www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

Rai 09-02-20 17:39

Hm, maybe I won't put it top of my priority list to read it then. :p

tomblover 09-02-20 21:29

It's only Amulet of Power that's really bad, IMO - the rest of the classic novels are just fine, I quite like them even. :p

Rai 09-02-20 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblover (Post 8171382)
It's only Amulet of Power that's really bad, IMO - the rest of the classic novels are just fine, I quite like them even. :p

I don't know much about them. I've seen them talked about here and there. Are they standalone stories then? Or do you need Amulet to understand the others?

Zsott 10-02-20 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai (Post 8171388)
I don't know much about them. I've seen them talked about here and there. Are they standalone stories then? Or do you need Amulet to understand the others?

Nope.
It's just connects TR4 and AoD.

Vaskito 12-02-20 13:41

Katamari takes so many amazing cosplay photos. *.*

https://i.postimg.cc/N01dJx6V/image.png

Athukraz 12-02-20 14:11

She really does

Costel 12-02-20 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 8171873)

Someone cosplay as reboot Lara? But I thought no one does that. That everybody cosplay only as classic Lara. Atleast that is what some people around here are implying.:p

Vaskito 12-02-20 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Costel (Post 8171888)
Someone cosplay as reboot Lara? But I thought no one does that. That everybody cosplay only as classic Lara. Atleast that is what some people around here are implying.:p

Nobody does it. If anyone does, they know nothing about real Lara Croft.

Fun fact: I've recently discovered that one of my followers cosplayed reboot Lara in the past - we became mutuals completely unrelated o TR, so it was a really nice find when she had an avi cosplaying her - but RebOt LaRa HaS nO ImPaCt

Rai 12-02-20 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 8171873)

https://i.postimg.cc/N01dJx6V/image.png

Her cosplays are awesome. From what I've seen some images look like she's stepped right out of the game.

Vaskito 12-02-20 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai (Post 8171895)
Her cosplays are awesome. From what I've seen some images look like she's stepped right out of the game.

Yes! I've got confused as well in the past with some of her photos. She really loves the game, and has like 600 hours of played time in SOTTR

Samz 16-02-20 16:56

Anyone got that clip of that guy missing the jump at the landslide section but the game snaps him back to it? I want to show a friend it.

Heartache 16-02-20 17:01

i gotta say now replaying it and having no white ledges and no info prompts makes for a great experience
all the tombs and crypts are so good in this game i hope they keep what was good about shadow and dont just throw everything out the window like they like to do after the third game.

Slugly 16-02-20 20:47

OMG
Rainbow Six Siege is doing a collab with CD. There is a Classic Lara elite skin for Ash !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcSf4Pn83_8

SpyrosMonster 16-02-20 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slugly (Post 8173204)
OMG
Rainbow Six Siege is doing a collab with CD. There is a Classic Lara elite skin for Ash !

Surprised! I thought reboot Lara was iconic. :)
I guess this proves CD doesn't have a vendetta against classic Lara.

_________

In all seriousness. This is the most badass Lara I've seen in so many years! :eek:

SixtyfourPS4 16-02-20 21:07

Trilogy comparison

I have finally finished "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" on maximum difficulty i.e. Deadly Obsession level straight off the bat as I did with the previous two games of this origin story trilogy and also with 100% completion as I did with the previous two games.

First of all, thank you to all the team as listed in the extensive credits after each game - you have all worked very hard to make a truly memorable gaming experience.

Thank you also to all the actors involved and special thank you to Camilla Luddington who was super nice to me in London Comic Con years ago for staying behind to make sure I got my signed poster when her comic con steward asked me to buy an autograph payment voucher resulting in me having to go away from her desk and queuing elsewhere for over an hour. Camilla is truly a nice person!

Comparing the three games in this trilogy, I would say that "Shadow" is truly the hardest with the longest gaps between save points especially in Cenote and "The Grand Caiman" DLC.

I would say that especially for Cenote and "The Grand Caiman", it was pulse poundingly exciting to do the final climbs and/or battles knowing that there would be a big back track to restart like games of old but however, it did get tedious and soul destroying after a while having to do e.g. the intense first battle in Cenote where Lara falls through the floor into a pit or the Grand Caiman fire trap timing puzzles over and over and over again.

Comparing the three games, the first game had the best balance between save and restart points and difficulty - at least checkpoints were preserved so the game remained difficult and therefore much more exciting while keeping frustration away. I felt sorry for the players who post on YouTube on e.g. the cenote pit fight that they just gave up the entire game because they couldn't progress.

It was also rewarding to carry over playing skills from the previous games e.g. the intense rapid vertical climbs towards the end of the first game to the finale of the third game, or the under ice stealth fighting from "Rise" to "The Path Home" DLC. This rewarded players who have played all three games and added to Lara's character development.

The final fight for "Shadow" I found was difficult on Deadly Obsession- I was maxed out on health at the start of each attempt and I beat Dominguez with only one heal pack remaining - which made for a really intense adrenaline filled finish and a wonderful memory. This made up for the relative ease of the final fights in the previous two games.

It is awkward I appreciate to set a difficulty level for the ending. Too easy then players ask why it was so, too hard then players get frustrated. Ideally the momentum of the excitement of the ending should be allowed to flow to the conclusion with moderate difficulty so to let players experience the rush and urgency of the final battle but not too hard to let tedium set in.

Minor quibbles would be the collision detection on the wall to wall jumps needing pick axes to register with the new climbing wall section. On the final level and a few other ones earlier in the game, it is ironic if Lara climbs to the uppermost corner of the climbing wall before jumping, this makes it impossible for her to reach the target climbing wall and I found that if Lara starts jumping just a bit lower down, she has greater chance of success.

However, I loved the combat sections - they were as exciting as ever. More puzzles are what most fans wanted though I loved the previous two games more for the intense fighting so I am in the minority here.

If I had one wish, then I would wish for the acting cast to record a short congratulatory video which plays at the end of the game for all those who complete the game on the maximum difficulty level and achieve 100% completion because those of us who stuck through the game through all the crushing defeats to emerge victorious, a couple of minutes from the cast would be wonderful reward.

Again, thanks again to all the team and cast who made these games. It was epic.

$@Ssio 16-02-20 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slugly (Post 8173204)
OMG

Why canít we have THIS in Tomb Raider?!? :mad:

Slugly 16-02-20 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster (Post 8173205)
Surprised. I thought reboot Lara was iconic. :D
I guess this proves CD doesn't have a vendetta against classic Lara. :)

_________

In all seriousness. This is the most badass Lara I've seen in so many years! :eek:

They clearly don't hate her lol

Tbh I don't see Lara, I just see Ash dressed as Lara ! Must be because I play R6 a lot. I'm gonna buy it. It costs 15€ haha

Quote:

First of all, thank you to all the team as listed in the extensive credits after each game - you have all worked very hard to make a truly memorable gaming experience.

Thank you also to all the actors involved and special thank you to Camilla Luddington who was super nice to me in London Comic Con years ago for staying behind to make sure I got my signed poster when her comic con steward asked me to buy an autograph payment voucher resulting in me having to go away from her desk and queuing elsewhere for over an hour. Camilla is truly a nice person!
You're so lucky, I wish I could meet her too ! I'm sure she's very nice ;)

Quote:

It was epic.

I agree

Portugalraider 16-02-20 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slugly (Post 8173229)
Tbh I don't see Lara, I just see Ash dressed as Lara ! Must be because I play R6 a lot. I'm gonna buy it. It costs 15Ä haha

15Ä for a DLC costume? Jesus Ubisoft, your microtransactions are just transactions at this point!

----

Anyways, it's still much more of a ToO Lara costume then a proper classic one, and with a surprisingly baggy top. Even reboot Lara uses more fitted clothes.

SpyrosMonster 16-02-20 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slugly (Post 8173229)
They clearly don't hate her lol

Tbh I don't see Lara, I just see Ash dressed as Lara ! Must be because I play R6 a lot. I'm gonna buy it. It costs 15Ä haha

Oh wow, so that's another game character just dressed as Lara? I had no idea!
I guess outfits and pistols DO have an importance after all. :tmb:

(to me at least.)

Slugly 16-02-20 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster (Post 8173240)
Oh wow, so that's another game character just dressed as Lara? I had no idea!
I guess outfits and pistols DO have an importance after all. :tmb:

(to me at least.)

Yes, It's Ash from Rainbow Six Siege. They didn't change her face and she already had a braid ( but she has red hair in her normal outfit ).
The dual pistols are not usable by the way, it's just for the end of game animation. She only uses one handgun and an assault riffle in game.

Quote:

15€ for a DLC costume? Jesus Ubisoft, your microtransactions are just transactions at this point!
Yep, it's very expensive. And it doesn't even have gameplay perks ( thankfully ). It's just a costume

za.parry 17-02-20 03:58

Does anybody have any knowledge of the different iterations of Shadows story? I feel like I remember reading somewhere that the narrative had been rewritten a few times, especially when it got into the hands of Eidos. I feel like the story that seems to be expressed in the CGI trailer is more akin to CDs vision but who knows.

xspacedude 17-02-20 23:37

I know from the magazine posted on this forum that rourke wasnt part of the story and they decided to add him to make a balance between him and Amaru bc they thought Amaru was too much of a good guy. And from the mocap sessions for the rooftop scene, Lara was supposed to find out Dominguez killed richard on their first encounter.

AntRaidsTombs 18-02-20 16:33

I just hope we get a somewhat stronger story in the next game.

charmedangelin 19-02-20 04:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs (Post 8173753)
I just hope we get a somewhat stronger story in the next game.

One that doesn't shift and change all the time. It needs to be a single story with one single focus. Shadows story was way too all over the place. It would have been much better if they stuck with what they had in the beginning with the tsunami.

Heartache 19-02-20 04:46

i always feel like there is a big quality drop from the beginning of shadow to the middle and end section. the whole mexico section feels so thought out. all the dialogue doesnt seem to be the very first draft and characters act more real and after a while all falls downhill and they go back to the blandest characters with the blandest dialogues.

shadow shouldve been in active developement for another 12 months. i mean they patched it for quite a while but its clear that not the full team doesnt stay behind. patches barely did anything from the game, i think even more stuff broke and most stuff was never attempted to be fixed

charmedangelin 19-02-20 05:59

I think if Shadow was delayed and released at another time then the game probably would have been more successful. Especially if they properly marketed the game instead of doing those closed door events.

One thing I will say is how unfair Shadow was treated by the developers. Compared to 2013 and Rise, Shadow was not handled with the same amount of care as the other two reboot titles. While Shadow expanded on a lot of things, it just didn't feel like it was all it was meant to be in the end.

Can't say I'm positive the future will be better. Especially after the DLC 8 nonsense or the outfit restriction not really being lifted.

Shing 19-02-20 06:47

Finally started the game. Saw some videos, read things on forum, but i wasn't spoilered or anything.
I play on hard/hard. I think the difficulty name was One with jungle.

Many times I found myself saying, "wow i'm actually playing a TR game". Rope mechanics, no white parts (and it works perfectly without it), proper swimming, the whole level design felt very good so far. I think it has the better part of survivor elements, crafting from Rise (these things barely worked in TR2013), better atmosphere/story parts from 2013 AND classic, but at least LAU gameplay elements.

But i just finished the young Lara part and started my first optional tomb.

So far, even if it will be weaker later, it's worth it.

There was a debate about graphics too. Looking and videos i didn't find it so fancy either. But it definietly looks better than Rise. PC max settings, but disabled AA and RT effects. No wonder this is one of the first games to run better with DX12. It's full of objects and details, the vegetation is amazing, water too.
Also i always turn music volume higher in games. Evertyhing was on max so i lowered sfx/voices instead. I advise this to everyone, because the music is still not too loud and i think it's great.

Heartache 19-02-20 07:00

tomb wise it only gets better so dont worry about that. the whole no white paint and no help prompts is amazing and feels like a real exploration. just the story seems to be botchered in the later half like they ran out of time

EzioMaverick 19-02-20 07:25

Something i have been working on lately.

https://i.imgur.com/hjs5OZRh.jpg

Full Res.
https://i.imgur.com/hjs5OZR.jpg

Leon2703 19-02-20 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heartache (Post 8173891)
i always feel like there is a big quality drop from the beginning of shadow to the middle and end section. the whole mexico section feels so thought out. all the dialogue doesnt seem to be the very first draft and characters act more real and after a while all falls downhill and they go back to the blandest characters with the blandest dialogues.

I agree, and tbh I believe that has a lot to do with Paititi.

The change from Mexico to Peru, the mixture of the cultures, Trinityís leader being paititian, the fetch quests, the outfits and outfit restriction, cringe characters and dialogue, etc. Paititi took all the focus from where there should have been... They had to shoehorn it in the game which resulted in a mess of everything. Such a wasted potential.

Heartache 21-02-20 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by EzioMaverick (Post 8173907)

Full Res.

i hope they make her look a little older in the next game and give her her underworld attire back or atleast something similar.

Lyle Croft 21-02-20 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by EzioMaverick (Post 8173907)

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/hjs5OZRh.jpg

Full Res.

Nice!!!

I really hope they fix her eyes, brows, lips, And JAW.
Camilla has a wide jaw with a low mandibular angle, but on Lara it just...doesnt look good.
https://i.imgur.com/eTkmquk.gif
https://i.imgur.com/T6YCB7Mm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/hwTAX8gm.jpg

Jaffa_Cakes 21-02-20 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyle Croft (Post 8174319)
Nice!!!

I really hope they fix her eyes, brows, lips, And JAW.
Camilla has a wide jaw with a low mandibular angle, but on Lara it just...doesnt look good.]

If they were to keep her for future TR games then, there actually is a way to modify Camilla's face in engine to look a bit more different, if that's what they're looking for, cause i mean take TLOU2 for an example, Ashley Johnson's face i would say, doesn't look like Ellie at all, but there you go, they still could model Ellie parting from Ashley's face and achieve amazing mocap (i know a lot of people said that now Ellie doesn't look like the first game's model but anyways).

ANoDE 22-02-20 14:24

Just saw this for the first time :vlol:

I just love honest game trailers.

MissJodieG 22-02-20 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANoDE (Post 8174463)

Just saw this for the first time :vlol:

I just love honest game trailers.

OMG, this was so funny. :D
Even though the narrators voice, his intonation to be specific, annoyed the hell out of me after the 1 minute mark. :o

Lyle Croft 22-02-20 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaffa_Cakes (Post 8174373)
If they were to keep her for future TR games then, there actually is a way to modify Camilla's face in engine to look a bit more different, if that's what they're looking for, cause i mean take TLOU2 for an example, Ashley Johnson's face i would say, doesn't look like Ellie at all, but there you go, they still could model Ellie parting from Ashley's face and achieve amazing mocap (i know a lot of people said that now Ellie doesn't look like the first game's model but anyways).

Like in-game Lara doesn't really look too much like Camilla...but i can see it. Particularly in the jaw area. ;|

isanvel 26-02-20 12:53

first rainbow six, now brawlhalla :D

tomblover 26-02-20 13:00

It's interesting, seeing all of these classic cross-overs coming out all of a sudden - and I'm sure a lot of us can appreciate classic Lara being the main feature, in the case of Brawlhalla. :p

I hope this means they've got a new LC game lined up for us soon...

Love seeing her use both the duals and the bow. Truly an icon. :cln:

AntRaidsTombs 26-02-20 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyle Croft (Post 8174535)
Like in-game Lara doesn't really look too much like Camilla...but i can see it. Particularly in the jaw area. ;|

I hope they donít drastically change her model again. Her Rise/Shadow model is fine, just need a few minor tweaks.

Portugalraider 29-02-20 14:39

I think I missed that document in the "Path of Survival DLC" the first time around, but it's interesting that "Dr. Dominguez" is the name given to any Trinity leader, like a title of sorts.

Also, I just got the "Come to Lara" line after solving a new monolith riddle (these things absolutely need to return in the next game) and it always cracks me up! xD