

I remember the series, they were quite predictable but still nice.

rowanlim 08-08-09 18:47

I have to say this:

I HATE the anime. The dubbing was awful & the story...it wasn't faithful to the manga, even Naoko (the author) said so.

BUT...

I LOVE the manga. So much substance compared to the anime.

There's scans of artbooks here, very beautiful, I noticed Naoko made the features sharper towards the end of the series, but it's all good work :tmb:

Finally a Sailor Moon thread! Eternal Moon Power! :ohn: :yah:

Atlantisfreak666 08-08-09 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowanlim (Post 3906204)
I LOVE the manga. So much substance compared to the anime.

There's scans of artbooks here, very beautiful, I noticed Naoko made the features sharper towards the end of the series, but it's all good work :tmb:

Finally a Sailor Moon thread! Eternal Moon Power! :ohn: :yah:

Oh, I so want to read the manga.
:D

rowanlim 08-08-09 18:53

^That's a wise choice :D

You'd see how the anime is SO lacking! At least the characters look the same. Remember in the 1st season when Rei was attracted to Mamoru? That never happened in the manga!

But I suppose the anime had a good run, I never finished watching coz they stopped airing it in Malaysia after Sailormoon R :pi:

Indiana Croft 08-08-09 18:59

I loved this series when I was younger. I'd watch it now if I could find any DVDs of it

rowanlim 08-08-09 19:01

This begs the question to SM fans: who is your favorite Sailor? :D

My favorite is Sailor Pluto, but somehow I love drawing Sailor Neptune :D

Atlantisfreak666 08-08-09 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowanlim (Post 3906218)
^That's a wise choice :D

You'd see how the anime is SO lacking! At least the characters look the same. Remember in the 1st season when Rei was attracted to Mamoru? That never happened in the manga!

But I suppose the anime had a good run, I never finished watching coz they stopped airing it in Malaysia after Sailormoon R :pi:

Really? Heh, I didn't like that little storyline anyway. Usagi is supposed to be with Mamoru.

rowanlim 08-08-09 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantisfreak666 (Post 3906245)
Really? Heh, I didn't like that little storyline anyway. Usagi is supposed to be with Mamoru.

Yah, it was NEVER in the manga. I felt betrayed (coz I read the manga before I watched the anime) :pi:

Wow all this emotions spurting out of nowhere! You brought out the lonely Sailormoon fan in me! :D

Atlantisfreak666 08-08-09 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowanlim (Post 3906240)
This begs the question to SM fans: who is your favorite Sailor? :D

My favorite is Sailor Pluto, but somehow I love drawing Sailor Neptune :D

My favorite Sailor is either Sailor Mercury or Jupiter.

Thanks for the PM, rowanlim.
:D

Yuna´s Wish 08-08-09 19:16

When I was younger, my favourite sailor was Sailor Jupiter, Makoto. I loved her strength and her appearance. Having rewatched all the episodes in youtube a couple of years ago (Youtube hurts your eyes, it´s not quite advisable, heh) I must say it´s Sailor Moon, Usagi. All her words and actions got much deeper into me when I was older :tmb:

rowanlim 08-08-09 19:16

No prob (bout the PM), I'm glad I found someone to share it with! :D

The manga is awesome, Naoko inserts cute messages & little bunnies...Sigh :D

EDIT:

@Yuna: Yeah one of the best part of the series is Usagi's transformation from a clumsy teen into a woman assuming her power & place as protector & princess, & eventually, queen :tmb:

Yuna´s Wish 08-08-09 19:21

^ Oh, definitely. It took her a millennia, but she got to do it :p

I liked the manga...but I was unable to appreciate the love and friendship that the anime version exerted. Even in the final arcs I couldn´t appreciate how devastated Sailor Moon should have been with all her friends dying one by one. On the other hand, the sailors´ deaths in the anime have always shown a traumatised Usagi (especially in the first season, with Usagi´s eyes going blank while sitting on the ice and watching Rei and the others die).

rowanlim 08-08-09 19:29

I didn't see the anime after Sailor moon R (they stopped airing it in Malaysia then), so I'm not sure how the story was like. Though I believe towards the end, Naoko did express her disappointment but would not stand in the producers' way if the fans are still okay with the anime. I can't find the exact quote for what I highlighted in bold, but this quote also mentions her disappointment:

Quote:

In the manga, they (Sailor Neptune & Sailor Uranus) are simply women disguised as men, and rumor has it that Takeuchi was not happy with the choice to make them bi-gendered for the anime

Eleana 08-08-09 19:35

Love for this thread! :D

My favourite was Rei all growing up, but I have new found love for Usagi.

Didn't Mixx publish the English version of the manga? I'm sure you can buy it online if anyone hasn't read it. :hug:

The english dub was terrible as a rule, but I enjoyed the anime all the same. (Perhaps there were a few too many fillers)

PGSM was cute too. Not as much substence, but enjoyable enough to watch.

rowanlim 08-08-09 19:37

I read the Malay version (Malay is the national language here), then the publishers stopped selling it :( I only own volume 8, 11 & 18, I read the rest via a friend (borrowed her volumes).

My favorite part of reading the manga was perusing through the posters & trying to draw 'em out. Fun times :tmb:

Eleana 08-08-09 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowanlim (Post 3906276)
I didn't see the anime after Sailor moon R (they stopped airing it in Malaysia then), so I'm not sure how the story was like. Though I believe towards the end, Naoko did express her disappointment but would not stand in the producers' way if the fans are still okay with the anime. I can't find the exact quote for what I highlighted in bold, but this quote also mentions her disappointment:

I thought she said this about the Sailor Starlights? I could be wrong, I'm such a rusted moonie. I remember also reading that the anime had a more male influence because most of the staff were male. The Manga is alot more elegant and delicate. :)

rowanlim 08-08-09 19:41

^Yeah I actually remembered it was about the Starlights, but I couldn't find the link where I read that bit :p

Yuna´s Wish 08-08-09 20:40

When the anime aired here in my country, the voice of Haruka (Sailor Uranus) was that of a man in the latino dubbing version :p I never realized how controversial her fondness for Michiru was until much, much later, when I watched the Japanese episodes :o

miss.haggard 08-08-09 20:45

The theme song gets stuck in my head soooooooo often :D Mars was my favorite I think.

Mai 08-08-09 22:46

Sailor Moon <3

Venus and Saturn were always my favorite. I also liked Tin Nyanko too :)

Marianna12 08-08-09 22:48

You brought back memories!!! I used to watch it when I was 6-7 years old!
One of my fave!!!:o:hug:

Johnnay 08-08-09 22:52

yeah i remember this

i love the main theme music

rowanlim 09-08-09 02:30

The theme song is nice, it's still stuck in my head after so long :D

(well bits & pieces of it)

I prefer the Japanese original song :D

This site has sound clips from the show :)

erosan 09-08-09 04:37

About time someone made a thread for this!
My favorite has and always will be Sailor Mars ^_^ She's just so awesome. The english dub kills my ears and whoever directed that crap should be shot :/

Atlantisfreak666 09-08-09 12:10

Love @ the theme song.
:hug:

mizuno_suisei 09-08-09 12:54

WOOOOT Sailor Moon! :tmb: Love that anime. Actually bought all 5 seasons and all 3 movies on DVD about two months ago and finished it all within a week hehe. Love Sailor Neptune, she is just awesome, she doesnt have much air-time, but I love her so much, so pretty <3

rowanlim 09-08-09 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantisfreak666 (Post 3907871)
Love @ the theme song.
:hug:

I finally got the Japanese version. So nice...Aww the memories! :tmb: :)

Atlantisfreak666 09-08-09 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by erosan (Post 3907427)
About time someone made a thread for this!
My favorite has and always will be Sailor Mars ^_^ She's just so awesome. The english dub kills my ears and whoever directed that crap should be shot :/

Lol, I actually really like the English dub. The Japanese version is better though.

ultima espio 09-08-09 16:04

Aaaaahhhh Sailor moon get out of my head:hea::hea:

It's been in my mind the past few days, and now i see a topic about it...freaky:p:p

Shark_Blade 09-08-09 17:09

Like it during my childhood. Now I watched it and it's all a bit tacky lol. :p

I mean seriously the Tuxedo Mask guy just came, shoot a red rose and motivate Sailormoon not to give up and then gone in most of the episodes? I don't understand why she fell for such a guy lmao.

rowanlim 09-08-09 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultima espio (Post 3908347)
Aaaaahhhh Sailor moon get out of my head:hea::hea:

It's been in my mind the past few days, and now i see a topic about it...freaky:p:p

It's an omen :mis:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Blade (Post 3908484)

I mean seriously the Tuxedo Mask guy just came, shoot a red rose and motivate Sailormoon not to give up and then gone in most of the episodes? I don't understand why she fell for such a guy lmao.

Yeah I agree with you, I don't understand why she'd fall for Mamoru (in the anime).

But in the manga? I myself was crazy about it. The hair...The smooth manner...

*sigh*

Atlantisfreak666 10-08-09 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Blade (Post 3908484)

Lol, totally. The rose was completely pointless.

Melonie Tomb Raider 10-08-09 18:08

I loooooooved this show when I was a kid. Ahhh the memories :D

Sailor Mars was my favorite, I wanted to be her so bad. :vlol:

young Lara Croft 10-08-09 18:40

When I was little I was a huge Sailor Moon fan ! I watched the series and all of the anime films !
:tmb: my fave sailor warriors were Sailor Moon, Sailor Saturn and Sailor Uranus

Reggie 10-08-09 19:14

Sailor Moon S and Sailor Stars were the best seasons, the others had too much filler or in the case of Sailor Moon Super S, too cheesy/cutesy even for me. Favourite Villains are Nephrite and Kaori Nite - the Witches 5 weren't too bad but they presided over way too much filler as did the dark moon sisters (they were called that right...its been a while). Favourite protagonists are the Outer Sailor soldiers. And yeah, the dub is painful to listen to but luckily the subs are easto come by on Youtube, its also good japanese practice in some ways. :)

miss.haggard 10-08-09 19:16

Did anyone else have the little plastic wand, that made the sounds and I think played the theme song? ... I did :)