www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

Daft Raider 11-11-19 04:43

I’m replaying Shadow and is there supposed to be music playing during the tsunami? It’s completely quiet during this section for me and it feels very off.

EDIT: lmfao... this is.... so bad...

*Lara causes an entire town to be destroyed and hundreds are dead because of her, Lara also just watched a child fall to their death*

Also Lara:

“I FAILED, DOMINGUEZ HAS THE DAGGER I FAILED TRINITY HAS THE DAGGER I GAVE THEM EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANTED. WE HAVE TO GET TO THE HIDDEN CITY. WE HAVE TO LEAVE ME ME ME!!! ;_;”

*Kourtney voice*

Lara... there’s people that are dying

I also don’t understand why Jonah said “you don’t know that you caused this!” When she literally did... lmao. Oh Shadow.. :facepalm:

iWANEX 11-11-19 06:00

I'm more interested in knowing if you're enjoying something about the game.

Regarding your complaints, the story is telling you how Lara's tunnel vision is messing everything up. She's too focused on her goal the she's becoming more reckless and selfish than usual (to the point of not even caring about her own wounds -the leg one from the beginning-). You can tell she cares about what she just caused, though. Her expression after fighting with Jonah and seeing the horror that's happening in front of her is pretty clear. She also has a new reason to stop trinity as soon as possible. They're trying to remake the world. The more she stays, the worse for everyone. The cool thing about that scene is that you understand where both of them are coming from.

Jonah doesn't know if she's really responsible of everything or not. Lara "knows" but only because of what Dominguez said to her. And because she had "a feeling". Still, it's normal for Jonah to tell her to cut the crap, that she doesn't even know if she caused all of that and that not everything revolves around her. Also, their relationship was a little upside down because of what happened in the comics so it's only natural for Jonah to just snap like he did.

VictorXD 11-11-19 08:09

^ Nice write up.

I mean, is it really hard to believe that Jonah was skeptical about the tsunami bring related to the dagger at first? Between believing that it was a random natural disaster and believing that your best friend just killed thousands of innocent people accidentally because of a magical artifact, it becomes pretty obvious when you write it down why Jonah would chose to believe the first option.

SoraSakai 11-11-19 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daft Raider (Post 8150936)
Iím replaying Shadow and is there supposed to be music playing during the tsunami? Itís completely quiet during this section for me and it feels very off.

EDIT: lmfao... this is.... so bad...

*Lara causes an entire town to be destroyed and hundreds are dead because of her, Lara also just watched a child fall to their death*

Also Lara:

ďI FAILED, DOMINGUEZ HAS THE DAGGER I FAILED TRINITY HAS THE DAGGER I GAVE THEM EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANTED. WE HAVE TO GET TO THE HIDDEN CITY. WE HAVE TO LEAVE ME ME ME!!! ;_;Ē

*Kourtney voice*

Lara... thereís people that are dying

I also donít understand why Jonah said ďyou donít know that you caused this!Ē When she literally did... lmao. Oh Shadow.. :facepalm:

Dunno. This sounds disingenuous somehow.

I also donít believe there was no music playing during the tsunami scene unless you turned it off in settings. Not trying to be rude or anything. Iím basing this on absolutely nothing, itís just a vibe. This whole post reads as you wanting to complain about it rather than you actually just having a complaint.

Daft Raider 11-11-19 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by iWANEX (Post 8150937)
I'm more interested in knowing if you're enjoying something about the game.

Im enjoying the Tombs in Shadow, that’s probably my favorite thing about it. The puzzles and the Tombs are the best in the trilogy.

Quote:

Regarding your complaints, the story is telling you how Lara's tunnel vision is messing everything up. She's too focused on her goal the she's becoming more reckless and selfish than usual (to the point of not even caring about her own wounds -the leg one from the beginning-). You can tell she cares about what she just caused, though. Her expression after fighting with Jonah and seeing the horror that's happening in front of her is pretty clear. She also has a new reason to stop trinity as soon as possible. They're trying to remake the world. The more she stays, the worse for everyone. The cool thing about that scene is that you understand where both of them are coming from.

Yeah, I can definitely tell she’s extremely reckless, but there has been no point so far after the tsunami where she seemed like she cared at all about what just happened to those people in Cozumel. She doesn’t once comment on the dying people around her on the rooftop, she doesn’t even bother to help anyone. She just slumps down by herself and wallows I’m self pity. Yeah she has a horrified look on her face, but does she care? Doesn’t seem like it. Jonah seems to care though, all he can talk about on the plane after are the horrible things that just happened. But all Lara can talk about is the dagger and the riddle.

Basically the entire conversation on the plane:

Jonah: “I can’t get the images of those people out of my head-“

Lara: “Yeah.... ANYWAY! So the pink fish riddle~”

Like what the ****? That cutscene shows she doesn’t give a **** about those people, She uses all of the people dying in Cozumel as a manipulation tool to get Jonah on board with her.

Quote:

Jonah doesn't know if she's really responsible of everything or not. Lara "knows" but only because of what Dominguez said to her. And because she had "a feeling". Still, it's normal for Jonah to tell her to cut the crap, that she doesn't even know if she caused all of that and that not everything revolves around her. Also, their relationship was a little upside down because of what happened in the comics so it's only natural for Jonah to just snap like he did.

Lara reads the mural that describes several major destructive events, one being a tsunami. She read these to Jonah, and Jonah warns her to not take the dagger. She even tells Jonah to get to higher ground after she takes the dagger because she knows what’s coming, Jonah knows too because of the reaction he gives after Lara says this. It’s not hard to piece together that the tsunami is happening because of Lara’s decision to take the dagger. But then after this suddenly they can’t be sure if she really caused it? This is just another case of video game characters acting idiotic for the sake of the plot.

I laughed out loud when she tried to justify everything and say that tremors are common, but it’s not like gigantic tsunamis that happen out of no where are an every other month occurrence. It’s ridiculous for anyone to think otherwise, and for Jonah to constantly excuse the reckless crap Lara does undermines the story they’re trying to tell. Stuff like this is exactly the reason why reboot Lara is a Mary Sue character. No matter what she does it’s never truly her fault, it’s infuriating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoraSakai (Post 8150954)
Dunno. This sounds disingenuous somehow.

I also don’t believe there was no music playing during the tsunami scene unless you turned it off in settings. Not trying to be rude or anything. I’m basing this on absolutely nothing, it’s just a vibe. This whole post reads as you wanting to complain about it rather than you actually just having a complaint.

Oh look, Sora doesn’t believe someone, that’s a surprise! I actually saved the video clip and can upload it sometime tomorrow if you’d like, so you can make an ass out of yourself again for no reason.

SoraSakai 11-11-19 08:24

I said I was basing my opinion on nothing. It was just a vibe I got.

xspacedude 11-11-19 08:24

Ok then, so let’s just throw away the fact that denial is not a thing a character can feel.

Edit: there’s no music until Lara get out of the submerged foodtruck.

Btw I got the same vibe as you Sora.

SoraSakai 11-11-19 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by xspacedude (Post 8150959)
Ok then, so letís just throw away the fact that denial is not a thing a character can feel.

Right?
Always thought her changing subject back to the pink fish riddle was because she was uncomfortable with accountability.

VictorXD 11-11-19 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daft Raider (Post 8150955)
Im enjoying the Tombs in Shadow, that’s probably my favorite thing about it. The puzzles and the Tombs are the best in the trilogy.

They are without a doubt the best part of the game and a massive improvement over the previous games, even if I personally wish they were and featured more than one puzzle room.

The sheer amount of them makes up for it though.

Quote:

Yeah, I can definitely tell she’s extremely reckless, but there has been no point so far after the tsunami where she seemed like she cared at all about what just happened to those people in Cozumel. She doesn’t once comment on the dying people around her on the rooftop, she doesn’t even bother to help anyone. She just slumps down by herself and wallows I’m self pity. Yeah she has a horrified look on her face, but does she care? Doesn’t seem like it. Jonah seems to care though, all he can talk about on the plane after are the horrible things that just happened. But all Lara can talk about is the dagger and the riddle.
According to people who read the book, Lara does help out in the tsunami, but it happens off screen.
And Lara really does have a point, the only way to actually put an end to the cataclysms and avoiding things get even worse with Trinity having such massive power is to keep going and not dwell on the suffering she has brought.

But we are supposed to feel like "wth Lara?" Even though she has a point.

Quote:

Lara reads the mural that describes several major destructive events, one being a tsunami. She read these to Jonah, and Jonah warns her to not take the dagger. She even tells Jonah to get to higher ground after she takes the dagger because she knows what’s coming, Jonah knows too because of the reaction he gives after Lara says this. It’s not hard to piece together that the tsunami is happening because of Lara’s decision to take the dagger. But then after this suddenly they can’t be sure if she really caused it? This is just another case of video game characters acting idiotic for the sake of the plot.
People lie to themselves and hope they are wrong in worst case scenarios. I don't see what's so hard to believe about that.

Vaskito 11-11-19 08:37

The purpose of all of those scenes, where Lara is dismissive and doesn't even stop and thinks about what's happening at the exact moment, is exactly to show her current state of mind - and "The Nightmare" is EXACTLY a visual representation of her mind. That's what's happening in her head over and over, as she tries to shut it down, and "just keep moving" - the advice Roth gave her, which became her drive since she was young when he first taught her that.
It all finally hits her at the Oil Refinery though. The destruction and loss she's caused, both with all the innocent people from Cozumel and Kuwaq, as well as Jonah - "I'm making everything worse".

This was also explained by writers in multiple interviews - that this is made to show her laser focus mentality, disregarding everything but her objective, therefore making her actions and motives being questionable