www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

biscuits 18-04-18 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 7857845)
Love it. A pose which is strong and confident but also quite feminine, stronger-looking face, duals, backpack. Add her confident and witty antihero personality, with a voice more reminiscent of what she used to have, and I'm satisfied to call her Croft.

See, I don't need an exact replica of 90s Lara. This is literally all I want.

This makes me think that Crystal initially didn't intend to stretch her origin story across three games. Why else whoud they show her dual wield the pistols by the end of the game? There was also that concept art that show Lara's pants getting ripped to where they resemble shorts.

Vaskito 18-04-18 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluenoseGames (Post 7857847)
I was just thinking about this early, the grapple axe looks just silly. I hope we get a proper grapple this time around.

I think it looks more realistic than the magnetic one Lara had in LAU, which was dependent on specific surfaces for it to attach to, whereas the grapple axe grabs into anything

Yeauxleaux 18-04-18 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuits (Post 7857848)
This makes me think that Crystal initially didn't intend to stretch her origin story across three games. Why else whoud they show her dual wield the pistols by the end of the game? There was also that concept art that show Lara's pants getting ripped to where they resemble shorts.

I guess they toyed with different ideas of how they wanted to make her resemble Lara more, I'm not sure at this point though.

I don't know what's going on with them. Is there just so much conflict within the team about what they want for Lara that they can't agree on anything, and the result is very generic and falls short of the vision? It's so confusing what their actual aims are with this character.

biscuits 18-04-18 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 7857850)
I guess they toyed with different ideas of how they wanted to make her resemble Lara more, I'm not sure at this point though.

I don't know what's going on with them. Is there just so much conflict within the team about what they want for Lara that they can't agree on anything, and the result is very generic and falls short of the vision? It's so confusing what their actual aims are with this character.

It's why I take everything Crystal says with a pinch of salt. You have some members saying "forget everything you know about Lara Croft" and then you have other members advertising how Lara would become who she's meant to be and how she'd turn into the Lara that we know and love.
Their PR statements are all over the place.

Vaskito 18-04-18 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuits (Post 7857851)
It's why I take everything Crystal says with a pinch of salt. You have some members saying "forget everything you know about Lara Croft" and then you have other members advertising how Lara would become who she's meant to be and how she'd turn into the Lara that we know and love.

I think those PR statements were made regarding the specific game being released at the time, and not at the whole trioligy

Yeauxleaux 18-04-18 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuits (Post 7857851)

Yeah I know what you mean. I find it contradictory because on one hand it's "Reboot. Forget what you know..." to justify how different Lara is, then in the next breath it's arguments trying to say "look she's similar to old Lara because of x, y and z" when she's really not.

Make your minds up really... I think that's part of the reason the discussions are so circular on here and don't really go anywhere. A critic of reboot gets one of those two things thrown at them, then when they counter it they get the other, then it's rinse repeat.

Princess_Paige 18-04-18 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 7857859)
Yeah I know what you mean. I find it contradictory because on one hand it's "Reboot. Forget what you know..." to justify how different Lara is, then in the next breath it's arguments trying to say "look she's similar to old Lara because of x, y and z" when she's really not.

Make your minds up really... I think that's part of the reason the discussions are so circular on here and don't really go anywhere. A critic of reboot gets one of those two things thrown at them, then when they counter it they get the other, then it's rinse repeat.

I really have to disagree, most of the arguments on here are caused by people who are solely “classic fans.” People will be discussing something pertaining to the reboot, then bam! Nasty comments about the reboot, then the arguments start

Hazelphoenix 18-04-18 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 7857859)

This is actually a pretty valid argument and I'm glad someone else noticed how confusing and contradictory their PR statements can get, which always led to me believe that this was the main reason why the fandom itself can't get along on this particular subject to begin with. I mean, it almost looks as though they're desperately trying to feed both "sides" in an attempt to satisfy everyone, yet the results leave a lot do be desidered, first and foremost because they are starting to let down not only die-hard classic fans for obvious reasons, but also partly newcomers who grew attached to the reboot universe.

After Rise came out, I've stumbled across a lot of complaints coming from passionate reboot fans who felt that Rise Lara made a few step backwards in terms of character development, they were also lamenting Sam's absence and blaming CD for not taking narrative risks when they "started out on the right track with the first game". Now, it seems rather obvious to me that Rise Lara was a slight shift towards a more classic-oriented attitude, which ended up disappointing a lot of fans on both sides. This created a futher division in the community, with fans of the 2013 game exclusively, fans of the entire reboot era, and fans of the classics. This will go on if they don't make up their minds real fast, and it probably won't end up well in the long run.

Ultimately, they'll have to make a choice and someone will inevitably be left behind, but at the very least this whole "yes, forget everything" "wait, actually no, hold the line, this will become the Lara you love" nonsense won't leave everyone hanging in the constant hope to see their favourite iteration of the character shine through.

Of course some "annoying" classic fans still stick around, you can't really blame them after being told to wait in line for three games, just like you can't really blame Reboot fans for asking Sam and other characters back when CD initially focused on the "friendly" side of Lara that appealed to them.

They just need to be more transparent with their intentions, imo.

Vaskito 18-04-18 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess_Paige (Post 7857917)
I really have to disagree, most of the arguments on here are caused by people who are solely “classic fans.” People will be discussing something pertaining to the reboot, then bam! Nasty comments about the reboot, then the arguments start

I feel the same way about this. And it's underwhelming, because it feels like it's a crime to praise antying related to the reboot era, Camilla, CD/SE.
This toxic attitude has already made me step out of the forums once

Stevo505 18-04-18 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess_Paige (Post 7857917)

Unfortunately this is true. And it’s sad, because I won’t step into the classic games’ forums and tell everyone the reboot is better and make a list of what they could have done better in the 90s.