www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

Portugalraider 13-04-18 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanosCroft (Post 7855435)
Like TR1 (but not only) defined the PS1 era, that's what I'm saying, which ROTTR missed this mark, so TR2013.

And it a PS1 defining game not only because it was great, but because it set the standard for 3D actions games and became the game the game to copy, perfect and beat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 7855438)
It would be almost impossible to TR to define an era now. TR isn't as popular as many franchises, such as Grand Theft Auto, Call of Dutty, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, etc.

Franchise popularity has nothing to do with it, unless that franchise makes something truly unique. If it were the case, Nier:Automata wouldn't be anywhere near the "Defining Game" category :p

Lukass 13-04-18 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 7855438)
It would be almost impossible to TR to define an era now. TR isn't as popular as many franchises, such as Grand Theft Auto, Call of Dutty, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, etc.

This is sad truth. Although many many many people (even non-players) still understand Lara Croft as the queen of video game industry. I remember the times when there were not bigger games than Tomb Raider. I want that back.

James_Rutland 13-04-18 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukass (Post 7855445)
This is sad truth. Although many many many people (even non-players) still understand Lara Croft as the queen of video game industry. I remember the times when there were not bigger games than Tomb Raider. I want that back.

That was only the case until like 1998 :p

Lukass 13-04-18 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_Rutland (Post 7855447)
That was only the case until like 1998 :p

Wasn't it longer? Until TR4?

Vaskito 13-04-18 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukass (Post 7855455)
Wasn't it longer? Until TR4?

I think TR started to decline popularity by TR4, because the games were getting stale (please mind I love TR4)

tombstone 13-04-18 12:33

It did, after tr3 them hormonal teens grew out of the franchise and started getting girlfriends. XD

Ellioft 13-04-18 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 7855463)
I think TR started to decline popularity by TR4, because the games were getting stale (please mind I love TR4)

I think it was with TR III but we talk about the popularity of the games not Lara of course and in the same year TRII was released you forget another game was praised, Final Fantasy VII.

Lara as a pop culture sensation helped the games to sell.

Talking about TRII everytime I saw this game mentioned all I see from the peoples commentary was about locking Winston in the freezer was fun, or Venice was cool but other than that nothing else.

WWETombRaider 13-04-18 13:20

^ Among fans that played TR2? The entire game has been exhausted and talked about. Especially on here. For others who are more casual, those were the memorable moments of the game. Similar to how the T-Rex gets brought up in TR1.

Vaskito 13-04-18 14:00

I'll take TR 3 over TR 2 any day of the week.
I can't see the appeal people find with it, but it's a matter of taste, I guess

Lukass 13-04-18 14:08

^ Yup, my favourite is TR III too.