www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   [UPDATE] Version 1.7.8 of my TR1/UB installer (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=166520)

gidierre 09-05-20 09:24

One more needed update to v1.7.7.5, mostly for security reasons
thx again Opaque79 for accurate and dependable testing :)

minor, but not inconsequential changes and three remarks maybe worth stating

should new users have performance issues such as unwelcome delays, fits of freezing crashes etc. feel free to post here your problem or PM me so custom configuration changes can be worked out (maybe :p)

if the installer quits and waves you off with a big-hearted message box like this

https://iili.io/JlCgus.jpg

AND you reckon this is unfair because you're legit and being mistreated/prevented from using it for no good reason, again you're welcome to post here or send me a PM so I can see what went wrong and what can be done about it

the path customization is gone iow you're bound to install to c:\tombraider by default. If that's fine.. don't fix it.
Otoh if for some reason you'd really have to change that path location to eg e:\myfolder\whatever\tombraider you can still make it manually moving the whole tombraider folder as you see fit
no special problems with that, only your desktop shortcuts will be broken and sorry if you already know how, but of course those shortcuts will have to be manually retrained to point to the new location (right click/properties/target).

EDIT
May 17,2020: path customization feature restored

gidierre 17-05-20 14:51

little thing:
I wasn't too happy with the loss of the path customization feature in v1.7.7.5 as mentioned above, so I thought I might as well rework it a bit to regain the small extension over the recent refurbishment which had it broken
and I did it in v1.7.7.6 so destination drive and folder can be tailored again.

Doesn't this hark back to the years, like this post anticipated
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...&postcount=135
it's true some of those things I'd state differently today, or in fact I should say I've been implementing them in way more honed a way than forseen back then
but the gist of it was there, if you browse down to the Linux-like commandline arrangement:
Quote:

setup ready on hard disk, real cdrom

Quote:

dosbox.exe tomb.exe -noconsole -fullscreen -exit -c "mount d %drive_letter%:\ -t cdrom -noioctl"
setup ready on hard disk, cdrom image on hard disk too

Quote:

dosbox.exe tomb.exe -noconsole -fullscreen -exit -c "mount c c:\tombraider" -c "imgmount d c:\tombeng.cue -t iso -fs iso"
setup on a flash drive named h:, cdrom image must be on hard disk

Quote:

dosbox.exe -noconsole -fullscreen -c "mount c c:\tombraider" -c "imgmount d c:\tombeng.cue -t iso -fs iso" -c "mount -u c" -c "mount c h:\tombraider" -c c: -c "tomb.exe" -c "exit"

so this has been going full circle :) now that a complete installation can be accomplished from and onto a usb drive (1024MB capacity at least to host both setup and runtime game files, savegames etc.)
though performance-wise I'd always go for HD, but that was not the point,
it was about getting loose from the mandatory folder location and cdrom dependence

and thx Inno Setup for supporting the undertaking with free & robust framework (though unexpectedly enough I had to study a bit of Pascal which I wasn't too familiar with to make it stick! :mad: :p)

gidierre 20-05-20 21:10

I decided to wrap up the latest small changes into one (final?) v1.7.8
at the same time adding a few, under-the-radar optimizations here and there aimed at performance considerations and also at streamlining the legitimacy check's impact on the user, to make things as user-friendly or should I say user-centered as they should be

link:
https://dl.tombraiderhub.com/TR1-installer-1778.zip

LateRaider 05-06-20 00:03

hey gidierre, is it possible to use stuff like xevengar's outfit mods with your installer or no? i've tried to look into it myself but it appears your installer uses a different levelfile format of some sort

gidierre 05-06-20 08:34

I don't know about xevengar's mods
I'm guessing it's less about level .phd format than modding the exe itself or using another one at all

but it's easier if I ask the modder directly :)

LateRaider 05-06-20 16:18

alright. i looked into your installer and you seem to use 3DF files which are all 87 kb. (at least in the version i have installed; i think i stopped at v1.7.7.1. i've been meaning to install the most recent versions.) i don't know where the actual levelfiles are for me to install any mods to.

Edit 1 - Installed v1.7.8. I found the main gamefile with the levelfiles I need in it in order to apply the Larson gun fix, Tomb of Tihocan crocodile fix, and Xevengar's outfit mod. Thanks for your help nyhow! :)

Edit 2 - So Xevengar's mods are only for TombATI which throws a bit of a wrench into things. I'm going to investigate it independently but the outlook isn't good.

So for example, the original level 1 file is 2,533,634 bytes. And Xevengar's N-Gage outfit mod is 2,472,870 bytes, too small. Importing just the textures and retaining unused textures in the levelfile makes it 2,546,806 bytes, too big. If the levelfile structure isn't exact, the launcher will refuse to load the gamefile. So I don't think this is possible to do.

Edit 3 - Now I'm running into a more pressing issue. So with a vanilla installation of your v1.7.7.8 I can no longer load Unfinished Business. The objects at the title menu gather together and the game freezes. It appears to be having an issue loading the levelfiles. I don't understand what's going on since TRI itself runs just fine. Please advise.

gidierre 06-06-20 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8203863)
Edit 2 - So Xevengar's mods are only for TombATI which throws a bit of a wrench into things. I'm going to investigate it independently but the outlook isn't good.

wait a minute
looks like I've just found a workaround, and it wasn't about messing with the tomb*.exe, but with the very .phd paraphernalia
it seems the mods can be forcefully shoved into the installer's setup after all :)

anyway if you don't mind I'm gonna grab me some screenshots I'm making (who would believe me otherwise? :p) using one Balloon Raider Mod by Xevengar I happened to download and test and then go on on the other thread, you know the one about the Mutationum Magnus Magister's Model Edits
to avoid cluttering this thread here devoted to the installer...
so I'll clutter Xevengar's :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8203863)
Edit 3 - Now I'm running into a more pressing issue. So with a vanilla installation of your v1.7.7.8 I can no longer load Unfinished Business. The objects at the title menu gather together and the game freezes. It appears to be having an issue loading the levelfiles. I don't understand what's going on since TRI itself runs just fine. Please advise.

some conflict apparently, but my best advice in these cases is just to reinstall :cen: everything from scratch, deleting \tombraider\*.* or making a copy of it first if you want, but lose no time, make a total refresh, it's surely for the best.

LateRaider 06-06-20 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidierre (Post 8204186)
wait a minute
looks like I've just found a workaround, and it wasn't about messing with the tomb*.exe, but with the very .phd paraphernalia
it seems the mods can be forcefully shoved into the installer's setup after all :)

anyway if you don't mind I'm gonna grab me some screenshots I'm making (who would believe me otherwise? :p) using one Balloon Raider Mod by Xevengar I happened to download and test and then go on on the other thread, you know the one about the Mutationum Magnus Magister's Model Edits
to avoid cluttering this thread here devoted to the installer...
so I'll clutter Xevengar's :D

Hahha sounds good to me. Thank you for working on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gidierre (Post 8204186)
some conflict apparently, but my best advice in these cases is just to reinstall :cen: everything from scratch, deleting \tombraider\*.* or making a copy of it first if you want, but lose no time, make a total refresh, it's surely for the best.

I did this and I'm still getting the same result. I did not have this issue with v1.7.7.1, for the record. It has to be the result of 1.7.8.

gidierre 06-06-20 17:17

You mean v1.7.8

but there was no change about that in between that could affect TRUB really

LateRaider 06-06-20 17:21

I don't know what to tell you other than 1.7.7.1 worked and 1.7.8 doesn't suddenly.

Here's what I did exactly:

1. Uninstalled 1.7.8 using the Apps section of Windows 10 Settings.

2. The folder at C:/tombraider was gone at this point. I checked to be sure.

3. I reinstalled TR and UB using 1.7.8. I also reinstalled nGlide.

4. I clicked on the "Tomb Raider Unfinished Business" shortcut that was created.

5. The compatibility check activated at this point. I got up to do other things since it was taking a while.

6. I came back to find TR:UB had opened. I selected Game, selected New Game, and the items that represent menu selections at the title menu gathered together. At this point, the game freezes; the title music still plays but the game has effectively crashed. I have to use Ctrl + Shift + Esc to close DOSBOX.

I tried to go on TombRaiderHub in order to see if you had previous revisions available (I stupidly deleted my 1.7.7.1 because I thought I wouldn't run into issues with 1.7.8 :o ) but it seems to be down again.