www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

James_Rutland 12-04-18 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukass (Post 7854552)
I'm replaying the reboot after two years. Feels weird....

I've been replaying TR2013 and have rediscovered my love for the game.

AimlessThunder 12-04-18 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_Rutland (Post 7854557)
I've been replaying TR2013 and have rediscovered my love for the game.

Same!

Such a beautiful game! :D

James_Rutland 12-04-18 10:14

I enjoyed the movie, but I actually think watching it made me appreciate TR2013 more. I missed it's darker tone, atmosphere, brutality and intense scenes. Also Lara was purely motivated by her own personal gain, not to find her father.

jajay119 12-04-18 10:59

Yes but Rise made her motivation all about her father which negates her motivation in the reboot to me. We’ve gone from an independent and dynamic Lara, who was only ever really there outside the game and in some minor cutscenes/notes, to someone who is once again motivated entirely by ‘blood ties’.

James_Rutland 12-04-18 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jajay119 (Post 7854574)
Yes but Rise made her motivation all about her father which negates her motivation in the reboot to me. We’ve gone from an independent and dynamic Lara, who was only ever really there outside the game and in some minor cutscenes/notes, to someone who is once again motivated entirely by ‘blood ties’.

Now see IMO even in Rise her motivation seemed for self gain. After 2013 she couldn't adjust to normal life. She had to find a purpose / excuse to throw herself into danger again for the thrill of adventure. That just happened to be off the back of her fathers tapes that she used to further her own research. She's also doing it to redeem her name after she's labelled a lunatic after 2013. You could argue that it's to redeem her whole family name but I think a lot of motivation of the game Lara is from herself not her parents.

biscuits 12-04-18 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jajay119 (Post 7854574)

It wasn't entirely about her father though. She also wanted to find answers and to make sense of what she encountered in Yamatai. Seeking knowledge and sating her curiosity was a big part of why she went to Siberia. She even says that after Jacob saves her from the river.

Portugalraider 12-04-18 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuits (Post 7854588)
It wasn't entirely about her father though. She also wanted to find answers and to make sense of what she encountered in Yamatai. Seeking knowledge and sating her curiosity was a big part of why she went to Siberia. She even says that after Jacob saves her from the river.

Yes, while I think this plot-point should perhaps be a bit more obvious, it is stated in RotTR that her trying to prove her father right was actually so she can prove that what she saw on Yamatai was real. On surface it may look like your typical "daughter wants to make daddy proud" but deep down that's just a façade for her real purpose.

biscuits 12-04-18 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 7854622)
Yes, while I think this plot-point should perhaps be a bit more obvious, it is stated in RotTR that her trying to prove her father right was actually so she can prove that what she saw on Yamatai was real. On surface it may look like your typical "daughter wants to make daddy proud" but deep down that's just a façade for her real purpose.

This.
People conveniently ignore that plot point and scream "HURR DURR!! DADDY ISSUES!!!"

Grimaldi 12-04-18 13:07

While I agree her daddy issues in Rise are exaggerated, I think emphasising her train of thought in this trailer would’ve gone a long way.

It’s a shame she doesn’t say anything similar in-game.

WWETombRaider 12-04-18 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukass (Post 7854552)
I'm replaying the reboot after two years. Feels weird....

I need to replay that game really soon. Haven't completed it again since 2013.