Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   What would’ve been a better alternative to Paititi? (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223146)

Grimaldi 23-07-19 07:53

What would’ve been a better alternative to Paititi?

I suppose it’s safe to say that, for a majority of fans, Paititi didn’t go down as well as the developers had hoped. It’s been often discussed why, but I’m curious to know, what would you guys have preferred?

It’s clear the city is what sets Shadow apart from previous games, but it’s also to its detriment. What would you have changed? Does the idea of a large hub spanning most of the game have potential? Are social hubs and side quests a big “no” for this series? Do you have another idea entirely?

jackoimina 23-07-19 08:29

Personally, it is unimaginable for me that a huge area like Paititi, filled with people and life, doesn't have a single important AND well developed side character. What CD does is NOT how you do it, you don't give stories only to characters you wanna kill later - in Paititi, we only really had Unuratu and she was there only to die. With her gone, after you finish the main story, there is absolutely noone to interact with, you can only do fetch quests and stuff but none of it seems important or gives any real meaning to Lara etc so there is little incentive to actually do any of it. DLCs that came out later are pretty much the same, just npcs with a name giving you smth to do. No point in having a hub like that (filled with people you are supposed to spend time around and interact with) if none of those people are characters. That would fix it for me probably more than anything else, bc I love the location itself:)

johnanonymouz 23-07-19 09:00

I would have preferred a vast and deep jungle in the size of Paititi. Full of dangerous animals, beautiful sights and tombs. Not a single person in sight.

Raider8 23-07-19 09:33

At a point before the game's reveal i was expecting Paititi to be in caverns (like the mountain temple in paititi) hidden undet a huge mountain (let say silver crown mountain). I didn't expect it to be in the open in plain sight and not discovered by the world with this level of opennes. Rise did a really really good job hidding kitezh under the icebergs and it was so well hidden that lara had to take secret underground passageways to get there. I also would love to see lesser people and more ruins like the geothermal valley but i guess then the story losses its purpose.

Athukraz 23-07-19 12:07

[QUOTE=johnanonymouz;8112874]I would have preferred a vast and deep jungle in the size of Paititi. Full of dangerous animals, beautiful sights and tombs. Not a single person in sight.[/QUOTE]

This

biscuits 23-07-19 12:41

The premise of Paititi as a whole didn't work for me one bit. I just find it ludicrous how you have a living city filled with ancient Incans just going about their day in the middle of civilisation. Paititi is right next to San Juan and Kuwaqa Wakka, Lara says it herself! I also don't think the concept of a hidden city was done as well as it was in Rise. The Remnant actually felt like a hidden community, hiding out in the mountains. They didn't have a thriving city that stuck out like a sore thumb. Kitezh being hidden under a lake was really well executed. Lara had to find a fancy map and had to traverse underground ruins to get to the city.

And how did Jonah get to Paititi!!?? Seriously did he just waltz in like going on a walk to the grocery store or what.
But to answer your question, a better alternative was to go the Kitezh route and have Paititi be destroyed. When I first saw the CG trailer, I was under the impression that Lara actually travelled back in time to when the city was inhabited by people. Maybe the solution to stopping the apocalypse would be to go back in time through some fancy artefact to discover a ritual used to prevent the acoplayse. Better yet, she could go back in time to see HOW the city was destroyed to begin with. But no, they just gave us boring variants of the same character model that tell us to go dice hunting.

I know the devs were proud of Paititi (just look at how much they advertised it), but quite frankly it's very much the reason I dislike Shadow as much as I do.

Jamise_Croft 23-07-19 13:01

A Big old temple with a deep jungle, dangerous beasts, tombs and crypts

SoraSakai 23-07-19 13:23

A dark uninhabited jungle. The remains of a once great civilization, almost completely wiped out by Trinity. A once peaceful and loving people, forced to live deep underground in caves. Eventually becoming the Yaxil. When Lara takes the dagger at the beginning of the game she sets in motion a sequence of events that will lead towards a blood-moon-eclipse. An ancient magical event that will grant the Yaxil not only the power necessary to achieve vengeance against Trinity, but also wipe out the entire world and reclaim it as their own.

The only way to stop this is with the dagger and box, the combination of the two being the only thing strong enough to permanently wipe them out. Lara ultimately ends up having to help Trinity, as not doing so could potentially kill everyone on the planet, but part of her understands the Yaxil’s pain. This would also end up actually being a pay off to the hyped up “morally confused” Lara they kept yammering on about.

biscuits 23-07-19 13:36

[QUOTE=SoraSakai;8112969]A dark uninhabited jungle. The remains of a once great civilization, almost completely wiped out by Trinity. A once peaceful and loving people, forced to live deep underground in caves. Eventually becoming the Yaxil. When Lara takes the dagger at the beginning of the game she sets in motion a sequence of events that will lead towards a blood-moon-eclipse. An ancient magical event that will grant the Yaxil not only the power necessary to achieve vengeance against Trinity, but also wipe out the entire world and reclaim it as their own.

The only way to stop this is with the dagger and box, the combination of the two being the only thing strong enough to permanently wipe them out. Lara ultimately ends up having to help Trinity, as not doing so could potentially kill everyone on the planet, but part of her understands the Yaxil’s pain. This would also end up actually being a pay off to the hyped up “morally confused” Lara they kept yammering on about.[/QUOTE]

This is very interesting. I love it!

Legends 23-07-19 13:49

[QUOTE=SoraSakai;8112969]A dark uninhabited jungle. The remains of a once great civilization, almost completely wiped out by Trinity. A once peaceful and loving people, forced to live deep underground in caves. Eventually becoming the Yaxil. When Lara takes the dagger at the beginning of the game she sets in motion a sequence of events that will lead towards a blood-moon-eclipse. An ancient magical event that will grant the Yaxil not only the power necessary to achieve vengeance against Trinity, but also wipe out the entire world and reclaim it as their own.

The only way to stop this is with the dagger and box, the combination of the two being the only thing strong enough to permanently wipe them out. Lara ultimately ends up having to help Trinity, as not doing so could potentially kill everyone on the planet, but part of her understands the Yaxil’s pain. This would also end up actually being a pay off to the hyped up “morally confused” Lara they kept yammering on about.[/QUOTE]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=4][COLOR=#003F7E][I]This is very good. :D [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]