www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

Kurtis666 19-05-18 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mani_Man (Post 7884730)
While i dont doubt that a characters accent etc is important for natives from which country a character comes from...i cant say i have seen it being talked about to the extent the TR fandom does.

I said this before but i have not one time seen a german having a problem with those awful german accents, the wrong way a word is said from characters who claim to be german etc.

Same goes for the Assassins Creed games or any other game that doesnt feature a none American character.
I dont even have seen americans have a problem with different american accents etc that do not fit.

And like some said, youtube comments is a extreme wonky "source" to me.
I dont say that every youtube comment is garbage or anything, but the youtube comment section doesnt really have a good reputation.

Which doesnt mean its completely invalid of course.
If some feel that its important how the character sounds, then its completely valid.

Not every criticism of the games is bashing or anything, some of it is valid.
Because while i do understand and get why Lara in the reboot games is speaking and sounding like she does, i do would like to hear her go more into a british direction.
Im fine with the way she sounds and all, but you can always do better.

How is Assassin's Creed comparable? Assassin's Creed games features different settings that are outside of America and the accents and are being explained through the lore itself - the Animus which translate the language automatically to English. Regarding Americans complaining about different accents in games set in different locations within America, most of the accents are actually done right and fit the specific American setting, One example of an American accent done wrong is Zoe's "southern" accent in Resident Evil 7 and many complained about it.

Yeauxleaux 19-05-18 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 7884740)
I'm sorry, but like you've said, this is a forum, so why are you jumping on me for stating my opinion? Whenever I think people are being overdramatic or beating a dead horse, I'll freely state what I think about it, just like you did. Also, I don't understand why you're being double standarded about this, when you do the exact same think to criticize the same stuff over and over

You can do that without constantly jumping on anyone who has anything to say that isn't positive. That's my point. It's annoying and it comes off incredibly combative, and yes it is part of the reason some threads get so "toxic" as you like to say. (not excusing classic fans either, some of them are incredibly rude and I've had my eyes opened to how petty some are recently).

I've always tried never to shame people for liking the Reboot, nor have I ever got overly defensive at criticisms of older Laras. It's not a double standard, I'm criticising what I perceive to be this sensitivity some people have that they can't handle any criticism of the new games, without getting combative over it.

I'm leaving this here now anyway. You know I don't like dragged out drama or fighting with people and I've said what I wanted to say.

Vaskito 19-05-18 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 7884745)
You can do that without constantly jumping on anyone who has anything to say that isn't positive. That's my point. It's annoying and it comes off incredibly combative, and yes it is part of the reason some threads get so "toxic" as you like to say. (not excusing classic fans either, some of them are incredibly rude and I've had my eyes opened to how petty some are recently).

I've always tried never to shame people for liking the Reboot, nor have I ever got overly defensive at criticisms of older Laras. It's not a double standard, I'm criticising what I perceive to be this sensitivity some people have that they can't handle any criticism of the new games, without getting combative over it.

I'm leaving this here now anyway. You know I don't like dragged out drama or fighting with people and I've said what I wanted to say.

Except I didn't jump on anyone, like you are doing with me. Please go read again my initial comment, where I simply stated this is mostly readuced to TRF, and that those guys also wrote Camilla's acting was horrible in Shadow, despite almost every other people who saw it saying otherwise.

Annoying is when I want to see conversations about other stuff, but the same stuff is being said over and over on an endless loop, despite the fact that there is already a thread about it.

And once again, just like you are free to criticize your opinion about what you dislike, I'm allowed to express my opinion on it. From the moment you post anything on a thread, you're opening yourself to get a reply. If you don't want drama you should not start it in the first place, and we wouldn't even have this back and forth about it

Kurtis666 19-05-18 19:58

I didn't mean to cause a s scene here but I think it's only logical for a character voice to be as it meant to be which in Lara's case - British. It really have nothing to do with how many people care about it or not it's just a natural decision that the casting team need to make. It's like making Spider-Man, an iconic established character who grew up in New York have a British accent or even a southern American accent, it just doesn't fit and as a respect for the character it's crucial to have a voice that fits the character's origin.

Mickybyrne20 19-05-18 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2001LC20 (Post 7884742)
It's a MENTALITY for anyone who have been in this place for a long time

In my opinion

No, people source out outlets for ideas they wish to convey. I purposely pursued this forum because I'm a Tomb raider fan, and felt I needed to share my excitement with people, as well as express preexisting concerns I've had with the franchise. I have seen just about every review, criticism, comment on the reboots possible. I kid you not. These opinions are wide spread.

Sure, there are petty flaws people like to point out, and may be concentrated within the Tomb Raider fandom on TRF, but the fact is these are widespread opinions.

My general consensus for what people want is:
A less whiney, more confident Lara Croft
More Tombs and puzzles (across the board. I've NEVER seen an objection to this)
Dual pistols to return
Croft Manor to play a bigger component
Better story, and characters.

The rest is vastly praised. Most people really enjoy the combat, tombs, and puzzles, traversal and Lara's ass. They thoroughly enjoy the survival aspect, and crafting.

Ahmier 19-05-18 20:03

Ngl Survivor Lara does sound a little Anericanised. It’s good but could be more familiar with past Lara VAs. :)

2001LC20 19-05-18 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickybyrne20 (Post 7884750)
No, people source out outlets for ideas they wish to convey. I purposely pursued this forum because I'm a Tomb raider fan, and felt I needed to share my excitement with people, as well as express preexisting concerns I've had with the franchise. I have seen just about every review, criticism, comment on the reboots possible. I kid you not. These opinions are wide spread.

Sure, there are petty flaws people like to point out, and may be concentrated within the Tomb Raider fandom on TRF, but the fact is these are widespread opinions.

Dual pistols to return

The rest is vastly praised. Most people really enjoy the combat, tombs, and puzzles, traversal and Lara's ass. They thoroughly enjoy the survival aspect, and crafting.

You probably got me wrong :)

Mani_Man 19-05-18 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurtis666 (Post 7884744)
How is Assassin's Creed comparable? Assassin's Creed games features different settings that are outside of America and the accents and are being explained through the lore itself - the Animus which translate the language automatically to English. Regarding Americans complaining about different accents in games set in different locations within America, most of the accents are actually done right and fit the specific American setting, One example of an American accent done wrong is Zoe's "southern" accent in Resident Evil 7 and many complained about it.

In the previous AC game they did use the native language more...before going the easy route.
And even in newer AC games they had the characters pronounce words etc in the native language of the country.
Other countrys too have regions with different ways to pronounce words.

I didnt knew about Resident Evil 7...i will check this topic out.

Vaskito 19-05-18 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickybyrne20 (Post 7884750)
b Raider fandom on TRF, but the fact is these are widespread opinions.

Dual pistols to return

A less whiney, more confident Lara Croft - She's like this in Rise, and people reported she's even more in Shadow

More Tombs and puzzles (across the board. I've NEVER seen an objection to this) - Confirmed to be in Shadow

Dual pistols to return - Won't be back for now

Croft Manor to play a bigger component - Blood Ties

Better story, and characters. - Matter of personal perspective

Costel 19-05-18 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurtis666 (Post 7884702)
https://youtu.be/GaBtv1IIRMw?t=31m2s

Finally, someone said the truth about Camilla's accent and overacting! I really hope that in the rest of the game she at least won't be so dramatic but her accent will still be a problem for me. Hopefully in the next game they will cast an actress who lived most of her life in the UK with an actual convincing British accent.

No, someone just expressed an opinion. Nobody said the truth.