Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Classic Tomb Raiders optimal settings? Ps3 psn downloaded (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223203)

raidergeekdude 01-08-19 15:30

Classic Tomb Raiders optimal settings? Ps3 psn downloaded

Anyone play the classic psn tomb raiders on the ps3? I’m trying to get the optimal image or graphics for my tv. I’m using a q60r Samsung 4k uhd tv. It’s suppose to be a gaming tv and when I’m playing classic tomb raider the frame rate looks really great but there’s like a distortion in between her arms and legs when she jumps or runs like pixels can’t keep up with whatever’s going on,I don’t know, I tried altering the settings on ps3 changing upscaling and smoothing on and off and it didn’t seem to do anything...maybe someone who has the same tv or same kinda tv can help me out..thanks

Dustie 01-08-19 15:54

That sounds like image tearing, but maybe you could make a video by filming your TV as it happens to give people a better idea what the issue is.

raidergeekdude 01-08-19 17:29

I don’t know

Doesn’t seem to let me post attachments or videos on here. I have an email address so I can send attachments like that. My email is [email]thunderb0ltmickey@gmail.com[/email]

laravision 01-08-19 18:34

I doubt many people will want to mess around with email attachments when there exists more convenient ways to share video clips. If you have a YouTube account, you can upload clips as unlisted and share the link here. Alternatively, you can upload to other video streaming sites, such as Streamable (no account needed).

raidergeekdude 01-08-19 19:31

Yea I can’t upload videos my internet is way too slow for that ...when I look up screen tearing all I see is videos of a single very define line going thru the screen, so I don’t think it’s that. The only area I’m getting distortion is around Lara’s body when she runs, just the pixels around her body. It’s sorta strange,I don’t know if I’m nitpicking or if it’s always been like that and I’m just now realizing it but I’m pretty sure I’m not just noticing it because I played tomb raider games forever and never noticed this. Though I mostly played on plasma TVs now I’m playing it on a new qled tv..but it’s a 2019 tv that supposedly has upscaling capabilities,so I don’t know why it would make tomb raider look worse or if it’s ps3 settings doing that..

LuckyEdge10 01-08-19 23:47

[QUOTE=raidergeekdude;8116659]Yea I can’t upload videos my internet is way too slow for that ...when I look up screen tearing all I see is videos of a single very define line going thru the screen, so I don’t think it’s that. The only area I’m getting distortion is around Lara’s body when she runs, just the pixels around her body. It’s sorta strange,I don’t know if I’m nitpicking or if it’s always been like that and I’m just now realizing it but I’m pretty sure I’m not just noticing it because I played tomb raider games forever and never noticed this. Though I mostly played on plasma TVs now I’m playing it on a new qled tv..but it’s a 2019 tv that supposedly has upscaling capabilities,so I don’t know why it would make tomb raider look worse or if it’s ps3 settings doing that..[/QUOTE]

A video clip would help us a lot. Just record a video with your phone and put it on YT. Even if your connection is slow, I don't think the video will last long. Shorter the clip, shorter the upload time.

laravision 01-08-19 23:52

These older games were never really designed to be played on the modern TVs we have today, they were intended to be viewed on CRTs in their native resolutions. If you're expecting a modern display, alongside the PS3's subpar emulation to display them correctly, it's not going to happen without a ton of hassle. Even if you throw all the bells and whistles (enhancements) at it, the outcome can still be rather crap. The PS3's emulation is based on 1:1 emulation with minor smoothing/speed additions; it doesn't alter the internal rendering resolution like PC emulators, it just upscales, and poorly at that.

Now, if there really is something overly irregular happening with the image, then perhaps it may be some setting with the TV. Or the fact that you mentioned that you previously played on a plasma TV - I've heard that good Plasma TVs scale older stuff much better than your average modern display, but I doubt that is the case here. Also doubtful - this new QLED technology could be culprit somehow, but I know nothing about this.

As mentioned, the PS3's settings are very limited where emulation is concerned. Try to tinker with different combinations of settings from the PS game options (smoothing, full etc), your actual PS3 display output settings (480/576, 720p,1080p etc), and other features your TV may have. You might need to pick and choose your battles between the PS3's settings and those available on the TV.

Is it convenient for you to get the PC versions of these classic TR games? You can still find physical CD versions or buy them digitally via steam or gog. There are also many fan-made patches and utilities, should you run into trouble setting them up on modern OS, or if you'd like extra enhancements such as widescreen or other modifications.
If you're looking for the classic PlayStation experience, I recommend looking into running these games through emulation on a PC.

mizuno_suisei 02-08-19 01:55

Insider tip

The new PS Classic is very easily moddable to add tr games. Native HDMI

Dan-d 02-08-19 07:52

It's most likely the feature enabled on your TV called Motion Plus. It's makes the media look smooth 60fps, however it can't keep up with fast motion like the one on Lara. The jelly effect also happens with action packed movies.
Turning it off in TV setting will fix it for you, but the image will render in native FPS (which up to 30 in TR1)

Dustie 08-08-19 14:11

[QUOTE=raidergeekdude;8116659]Yea I can’t upload videos my internet is way too slow for that ...when I look up screen tearing all I see is videos of a single very define line going thru the screen, so I don’t think it’s that. The only area I’m getting distortion is around Lara’s body when she runs, just the pixels around her body. It’s sorta strange,I don’t know if I’m nitpicking or if it’s always been like that and I’m just now realizing it but I’m pretty sure I’m not just noticing it because I played tomb raider games forever and never noticed this. Though I mostly played on plasma TVs now I’m playing it on a new qled tv..but it’s a 2019 tv that supposedly has upscaling capabilities,so I don’t know why it would make tomb raider look worse or if it’s ps3 settings doing that..[/QUOTE]

I was going to say, it could be the upscaling. Try whatever options there are in your TV.