Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   TR6 On PSX? (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=224204)

Felix Kroft 28-03-20 17:41

TR6 On PSX?

Deactivated.

Caesum 28-03-20 18:35

Recreating TRAOD in its full glory [I]while keeping it within PSX limits[/I] is impossible.

You can try to make a reimagined version of TRAOD, but using just original TR4/TRLE engine would make it necessary to completely redesign puzzles and some boss fights and levels. For example you can't create a moving and climbable contraption like in the Serpent Rouge. I don't think you can even make moving blocks like in the Hall of Seasons. Crumbling floor from the Wrath of the Beast would be impossible too.

TRNG would allow a bit more freedom but it is not available on PSX.

Felix Kroft 28-03-20 21:26

Deactivated.

b122251 28-03-20 23:50

The possibility of this depends on your expectations.
You could make custom levels for one of the old games in the style of TRAOD, following its plot. But you need to know that it would play nothing like TRAOD did. It would effectively just be new levels for old TR. It would be a cool project, but since it would take a huge amount of time, it'd be hard to find anybody who'd do it.

Kapu 29-03-20 00:29

[QUOTE=Felix Kroft;8181262]
Do You think that this would be possible?[/QUOTE]

Eh, like you said, it's more likely to remain a wild dream.

All the levels would have to be rebuilt from scratch (a huge task, but not impossible) but many aspects would have to be changed to accommodate what the old engine was capable of. So it wouldn't play like AOD, it would play and feel like a classic. Maybe not such a bad thing, some of the things that make AOD unique would be lost.

But, getting the game onto PSX would be the most difficult part. Those projects where people ported Unfinished Business and The Golden Mask to PSX were really painstaking to accomplish. AFAIK we don't have a TOM2PSX program anywhere (aka a program to convert levels built on PC to playable PSX levels), so the conversion would have to be by hand, ala the expansion pack ports. Is it even possible? Maybe...?

At the end of the day, a TRLE de-make is a lot more attainable. There have been a handful of AOD sequels worked on in TRLE over the years (although none that I know have been finished and released), so there's definitely an interest.

What I personally think would be more interesting to see (and this is fully in not-ever-happening-dream territory) is TRC on PS2. That would have been really cool, I think. :D Pretty much TRC as it stands gameplay wise, but with early PS2 graphics.

b122251 29-03-20 07:17

[QUOTE=Kapu;8181328]AFAIK we don't have a TOM2PSX program anywhere (aka a program to convert levels built on PC to playable PSX levels), so the conversion would have to be by hand, ala the expansion pack ports. Is it even possible? Maybe...?[/QUOTE]
Well, you're half-right about that. We don't have any official PSX conversion tools, but I have written programs to convert PC levels to the PSX for TR1 and TR2. (Porting Golden Mask was indeed still really difficult, though)

klona 29-03-20 11:15

There has been so many attempts to remake AOD in TRLE. The team collapsed each time. Even teams that tried to revive a cancelled project.

You might think it's possible because it is. However, not with humans working on it. The scope is just too gigantic for even just 10 people to work on it and have it released in 5 years. Let alone make it work on PSX.

There are other non TRLE remakes going on if you're interested:
[url]https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223307[/url]

[url]https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=212789[/url]

CheshireBitch 29-03-20 12:07

Making it work on PSX would a TOTAL nightmare in my opinion. Constantly having to check the very limited limits of the engine...
I mean... people had even troubles to get the "gold levels" to work on PSX, I think lost artifact can't be played on psx ?
It would be really a very very hard work

But the idea is cool.

I remember around 2006/2007 some people tried to recreate Legend with TRLE, never saw the light of day, it's too bad...

TheBlueFox 29-03-20 15:37

[QUOTE=b122251;8181356]Well, you're half-right about that. We don't have any official PSX conversion tools. [/QUOTE]

We have Core's original PSX converter tools for TR4/TR5.
TR5 Custom level on PS1:

[youtube]Aeq-PrU0hmY[/youtube]

TR4 Times on PS1 (Complete version with working secrets just the cutscene that hasn't been added yet.)

[youtube]NJY5kL_YqGo[/youtube]

b122251 29-03-20 17:46

[QUOTE=TheBlueFox;8181436]We have Core's original PSX converter tools for TR4/TR5.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that. Could you perhaps send me a link or something?