www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Chronicles (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Tomb Raider: Chronicles UNappreciation thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223765)

LateRaider 30-11-19 01:24

Tomb Raider: Chronicles UNappreciation thread

title says it all. dedicated to the disappointments and downs of TR:C.

- no point for collecting secrets
- many unskippable in-game cutscenes
- narrative problems
- game-breaking bugs in the final level
- pathetically short adventure

now it's your turn! :)

LaraCablara 30-11-19 03:08

REALLY badly telegraphed and misleading puzzles. The back of the box said hand to hand combat is included (a lie), but in what classic Tomb Raider game would you think to wack a chef in the back with a crowbar?

That awkward tune that plays when Lara gets some weird sand item in the labyrinth? I thought it was my CD glitching out. :confused:

That weird scene where Young Lara was almost about to take off her top.

Lara's squished backpack that she wears with the catsuit.

Tightrope walking was a weird addition to her move set that nobody asked for.

I played the games out of order. I played this game after playing Tomb Raider 1 and thought it was so bizarre!

_Seth 30-11-19 09:22

I love Chronicles, but I guess I'l engage and list the things I didn't like. XD

No keyboard number shortcuts
Difficulty getting a PC controller to work
Young Lara near stripping
Short length
Weird floating squashed VCI backpack
Floating holsters and backpack with the Russia outfit
Full finger gloves with the Russia outfit that revert to fingerless with the airhole when holding guns, flares or in the FMV
Unskippable cutscenes
Tightrope walking

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaraCablara (Post 8155908)
That awkward tune that plays when Lara gets some weird sand item in the labyrinth? I thought it was my CD glitching out. :confused:

Yeah, what the hell is that. https://i.imgur.com/gDCo7is.png

Chamayoo 30-11-19 09:37

Ok, every games in the series will suffer this thread ? Looking forward the popular ones. :D

By the way, let's go for Chronicles ! I'm sorry I still like you !

- A bit short !
- Levels aren't very impressive in level design and length
- VCI is very buggy, I didn't have a lot of luck in this part !
- Deepsea Dive is the worst underwater level in the series, sorry !
- Tightrope walk is a good addition in the paper, but boring and tedious to play
- Balancing pole same thing but weird and exaggerated animation
- Not a lot of new tracks
- Pierre and Larson died two times ?

That's all !

PS : I love the weird tune in Labyrinth. :D

OrangeJuice 30-11-19 16:29

you're so wrong for this thread.
i can take it for underworld and i can take it for shadow but leave chronices alone. i know the addy.

Tomb Raidering 30-11-19 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeJuice (Post 8155980)
i can take it for underworld and i can take it for shadow but leave chronices alone. i know the addy.

I agree with this 100%. Whatís up with the trend? :p

Iím starting the TRII UNappreciation thread, thatís more like it... :cool:

LateRaider 30-11-19 16:50

Quote:

Babe im sorry but i hate chronicles. Its dull and uninspired imo

Tomb Raidering 30-11-19 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8155986)
Babe im sorry but i hate chronicles. Its dull and uninspired imo

You should like it coz it features your fav couple, Larson and Pierre... :pi:

If there’s one thing that needs nitpicking in Chronicles, it’s that it’s a little short. One extra level for Rome, Ireland and VCI would have sufficed.

Oh, and add in that cut, upgraded crossbow and we’re all set..... Ah well.

CroftManiac05 30-11-19 16:57

- Ridiculous voice acting
- VCI
- Boring af tightrope mechanic
- Feels more like a DLC than a full game

I feel like you don't miss anything from the series if you don't play this game. A complete waste.

LateRaider 30-11-19 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering (Post 8155988)
You should like it coz it features your fav couple, Larson and Pierre... :pi:

I do like the first level but it's all downhill from there

Ward Dragon 30-11-19 18:02

My overall impression of TR5 is meh, although I love the Ireland levels. Now, for the list of things I hate that popped into my head immediately:

The bugs, especially in the last level of VCI. I literally needed a walkthrough to find out where I could save the game without triggering one game-breaking bug or another.

The tightrope and parallel bars. Not bad ideas on paper, but the implementation was terrible.

I found the Rome and Submarine levels to be repetitive and boring. It's a weird irony that I think the game overall was too short, but I also think most of the levels were too long XD I think they should have shortened Rome and the Submarine and then maybe have an additional area that's something different, like jungle or desert. The story was a disconnected mess anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered if they shoehorned in another random memory that fits at some ambiguous and/or contradictory point in the timeline.

The whole thing with Larson and Pierre dying twice really confused me until I realized that TR5 Rome is supposed to come first and therefore their TR5 deaths must be a mistake. I initially thought it was the other way around because I could believe they survived getting shot, but getting eaten by a dragon or falling off a cliff both seem pretty definite to me.

Also, the rest of the story sucked too but I forgot the details until I read other people's posts in this thread :p I agree with the criticisms, especially that really weird scene with teenage Lara about to take off her shirt. That was just creepy.

trfan16 30-11-19 18:49

- Lack of innovation compared to the previous TR games - At least the previous TR games always added a few gameplay mechanics or platforming elements to the game like new stunts or vehicles for Lara to ride. What does Chronicles add? Tightrope walking, which was not really a good addition to begin with. :o

- Losing your inventory between levels was lame. If the game is going to have four separate storylines that are not connected in anyway, might as well let us choose which story to start out with.

- Lack of traps - Where all the traps in this game? It felt like the only type of trap we can encounter the whole game is the occasional spike trap. I guess there's those laser traps they rehashed from Nevada in TRIII. Considering the amount of creative traps TRIV had, I expected better.

- Bringing back unkillable swarm enemies from TRIV (rats, bats, etc.).

I use to complain about the story telling in this game, but I kind of grown fond of the anthological plot in this game. There were some weird plot inconsistencies like Pierre supposedly falling to his death Rome and then returning later in TRI. But this can be explained by the fact that the story is being told through the perspective of Lara's peers. At least the story is not a hot mess like Resident Evil 0.

LaraCablara 30-11-19 19:51

The way I interpreted the whole thing is that because itís being told from the perspective of her friends, they donít know all the exact details so thatís why there are inconsistencies and weird moments like that priest having his hair turned white.

JsotoTRSaga 30-11-19 20:33

I love Chronicles, However:

*Why on earth does Larson & Pierre show up again? didn't they die already?
*If this is before TR1 why does Lara look like she does in TR4? (Rome levels specifically)
*Some areas felt unfinished and you could clearly tell
*Some areas were rushed and you could unfortunately tell
*Non sensical solutions for the obstacles present in your way (the crowbar attack to the chef, the fire extinguisher, the zipline gun, the coin and the cursed mermaid etc. all non sensical, annoying and extremely hard to tell that is what you're supposed to be doing).
*Young Lara gets gloves when she has the torch.
*I expected a fifth level
*Unkillable bats
*The scene in Ireland where young Lara almost takes her shirt off didn't bother me much but I could have done without it since it doesn't really add anything of importance.

Anakzunamuhn 30-11-19 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaraCablara (Post 8155908)
That awkward tune that plays when Lara gets some weird sand item in the labyrinth? I thought it was my CD glitching out.

Someone here found out that if you slow down the audio you can hear chorus singing Hallelujah. Probably an inside joke from the team.

Anyway, i think that when you know what it is, it really fits the spooky atmosphere of the Black Isle section.

SrDanielPonces 30-11-19 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga (Post 8156028)
I love Chronicles, However:
*If this is before TR1 why does Lara look like she does in TR4? (Rome levels specifically)

Ok this is kinda stupid, you wanted to have the triangle boobs Lara in the rome levels?
Graphics improved and so did Lara's model. What you're saying is like having TR4's Young Lara in SOTTR Home section just because the story was set when she was a child/teen lol

JsotoTRSaga 30-11-19 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces (Post 8156040)
Ok this is kinda stupid, you wanted to have the triangle boobs Lara in the rome levels?
Graphics improved and so did Lara's model. What you're saying is like having TR4's Young Lara in SOTTR just because the story was set when she was a child/teen lol

Not the triangle boobs, but her outfit and hairstyle was completely different in TR1 than it is in TRC's Rome.

SrDanielPonces 30-11-19 21:20

Her hairstyle looked like it does in TR1 for the reason that Sega Saturn's hardware couldn't handle the intended one, which is the one you can see in the FMVs :D

charmedangelin 30-11-19 22:37

Quote:

They be coming for classics because they be melting in the heat of Shadows roasting. :pi:

Samz 30-11-19 22:49

-No Dual Pistols in VCI.
-Turrets are invincible in VCI.
-Game generally too short.
-Red Alert! is a buggy mess.
-Traps are almost completely absent outside of (ironically) the Modern VCI building.
-Ireland is an uneventful Slog, that barely puts Lara's platforming (the only gameplay mechanic it can use) to the test.

michaeldt 02-12-19 15:50

For all of TRC's faults, I have to admit that 'Escape with the Iris' has always been one of my favourite classic TR levels :D.

NoahCrofRaider 02-12-19 17:54

This game does not need an unappreciation thread. In hindsight, Underworld might not need it either.

The games that are commonly appreciated are the ones that need unappreciation threads (for unpopular opinions, I guess), not ones that are already unappreciated. :p

Regardless...
-Underboob Young Lara scene
-No keyboard number shortcuts
-Glitches that commonly cause an issue with completing the game
-No tribal outfits in Ireland -5/10 hehe : D
-It almost works as its own game, but something about it feels off... like it needs more substance
-Lara looking the same as TR4 in Rome, and not with a TR1-esque outfit and bun (nitpicky but still)

TonyLee 02-12-19 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering (Post 8155982)
Iím starting the TRII UNappreciation thread, thatís more like it... :cool:

You have to be exiled for that!!

JoelCaesar 03-12-19 03:49

I can forgive a lot of things about TRC, however, what I cannot accept is that none of the cutscenes is skippable. They are so long and tedious!

Brendanlovesu1 03-12-19 23:43

The game feels like it should have been a DLC for TR: TLR

Samz 04-12-19 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelCaesar (Post 8156535)
I can forgive a lot of things about TRC, however, what I cannot accept is that none of the cutscenes is skippable. They are so long and tedious!

Yeah I save after every cutscene so I never have to watch one again.

Maverin 05-12-19 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider (Post 8156441)
This game does not need an unappreciation thread. In hindsight, Underworld might not need it either.

The games that are commonly appreciated are the ones that need unappreciation threads (for unpopular opinions, I guess), not ones that are already unappreciated. :p

Regardless...
-Underboob Young Lara scene
-No keyboard number shortcuts
-Glitches that commonly cause an issue with completing the game
-No tribal outfits in Ireland -5/10 hehe : D
-It almost works as its own game, but something about it feels off... like it needs more substance
-Lara looking the same as TR4 in Rome, and not with a TR1-esque outfit and bun (nitpicky but still)

Once again... I agree with you on almost everything. I always pondered why they decided to remove the keyboard number shortcuts. Surely they wouldn't remove it just to fix that 'TR4 change weapon to pistols bug' right?

ThatSassyKid 09-12-19 05:45

Yeah, because this game doesn't get enough hate amirite

LateRaider 09-12-19 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid (Post 8157681)

Not nearly enough babe

Tomb Raidering 12-12-19 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyLee (Post 8156476)
You have to be exiled for that!!

No, I don’t for expressing my opinions on a terrible game... :rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid (Post 8157681)

Facts...
Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8157719)
Not nearly enough love

Fixed :p

If there’s one thing that needs unappreciation in Chronicles, it’s that they didn’t base the level editor that came with it on its (Chronicles’) engine. It would have been a faster start for level building with 4 Lara skins, different weather types, weapons, animations etc.

Positivity in an unappreciation thread: I *love* the new health, sprint and breath bars on PC. So HQ even after these years, and more sightly from those of TR1-4.....

Yeauxleaux 13-12-19 21:10

I love Chronicles. However if not having Chronicles would have meant AoD being 10x better, I could have done without it.

As it is...

I think the game needed a 5th location and that location should have been Egypt, in January 2000. This would show how Lara escaped from the Temple of Horus.

The glitches that need sorting is an obvious one.

Also I agree with Noah, underboob teen Lara was not needed.

LateRaider 13-12-19 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 8158745)
I love Chronicles. However if not having Chronicles would have meant AoD being 10x better, I could have done without it.

As it is...

I think the game needed a 5th location and that location should have been Egypt, in January 2000. This would show how Lara escaped from the Temple of Horus.

The glitches that need sorting is an obvious one.

Also I agree with Noah, underboob teen Lara was not needed.

omg yeaux :hug: where have you been

ThatSassyKid 14-12-19 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 8158745)

I've been saying this for a while, but I actually think 6 locations would've been better, with the final being Egypt.

Yeauxleaux 15-12-19 01:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8158754)
omg yeaux :hug: where have you been

:hug:

Grinding at work and just not felt pressed to post much on here due to lack of TR news. I was quietly lurking and still posting down in the video games subforum theaux.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid (Post 8158817)
I've been saying this for a while, but I actually think 6 locations would've been better, with the final being Egypt.

What would be your 6th location? Just out of interest.

NoahCrofRaider 15-12-19 02:09

I think Egypt would be very interesting also, because they could then explain the whole “Lara of Arabia” period, which I’m still itching to know all the details about. Depending on how complex it would have been (assuming it’d be like what was proposed in AoD), that could be chaotic for one game, but who knows.

TombRaiderLover 15-05-20 20:07

The fixed camera angles make me livid. It's funny because they've never bothered me in the classic Resi games, but when the camera abruptly defaults to a random position in Chronicles, it's like Core were trying to be as disorientating as possible.

LateRaider 15-05-20 20:54

TR:C embodies so many of core's frustrations imo

ackamonk 15-05-20 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by TombRaiderLover (Post 8197774)
The fixed camera angles make me livid. It's funny because they've never bothered me in the classic Resi games, but when the camera abruptly defaults to a random position in Chronicles, it's like Core were trying to be as disorientating as possible.

Absolutely this, I could just about forgive it until you have to run down those stairs for the Iris!

Kapu 19-05-20 04:21

My only TRC complaint: I hate Core for bringing back Larson and Pierre and causing a never ending argument about when Rome takes place.

The answer is before TR1. Pierre "dies" off-screen which DOESN'T COUNT. I DON'T CARE IF THE FALL SHOULD HAVE KILLED HIM. MAYBE HE JUST BROKE HIS ANKLE. Same with Larson. He got tossed a few feet, that would hurt but not kill you. I WILL HEAR NO ARGUMENTS.

ANoDE 19-05-20 06:39

Maybe it simply takes place in a parallel universe. Who knows?