www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

Princess_Paige 18-04-18 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 7857921)
I feel the same way about this. And it's underwhelming, because it feels like it's a crime to praise antying related to the reboot era, Camilla, CD/SE.
This toxic attitude has already made me step out of the forums once

Yup, the threads do become quite toxic at times. But tends to only be while discussing the reboot. I feel sorry for Camilla if she ever comes on this site

Vaskito 18-04-18 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess_Paige (Post 7857924)
Yup, the threads do become quite toxic at times. But tends to only be while discussing the reboot. I feel sorry for Camilla if she ever comes on this site

Thankfully, she doesn't.

I'm ok with people not liking her performance, but I find it offensive, outright childish and utterly disrespectful when people find it ok to actually mock her and her work. I know many people here are still young, and still in school/university, but I'm working for 7 years now, and I'm familiarized to what it's like to work in public attendance (which is basically what she does. She works to an audience), and I know what it feels like when you do your best, and your work simply gets mocked and demeaned out of hate/spite, and it's underwhelming and hurtful. The likeliness of her coming here is basically null, and I'm glad simply because of this kind of sad attitude

2001LC20 18-04-18 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 7857925)
Thankfully, she doesn't.

I'm ok with people not liking her performance, but I find it offensive, outright childish and utterly disrespectful when people find it ok to actually mock her and her work. I know many people here are still young, and still in school/university, but I'm working for 7 years now, and I'm familiarized to what it's like to work in public attendance (which is basically what she does. She works to an audience), and I know what it feels like when you do your best, and your work simply gets mocked and demeaned out of hate/spite, and it's underwhelming and hurtful. The likeliness of her coming here is basically null, and I'm glad simply because of this kind of sad attitude

People just deeply hates her for one reason and really really like to blame on someone other than themselves which are cd Camilla and basically anyone else

Yeauxleaux 18-04-18 12:10

Now that I do agree on. I've made comments on Lara's voice in the Reboot but I've always tried to do it in a constructive way, that isn't just ripping into Camilla and insulting her career. I've said that I think she needs to work on hitting an accurate British accent, because listening to her it's very clear she's spent a lot of time in America even when she's voicing Lara. However I'm not saying this from a place of hate, I'm saying it because if she's going to voice Lara then I want her to be the best Lara she can be.

As I've said before though I don't even think it's wholly Camilla that's the "problem". I think there's issues with script writing and direction that are incredibly off and it's probably affecting her performance.

iWANEX 18-04-18 12:23

I personally felt very guilty for loving the reboot era for a while. When Rise came out I truly felt as a criminal or something (lol), so coming here every day to defend the game was exhausting and in the end I just needed a break.

A good way to keep your sanity is just going to Twitter, IGN or any other social media platform and read comments there. It's amazing to see the HUGE praise these games receive, and it saddens me that fans of the newer games won't come here to talk about them because of the negativity that constantly surrounds this forum. It's also funny to see how most of the things criticized by classic fans, everyone else loves. It must be difficult for CD to try to please everyone and it might result in nobody wanting to play the games, just like it happened with Anniversary and Underworld. Hopefully, they learnt that lesson and will do their own thing now (bringing Jonah back is one of the things I liked the most. Just because a small minority don't want Lara talking to anyone except for rocks, doesn't mean they have to erase what was built in the first game. Most people outside of here want to know what happened to Sam, Jonah or Reyes.)

But I guess it's the same thing in all fandoms. I get the feeling that if I love the new God of War (I've never played the old ones and don't plan to do so), and visit their forums because I'm excited to talk about it and the future of the franchise, it will be flooded with negativity from classic fans. It's just the way it is.

Vaskito 18-04-18 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 7857980)
Now that I do agree on. I've made comments on Lara's voice in the Reboot but I've always tried to do it in a constructive way, that isn't just ripping into Camilla and insulting her career. I've said that I think she needs to work on hitting an accurate British accent, because listening to her it's very clear she's spent a lot of time in America even when she's voicing Lara. However I'm not saying this from a place of hate, I'm saying it because if she's going to voice Lara then I want her to be the best Lara she can be.

As I've said before though I don't even think it's wholly Camilla that's the "problem". I think there's issues with script writing and direction that are incredibly off and it's probably affecting her performance.

It's like I've said. I love her, and I love her work but I'm absolutely ok if people don't like what she's done on TR, or that think she needs improvements. I'm just baffled by the attittudes I've talked about, and I've been seeing a lot of it lately, as if it makes you look like the cool kid at school (I mean you in a general way, not you YOU).

Quote:

Originally Posted by iWANEX (Post 7857986)
A good way to keep your sanity is just going to Twitter, IGN or any other social media platform and read comments there.

I was thinking about this, and this is so true. Minus some "she has no boobs" comments, the reboot games are really well receved in Twitter/FB/Youtube

biscuits 18-04-18 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by iWANEX (Post 7857986)
I personally felt very guilty for loving the reboot era for a while. When Rise came out I truly felt as a criminal or something (lol), so coming here every day to defend the game was exhausting and in the end I just needed a break.

A good way to keep your sanity is just going to Twitter, IGN or any other social media platform and read comments there. It's amazing to see the HUGE praise these games receive, and it saddens me that fans of the newer games won't come here to talk about them because of the negativity that constantly surrounds this forum. It's also funny to see how most of the things criticized by classic fans, everyone else loves. It must be difficult for CD to try to please everyone and it might result in nobody wanting to play the games, just like it happened with Anniversary and Underworld. Hopefully, they learnt that lesson and will do their own thing now (bringing Jonah back is one of the things I liked the most. Just because a small minority don't want Lara talking to anyone except for rocks, doesn't mean they have to erase what was built in the first game. Most people outside of here want to know what happened to Sam, Jonah or Reyes.)

But I guess it's the same thing in all fandoms. I get the feeling that if I love the new God of War (I've never played the old ones and don't plan to do so), and visit their forums because I'm excited to talk about it and the future of the franchise, it will be flooded with negativity from classic fans. It's just the way it is.

I'm one of those people. I'll be really dissapointed if we end up not getting any closure on those characters. I want to know if Sam will still remain friends with Lara after all they've been through. Outside this place, people don't have a seething hatred for Sam (or Jonah). There's an entire twitter page dedicated to bringing Sam back!

As for your other points, you have to keep in mind that the reboot is a major rebranding in a long running franchise. I think things would be simple if the hate and criticism for it would be uninamous (like in DmC's case) but it's not. You have people that love Reboot Lara and those that hate her. There are also those that love Camilla and those who despise her voice acting. The reboot may be acclaimed outside these forums, but most people here have kept up with this franchise since it's debut. You can't expect them to not have strong opinions about the current direction.

2001LC20 18-04-18 12:40

^ That still doesn't make them 100% right about things they are mostly saying imo

Vaskito 18-04-18 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuits (Post 7857993)
You can't expect them to not have strong opinions about the current direction.

I don't have issues with people having a strong opinion, or disliking her.
I have issues when people do it in a demeaning way, mocking her work. Hers, and CD's work in a general sense. They are people working behind the scenes. People who put their love and sweat into bringing out the best product they can.

I know this is the Internet, and this is a forum. But words do hurt, no matter where they're said, and I think Crystal Dynamics / Square Enix / Eidos Montreal / Camilla Luddington deserve at very minimum some respect

Yeauxleaux 18-04-18 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2001LC20 (Post 7857997)
^ That still doesn't make them 100% right about things they are mostly saying imo

Nobody is really 100% right about anything here though, unless like what the others were saying earlier they're just being outright disrespectful ****s about it, then yes they'd be in the wrong then.

At the end of the days these are all just opinions. Me personally, I'm a bigger fan of "old Lara" (which I mean both CORE and LAU when I say that), and I'm not big on Reboot Lara, because I personally feel she's "not Lara enough" for me. Truth be told, that does influence my view of Reboot and makes me wish they'd make her more like Lara, which I vocalise on here as my opinion. Guess what though, that's an opinion, and that is okay, just like loving Reboot Lara is okay.

I might have slipped up here and there, but for the most part I personally am not vitriolic. I'm passionate yes, I want something closer resembling old Lara I'm not gonna lie, but I'm not treating this subject like it's such an issue of global importance that I'm gonna sit here and get in a vitriolic fight with people over it.

This applies to both sides. I'm happy to hold classic fans accountable and admit there are some who are too nitpicky, too blatantly rude and averse to any changes being made, that exists. At the same time though, there are also people in the Reboot fandom who are too sensitive to any criticsm of the Reboot, even if it's just an opinion or a fairly valid and/or constructive criticism. Some can be too quick to shout us down just because some of us struggle to see "Lara" in this character, or don't like the idea of her being changed beyond recognition. Sometimes that's not fair either. This isn't to shame anyone in particular, I'm just making a point that the toxicity is not one-sided. If you get upset reading this then I don't know what to say really.