www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Legend (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Skyboxes and Loading Screens: Upscaled + Fixed (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=226556)

Ameliorator 31-08-21 16:16

Skyboxes and Loading Screens: Upscaled + Fixed
 
Hi everyone :)

This a post I'm making to showcase 2 of the mods that I've made for the old gen version of the game. As it says in the title, I've upscaled and made fixes to all the loading screens and most of the skyboxes in the game.

Skyboxes:

For the skyboxes, I used the next-gen versions of the skybox textures to do the upscaling, since they were higher quality to begin with. The fixes I made were mostly cleaning up of the sections where the 2 sky textures meet (none of them actually matched up properly) and then getting rid of all the compression artifacts. I ignored changing the Croft Manor skybox because it is barely viewable and looks fine from what you are able to see. I also left out England for the same reasons but mainly because it's just a black square.

https://i.imgur.com/QnRyekt.jpg‏‏‎ ‎https://i.imgur.com/t3uzPgS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MpZm55l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9IwCpYO.jpg

Loading Screens:

For the loading screens, I did what ATombRaiderFan has done and used the 4:3 aspect ratio versions of the mission prep screen and the rewards / after credits screen. The widescreen versions of the main game loading screens are actually in a 2:1 ratio. The majority of peoples computers screens today are 1920x1080 in the 16:9 ratio, which means the game's loading screens are always getting stretched for most of us. When I upscale the images, it doubles them in size. This meant I was able to then downsize and adjust the images to fit 1920x1080 without making them look stretched.

https://i.imgur.com/3F2GCZp.jpg‏‏‎ ‎https://i.imgur.com/nhZ5IxX.jpg

There are some more comparison pictures here

ATombRaiderFan 31-08-21 16:41

Great to see this thread up and running, and thank you for the shoutout :)

I have to say the difference in quality for the Tokyo and Ghana skyboxes really shows, so I think this mod is essential. The new loading screens looks absolutely stunning too.

Thank you for your hard work!

Ameliorator 31-08-21 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan (Post 8318481)
Great to see this thread up and running, and thank you for the shoutout :)

I have to say the difference in quality for the Tokyo and Ghana skyboxes really shows, so I think this mod is essential. The new loading screens looks absolutely stunning too.

Thank you for your hard work!

Aw I really appreciate that thank you! I wanted to keep these mods as vanilla as possible so Iím glad you think itís essential. And yeah Japan was actually the first level I tested out for this project. When I saw the new skybox I was genuinely shocked it was amazing haha

ATombRaiderFan 01-09-21 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ameliorator (Post 8318490)
Aw I really appreciate that thank you! I wanted to keep these mods as vanilla as possible so I’m glad you think it’s essential. And yeah Japan was actually the first level I tested out for this project. When I saw the new skybox I was genuinely shocked it was amazing haha

No problem! I'm actually quite excited to see more people taking interest in modding for Legend.

BTW you might want to mention in the masterpost of this thread that it's vital to make sure your tpf files occupy the top spots in the TexMod list when mixed with Old Gen+, because the highest tpf files takes priority. Old Gen+ have 3 loading screen edits that would be used instead if the order is wrong.

Ameliorator 01-09-21 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan (Post 8318543)
No problem! I'm actually quite excited to see more people taking interest in modding for Legend.

BTW you might want to mention in the masterpost of this thread that it's vital to make sure your tpf files occupy the top spots in the TexMod list when mixed with Old Gen+, because the highest tpf files takes priority. Old Gen+ have 3 loading screen edits that would be used instead if the order is wrong.

Hey Iíve edited my post, thanks for the tip :)

And yeah Iím excited about this too. All these mods along with the TheLuckyEdge10 & TheIndraís mesh modding and the potential of us maybe some day having a Legend/Anniversary level editor is incredible

Ameliorator 02-09-21 14:49

EDIT: Added some detailed comparison pictures of textures to the masterpost

LateRaider 03-09-21 05:24

ameliorator, atrf, you two should merge projects :D

Ameliorator 03-09-21 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8318821)
ameliorator, atrf, you two should merge projects :D

Lol I wouldnít be against that if it was something ATRF was okay with. I donít know if theyíre interested in these fixes being part of the old gen+ mod

ATombRaiderFan 03-09-21 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ameliorator (Post 8318850)
Lol I wouldn’t be against that if it was something ATRF was okay with. I don’t know if they’re interested in these fixes being part of the old gen+ mod

I'm okay with the idea of merger because I always thought of Old Gen+ as a community project. After all Old Gen+ isn't just made up of my work but also MachoBroccoli's.

Ameliorator 03-09-21 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan (Post 8318868)
I'm okay with the idea of merger because I always thought of Old Gen+ as a community project. After all Old Gen+ isn't just made up of my work but also MachoBroccoli's.

Yeah Steve (MachoBroccoli) made some great fixes to the game too. I'm happy for my mods to be part of Old Gen+, I wanted all the mods to be able to be used together anyway. Plus it's always more convenient to have multiple different fixes grouped together :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:50.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.