www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Comics (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   New Tomb Raider Post-Rise Comic Series (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=212437)

Heidi_w_ 08-10-15 20:18

New Tomb Raider Post-Rise Comic Series
 
Yes!!

Publisher: DARK HORSE COMICS

(W) Mariko Tamaki (A) Phillip Sevy (CA) Agustin Alessio

After Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lara Croft's adventure continues in a new comic series by Eisner Award winning writer Mariko Tamaki (This One Summer)!

Lara Croft is pursuing a lost truth about the world that just might unlock the secret to defeating death! She becomes entangled in a search for a rare mushroom said to grant immortality and a lethal new enemy that just won't die!

o Continuing where the Rise of the Tomb Raider game left off!


http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...ider-ii-series

Was nervous about a new writer taking over from Rhianna, but much of what she had to say thrilled me, so I'm feeling less anxious ;)

First cover:


http://s10.postimg.org/v7cylzl4l/Lara_56.jpg

Sample art:

http://s16.postimg.org/oortxa5a9/Lara_57.jpg

Mariko Tamaki's blog: http://marikotamaki.blogspot.ca/

Interview with Mariko: http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...ider-ii-series

Philip Sevy's DeviantArt page: http://thecreatorhd.deviantart.com/

Frankiki 08-10-15 20:23

Hopefully it will be more cohesive than the last series. As much as I liked it, it really was a whole bunch of "nothing".

EliParker 08-10-15 20:25

I understand if the comic came out Feb 2017. So in theory only Xbox owners would have finished ROTR and be able to enjoy the new comic book series.

My wishlist:
  • A better story
  • Better artwork
  • Zero continunity issues between games, novel, and comics
  • I would like them to try a comic book similar to MadeFire comics

VictorXD 08-10-15 20:30

Ooooh my gaaawd, it's gonna suck so baaad :eek: I can smell the flop from 5.000 miles away.


The artwork looks amazing though, I love it.

Zebra 08-10-15 21:28

Quote:

Lara's friends are part of what make her adventures complex beyond just, 'Where is the door to this tomb? Oh, here it is.' They are the human element. They are something to lose, or fight for, or protect beyond whatever inanimate object is in the tomb.
Here we go again *sigh*...

Portugalraider 08-10-15 21:28

Nice! While the first arc was really meh (especially considering it was written by Gail Simone), I really liked the second and third arc! Hope the new series continues to improve further more!

As for a artist, I really liked Derlis Santacruz art (the one from the first half of the second arc and the entire third arc). Honestly, when the comic looked a bit wonky, I thought it was more of the inker's fault. So, bring Santacruz back and hire a new, better inker!

Shark_Blade 08-10-15 21:30

Sounds like another crap.

PallasAthene 08-10-15 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebra (Post 7461529)
Here we go again *sigh*...

Yeah, that was kind of my reaction. I liked some of the comics when Rhianna was writing them, but if it's just going to go back to being about protecting and rescuing friends (especially she who must not be named)...

BluenoseGames 08-10-15 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebra (Post 7461529)
Here we go again *sigh*...

Looks that way...:hea:

Portugalraider 08-10-15 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebra (Post 7461529)
Here we go again *sigh*...

Well better in the comics than in the games! I mean, the comics would be a bit boring if Lara was the only character...

Quote:

Originally Posted by PallasAthene (Post 7461535)
Yeah, that was kind of my reaction. I liked some of the comics when Rhianna was writing them, but if it's just going to go back to being about protecting and rescuing friends (especially she who must not be named)...

Who? Sa... (ground starts shaking)

Frankiki 08-10-15 21:45

Yeah, games are better with the focus on Lara. Comics needs character interaction or it'll be Lara just chatting to herself.

Daring Do 08-10-15 21:51

Oh boy I'm excited! :D More fun comics!

Rai 08-10-15 21:54

I posted the cover art in the TR comic thread:

http://i.imgur.com/i5OKIGk.jpg

May as well have it here as well.

Lara_Fan1 08-10-15 21:56

As long as Sa... stays in the comics and not in the game it's fine.

Zebra 08-10-15 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 7461539)
Well better in the comics than in the games! I mean, the comics would be a bit boring if Lara was the only character...

I'm not suggesting that Lara be the only character but there are other ways to include character interaction into the story than having Lara constantly rescue and protect her friends.

Enya Brennan 08-10-15 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebra (Post 7461553)
I'm not suggesting that Lara be the only character but there are other ways to include character interaction into the story than having Lara constantly rescue and protect her friends.

Indeed.

---

I loved the last arc, Rhi works better alone. I want them to introduce the Roanoke story arc, if they decide not to include it in some game. That would be promising.

tomblover 09-10-15 05:27

I still haven't read all of the (uninspired, so far as I've read) first arc -- and the Ten Thousand Immortals novel was a right sleeping pill. Accordingly skeptical about this... :vlol:

Bomb Fighter 09-10-15 05:29

that artwork is beautiful!
Let's just hope the artworl is LC comics quality and not TR1.
All that talk about Lara's friends is making me worried tho.
Does this mean we get two comics in February? Issue 5 of LC and issue 1 of TR2?

BigR4444 09-10-15 07:32

Sounds great.... continue Laras storyline after the events of RotTR...

...Too bad the vast majority of TR fans wont have the opportunity to play the game beforehand...


:facepalm:

Shark_Blade 09-10-15 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigR4444 (Post 7461661)
Sounds great.... continue Laras storyline after the events of RotTR...

...Too bad the vast majority of TR fans wont have the opportunity to play the game beforehand...


:facepalm:

I know right. :rolleyes:

Patrick star 09-10-15 07:50

The comics don't exist for me , so ..:p

The cover is nice though , even if it reminds me of the cradle of life :ponder:

TheRCroft 09-10-15 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigR4444 (Post 7461661)
Sounds great.... continue Laras storyline after the events of RotTR...

...Too bad the vast majority of TR fans wont have the opportunity to play the game beforehand...


:facepalm:

It will already have been released on the only platform that matters, the gift from the heavens that is the Xbox. :specialsnowflake:

Portugalraider 09-10-15 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblover (Post 7461641)
I still haven't read all of the (uninspired, so far as I've read) first arc -- and the Ten Thousand Immortals novel was a right sleeping pill. Accordingly skeptical about this... :vlol:

Honestly, don't bother with the first arc. Go right to the second. You just need to know that Lara finds a pocket watch that belonged to Alex. Nothing more.

OrangeFr3ak 09-10-15 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai (Post 7461549)
I posted the cover art in the TR comic thread:

[ig]http://i.imgur.com/i5OKIGk.jpg[/img]

May as well have it here as well.

Those Terracotta Warriors though. Safe to say it could bethe first Emperor of China's tomb since it hasn't been excavated or even found in reality.

_Ninja_ 09-10-15 14:19

The continuity is always going to have problems. Because the games have to stand on their own in terms story and character progression.

The comics therefore have little opportunity for development and have the risk of being completely ignored in the games.

Rise for example picks off where TR2013 left the character. The fact Lara has already had a number of adventures since in the comics wont matter in the game.

tombstone 09-10-15 14:27

Wonder if they'll mention the queens imprisonment. :D

_Ninja_ 09-10-15 14:37

Probably in a some journal entry.

Mikky 09-10-15 15:13

I can barely contain my excitement.

WWETombRaider 09-10-15 15:16

I'm still waiting on Vol 3 to be released for the comics. Don't think I'll be reading these though.

Rai 09-10-15 23:11

An interview with Mariko, where she goes in slightly more detail.

Portugalraider 10-10-15 00:44

Nice interview, and while it seems Mariko is perhaps using Lara's friends a bit to the "Save me!" route (which we all don't like), it seems that she knows Lara is supposed to be tomb raiding across the globe, kicking ass and not swearing a lot, which is good.

While the comic's start wasn't that great, the story kept improving from arc to arc, and I hope Mariko keeps that quality-growing trend. I also hope the art gets an upgrade (or a better inker, since Santacruz pencils were actually great).

PallasAthene 10-10-15 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 7462218)
Nice interview, and while it seems Mariko is perhaps using Lara's friends a bit to the "Save me!" route (which we all don't like), it seems that she knows Lara is supposed to be tomb raiding across the globe, kicking ass and not swearing a lot, which is good.

Let's hope :tmb:

VictorXD 10-10-15 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 7462218)
Nice interview, and while it seems Mariko is perhaps using Lara's friends a bit to the "Save me!" route (which we all don't like), it seems that she knows Lara is supposed to be tomb raiding across the globe, kicking ass and not swearing a lot, which is good.

While the comic's start wasn't that great, the story kept improving from arc to arc, and I hope Mariko keeps that quality-growing trend. I also hope the art gets an upgrade (or a better inker, since Santacruz pencils were actually great).

Well if she didn't, she'd be retarded :p
The title is TOMB RAIDER afterall, not Friend Rescuer. Wish someone would have told that to Gail and Riahnna.

I'm soooo ready about how bad and cringeworthy these comics are gonna be.

Mr GaGa 10-10-15 19:27

The TR comics must have done really well on the market since they are bringing them back. I'm glad people enjoy reading Lara's adventures :jmp: .

I'm guessing these comics will lead into the third game and last until a few months before the release of TR3

Portugalraider 10-10-15 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorXD (Post 7462493)
Well if she didn't, she'd be retarded :p
The title is TOMB RAIDER afterall, not Friend Rescuer. Wish someone would have told that to Gail and Riahnna.

Well, since the comics are canon, Gail and Rhi were constrained by the "Rise is going to be Lara's first Raiding expedition" fact. Fortunately Nariko won't. (Although it still doesn't excuse Gail for that ridiculous 1st arc)

Enya Brennan 11-10-15 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 7462620)
(Although it still doesn't excuse Gail for that ridiculous 1st arc

Ikr! I still refuse to believe that she was the one who wrote it. I guess CD were who restricted her from an artistic standpoint, shortening the possibilities to Lara saving Sam again, but the whole thing was atrocious.

Portugalraider 11-10-15 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enya Brennan (Post 7462810)
Ikr! I still refuse to believe that she was the one who wrote it. I guess CD were who restricted her from an artistic standpoint, shortening the possibilities to Lara saving Sam again, but the whole thing was atrocious.

Still, the 2nd and 3rd act were also "Rescue Raider" in a sense, but way more interesting. At least, Kaz and Grim's brother didn't seem completely helpless (in fact, they actively participated in their own rescues), both arcs had interesting (and hopefully, in the case of the serpent queen, recurring) villains, and didn't have a "protagonist is the key to some magical mumbo jumbo" twist.

Evan C. 11-10-15 16:48

So happy !

AshesBorn 11-10-15 17:40

I don't read TR comics.
Still sucks that they feel the need to shoehorn Lara's problematic friends into them and base her motivations on that.
Nobody cares about her friends (Jonah's cool, though).

BigR4444 11-10-15 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr GaGa (Post 7462498)
The TR comics must have done really well on the market since they are bringing them back. I'm glad people enjoy reading Lara's adventures :jmp: .

Well, I was one of those people buying the new comics... but now, out of a combination of anger, and the comics continuing the story after RotTR; I wont be buying them this time around... How many more people out there feel the exact same way? Probably a lot...


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:42.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.