www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

tombstone 12-04-18 14:53

Just 14 more days hos. :jmp::jmp:

NoahCrofRaider 12-04-18 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShadowOfMe (Post 7854530)
Me too, but I'd rather have something "sandy" similar to the bike part in TRL (environment, not actual bikes :p).

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for too, if Peru does end up being in the game. :D

Linoshi Croft 12-04-18 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 7854622)
Yes, while I think this plot-point should perhaps be a bit more obvious, it is stated in RotTR that her trying to prove her father right was actually so she can prove that what she saw on Yamatai was real. On surface it may look like your typical "daughter wants to make daddy proud" but deep down that's just a façade for her real purpose.

Well, that's the issue, it wasn't obvious. Crystal chose to push Lara's father to the forefront and pushed any other motivations to the background.

For example...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimaldi (Post 7854635)
While I agree her daddy issues in Rise are exaggerated, I think emphasising her train of thought in this trailer would’ve gone a long way.



It’s a shame she doesn’t say anything similar in-game.

...and quite rightly put, we didn't really see this Lara in Rise. If this was the Lara Crystal wanted to convey they failed miserably and their poor writing is to blame and not the fact the audience can't see Lara as the character they wanted us to see.

Emix 12-04-18 17:41

Nicki in her new song "Chun-Li":

Quote:

Ayo, I been on, bitch you been conned
Bentley tints on, Fendi prints on
I mean I been Storm, X-Men Benz foreign
He keep on dialin' Nicki like the prints on
Ayo, I been on, bitch you been conned
Bentley tints on, Fendi prints on
Ayo, I been off, Lara been Croft
Plates say Chun-Li, drop the Benz off


tombstone 12-04-18 17:47

Nicki tryn capitalize on the success of ready player one I c. :pi:

Portugalraider 12-04-18 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 7854722)
Well, that's the issue, it wasn't obvious. Crystal chose to push Lara's father to the forefront and pushed any other motivations to the background.

For example...



...and quite rightly put, we didn't really see this Lara in Rise. If this was the Lara Crystal wanted to convey they failed miserably and their poor writing is to blame and not the fact the audience can't see Lara as the character they wanted us to see.

Wouldn't blame the writing, but perhaps the directing team or CD as a whole. If Rhianna and her writing team had her way, we wouldn't even have father plot to begin with. They were force to add it. And in my opinion, they did the best they could within their limitations. I'd guess CD were the ones who kept asking for the father plot to be most centred in Lara's self realization. And that within those limitations the writers still were able to make somehow clear that Lara's going through her father's research was deep down for her own personal gain is to praise for.

But that's the overall writing on RotTR: it's filled with moments and subtexts that tease a much better, compelling and complex story buried within the simpler, less interesting story that was demanded and was what we got.

And this is coming from someone who actually liked the story in RotTR and mostly liked how it was written. But perhaps what attracts me more is those subtexts and not the story itself.

AntRaidsTombs 12-04-18 17:56

Ah Nicki that’s my girl :)

Chamayoo 12-04-18 20:05

Oh now there's already more posts in Shadow section than The Last Revelation one.

Athukraz 12-04-18 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamayoo (Post 7854879)
Oh now there's already more posts in Shadow section than The Last Revelation one.

Cause of puzzle percentages :p

Linoshi Croft 12-04-18 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 7854747)
Wouldn't blame the writing, but perhaps the directing team or CD as a whole. If Rhianna and her writing team had her way, we wouldn't even have father plot to begin with. They were force to add it. And in my opinion, they did the best they could within their limitations. I'd guess CD were the ones who kept asking for the father plot to be most centred in Lara's self realization.

Personally, I would take anything Rhianna Pratchett says with a pinch a salt and you have to consider she was introduced within the development process extremely late on. So, of course she was limited because a lot of the core concepts would of been already set in stone. Additionally, sure she had some good ideas but she also had a lot of questionable ones which divide a lot of the fan base (Lara's sexuality and mental state etc.).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 7854747)
And that within those limitations the writers still were able to make somehow clear that Lara's going through her father's research was deep down for her own personal gain is to praise for.

I whole heartedly disagree, I don't think this is clear at all and is mostly people seeing something they want to see. Sure, Lara clearly has some interest in what she's doing i.e studying languages and archaeology. However, this is trumped by the fact her main motivation after the story arc of Rise (which mostly dealt with the daddy plot) didn't divert to Lara going on these adventures for the hell of it and because she enjoyed them but the dull and mundane motivation that she has to do these things because they're the right thing to do. Is this another facade, is there always going to be another facade to her 'real' motivations?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 7854747)
But that's the overall writing on RotTR: it's filled with moments and subtexts that tease a much better, compelling and complex story buried within the simpler, less interesting story that was demanded and was what we got.

And this is coming from someone who actually liked the story in RotTR and mostly liked how it was written. But perhaps what attracts me more is those subtexts and not the story itself.

What you say here pretty much backs up my point that this aspect is not relayed to the audience clearly, if you hide these things in tiny minute details you're really not doing the character your trying to write any justice.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.