www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Underworld (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What did you like or dislike about TR Underworld (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=226345)

Frceghst8 12-07-21 00:19

What did you like or dislike about TR Underworld

Overall I liked the game. However it needed boss battles I.m.o

Greenapple968 12-07-21 01:06

I really didn't like anything about the game; I didn't even make it to the end of the first level when I stopped playing the game and didn't return to it. :p

xdesperado_ 12-07-21 01:15

What I liked about Underworld:

- Lara's model (she reminds me of Core classic Lara for some reason)
- The graphics, which have aged incredibly well (can't say the same for the PS2/Wii versions though)
- The first half of the game (Thailand & Southern Mexico being the highlights)
- Lara's doppelgänger (especially the awesome teaser trailer showing Croft Manor being blown up)
- Alister getting killed off
- Lara's Shadow was cool (played it for the first time ever last year) it's kind of overrated, but it's only decent for me.
- The final cutscene in Lara's Shadow when Lara's doppelgänger watches Natla die.

What I didn't like about Underworld:

- The game's short length
- The second half of the game felt boring
- Natla's return, her presence was underwhelming
- Not having a proper Croft Manor level (outside of the story)
- The story wasn't particularly great
- All of the thrall enemies were annoying (in general the enemies in this game weren't interesting)
- Terrible combat system & the weapons were horribly balanced (most of which were underpowered)
- Awkward platforming & camera movement (the game feels unpolished overall)
- The soundtrack isn't very memorable (a downgrade from Legend's)
- The ending

Chamayoo 12-07-21 11:24

Good points :

- Graphics and artstyle
- Platforming in general, thanks to Lara's incredible moveset
- Nice soundtracks
- The outfits are generally good and I like the fact we could choose them before starting the level.
- Nice puzzles and correct level design
- Enemies were varied and some originals
- Keeley Hawes
- Natla was funny
- The balance between combat/exploration/puzzles was alright
- The first half was really enjoyable
- The underwater mechanics, I love that you could fight and interact a lot while swimming.

Bad points :

- Laborious secret system, not rewarding.
- No boss fights
- Story was meh and cheesy
- Animation not really good to look at
- Overall unpolished
- Like the variety of weapons but not really useful and no ammos to look at.
- The last half was dull and generally disappointing
- Combat isn't really good mostly because the dodges didn't work properly

perryloo 13-07-21 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frceghst8 (Post 8309344)

I am sure Underpuss (the Big Octopussy)was a boss :p

https://i.postimg.cc/kDr81CNC/Craken-Kraken.jpg

Frceghst8 13-07-21 23:11

To perryloo

Lol, Octopussy, great 007 reference. The Kraken is the official name for the giant octobeast if I remember correctly. Nope the giant octopus wasn't a boss it was a puzzle. :tea:

Mek 14-07-21 06:18

What I liked:
  • graphics

What I disliked:
  • story
  • combat
  • atmosphere
  • camera's behaviour
  • Lara's personality
  • domination of platforming involving edges
  • lack of Croft Manor

gr00tcake 15-07-21 00:24

Pros
-Added moves
-Thailand's Scenery
-

Cons (here we go)
-Lara's model, would have preferred if they kept the 2007 alpha version (similar to the one from legend)
-The controls were horrible! Why could they not have just used the Legend engine and improve on that
-I didn't like how we had access to all the weapons on the PDA. Would have preferred collecting guns and ammo
-More urban locations were needed IMO, considering the second half of the game was quite bland
-Croft Manor :(
-Lack of Replay value (time trials, outfits etc)

Rai 15-07-21 02:58

It's been a long time since I've played it. I made an attempt just before Shadow released but got bored. So from memory.

Liked:

The graphics are very pretty, especially Thailand.
Thailand
This exchange: "I'm very pleased to see you again, Lara." "Jacqueline Natla, you just don't know when to die. "
The underwater section of the Arctic Sea.
The puzzle to JN's 'boss fight'.

Dislike:

Camera - it makes me feel iffy.
Lara's model. It needed to be more like Legend's model.
Pots and more pots
That blue maze area.
The level names confused me so much :o.
The combat system. It worked fine in Legend, it was fine in Ani, so 'refining' it for TRU made it feel oddly awkward and complicated. Same with the grapple.
Over abundance of thralls.
Lara randomly throwing the hammah at Natla instead of actively attacking her with it.
Blue goo.
Amelia's demise. Not the emotion Lara goes through, just the 'oops we almost forgot, better put her in' feel to her appearance. Same with the dais travel system. Had Lara forgotten her initial motivation for going on this adventure?
The story overall. Natla appearing wasn't unappreciated, but I feel the original concepts would have been better. Oh and pretty much abandoning the Arthurian myth for the Norse one.
Having to kill the Kraken, which was basically imprisoned as a guardian of sorts. I never saw it as a proper threat.
Corridors.
Jerky movements for some animations.
The repeated Andaman sea section.
The menu.

JuditePrince12 17-07-21 00:07

My biggest complaint was how buggy it was. Her animations took a noticeable dip in quality compared to Anniversary and Legend. Everything about the game was very broken, jerky and annoying to play through. Second biggest complaint was the story. At the start of the LAU trilogy, Legend was so amazing and promising but after that both Anniversary and Underworld had meh stories. Granted I like Natla but forcing her to be tied in with Lara's father just made all of Underworld boring with a disappointing finish.

Frceghst8 17-07-21 14:09

Thailand

Thailand is gorgeous, great soundtracks, I liked the climbing challenges.

Cat Woman 19-07-21 15:26

I also enjoyed TRU. Mind you, I haven’t played any TR games that I didn’t like. :)
I just play through and enjoy the scenery and all the challenges, etc. I’m not as proficient in any of the time trials, etc. Some of those are frustrating for me. :hea:

Edit: I meant all the timed runs to either get an artifact and/or get to a certain point.

Frceghst8 19-07-21 20:28

^ You don't have to do the time trials, they're optional.

Dennis's Mom 20-07-21 01:16

Things I liked:

The scale. Finally areas were huge, and many of the areas felt old school. Finding multiple items across multiple areas to do move forward.

The graphics were great.

The ability to change Lara's outfit.

Riding a giant hammer.

The adrenaline dodge. I don't care if it's a trope now, it still looks cool and Lara, first and foremost, should look cool.

Things I didn't like:

Kicking open pots. *yawn*

Combat system in that I never felt Lara was evasive enough, also lack of stealth.

The story was crap.

Having to ride a motorcycle through the jungle on a timed run when I had a grapple and could just have dropped over the wall to enter the underground.

Frceghst8 20-07-21 02:50

The story was crap huh? Well, to each their own. I thought it was okay, could have been better, but crap ; nah I gotta disagree.

Avalon SARL 24-07-21 04:32

Like:

Graphix

Music

Some levels were interesting in their design

Dislikes:

Lara's animations. She did move smoothly and jump, but What a disgraceful downgrade from TRL and TRA.

Shooting underwater with pistols. Even if it is possible to shoot underwater I am 100% sure it can't be done the way Lara did it. It made me feel I was controlling a superhero of some sort

A BLIND Kraken who happens to be sitting right below the SPIKES.... COME ON :hea:

The thralls were horrible.

How Lara killed the thralls and enemies by JUMPING ON THEM. Super Mario Inspiration :hea:

Amanda and her powers. Felt like a clip inspired by a TV series about Xmen or something.

The doppelganger was awful.

Too many cutscenes that do everything instead of us playing the game.

The bluish levels at the end; no variety in the color palete at all

AN UNDERGROUND CROFT MANOR... WT* IS THAT. R U KIDDING ME CD.

This whole game is based on symmetry.
Everything is divided into two; a left side and a right side where it feels like you are doing the same thing twice for no more than just rushing things out because the developers are out of original ideas.

Taking the conic secret chime music and spreading it everywhere it made the soundeffect feel awful. And what's with all this potterry scatterred everywhere. Diamonds to collect for what reason????

I am sure there are even more; been long time since I played it.

Chamayoo 24-07-21 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalon SARL (Post 8311567)
Too many cutscenes that do everything instead of us playing the game.

In Underworld ? When a good amount of time Lara is talking to her camera ? The only game to not feature any QTE since Legend ? And before all the cinematic setpieces in the reboot games ?
Maybe I agree with you compare to the Classics. :ponder:

Avalon SARL 24-07-21 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamayoo (Post 8311590)
In Underworld ? When a good amount of time Lara is talking to her camera ? The only game to not feature any QTE since Legend ? And before all the cinematic setpieces in the reboot games ?
Maybe I agree with you compare to the Classics. :ponder:

Been a time since I played the game but let me try and remember some.

Lara's fights with the doppelganger are all cinematic :mad:

There is this scene with Lara's zombie mother; it is all a cutscene
I wanted the interaction to be a gameplay and I have a decision of hat to do; shoot the stupid mother or not

When Amanda throws the bracelet into the sea; Lara jumps and gets it back in a cutscene

She reads RJC on a tree trunk in Thailand and knows who RJC is

A cutscene takes you directly to an underground croft manor, and Lara finds that button that opens the coffin.

If you look deeply into the game, it has many cutscenes that should have been playable instead.

ThirteenCroft 24-07-21 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalon SARL (Post 8311666)
I wanted the interaction to be a gameplay and I have a decision of hat to do; shoot the stupid mother or not

Actually in the Nintendo DS version, the cutscene stops and you have to shoot Amelia :vlol: it even plays in slow motion and you see her rotten corpse dropping dead into the pit lmao

Chamayoo 24-07-21 19:22

Quote:

Lara's fights with the doppelganger are all cinematic :mad:

Yeah with this weird decision to not fight bosses, we missed a lot of opportunities unfortunately.

Quote:

While the scene was disappointing, I didn't expect anything of this genre. Underworld never was a narrative heavy game and at this time only Angel of Darkness experimented with this mechanic of narrative choices in the franchise. Would have been cool nevertheless.

Quote:

When Amanda throws the bracelet into the sea; Lara jumps and gets it back in a cutscene

Funny because years ago I also imagined something like getting back to the sea to catch the glove from Amanda. Feel like of a bonus gameplay section than something really missing though so I don't mind.

Quote:

She reads RJC on a tree trunk in Thailand and knows who RJC is

Hmmm I don't know what you could do with that. See the trunk, press action ?

Quote:

A cutscene takes you directly to an underground croft manor, and Lara finds that button that opens the coffin.

On this one, I totally agree with you. Would love to visit a non-ruined Croft Manor before the tragedy. Also looking for riddles to find the grave would have totally made sense. Missed opportunity... but probably mean getting an extra time working on the game which haven't many at all unfortunately.

I really understand your frustration. I remember getting annoyed in Shadow too, in the end of the tomb in Cozumel Lara was solving the puzzle in cutscene and I was like... "Why can't we, players, do that ?" :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirteenCroft (Post 8311671)
Actually in the Nintendo DS version, the cutscene stops and you have to shoot Amelia :vlol: it even plays in slow motion and you see her rotten corpse dropping dead into the pit lmao

Oh my god I forgot that haha !

xdesperado_ 24-07-21 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirteenCroft (Post 8311671)

I just looked this up on YouTube and I lol'd so hard, it looks so silly.

medioka_music 24-07-21 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frceghst8 (Post 8310803)
The story was crap huh? Well, to each their own. I thought it was okay, could have been better, but crap ; nah I gotta disagree.

The story just looking at the artifact itself is interesting but everything else about the story (tying natla in, the mother arc etc) just screams cheesy Hollywood movie. The early TR games weren't always the strongest in terms of story but they didn't take themselves too seriously whereas this game does to the point where it's just cringe worthy :ohn:

JAMJOOM 27-07-21 01:03

Tomb Raider Underworld HD-Mods

Hello guys

I made a simple remastered graphics Mods, I hope it's good
take a look here

Thank you Mr Bug for your support

https://i.imgur.com/ab8qnEn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Q2Yi9MK.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLIh...l=JAMJOOMGAMER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOST...b_channel=MBog

Rai 27-07-21 09:27

That's nice, Jamjoom, but perhaps a new thread would have been a good idea.

JAMJOOM 28-07-21 18:55

love this

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai (Post 8312100)
That's nice, Jamjoom, but perhaps a new thread would have been a good idea.

thanx :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Greenapple968 29-07-21 02:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMJOOM (Post 8312367)
thanx :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

It's good that you took the advice and created the thread. :tmb:

JAMJOOM 05-08-21 05:30

love this

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frceghst8 (Post 8309344)

Well, I didn't give the topic a right answer when I was busy marketing my mods:jmp:
When I tested the ps2 version, I discovered that it contains essential ideas
Although it was very ugly and sarcastic
Unlike the remaster, it looks a bit short and very rigid
The ends that were cropped out for the dlc were pretty cool
The strange thing is that it was very important and complementary to the main story
It was not available on any platform other than Xbox, and this is a clear neglect
I feel like Square Enix destroyed their own game
Despite all these years, the game did not get any improvements
No new releases
Although the public is asking for it
They just want to get rid of the classic of the game by destroying it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenapple968 (Post 8312437)
It's good that you took the advice and created the thread. :tmb:

:D:D:D:D:D;)

RAID 05-08-21 07:22

Liked:
Graphics of the environment
Lara working alone with no headset
Huge maps to explore up until Mexico
Tomb Raider 3 vibe in Thailand
Dark atmosphere
Reference to real lie myths and legends
Major overall improvement over Anniversary

Disliked:
Terrible animations
Ultra fast Lara
Ledge hopping and simple traversing
Magnetic Lara offering little challenge
Simple puzzles and hand holding
Drunken camera
Lara's horrible model
Starting the game armed to the teeth
No replay value
General bugs and glitches
Poor underwhelming story

JsotoTRSaga 05-08-21 08:37

I loved Underworld, my only complaint is that it had way too many stuff cut out that definitely would have benefited and enriched the game enormously. Also I didn't enjoy the overuse of eitr and grey areas towards the end game.

Chamayoo 05-08-21 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga (Post 8313836)
I loved Underworld, my only complaint is that it had way too many stuff cut out that definitely would have benefited and enriched the game enormously. Also I didn't enjoy the overuse of eitr and grey areas towards the end game.

Jan Mayen wouldn't be so unpopular if they didn't cut the hub in the exterior, I believe. It was really lacking this bit that would defer to the rest of the game.

DOPE 08-08-21 10:59

I liked how colorful Thailand was, some parts of Mexico I consider good, the Manor level and Lara’s movement system when the controls don’t glitch.. everything else a mess.

Frceghst8 08-08-21 14:45

@ Dope : Aww, you didn't like the Norse mythology in game? I wish they would have expanded on it. Just imo.

Mr. Mr. 16-08-21 16:59

I wanted to like this game. I really, really did. But it just has too many game-breaking bugs to enjoy. There were two separate instances where I was unable to complete a level because of a major bug that forced me to start the level all over again- one in Thailand (lever didn't appear) and the other in Mexico (an item I picked up earlier in the level was strangely not in my inventory at the end).

Also, I think it was a mistake for the first level of the game (not counting the flash forward in Lara's Home) involved swimming, especially since it's a fetch quest to enter the main underground area.

Frceghst8 17-08-21 12:51

Xbox version or PC version? ^

Mr. Mr. 19-08-21 16:38

The lever bug was in the Wii version, the inventory bug was in the XBox 360 version. I fared better in the PS3 version included in the HD Trilogy, though.

Blackmoor 19-08-21 17:37

Like:

-"Drop it, Zip, or I'll drop you"
-"I need Thor's belt to get his hammer, and I need the hammer to kill a god".
-Mexico and Thailand graphics
-Some of Lara's movements - very gymnastic-y
-Some of the Amanda / Lara moments together near the end

Dislike:

-Doppleganger
-Eitr
-Eitr beings
-How Lara's mum died. It wasn't built up properly or given the emotion it needed.
-Valhalla
-Avalon not being Avalon but some base near the north pole
-I didn't hate it but I wasn't really into all the Norse stuff.
-Blowing up Croft Manor

Evil Doggos 30-08-21 00:52

Opinions change I guess and while the game has bugs and issues, it is easily better than 2013, Rise and Shadow. Been a year and a half but it is a fun game with some of the best levels in the franchise to date. I put it above Legends even. I appreciate the open levels and the way it encouraged exploration. Combat felt too easy though.