www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

Portugalraider 12-12-19 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swiz19 (Post 8158289)
Based on what?

TRA, which, like it or not, is basically the same concept.

SoraSakai 12-12-19 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 8158310)

I loved Anniversary. It’s better than the original in my opinion.

Please don’t kill me lol

Portugalraider 12-12-19 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoraSakai (Post 8158319)
I loved Anniversary. It’s better than the original in my opinion.

Please don’t kill me lol

Oh, I love TRA as well, even if not as much as the original. Definitely on my top 5 Tomb Raider games. :p

I'm just saying how it was received here in TRF back in the day, and still is at some extent.

Tomb Raidering 12-12-19 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoraSakai (Post 8158319)
I loved Anniversary. It’s better than the original in my opinion. Please don’t kill me lol

They have no right to kill us for telling the truth. :cool:

TR1 started the whole thing and is one of the bests of the Classics, but imho Anniversary vastly improved on it. I dare say Greece and Atlantis is better in terms of puzzles and platforming. The doppelganger’s death even had some humor implemented to it ~ “Talk about being you’re own worst enemy.” - Anniversary Lara was the best written Lara ever. Sarcastic and clever, yet naïve and human => shortly balanced unlike Rise/Shadow Lara........

Portugalraider 12-12-19 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering (Post 8158323)
They have no right to kill us for telling the truth. :cool:

TR1 started the whole thing and is one of the bests of the Classics, but imho Anniversary vastly improved on it. I dare say Greece and Atlantis is better in terms of puzzles and platforming. The doppelganger’s death even had some humor implemented to it ~ “Talk about being you’re own worst enemy.” - Anniversary Lara was the best written Lara ever. Sarcastic and clever, yet naïve and human => shortly balanced unlike Rise/Shadow Lara........

It still overall simplifies level design in those areas too much, and platforming controls still have the magnetisation problems that started with TRL (there is the manual grab in TRA though, but its implementation is beyond awful). For example in Greece, the trap rooms in Midas Palace are indeed superior to those in TR1, but how you reach them too simplified (Lost Valley also suffers from that as well). Coliseum is much less complex overall as well. Atlantis I think suffers from trying to do platforming segments that don't really work that we'll because of the controls not being that precise.

Still a great game though, that didn't deserve the hate it got here at release.

charmedangelin 12-12-19 11:42

Quote:

Not really, RE2 tried to keep as much of the original level design intact. TRA completely changed and over simplified the level design which is what most people had a problem with.

Portugalraider 12-12-19 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmedangelin (Post 8158331)
Not really, RE2 tried to keep as much of the original level design intact. TRA completely changed and over simplified the level design which is what most people had a problem with.

I admit I haven't played RE2 since RE isn't really my thing, but from what I've read it actually changed the original level design and some story elements a lot.

But again, changing doesn't really mean oversimplifying like with happened in some parts of TRA. Because TRA also has some great changes to level design, some even making parts of levels more complex.

Who did it better is a different story, but on a basic concept level, TRA and the recent RE remakes are the exact same thing: reimaginations of classic games through the gameplay of the most recent ones.

SoraSakai 12-12-19 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmedangelin (Post 8158331)

Girl you crazy lol

iWANEX 12-12-19 16:11

Quote:

Yes, pretty much that's what I meant. As much as people want to say how DIFFERENT they were, I think it's more of a case of feeling more close to the source material than the objective fundamentals. It's still a modernized classic. Some things were changed for the better, some were for the worse, same as the RE remake. And just like the RE remake the whole gameplay was completely updated leaving the tank controls behind (something some fans are completely opposed to, to the point of the game not being TR because of it), rooms and items were in different places and even Anniversary Lara had a very similar personality and look compared to CLara, even more so than Leon and Claire in some aspects, actually.

But I don't know, maybe after the Reboot people would be more open to something Anniversary-like.

Portugalraider 12-12-19 18:24

Okay, I am replaying SotTR, and when I solved one of the monolith riddles and discovered the treasure Lara just said "Come to Lara!" :vlol::vlol:

More of this Lara in the next game, please! :vlol::vlol: